• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

_Crusader6_ #21 Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:10 PM

The Society’s NA President

• Players
  • 66649 battles
  • [DEF]

View PostWhiskeyCyclone, on 30 May 2020 - 11:08 AM, said:

The IS-3 isn’t the beast it used to be, and after getting used to playing the IS you will have to adapt to the pike nose of the IS-3, which adds a new dynamic. Sidescraping is tougher to pull off, you can’t expose the lower plate, face hug, etc. 

I’ll disagree with some of the above.  
   The rework on the IS-3 made it a lot more viable as a hulldown heavium.  
The roof weak spot was vastly reduced and it now is a much better introduction to the IS-8.   

I played the IS-3 as a mediocre 55% player - it was my 9th line ground: US Heavy, US Med, German Med, German Heavy, German Heavy (Maus), US TD, German TD, US Turret TD, and then the IS-7 line.  

I played a few games in it at the end of last year and went 12-0 with 2,300 avg dmg.  
    I’ll finish remediation sometime to get it over 60% (it’s at 58 something right now).  

Tank Hoarder: 404 tanks in Garage:  418/418 Played Tanks Aced

NON LINE OF SIGHT MISSILES ARE AN AWFUL MECHANIC 

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

BAR_001 #22 Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:12 PM

Mechanized com poster

• Players
  • 31409 battles
  • [HAHA]

View Postgeneralhonks, on 30 May 2020 - 06:48 AM, said:

Also, I really don't need you guys telling me how they think I should play. I wanted info on what tank to get next. And notice how I wasn't even interested in tier 10 vehicles. I just want something fun to play. I wanted advice, and you guys lectured me about learning to play Russian heavies. No wonder many newbies can't get the info they need out of this place.

You asked for advice. Your ability has a direct correlation to any thing that could be considered "good" advice.
Case in point, the fact that you are struggling with the IS suggests you are not ready for the IS-3. acrisis is being a little salty, but he is right. Get gud @ tier 7 before moving up. 

View Postgeneralhonks, on 30 May 2020 - 05:26 AM, said:

I grouped my options together: SU-152, T29, IS-3, T25/2, or Jpanther

These are all good tanks. Choose whatever one best fits your play style.

RNG doesn't bother hackers.

BlitzAssassin #23 Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:47 PM

Kool Aid Drinker

• Players
  • 21966 battles
  • [-CFE-]

One of the best teaching tanks in the game. Not the best tank, but it can be reliable. 

But you seem to ask a lot of questions about every tank that comes across your mind. Just search the name of the tank in the search bar of the forums and scroll for good posts. And if you can’t find anything informative, there are plenty of really good Blitz youtubers that come out with plenty of guides and reviews. Not every specific tank vid will be up to date, but they’ll allow you to grasp a general idea of what the tanks like.

This is a really opinionated topic. We can’t say for you, you have to decide. 

Smiley913 #24 Posted 30 May 2020 - 06:59 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 17559 battles
  • [FBM2]

This is just a general comment, not aimed at anyone. 

Many new players think the way to “solve” their difficulties in the game is to race up the tiers because the tank in the next tier of the TT is way better than the one they’re currently playing. What many fail to understand is EVERY tank in the next tier is better (along with the player base in higher tiers) so they’re in the same boat as they were in the previous tier - in way over their head.

The only way to truly enjoy the tank you’re playing/going to play is to first learn the most basic elements of the game. Then second to learn your tanks strengths/weaknesses to put yourself in the best position to hold your own in battle.

I strongly suggest to anyone before they get a tank is to watch videos on YouTube (Bushka, Meadsy, Pantoufee, Droodles). They are all great content creators. 

Proud Wallet Warrior: Allowing Whiners to Play For Free, One Purchase at a Time :)

Mako__Reizei___ #25 Posted 30 May 2020 - 08:54 PM

Sleepyhead

• Players
  • 7962 battles
  • [ALIAS]

View PostSmiley913, on 30 May 2020 - 01:59 PM, said:

This is just a general comment, not aimed at anyone. 

Many new players think the way to “solve” their difficulties in the game is to race up the tiers because the tank in the next tier of the TT is way better than the one they’re currently playing. What many fail to understand is EVERY tank in the next tier is better (along with the player base in higher tiers) so they’re in the same boat as they were in the previous tier - in way over their head.

The only way to truly enjoy the tank you’re playing/going to play is to first learn the most basic elements of the game. Then second to learn your tanks strengths/weaknesses to put yourself in the best position to hold your own in battle.

I strongly suggest to anyone before they get a tank is to watch videos on YouTube (Bushka, Meadsy, Pantoufee, Droodles). They are all great content creators. 

I also believe that at least some new players think that if they buy the Lowe or T34, they'd face off tier 1 tanks with their tier 8 tanks. 

Must. Have. 60%. Winrate. Under. 0.5%. Platoon. Rate!!! (30 day)

Maus addict, might play alt account more just to play Maus... (Nano_Virus)

shyw #26 Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:00 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 50454 battles
  • [DOGZ]

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 30 May 2020 - 01:37 PM, said:

Maybe lots of battles in non-tracked matches, like The Mad Uprising of Gravity is where he got the exp? 

Peace-

Boris 

Probably true Boris...!!!!

_Crusader6_ #27 Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:50 PM

The Society’s NA President

• Players
  • 66649 battles
  • [DEF]

View PostMako__Reizei___, on 30 May 2020 - 03:54 PM, said:

I also believe that at least some new players think that if they buy the Lowe or T34, they'd face off tier 1 tanks with their tier 8 tanks. 

Which was back in Christmas of 2014 I bought the .99 Ram II deal. 
   I thought I’d be stomping weaker tanks.  —- nope. My first rage sale 

Tank Hoarder: 404 tanks in Garage:  418/418 Played Tanks Aced

NON LINE OF SIGHT MISSILES ARE AN AWFUL MECHANIC 

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

MarBearCat #28 Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:44 AM

Pennsylvania's Favorite Cat!

• Players
  • 22486 battles
  • [SDWA]

View Post_Crusader6_, on 30 May 2020 - 04:50 PM, said:

Which was back in Christmas of 2014 I bought the .99 Ram II deal. 
   I thought I’d be stomping weaker tanks.  —- nope. My first rage sale 

Ah memories. 

When I bought the Ram II I went 0-8 and almost sold it myself. 

:-/

Heavy Is The Cat That's Carried!

BAR_001 #29 Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:58 AM

Mechanized com poster

• Players
  • 31409 battles
  • [HAHA]
Ive actually been having a little fun and picking up some wins with the pew-pew goat lately. First time for everything I guess.
RNG doesn't bother hackers.

Nathanronco #30 Posted 31 May 2020 - 01:57 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15916 battles
  • [1STUS]

I recently finished the IS-3 and moved on to the IS-8 and I have to say that I really did enjoy the IS-3. Some tips on how to play it:

Face hug: Your turret is frontally placed and is very well armored; Just get up close and personal with your target and hug them to death.

Mobility: The IS-3 has a excellent power-to-weight ration and a good top speed of 38. You can use this to reposition quickly and roll with the mediums when necessary.

Armor: While your frontal pike nose is weak compared to some other tanks like the IS-5, your main armor is located in the previously mentioned turret and the sides of the tank. The sides of the tank are spaced, so utilize that.

Gun: Even though the IS-3 has a good alpha for tier 8, the dispersion and aiming time are very poor. Avoid shooting long distance shots if possible, and get as close to the enemy as you can. Know that the IS-3 does not work at a distance, and make sure to be patient and wait till your shots are aimed before firing.

Edited by Nathanronco, 31 May 2020 - 02:06 PM.

" If you miss shots in your KV-2, it's because you haven't sent enough peasants to Gulag. " Joseph Stalin, 1944 Russia

Palepatriot #31 Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:07 PM

Pusher of Girl Scout Cookies

• Players
  • 29703 battles
  • [BELLS]
Chiming in my two cents and I’m in agreement with all the above posters, the is3 is a good solid tank with good armor, speed, and a decent gun for damage though it lacks the gun depression you have with all Russian heavies. You mentioned the T29 which would be another fine choice but requires some skill with map knowledge to know where to hull down to maximize your impact, when you do and with some gun discipline to wait for your aiming circle to zoom in, you can make a big impact in every match. Those two tanks, while heavies, have two different play styles.

Edited by Palepatriot, 31 May 2020 - 03:08 PM.

MarBearCat #32 Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:48 PM

Pennsylvania's Favorite Cat!

• Players
  • 22486 battles
  • [SDWA]

New IS-3 camo coming out.

'IS-3 BearCat Carry Me' camo.

Carry me to VICTORY !

Edited by MarBearCat, 31 May 2020 - 04:49 PM.

Heavy Is The Cat That's Carried!

Valkyrie04 #33 Posted 01 June 2020 - 07:50 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 2919 battles
  • [AGOGO]
The tank is not bad, the thing is that there are several tanks that do the same but waaaaaaay better (IS-3D, IS-5, WZ-112-2, 112 Glacial, 252U)

Roberto577_One #34 Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:37 PM

Chungus Supreme

• Players
  • 8814 battles

Gotta love how this entire thread about lecturing OP on *his* choices.

Imo, the IS is a better tank than the IS-3 tier for tier, and I like it. If you're struggling with it, I suggest T29, since the hull armor and HP buff that thing is nearly OP. Also, it's a fun tank to play. If you know what you're doing you can win a battle by simply activating the engine boost and charging in at the right moment.

Edited by Roberto577_One, 01 June 2020 - 09:39 PM.

Excuse me while I club your double T-49 platoon with my SP I C.

Proud owner of the Leeroy Jenkins-Mobile.

I don't always club, but when I do, it's in stock Tier 9 Mediums.

generalhonks #35 Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:11 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 6542 battles
  • [HOUSE]

View PostRoberto577_One, on 01 June 2020 - 05:37 PM, said:

Gotta love how this entire thread about lecturing OP on *his* choices.

Imo, the IS is a better tank than the IS-3 tier for tier, and I like it. If you're struggling with it, I suggest T29, since the hull armor and HP buff that thing is nearly OP. Also, it's a fun tank to play. If you know what you're doing you can win a battle by simply activating the engine boost and charging in at the right moment.

I've been playing the T29. It got way better when I got the 105mm gun.

Missiles are not a problem, ya'll just jealous you aren't skilled enough to use them (Ok, ok I'm joking.:harp:).

International Noob Advocate

Choice is an illusion - Crusader6

Alexandre_368 #36 Posted 07 June 2020 - 11:10 AM

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
I've had the IS3 recently.

I was quite okay with the IS, had some nice games, kind of liked and trusted the tank. But the IS3... My god, I sucked so much (15%wr or something...) I sold it back after a dozen games and promised me never to play it again.

Tier 8 is though when coming from T7. And it looks like it is so full of better tanks than the IS3.

So if you are struggling in the IS, my advice is not to go for the IS3.

On my side I'm now enjoying the German Tiger1 and French Amx M4 way better than the Russian IS7 line so far. Next target is Tiger 2, I'm quite confident I'll like it and do okay in it.

EU Server player

Also tagged with IS-3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users