New to Forum, 7000+ battles, need help improving - check my stats?

newcomer blitzstars help

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

ODDEO_GUY #41 Posted 22 April 2020 - 03:16 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 6905 battles
  • [EZCOM]

Well, this has been interesting. 

Thinking about hitting "BATTLE" again after taking a break from the latest 10 day lesson in masochism, seeing if I could use some of the advice in this thread. So I pull up my 30 day, compare to the OP, and....

Every 30 day stat except WR is better. 

Puzzled, I decide to ask on the forum.

Can some of you vets explain what I am doing wrong?

EDIT to add: Hope this doesn't hijack OP's excellent thread, Mods please move if so.

Edited by ODDEO_GUY, 22 April 2020 - 03:23 PM.

acrisis #42 Posted 22 April 2020 - 05:31 PM

The Society ™ ***** Diplomat

• Players
  • 20893 battles
  • [III-C]

Good stats and game understanding don’t always translate in wins, in the short term. 

You can be blue, dark blue, ... and will still have loss streaks.

You are only one player on the team, and cannot for instance not overcome a team of 45% avg against a team of 55% avg, then they play their usual way, exceptions happen, but they’re rare. 

Lots of little things, you may be low tier, you may be grinding a tank with partial crew and modules, ... you have a yolo and an afk ... red may have a high tier purple platoon ... while you have a 41% toon. 

Lots of little things outside of your control help determine the win or the loss. 

Some battles may hang in the balance, and turn into a win with situational awareness ... by holding, pushing, retreating, keeping a team member alive, killing the top red, ... 

One thing is certain though, the better you play, the longer you stay alive, the more you get happy numbers and colors.  They all go hand in hand, and in turn should turn into more wins. 

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

[ NEW > ]  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified usingPingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii
Blitz University | Basic Training  |  Mentor  |  The Pingplotter Guy

Absolute_Sniper #43 Posted 22 April 2020 - 05:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 42658 battles
  • [CRUEL]

View PostODDEO_GUY, on 22 April 2020 - 03:16 PM, said:

Thinking about hitting "BATTLE" again after taking a break from the latest 10 day lesson in masochism, seeing if I could use some of the advice in this thread. So I pull up my 30 day, compare to the OP, and....

EDIT to add: Hope this doesn't hijack OP's excellent thread, Mods please move if so.

I experienced the same thing for around a 3 month period not long ago. For me it was breaking through a skill plateau. Stay the course and the WR will follow. 

I used to have a picture here but tiny pic took an arrow to the knee....

https://discord.gg/twdc4Dq

_Crusader6_ #44 Posted 22 April 2020 - 11:20 PM

The Society’s NA President

• Players
  • 66679 battles
  • [DEF]

View PostODDEO_GUY, on 22 April 2020 - 10:16 AM, said:

One of the best methods is to parse it by tanks.  
  Your WR is higher than his though. 
Try to find some like tanks you each play. 

Both of you jump around a lot in tiers and tank types - I wouldn’t recommend that at either of your points.  
  Some of your tanks have some skewed Spot rates - for instance your Vk28 and Bromwell have lower spots (nearly .2 lower for both) than your VK30.01(P) which is slower and not as nimble than those two, your 30.01(D) is almost .2 higher than your (P) which is odd since it’s both slower and less armored (albeit it has some slopes to angle and pitch). 

While I strongly recommend playing a lot of tanks in a tier before moving up, I don’t recommend jumping around a lot of those tanks at the same time until one of much more familiar with their characteristics.   

Tank Hoarder: 404 tanks in Garage:  418/418 Played Tanks Aced

NON LINE OF SIGHT MISSILES ARE AN AWFUL MECHANIC 

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

Gitgudm9 #45 Posted 23 April 2020 - 04:22 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 14532 battles
  • [MAHOU]
All of the other folks have provided great advice. See if you can't record a few games, OP, and post them so we can see what you're doing. Stats are only so much to go off of, after all.

"Anime girls were made to be lewded." - Klaus_Klavier

Jean_Luc_D_Argent #46 Posted 23 April 2020 - 05:52 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 9955 battles
  • [III-R]

View PostGitgudm9, on 23 April 2020 - 04:22 AM, said:

All of the other folks have provided great advice. See if you can't record a few games, OP, and post them so we can see what you're doing. Stats are only so much to go off of, after all.

I'm up for that, but would have to figure out how. I have replays "on" in my settings, but no clue how to get it into a format I could upload. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jean_Luc_D_Argent #47 Posted 23 April 2020 - 11:49 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 9955 battles
  • [III-R]

My plan is to focus on tier 6 mediums for now (T-34-85, AC IV Sentinel, Bromwell, maybe Easy8), and then if that is going well start trying out heavies (though honestly they don't appeal to me as much). I've had most of them before, so re-buying wouldn't be too difficult. If/when I improve (over 50% WR, higher damage/survival/kills) then maybe move up to tier 7. Trying to compile what I'm hearing in this thread, plus what's in the vids, etc, and implement what I can bit by bit.

However, the fun of Uprising may ruin my stats for a while...   =/

generalhonks #48 Posted 23 April 2020 - 02:22 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 6608 battles
  • [HOUSE]

View PostJean_Luc_D_Argent, on 23 April 2020 - 07:49 AM, said:

My plan is to focus on tier 6 mediums for now (T-34-85, AC IV Sentinel, Bromwell, maybe Easy8), and then if that is going well start trying out heavies (though honestly they don't appeal to me as much). I've had most of them before, so re-buying wouldn't be too difficult. If/when I improve (over 50% WR, higher damage/survival/kills) then maybe move up to tier 7. Trying to compile what I'm hearing in this thread, plus what's in the vids, etc, and implement what I can bit by bit.

However, the fun of Uprising may ruin my stats for a while...   =/

I’m pretty sure special modes such as Uprising don’t affect your stats. That’s why a lot of people yolo in these modes.

Missiles are not a problem, ya'll just jealous you aren't skilled enough to use them (Ok, ok I'm joking.:harp:).

"Well, one of the challenges of battles these days is learning how to get your team of brain dead monkeys to pull off a win against another team of better brain dead monkeys. I’m a brain dead monkey but at least I’m better than most brain dead monkeys." - generalhonks, 2020

Jean_Luc_D_Argent #49 Posted 23 April 2020 - 02:38 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 9955 battles
  • [III-R]

View Postgeneralhonks, on 23 April 2020 - 02:22 PM, said:

I’m pretty sure special modes such as Uprising don’t affect your stats. That’s why a lot of people yolo in these modes.

Good to know, thanks!

ODDEO_GUY #50 Posted 23 April 2020 - 02:53 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 6905 battles
  • [EZCOM]

View Postacrisis, on 22 April 2020 - 05:31 PM, said:

Good stats and game understanding don’t always translate in wins, in the short term. 

You can be blue, dark blue, ... and will still have loss streaks.

You are only one player on the team, and cannot for instance not overcome a team of 45% avg against a team of 55% avg, then they play their usual way, exceptions happen, but they’re rare. 

Lots of little things, you may be low tier, you may be grinding a tank with partial crew and modules, ... you have a yolo and an afk ... red may have a high tier purple platoon ... while you have a 41% toon. 

Lots of little things outside of your control help determine the win or the loss. 

Some battles may hang in the balance, and turn into a win with situational awareness ... by holding, pushing, retreating, keeping a team member alive, killing the top red, ... 

One thing is certain though, the better you play, the longer you stay alive, the more you get happy numbers and colors.  They all go hand in hand, and in turn should turn into more wins. 

Good stuff here, thank you for the perspective.

This last losing streak was brutal, I'd get in an 0 for 10 start and never dig out, end the day at 37%. Two days of this and I stopped playing after 15 or so battles at 35% so as not to dig a deeper hole. I will say I was tracking tiers one of the longer days, and I was 78% bottom tier over 51 games. I know many say it doesn't matter, but I don't see odd tiers in tourneys. If it didn't matter, why no tier 9s in cup, ascent etc? 

I'm also going to revisit paying attention to some of the other "little things"; Don't be first to die, Stay alive, Shoot my gun, etc

I hit "Battle" once yesterday, it was a birthday tank. Did OK, level 3 medal, second in DMG in a medium behind a TD that got top, and a win! 

ODDEO_GUY #51 Posted 23 April 2020 - 03:04 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 6905 battles
  • [EZCOM]

View Post__Crusader6__, on 22 April 2020 - 11:20 PM, said:

One of the best methods is to parse it by tanks.  
  Your WR is higher than his though. 
Try to find some like tanks you each play. 

Both of you jump around a lot in tiers and tank types - I wouldn’t recommend that at either of your points.  
  Some of your tanks have some skewed Spot rates - for instance your Vk28 and Bromwell have lower spots (nearly .2 lower for both) than your VK30.01(P) which is slower and not as nimble than those two, your 30.01(D) is almost .2 higher than your (P) which is odd since it’s both slower and less armored (albeit it has some slopes to angle and pitch). 

While I strongly recommend playing a lot of tanks in a tier before moving up, I don’t recommend jumping around a lot of those tanks at the same time until one of much more familiar with their characteristics.   

Thank you for the reply, I think we were looking at 30 day stats? 

Your spotting observations have me thinking....

Now I can't remember what I was thinking after being interrupted by a video call from two of the grandkids....! LOL

I think it was along the lines of maybe being too aggressive in some tanks? I feel over aggressiveness may be an overall issue. 

acrisis #52 Posted 23 April 2020 - 04:35 PM

The Society ™ ***** Diplomat

• Players
  • 20893 battles
  • [III-C]

Playing overly aggressive usually means you will take on more damage than you should ... something you cannot afford if you want control the end game. 

For a while, playing the game early on, low tiers did not know what all the symbols meant, what mechanics were in game, so a newbie but trying to be smart, I struggled with some red tanks on the enemy team, like the Hetzer. One of my strategies I tried was to spot early, then hold cover, figure out where the hetzer was and then early or mid games go behind enemy lines to get behind the Hetzer and kill it.  

Surely if I took out the top threat on the red team, my green team would have an easy win??? 

It would not be a YOLO, but you know, strategic, with successes and failures. 

Sometimes a bit later on with better timing, first making sure our team has the upper hand numbers wise, where we have an extra couple tanks. 

So you take out the biggest threat ... you sit there observing the rest of the battle ... going: NO! No! Don't do that. Omg. Aim! Focus this guy! Hold cover! Move! Look behind you! etc. etc. etc. ...

And you realize that if you want to control the end game ... you better be alive with some hit points left! 

So, don't be overly aggressive. Be actively engaged from the start. Get that first shot in, have hard cover, hopefully you don't run into a swarm of 5-7 reds tanks and get deep sixed early. 

Don't be over optimistic about your team mates abilities and ideas of how things should go. 

Play smart. Proceed with caution. Dish out as many shots as you can while minimizing incoming damage. Try to bounce what comes in or make it hit dirt/rock/... as you pull back. 

For maximum effect, try to spot and track enemies in the open, where your team mates can hit them, then track them again once they blew their repair kit ... while using targeting enemy calls. 

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

[ NEW > ]  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified usingPingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii
Blitz University | Basic Training  |  Mentor  |  The Pingplotter Guy

_Crusader6_ #53 Posted 23 April 2020 - 04:38 PM

The Society’s NA President

• Players
  • 66679 battles
  • [DEF]

View PostODDEO_GUY, on 23 April 2020 - 10:04 AM, said:

Thank you for the reply, I think we were looking at 30 day stats? 

Your spotting observations have me thinking....

Now I can't remember what I was thinking after being interrupted by a video call from two of the grandkids....! LOL

I think it was along the lines of maybe being too aggressive in some tanks? I feel over aggressiveness may be an overall issue. 

Yes looking at 30 day.  I was out at the range yesterday for the majority of the day - so just perusing on my phone so I didn’t dog a lot deeper.     When I get home today, I’ll look on the computer in more depth.  
   Aggressive is fine, as long as it’s controlled ;) 

When pushing early for spots try to ensure you are not either moving into a vulnerable position - and that you have a fallback option of pushed.   You don’t want to fully crest any terrain - all you need to do is pop the tip of your turret out, and pullback - just to ensure the 3 second delay on the light bulb isn’t giving you a false sense of security. 

I just looked at those 4 tier 6 tanks - but the spotting disparity jumped out at me. 

Tank Hoarder: 404 tanks in Garage:  418/418 Played Tanks Aced

NON LINE OF SIGHT MISSILES ARE AN AWFUL MECHANIC 

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

Jean_Luc_D_Argent #54 Posted 24 April 2020 - 05:17 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 9955 battles
  • [III-R]
Nevermind about Uprising. Too chaotic for me. Back to working on basic skillz.  

Also tagged with newcomer, blitzstars, help

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users