how do i play the ru251 with trash teams

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

IronBehemoth #1 Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:57 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9607 battles
  • [-PYX-]

I'm struggling with the RU251 right now. It seems to rely on strong team support, but with the average teammate a drooling imbecile, im finding myself tunneled and killed every game. Noob tanks on the enemy team such as t49 will yolo anyways in front of my team and HE me without punishment. Any suggestions?

-EDIT-

ik damage farming is going to be the likely suggestion but thats usually when i get spotted and immediately tunneled by every med in the game.

Edited by IronBehemoth, 22 May 2020 - 11:01 PM.

j_rod #2 Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:20 PM

719-266-2837

• Players
  • 27504 battles
  • [H0B0S]

View PostIronBehemoth, on 22 May 2020 - 04:57 PM, said:

I'm struggling with the RU251 right now. It seems to rely on strong team support, but with the average teammate a drooling imbecile, im finding myself tunneled and killed every game. Noob tanks on the enemy team such as t49 will yolo anyways in front of my team and HE me without punishment. Any suggestions?

-EDIT-

ik damage farming is going to be the likely suggestion but thats usually when i get spotted and immediately tunneled by every med in the game.

Forget spotting as your priority. Play support and never go alone.

In other words, play very conservative to begin with then flex where needed. And be sure you’re using that HE on soft targets!

If running my mouth determined my winrate, I'd be a Super Unicum

It was never fair... but it was fun! - Krietenstein34 

_Crusader6_ #3 Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:22 PM

The Society’s NA President

• Players
  • 65309 battles
  • [SURG3]

Load HEP - aggressively spot. 
   Don’t sit still unless it’s back behind a bush.   
 I hunt Ru in my T49, but a god Ru driver can be a pest because it’s nimble and low to the ground. The T49 gun is so awful that if the Ru is moving it’s got way better chances - and if the T49 misses the Ru can burn it down.  

Tank Hoarder: 401 tanks in Garage:  412/412 Played Tanks Aced

NON LINE OF SIGHT MISSILES ARE AN AWFUL MECHANIC 

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

j_rod #4 Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:23 PM

719-266-2837

• Players
  • 27504 battles
  • [H0B0S]

View Post_Crusader6_, on 22 May 2020 - 05:22 PM, said:

I hunt Ru in my T49, but a god Ru driver can be a pest because it’s nimble and low to the ground. The T49 gun is so awful that if the Ru is moving it’s got way better chances - and if the T49 misses the Ru can burn it down.  

Disagree here Cru

If running my mouth determined my winrate, I'd be a Super Unicum

It was never fair... but it was fun! - Krietenstein34 

BlitzAssassin #5 Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:51 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 20832 battles
  • [-CFE-]
Play like your tippy-toeing around lava. Be extremely aware, head on a swivel, always watch your mini map, know where your team is, where the reds are/going to show up, and know your maps and good spots to scout and escape quickly. Basically play like your a shadow. Not an easy drive, but definitely fun. I was somewhat of a nub when I drove my Ru but I have the cruel twist, which plays similar to it, and I can drive it pretty decently.

Gavidoc01 #6 Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:08 AM

Platinum Card Wallet Warrior

• Players
  • 46429 battles
  • [III]
Never stop moving. You have speed for a reason. Spot and move. Repeat. When it makes sense engage

My Blitzstars

I'm a Platinum Card Wallet Warrior.

You’re welcome for supporting the game. 

_Crusader6_ #7 Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:19 AM

The Society’s NA President

• Players
  • 65309 battles
  • [SURG3]

View Postj_rod, on 22 May 2020 - 06:23 PM, said:

Disagree here Cru

It’s fine, you’re entitled to be wrong ;) 

Tank Hoarder: 401 tanks in Garage:  412/412 Played Tanks Aced

NON LINE OF SIGHT MISSILES ARE AN AWFUL MECHANIC 

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

IronBehemoth #8 Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:26 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9607 battles
  • [-PYX-]

View Postj_rod, on 22 May 2020 - 11:20 PM, said:

Forget spotting as your priority. Play support and never go alone.

In other words, play very conservative to begin with then flex where needed. And be sure you’re using that HE on soft targets!

View Post_Crusader6_, on 22 May 2020 - 11:22 PM, said:

Here's what an average game for me looks like.

Team is full of clueless bots.

I decide to go somewhere and damage farm. Everything is looking good. Then i get tunneled out of nowhere and die in 10 seconds. This is like 90% of my games. In fact, I just played this game after reading your responses because I knew something like this would happen. (Keep in mind I played as I would previously for purpose of showing you how I've been playing) Maybe I should aggressively spot like crusader suggested but then retreat back to team immediately?

Edited by IronBehemoth, 23 May 2020 - 12:46 AM.

BlitzAssassin #9 Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:11 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 20832 battles
  • [-CFE-]

View PostIronBehemoth, on 22 May 2020 - 08:26 PM, said:

Here's what an average game for me looks like.

Team is full of clueless bots.

I decide to go somewhere and damage farm. Everything is looking good. Then i get tunneled out of nowhere and die in 10 seconds. This is like 90% of my games. In fact, I just played this game after reading your responses because I knew something like this would happen. (Keep in mind I played as I would previously for purpose of showing you how I've been playing) Maybe I should aggressively spot like crusader suggested but then retreat back to team immediately?

Okay so I watched your game a few times. First thing I noticed, you stayed too long on top of the hill trying to spot. They weren’t likely to come that way after the first 5-7 seconds so you didn’t necessarily need to wait that long. Know you max view range and use the view range finder to know how far your spotting. Also, don’t wait on top of the hill that long. Sure there aren’t many tanks that will outspot you, but you never know right. With the lightbulb only coming up three secs afterward your spotted, you gave yourself a good chance to get nuked. So you notice the four red heavies on the left side and you set up to get shots. Right idea, not cautious enough. You need to know where majority of the tanks are before you set up like that. Especially the big guns. And when the t49 showed up, you weren’t fast enough to pull away unfortunately. And you drove forward instead of down the hill. Erased your chance of not getting shot. Those are just my mediocre tips, not sure if they’re much help. Also I’m not too sure on this, but you may want to bring a reliable platoon partner along. Make sure he’s going to drive something complementary to the Ru, like a td where you spot for him and he sets up, or a sturdy med that can protect you if you get pushed like that. Also only spot that aggressively if you have teammates to back you up. If some of you want to correct me, I’m happy to listen and learn.

Kiwi_Kebab #10 Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:29 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5835 battles
  • [ENDDZ]

Saw you in the RU today on Dusseldorf; your team won because we got bogged down by your 2 heavies and Jadtiger, so you successfully pincered us, then took us out individually (my dad failed to get a full HE pen on you when you were brawling). 

You have no armor, so you can't frontline. You are a tasty target because you're HE-PENNABLE everywhere. If you're spotted, you better have a way to evacuate if you're pushed on. I think your best bet is to stay on the move and harass. You have the speed to select your engagements. Watch for an opening, even if that opening is across the map, and move in. 

dport02 #11 Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:47 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 31944 battles
  • [-FE4R]
Keep moving, and always be aware!! Dons ya rly be checking your minimap
RNG is rigged !

alphablob #12 Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:56 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 35330 battles
  • [MOM]

View PostBlitzAssassin, on 23 May 2020 - 01:11 AM, said:

Okay so I watched your game a few times. First thing I noticed, you stayed too long on top of the hill trying to spot. They weren’t likely to come that way after the first 5-7 seconds so you didn’t necessarily need to wait that long. Know you max view range and use the view range finder to know how far your spotting. Also, don’t wait on top of the hill that long. Sure there aren’t many tanks that will outspot you, but you never know right. With the lightbulb only coming up three secs afterward your spotted, you gave yourself a good chance to get nuked. So you notice the four red heavies on the left side and you set up to get shots. Right idea, not cautious enough. You need to know where majority of the tanks are before you set up like that. Especially the big guns. And when the t49 showed up, you weren’t fast enough to pull away unfortunately. And you drove forward instead of down the hill. Erased your chance of not getting shot. Those are just my mediocre tips, not sure if they’re much help. Also I’m not too sure on this, but you may want to bring a reliable platoon partner along. Make sure he’s going to drive something complementary to the Ru, like a td where you spot for him and he sets up, or a sturdy med that can protect you if you get pushed like that. Also only spot that aggressively if you have teammates to back you up. If some of you want to correct me, I’m happy to listen and learn.

I'm going to disagree that he stayed in the spotting bush too long. No reds were getting spotted in town either, so it made sense to wait extra long to figure out where some of the reds are.

I'm going to say that in this particular game you got unlucky with the 49 finding you, and the 13-90 acting in coordination with him. With two fast tanks on the enemy team you're always going to be vulnerable to that, unless you stay with your pack of heavies, which no one really wants to do in an Ru. The other option is staying unspotted until you know exactly where the enemy lights are, but IMO that runs the risk of being 2 tanks down before you even fire a shot.

Maybe you should expect some variance in Ru games? Some games you'll be able to farm free damage by rushing isolated tds, and some games you'll get tunneled and bullied. Idk!

Camo net is for cowards.

Noob666_ #13 Posted 23 May 2020 - 02:04 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 5442 battles
  • [-USAF]

View PostIronBehemoth, on 22 May 2020 - 04:57 PM, said:

-EDIT-

Throw away your team if they are garbage. They are a huge problem to your and everyones health, explaining the rise of toxic players.

BlitzAssassin #14 Posted 23 May 2020 - 02:56 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 20832 battles
  • [-CFE-]

View Postalphablob, on 22 May 2020 - 09:56 PM, said:

I'm going to disagree that he stayed in the spotting bush too long. No reds were getting spotted in town either, so it made sense to wait extra long to figure out where some of the reds are.

Fair point, but he was alone so it wasn’t the best decision to stay out on top like that for that long. He could of easily turn his tank and spotted from the ridge beside him with almost the same effectiveness and being a lot safer.

Absolute_Sniper #15 Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:12 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 41500 battles
  • [CRUEL]
Aggressive early spotting to start the game. Farm from safety mid game. Hunt and kill iso targets late game.

I used to have a picture here but tiny pic took an arrow to the knee....

https://discord.gg/twdc4Dq

minitel_NA #16 Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:17 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

I’m going to say you need to plan ahead and react swiftly, which in that game you seemed to have not done 

(based on assumptions and comments above, I’m not watching YouTubes, I like replay files better : more info in less time.

if enemy team have more tanks or tanks that are dangerous, don’t go where they reside, which you did. 
don’t camp if you can’t make sure of your surroundings so as to not get surprised, which you apparently did.

dont engage if you going to lose, which you apparently did.

always plan an escape, and always use the escape before you need to. Which you didn’t.

use your mobility and nobody should guess where you are, nor where you are going.

perosnally that little tit hill is where I expect a light tank to sit, 24/7, I don’t even need to spot to pre-aim there, if I’m idle anywhere and it happens to be in my line of fire. 90% of the times there will be a light, medium, and sometimes a td there trying to shoot town, and I will shoot him instead.

as a light tank player your main weapon —  and here I’m sharing my personal opinion, which might be slightly controversial — might not always be making top damage. Preventing enemy heavies to get to their locations, preventing tds to sit on their hills pressing the red button everytime it turns available again, is often enough to win a game when your team does half of its job. I only do damage when the team seem decided on not doing anything, and at this point it’s already more leaning towards a loss. the reason for this thinkng is that you don’t have a gun or the dpm to weaken the red team fast enough. Disruption works better. Think missile or t49, it can do damage, but what works is more the instant shock they inflict, preventing the red team to do what they intended.

im not blaming you and I’m sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, especially I’m not the best player either. But I’m an experienced light, playing more or less only light tanks, and I’m just trying to share the mind and logic of a light tank player. As a disclaimer I haven’t played the RU in a long time, and that’s not because it’s a bad tank. It’s because the lekpz HE and crédit making are better (everything else being worst), the t49 fun factor is better, the clip of the AMX are more fun. The RU remains a very enjoyable pixel machine by all means .

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

IronBehemoth #17 Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:30 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9607 battles
  • [-PYX-]

View PostKiwi_Kebab, on 23 May 2020 - 01:29 AM, said:

Saw you in the RU today on Dusseldorf; your team won because we got bogged down by your 2 heavies and Jadtiger, so you successfully pincered us, then took us out individually (my dad failed to get a full HE pen on you when you were brawling). 

You have no armor, so you can't frontline. You are a tasty target because you're HE-PENNABLE everywhere. If you're spotted, you better have a way to evacuate if you're pushed on. I think your best bet is to stay on the move and harass. You have the speed to select your engagements. Watch for an opening, even if that opening is across the map, and move in. 

Oh damn i found the replay. Wish I noticed you. That I didn't suggests I wasn't checking lineups today either, which was probably part of my poor play. As for your suggestion, that made me think back, and it occurred to me that all of my games were either die early with poor damage or live the entire battle with high damage. It seems in retrospect that every game where I didn't die early on, I did do pretty decent damage picking off isolated heavies. I guess that can be something for me to work on, not putting myself in too vulnerable a position early so that I can afford to relocate and select engagements late game instead of being pinned down for 4 min because of some random t49 that wants to HE me.

Edited by IronBehemoth, 23 May 2020 - 03:31 AM.

IronBehemoth #18 Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:34 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9607 battles
  • [-PYX-]

View Postminitel_NA, on 23 May 2020 - 03:17 AM, said:

I’m going to say you need to plan ahead and react swiftly, which in that game you seemed to have not done 

(based on assumptions and comments above, I’m not watching YouTubes, I like replay files better : more info in less time.

if enemy team have more tanks or tanks that are dangerous, don’t go where they reside, which you did. 
don’t camp if you can’t make sure of your surroundings so as to not get surprised, which you apparently did.

dont engage if you going to lose, which you apparently did.

always plan an escape, and always use the escape before you need to. Which you didn’t.

use your mobility and nobody should guess where you are, nor where you are going.

perosnally that little tit hill is where I expect a light tank to sit, 24/7, I don’t even need to spot to pre-aim there, if I’m idle anywhere and it happens to be in my line of fire. 90% of the times there will be a light, medium, and sometimes a td there trying to shoot town, and I will shoot him instead.

as a light tank player your main weapon —  and here I’m sharing my personal opinion, which might be slightly controversial — might not always be making top damage. Preventing enemy heavies to get to their locations, preventing tds to sit on their hills pressing the red button everytime it turns available again, is often enough to win a game when your team does half of its job. I only do damage when the team seem decided on not doing anything, and at this point it’s already more leaning towards a loss. the reason for this thinkng is that you don’t have a gun or the dpm to weaken the red team fast enough. Disruption works better. Think missile or t49, it can do damage, but what works is more the instant shock they inflict, preventing the red team to do what they intended.

im not blaming you and I’m sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, especially I’m not the best player either. But I’m an experienced light, playing more or less only light tanks, and I’m just trying to share the mind and logic of a light tank player. As a disclaimer I haven’t played the RU in a long time, and that’s not because it’s a bad tank. It’s because the lekpz HE and crédit making are better (everything else being worst), the t49 fun factor is better, the clip of the AMX are more fun. The RU remains a very enjoyable pixel machine by all means .

Honestly that probably is true. Despite my awful avg damage, I'm sitting at a 70% winrate and it's probably because my (too aggressive) spotting and yoloing random enemy td's has been throwing the enemy off their game. If I can balance the aggressive spotting with situational awareness, I think that may solve the problem.

Edited by IronBehemoth, 23 May 2020 - 03:34 AM.

rosgrim #19 Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:13 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 87640 battles
  • [COD]

View Post_Crusader6_, on 23 May 2020 - 12:19 AM, said:

It’s fine, you’re entitled to be wrong ;) 

+++ for _Crusader6_

be conservative, forget to spot...driving a light.....[edited]and who is supposed to spot ? and when ? when you have only unicum in your team ? tell us please

Edited by rosgrim, 23 May 2020 - 06:15 AM.

acrisis #20 Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:42 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20703 battles
  • [III-C]

I can sympathize.

I have tried to drive the RU and it usually does not end well, either I get yolo’d by T49 or other mediums ... or the team will melt and there is no amount of hitpoints and not enough speed, time and distance on the map that could allow for a kolobanov. 

The mobility and gun accuracy are not what I expected. 

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

[ NEW > ]  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified usingPingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii
Blitz University | Basic Training  |  Mentor  |  The Pingplotter Guy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users