IS-3

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

generalhonks #1 Posted 30 May 2020 - 11:01 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7789 battles
  • [HOUSE]
I’m so close to getting the IS-3, but I have had some trouble with the IS, and I want to know if it’s worth it, cause I’m dumping a fair amount of free xp on this. Another option is to get the Tiger 1. Any other suggestions of tanks I should have? 

No, I’m not defending German technical superiority, I’m stating the ****ing obvious!

acrisis #2 Posted 30 May 2020 - 11:55 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 21028 battles
  • [III-C]

If you are having trouble with the IS ... then you probably have some homework to do. 

You seem very eager to move through, complain, skip forward ... looking for the silver bullet ... but the only thing that works is learning and becoming more adaptable

People asking others constantly about this tank or another tank, or best tank, ... is not helping them to become a better pixel tanker.  There will always be " better " tanks. 

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

[ NEW > ]  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified usingPingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii
Blitz University | Basic Training  |  Mentor  |  The Pingplotter Guy

Kiwi_Kebab #3 Posted 30 May 2020 - 12:01 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6699 battles
  • [ENDDZ]

IS-3 is a good tank. I know this because it wins more than most others, only being edged out by the Tiger 2 slightly. It has a bit more trouble doing damage, but it's strong turret and decent speed aid it well.

I also agree with acrisis. Just try tanks, try not to be too impatient with tanks you find unenjoyable. If you don't like the IS, you might not like the IS-3 either, though they do have noticably different structures.

tedg5 #4 Posted 30 May 2020 - 12:01 PM

Tater salad

• Players
  • 57095 battles
  • [AGOGO]
The is3 is great. If you have problems there you need to drop down and learn more solid basics. But then so is IS. :playing:

Mako__Reizei___ #5 Posted 30 May 2020 - 12:16 PM

Sleepyhead

• Players
  • 8096 battles
  • [ALIAS]

Yes, IS-3 is definitely worth it. One thing to note is that you should save up free xp to unlock the BL-9 as soon as possible or you're gonna be in big pain.

Must. Have. 60%. Winrate. Under. 0.5%. Platoon. Rate!!! (30 day)

Maus addict, might play alt account more just to play Maus... (Nano_Virus)

generalhonks #6 Posted 30 May 2020 - 12:26 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7789 battles
  • [HOUSE]
I grouped my options together: SU-152, T29, IS-3, T25/2, or Jpanther

Edited by generalhonks, 30 May 2020 - 12:34 PM.

No, I’m not defending German technical superiority, I’m stating the ****ing obvious!

Kiwi_Kebab #7 Posted 30 May 2020 - 12:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6699 battles
  • [ENDDZ]
T29 is a hull down monster, with a good gun and access to enhanced consumables. It would be the easiest of your list to do well in. 

acrisis #8 Posted 30 May 2020 - 12:57 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 21028 battles
  • [III-C]

View Postgeneralhonks, on 30 May 2020 - 07:26 AM, said:

I grouped my options together: SU-152, T29, IS-3, T25/2, or Jpanther

If you are struggling with the IS ... don't jump to something else, especially something that is going to be harder to play, like a turretless TD

The IS line is a staple in WOT & WOTB.  Play and learn, adapt, thrive.  

And PS:

In what way and world are you " So close to getting the IS-3 " ...

IS 7   754 429 15 26.67% 0.57 0.46 757 0.400 0.67 3.00 89.25% 13.33%

Play, learn, adapt ... 
Don't take shortcuts. 

Edited by acrisis, 30 May 2020 - 01:04 PM.

> WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

[ NEW > ]  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified usingPingPlotter (free)  

Kiwi_Kebab #9 Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:11 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6699 battles
  • [ENDDZ]

View Postacrisis, on 30 May 2020 - 06:57 AM, said:

And PS:

In what way and world are you " So close to getting the IS-3 " ...

IS 7   754 429 15 26.67% 0.57 0.46 757 0.400 0.67 3.00 89.25% 13.33%

I think they intend to burn Free XP on tank research, something I would not recommend.

acrisis #10 Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:22 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 21028 battles
  • [III-C]

I know.

That is the silliness of it.

Not learning how to play a tank, skipping forward, burning through a whole bunch of freexp ... instead of learning to play a good tank and saving the freexp for a rainy day.

Rinse.
Repeat. 

BE  (+)   

BorisBaddenov #11 Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:37 PM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 26804 battles
  • [NOGUD]

View Postacrisis, on 30 May 2020 - 06:22 AM, said:

I know.

That is the silliness of it.

Not learning how to play a tank, skipping forward, burning through a whole bunch of freexp ... instead of learning to play a good tank and saving the freexp for a rainy day.

Rinse.
Repeat. 

Maybe lots of battles in non-tracked matches, like The Mad Uprising of Gravity is where he got the exp? 

Peace-

Boris 

I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.

generalhonks #12 Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:44 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7789 battles
  • [HOUSE]

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 30 May 2020 - 09:37 AM, said:

Maybe lots of battles in non-tracked matches, like The Mad Uprising of Gravity is where he got the exp? 

Peace-

Boris 

Uprising does wonders doesn't it.

CHINA_ELITE #13 Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:44 PM

The Batchat Falls "Proud Sheridan Spammer”

• Players
  • 21503 battles
  • [STORM]
Meh

generalhonks #14 Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:48 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7789 battles
  • [HOUSE]
Also, I really don't need you guys telling me how they think I should play. I wanted info on what tank to get next. And notice how I wasn't even interested in tier 10 vehicles. I just want something fun to play. I wanted advice, and you guys lectured me about learning to play Russian heavies. No wonder many newbies can't get the info they need out of this place.

Edited by generalhonks, 30 May 2020 - 01:55 PM.

Kiwi_Kebab #15 Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:58 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6699 battles
  • [ENDDZ]

View Postgeneralhonks, on 30 May 2020 - 07:48 AM, said:

Also, I really don't need you guys telling me how they think I should play. I wanted info on what tank to get next. And notice how I wasn't interested in tier 10 vehicles. I wanted advice, and you guys lectured me about learning to play Russian heavies. No wonder many newbies can't get the info they need out of this place.

I apologize if I came across as lecturing. Truly, you may play as you please. There are a few different philosophies regarding resource management, but it's truly your choice on how you use your items. 

I personally do not play Russian heavies because I do not enjoy the playstyle. In regards to the "best tanks", at least tier 8+, I would consult the winrates given in RibbleStripes monthly infographics.

_Crusader6_ #16 Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:59 PM

Vote Slime Mold

• Players
  • 69948 battles
  • [BDGER]

View Postgeneralhonks, on 30 May 2020 - 08:48 AM, said:

Also, I really don't need you guys telling me how they think I should play. I wanted info on what tank to get next. And notice how I wasn't interested in tier 10 vehicles. I wanted advice, and you guys lectured me about learning to play Russian heavies. No wonder many newbies can't get the info they need out of this place.

Actually they gave you good advice.  

My recommendation for anyone is don’t advance until:

At least 55% in a tank, 1.3 DR or better and 200 Dmg /tier 

Mainly because if you aren’t the next tier is going to be tougher.  

Never blow free exp on finishing a grind. 
  Save free exp for modules - specially for tier 8/9 tanks where stock tanks can be extremely rough.   

One is of course free to do anything they want - but it doesn’t get easier the higher you go.   

Tank Hoarder: 424 tanks in Garage:  433/433 Played Tanks Aced

NON LINE OF SIGHT MISSILES ARE AN AWFUL MECHANIC 

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

acrisis #17 Posted 30 May 2020 - 02:28 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 21028 battles
  • [III-C]

View Postgeneralhonks, on 30 May 2020 - 08:48 AM, said:

Also, I really don't need you guys telling me how they think I should play. I wanted info on what tank to get next. And notice how I wasn't even interested in tier 10 vehicles. I just want something fun to play. I wanted advice, and you guys lectured me about learning to play Russian heavies. No wonder many newbies can't get the info they need out of this place.

:facepalm: 

You were LECTURED to learn to play Russian heavies? 

It is not working out the way you wanted ...

If you can't make the easiest tank line work, then who's problem is that?? 

Basic rules of thumb for most players new to WOT/WOTB:

Don't rush up the tiers, but progress through the tiers.

Learn to play the tank you have, don't skip ahead. 
Save FreeXP for highest tiers and emergencies. 

Sample all tank types and all nations to understand team mates and enemies better, but focus on a handful projects. 

Get any tank to 50% before selling it. 

Get 50% in the tier and preceding vehicle before rolling out in the next one up. 

Do not blow FreeXP to buy tanks, learn and earn. 

Never sell a Premium tank. 

etc. 

That is if you want to LEARN to play, become more versatile and proficient ... and have more fun playing smarter and better. 

You pick a path, that is your choice.

Both in game and in the forum. 

BE  (+)   

Doilky #18 Posted 30 May 2020 - 02:56 PM

(Doh-Key)

• Players
  • 20361 battles
  • [MSTRY]

When I first started playing the IS, I found the smaller faster firing gun to be a better fit for me.  It has more DPM than the big gun, and when you miss or bounce, the reload doesn't kill you. 

I also used to be a front line brawler, so the long reload times were getting me killed because I was sitting there for 15 seconds waiting to bounce another shell off a tank. 

Plus the smaller gun has 1 degree more gun depression.

Now I'm a bit more patient, and have been getting along better with the big gun.   

If you are having trouble with the IS, try the smaller gun.  It might fit your play style better. 

The IS3 is great, but you really need the top gun to be effective.  

The Tiger 1 is great.  It's more of medium than a heavy, so try to play it like a medium.  I see way too many folks frontlining the heavy line in a Tiger 1 and getting deleted fast.   The tank has great mobility, use it and run with the meds. 

Edited by Doilky, 30 May 2020 - 02:58 PM.

BorisBaddenov #19 Posted 30 May 2020 - 03:02 PM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 26804 battles
  • [NOGUD]

View Postgeneralhonks, on 30 May 2020 - 06:44 AM, said:

Uprising does wonders doesn't it.

Yes and no. 

Yes, you can grind in Mad/Uprising/Gravity.  You can do so without it showing up (good or bad) on your stats.

No, because you don’t learn how to play regular battles in those other game modes.  I believe that those other modes actually degrade game play of many players.  

So so it is possible that you ground your IS in Uprising, developing some bad game play habits, while not really learning how to play the IS to the best of your ability.   

Peace-

Boris 

I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.

WhiskeyCyclone #20 Posted 30 May 2020 - 04:08 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 23661 battles
  • [LONR]
The IS-3 isn’t the beast it used to be, and after getting used to playing the IS you will have to adapt to the pike nose of the IS-3, which adds a new dynamic. Sidescraping is tougher to pull off, you can’t expose the lower plate, face hug, etc. 

Keep it old school. 

Also tagged with IS-3

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users