Best way to spend free xp when grinding?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

2cool4u9 #1 Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:48 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 14223 battles
  • [-PYX-]
I currently have 193k free xp and I'm maxed on the tier 5 pzIVg. What's the best way for me to spend it if I'm grinding for the maus?

acrisis #2 Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:54 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 20994 battles
  • [III-C]

The best way to spend freexp is to hoard it like gold, only use it for emergencies and needed high tier upgrades. 

Like without the top gun, you are totally team dependent and running around with 30% WR in the tank after a dozen or two games) 

Do not burn freexp on getting tanks, only to then reach tier ix or x and go ' oh shoot, why did I spend all that freexp on x y z and now I can't get this top gun I need. 

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

[ NEW > ]  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified usingPingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii
Blitz University | Basic Training  |  Mentor  |  The Pingplotter Guy

BAR_001 #3 Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:57 PM

Mechanized com poster

• Players
  • 32274 battles
  • [HAHA]
I pretty much save all of my free XP for tier 9 or the occasional piece of equipment when a stock tank sucks beyond imagination.
RNG doesn't bother hackers.

RedOctopus #4 Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:59 PM

Hit by the door, on the way out.

• Players
  • 2380 battles
  • [10]

View Post2cool4u9, on 31 May 2020 - 03:48 PM, said:

I currently have 193k free xp and I'm maxed on the tier 5 pzIVg. What's the best way for me to spend it if I'm grinding for the maus?

I just spend it whenever I need it, which is NOT the smartest way to use free XP by far. I just can't stand the grind so I use Free XP whenever possible lol.

But back to the question, the best way to spend free XP is to not spend it unless absolutely necessary. There might be a tank down the line that is just terrible stock or if that tank is just terrible all around, you may want to use free XP then to research modules or skip the tank altogether.

2cool4u9 #5 Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:03 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 14223 battles
  • [-PYX-]
I see, I'lll hold back the urge to skip some tanks and grind the low tiers. :)

j_rod #6 Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:34 PM

Better Looking Than Cletus, and The Forum Jester

• Players
  • 27902 battles
  • [H0B0S]

View Post2cool4u9, on 31 May 2020 - 10:03 AM, said:

I see, I'lll hold back the urge to skip some tanks and grind the low tiers. :)

Free XP for modules (especially above tier 4).

XP boosters for grinding bad tanks that are fully equipped.

Gold for tiers 8-10 crew skills; always get at least 75% crew.

Random game modes for all the above if necessary.

Never grind from stock in pub matches unless you like losing.

Working as intended

It was never fair... but it was fun! - Krietenstein34 

Major_Sweatpants #7 Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:43 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5872 battles
  • [PANEM]

*looks at this post* i totally wasnt planning on skipping Chaffee

*looks away*

dport02 #8 Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:51 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 33765 battles
  • [-FE4R]
Save it for stock grinds.
RNG is rigged !

_Crusader6_ #9 Posted 31 May 2020 - 05:31 PM

Angry Mod

• Players
  • 68728 battles
  • [DEF]

Free exp should only be used for modules on hard grinds.  

I would not spend it on anything under 8 personally.  
   However it is all relative.  I ground my first 11 tier X tanks not understanding free exp and never used it.

The awesome dealing of a stock tier 8 against an IS-7, E100 or Maus Back in +/-2 isn’t something I’d wish on anyone. 

If you have around 1M free exp like me, you can be more cavalier about using it.  
   If you have a lot less, save it for tier 9, as when you start seeing tier X with a stock gun in your tier 9, you are going to want to cry.   

Tank Hoarder: 415 tanks in Garage:  423/423 Played Tanks Aced

NON LINE OF SIGHT MISSILES ARE AN AWFUL MECHANIC 

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

Dan_Deerso #10 Posted 31 May 2020 - 06:17 PM

Tankologist

• Players
  • 28749 battles
  • [III]

For most tanks, I free XP in this order as necessary to get the tank to perform well in battle. Sometimes I just upgrade the gun, sometimes gun and tracks, and sometimes gun, tracks, and engine.

The gun upgrade sometimes needs a turret upgrade first, which is nearly always a better armored turret and a decent chunk of HP. The (usually) higher penetration and DPM of the upgraded gun is a must on nearly every tank I've ever played, as while you may not be able to get to the battle as fast, at least you can actually defend yourself when you do see some red tanks.

Track upgrades provide BOTH mobility and gun handling. Especially necessary on guns with bad dispersion. This upgrade is usually more useful than an engine upgrade on tanks with bad traverse but good armor, as you can angle better with higher hull traverse, even if you can't accelerate as fast. On some tanks, the tracks actually provide a better acceleration bonus due to better ground resistance values than the engine. For example, take a  stock IS-3, with an effective HP/ton (eHP/ton) of 12.1, a dispersion on movement value (gun bloom) of 0.27 and a hull traverse of 27 degrees per second (deg/sec). The IS-3 with stock tracks and an upgraded engine (Engine costs 32.5k XP) has an eHP/ton of 13.1, whereas an upgraded set of tracks (Tracks cost 14.1k XP) but a stock engine gives you an eHP/ton of 13.3 and an 8% bonus to gun bloom AND an extra 3 deg/sec of hull traverse.

In the case of the IS-3, the tracks are a much better use of free XP, as they provide a stronger bonus to both eHP/ton, two other added bonuses, and cost less than half as much. I've found this to be the case on many, many tanks.

TL;DR

Gun (& turret if available) > Tracks > Engine

oicram1 #11 Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:15 PM

Mono Prime

• Players
  • 44170 battles
  • [DEF_4]
I have hoarded up 747,856 at the moment. Just sit on it like Smaug, take a nap. 

"Yo no estudio para saber más, sino para ignorar menos.” 
"I do not study to know more, but to ignore less."
                Sor Juana Inés De la Cruz

Posit1ve_ #12 Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:48 PM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 62239 battles
  • [_V_]

View PostDan_Deerso, on 31 May 2020 - 01:17 PM, said:

For most tanks, I free XP in this order as necessary to get the tank to perform well in battle. Sometimes I just upgrade the gun, sometimes gun and tracks, and sometimes gun, tracks, and engine.

The gun upgrade sometimes needs a turret upgrade first, which is nearly always a better armored turret and a decent chunk of HP. The (usually) higher penetration and DPM of the upgraded gun is a must on nearly every tank I've ever played, as while you may not be able to get to the battle as fast, at least you can actually defend yourself when you do see some red tanks.

Track upgrades provide BOTH mobility and gun handling. Especially necessary on guns with bad dispersion. This upgrade is usually more useful than an engine upgrade on tanks with bad traverse but good armor, as you can angle better with higher hull traverse, even if you can't accelerate as fast. On some tanks, the tracks actually provide a better acceleration bonus due to better ground resistance values than the engine. For example, take a  stock IS-3, with an effective HP/ton (eHP/ton) of 12.1, a dispersion on movement value (gun bloom) of 0.27 and a hull traverse of 27 degrees per second (deg/sec). The IS-3 with stock tracks and an upgraded engine (Engine costs 32.5k XP) has an eHP/ton of 13.1, whereas an upgraded set of tracks (Tracks cost 14.1k XP) but a stock engine gives you an eHP/ton of 13.3 and an 8% bonus to gun bloom AND an extra 3 deg/sec of hull traverse.

In the case of the IS-3, the tracks are a much better use of free XP, as they provide a stronger bonus to both eHP/ton, two other added bonuses, and cost less than half as much. I've found this to be the case on many, many tanks.

TL;DR

Gun (& turret if available) > Tracks > Engine

So much this. About time someone preached the importance of track upgrades

336 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict

TengenToppaPotatoLagann #13 Posted 01 June 2020 - 12:10 AM

ᵐʸ ʰᵉˢʰ ʷᶦᶫᶫ ᵖᶦᵉʳᶜᵉ ᵗʰᵉ ʰᵉᵃᵛᵉᶰˢ﹗

• Players
  • 59084 battles
  • [RNSF]

View PostPosit1ve_, on 31 May 2020 - 02:48 PM, said:

So much this. About time someone preached the importance of track upgrades

I used to try and advocate for tracks, but nobody gave two hoots about terrain resistance >.<

View Postoicram1, on 31 May 2020 - 02:15 PM, said:

I have hoarded up 747,856 at the moment. Just sit on it like Smaug, take a nap. 

Sitting on 1.5 million free xp... If the super conq comes in crates I'll probably break 2 milli :0

Best advice has already been given: save it for *choice* modules to unstock a tank and make the grind bearable. 

#2 TOG pilot (na) (retired)

View Postminitel_NA, on 13 January 2018 - 03:06 AM, said:

when I’m tired I think I’m good.

Kiwi_Kebab #14 Posted 01 June 2020 - 01:36 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6690 battles
  • [ENDDZ]

Some stock grinds aren't that bad. The T92E1 was actually OK, even with the stock engine and tracks. 

Some stock grinds feel like a march through Hades. For these, having some Free XP lying around can be very helpful (for modules). 

This is what the honeymoon period is for: determining if the stock composition is worth grinding out or not. 

_Crusader6_ #15 Posted 01 June 2020 - 03:35 AM

Angry Mod

• Players
  • 68728 battles
  • [DEF]

View PostTengenToppaPotatoLagann, on 31 May 2020 - 07:10 PM, said:

I used to try and advocate for tracks, but nobody gave two hoots about terrain resistance >.<

Sitting on 1.5 million free xp... If the super conq comes in crates I'll probably break 2 milli :0

Best advice has already been given: save it for *choice* modules to unstock a tank and make the grind bearable. 

You know the SC is going to be release first in crates.  
   That is WG’s First Release method for tier X ‘Premium’ tanks.  
It will come to the store for $ after 3-6 months. 

Tank Hoarder: 415 tanks in Garage:  423/423 Played Tanks Aced

NON LINE OF SIGHT MISSILES ARE AN AWFUL MECHANIC 

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

_The_Tactition_ #16 Posted 01 June 2020 - 04:13 AM

The Best Tactician

• Players
  • 25391 battles
  • [CRUEL]
Wait until the high tiers (8-10) or farm it like me

Member of the Training Room Police Department

My YouTube:https://m.youtube.com/channel/UChFwqqu30_epeLO0q-BKEFw 

Give us the IRON CROSS

minitel_NA #17 Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:34 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

The best way to use free XP is once a year at the Christmas fair. 
make sure to have 3-4 millions at hand for a free tank.

good luck.

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users