ARL44 is the Best Tier 6 Tank, Convince Me I'm Wrong

ARL44

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

_Cletus #1 Posted 12 May 2020 - 10:08 PM

[edited] Voodoo [edited] Wizard [edited]

• Players
  • 33657 battles

I've been talking about the ARL in another thread and I think it deserves it's own thread.  I think it's the best tier 6 tank, natch.  It's got pretty good mobility, decent armor, and an amazing gun.  It pens every tier 6 and does pretty good at penning tier 7 tanks.  It demolishes the KV-2.  It's more mobile than the VK 36.01 or the T-150.  It's got way better DPM than the KV-1S.  It's got 10 degrees of gun depression.  I think it's very much a swiss army knife, able to perform most roles on the battlefield pretty well.  Also, in the past few days I've played 67 battles at a 70% WR.  I'm not a 70% player, not even close, so it's been kind of amazing me over the past few days.

Tell me I'm wrong.  And while you're at it, back it up with a valid argument.  

If it burns when I pee, does that mean I wouldn't be a good fireman?

_warL0rd_ #2 Posted 12 May 2020 - 10:14 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 46176 battles
you are not wrong. But you will get focused by the enemy KV2 9 times out of 10 though, which gets really annoying

Boomer625 #3 Posted 12 May 2020 - 10:16 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 17804 battles
  • [MARDR]

Imagine being able to take out a huge chunk of an cocky top tier SP1Cs health with your 122 mm HE

this is why I like the Kv1s (speed, ramming armor), plus I dont have the ARL and I love the Kv1s peek and boom play style.

_Cletus #4 Posted 12 May 2020 - 10:16 PM

• Players
  • 33657 battles

View Post_warL0rd_, on 12 May 2020 - 04:14 PM, said:

you are not wrong. But you will get focused by the enemy KV2 9 times out of 10 though, which gets really annoying

I've been loving KV-2's in my ARL.  I've been loving them to death!  DEATH!

Of course, if that KV-2 gets a perpendicular shot on your sides you're hosed, but that applies to anything.

_Cletus #5 Posted 12 May 2020 - 10:18 PM

• Players
  • 33657 battles

View PostBoomer625, on 12 May 2020 - 04:16 PM, said:

Imagine being able to take out a huge chunk of an cocky top tier SP1Cs health with your 122 mm HE

this is why I like the Kv1s (speed, ramming armor), plus I dont have the ARL and I love the Kv1s peek and boom play style.

I do like the KV1-S.  It's a mobile armored derp, what's not to like?  The DPM is it's big weakness though.

acrisis #6 Posted 12 May 2020 - 10:44 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 22077 battles
  • [III-C]
... imagine if we had a meme thread for every tank in game ... 

BE     (+)   
>> Desktop mode  =>  + Recent topics   + Staff Posts 
    > WG Bugs & current update   > Feedback  
 > Videos   > Vehicle Bay   > Guides    

> PingPlotter >  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified using PingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii | Blitz University | Basic Training | Mentor | Pingplotter Guy

boris55555 #7 Posted 12 May 2020 - 11:26 PM

BORii Full Badge Society Member, and First Minister of FUNK

• Players
  • 38381 battles
  • [III-R]
Outside of redheads you’re usually wrong...why not now?

TIME TO BRING THE FORUM LINK BACK INTO THE GAME

If WG would permanently take away all of my temporary avatars, I would consider that a gift.” BAR_001

_Cletus #8 Posted 12 May 2020 - 11:40 PM

• Players
  • 33657 battles

View Postacrisis, on 12 May 2020 - 04:44 PM, said:

... imagine if we had a meme thread for every tank in game ... 

That would be ridiculous.  We should only make them for the good ones.

_Cletus #9 Posted 12 May 2020 - 11:42 PM

• Players
  • 33657 battles

View Postboris55555, on 12 May 2020 - 05:26 PM, said:

Outside of redheads you’re usually wrong...why not now?

I've been wrong before, I'm man enough to admit it.  Twice when I was in the eighth grade, once when I was 25.  But that time, being wrong felt so right, even if it was her sister.

Edited by _Cletus, 12 May 2020 - 11:42 PM.

Chiefmac #10 Posted 12 May 2020 - 11:45 PM

Forum Fire Chief (Ret)

• Players
  • 59761 battles
  • [ROTI]

View Post_Cletus, on 12 May 2020 - 03:42 PM, said:

I've been wrong before, I'm man enough to admit it.  Twice when I was in the eighth grade, once when I was 25.  But that time, being wrong felt so right, even if it was her sister.

So you’re saying the 8th grade was the 5 hardest years of your life? lol. 

Recent escapee from Kommiefornia to Texas. 

Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% my attitude. 

Chiefmac #11 Posted 12 May 2020 - 11:48 PM

Forum Fire Chief (Ret)

• Players
  • 59761 battles
  • [ROTI]

View Post_Cletus, on 12 May 2020 - 02:08 PM, said:

I've been talking about the ARL in another thread and I think it deserves it's own thread.  I think it's the best tier 6 tank, natch.  It's got pretty good mobility, decent armor, and an amazing gun.  It pens every tier 6 and does pretty good at penning tier 7 tanks.  It demolishes the KV-2.  It's more mobile than the VK 36.01 or the T-150.  It's got way better DPM than the KV-1S.  It's got 10 degrees of gun depression.  I think it's very much a swiss army knife, able to perform most roles on the battlefield pretty well.  Also, in the past few days I've played 67 battles at a 70% WR.  I'm not a 70% player, not even close, so it's been kind of amazing me over the past few days.

Tell me I'm wrong.  And while you're at it, back it up with a valid argument.  

I love the ARL. The most recent buff to the VK 36.01 H has made it very strong again too. 

Recent escapee from Kommiefornia to Texas. 

Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% my attitude. 

Kiwi_Kebab #12 Posted 12 May 2020 - 11:48 PM

Low-Calorie Snack

• Players
  • 11291 battles
  • [ENDDZ]

It's biggest cons are its large, weak sides, HE-pennable rear, pennable (but troll) turret face, and traverse speed. In addition, most premium ammo at tier 6 will render its frontal armor moot unless you're above your target. 

The best thing about it is it's versatility, having a good 90mm, great gun depression, and workable armor in addition to reasonable heavy mobility. It's a strong tier 6.

Unfortunately for you, the M6 is just as good. M6 is better hull down and better at side-scraping. It also has better effective power ratio and traverse speed. It's gun handling is also better. It also gets twice the camo value (which isn't saying much, but it's true!) The M6 has issues with its size and pennable frontal hull, and it's pen and reload are worse, but the pen is still sufficient for most targets and the DPM is only a 150 damage difference. 

Kiwi_Kebab's Signature

tater_WOT #13 Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:00 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 86270 battles
  • [III-P]

View PostKiwi_Kebab, on 12 May 2020 - 03:48 PM, said:

It's biggest cons are its large, weak sides, HE-pennable rear, pennable (but troll) turret face, and traverse speed. In addition, most premium ammo at tier 6 will render its frontal armor moot unless you're above your target. 

The best thing about it is it's versatility, having a good 90mm, great gun depression, and workable armor in addition to reasonable heavy mobility. It's a strong tier 6.

Unfortunately for you, the M6 is just as good. M6 is better hull down and better at side-scraping. It also has better effective power ratio and traverse speed. It's gun handling is also better. It also gets twice the camo value (which isn't saying much, but it's true!) The M6 has issues with its size and pennable frontal hull, and it's pen and reload are worse, but the pen is still sufficient for most targets and the DPM is only a 150 damage difference. 

But the ARL is so much better looking than the M6. Cept the stock turret on the ARL looks like a shed on a tank :teethhappy:

_Cletus #14 Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:03 AM

• Players
  • 33657 battles

View PostChiefmac, on 12 May 2020 - 05:45 PM, said:

So you’re saying the 8th grade was the 5 hardest years of your life? lol. 

:teethhappy:

_Cletus #15 Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:12 AM

• Players
  • 33657 battles

View PostKiwi_Kebab, on 12 May 2020 - 05:48 PM, said:

Yeah, but the M6 has basically no armor, it's everybody's target.  I wouldn't say it's better hulldown either.  It might have a slightly better turret, but with 10 degrees gd and great pen the ARL will definitely hold it's own there.

JakeBaby #16 Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:27 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3315 battles
  • [WTA10]

2 problem: 

1: if it's a good player, then they will kill me which is a big no-no, I don't know the rof so that trolls me every time

2: The stock turret is THE, you heard me, THE UGLIEST THING in THE WORLD......maybe ever [besides me ofc :trollface:] Like if there was one on my team, i would tell them to go on the other side of the map and die quickly. and people call fv4005 a sh*t barn. This one really deserves that title. I bet they ran out of materials and the porta potty manufacturer was happy to support them?

View Posttater_WOT, on 12 May 2020 - 08:00 PM, said:

But the ARL is so much better looking than the M6. Cept the stock turret on the ARL looks like a shed on a tank :teethhappy:

yeah arl not stock turret looks cool, but better than M6........ stop. the. drugs. dont do them. bad for you. makes your brain go brrr. brrreak. broke. you know what else is broke? me 

I do not have a single clue what I'm doing.

Tier X Wishlist: T-62A, Progetto 65, Kranvagn

Premium Wishlist: KV-5, Progetto 46, M6A2E1/[Experimental], Emil 1951

DanAnsomeHansome #17 Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:32 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 50197 battles

View PostKiwi_Kebab, on 12 May 2020 - 11:48 PM, said:

I agree with the OP. Although it has thin sides most people on that tier don’t know how to use it and you are almost always head on to a kv2 and that will be low splash frontally while you erase his hp pool while he is reloading. 

_Yohtician #18 Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:34 AM

The Best Tactician

• Players
  • 31710 battles
  • [REGI]
When I have a tank at 77% something isn’t right. Great gun. Perfect gun depression, alpha, DPM, pen, accuracy. Whole nine yards. Great armor. Good luck getting through the massive upper plate unless you’re using gold, but then you’re lowering DPM and still might bounce when the armor is angled. Lower plate is super small. The turret has small checks and a nice market, hard to hit. The mobility allows it to get to its position with ease and the traverse is great. Incredible tank. I can get 2k in my sleep with it.

Member of the Training Room Police Department

My YouTube:https://m.youtube.com/channel/UChFwqqu30_epeLO0q-BKEFw 

Give us the IRON CROSS

_Crusader6_ #19 Posted 13 May 2020 - 01:52 AM

St. Javelin: NLAW we Trust

• Players
  • 84807 battles
  • [III]

I rarely play tier 6, but I played a few today for anniversaries. 
  I honestly do not see how anyone can like the ARL, it’s a sieve for anyone who can aim.  

Of course any tank in tier 6 can be OP if played well the amount of windowlickers there is off the chart. 

I hate Annihilator spammers...  
Tank Hoarder: 495 tanks in Garage:  511/511 Played Tanks Aced

323 extra garage slots too - lucky me. 

I need more tanks...

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

stmaarten1778 #20 Posted 13 May 2020 - 02:03 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3537 battles
I have been messing around in my new VK 36 01 and I have been seeing that the frontal plate of the ARl 44 is now hard to pen, is that usual or have I just been playing too many TDs and derps at this tier or did it get a buff recently?

I love my Tiger P :playing:

Nobody out jags the tiger 8.8

Also tagged with ARL44

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users