I hate this Matilda! Why do I have to play this stupid tank!?!?

Matilda Tier IV

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Zappatiztaz #1 Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:16 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 6682 battles
  • [OC-OC]

I'm relatively new to this game, and I just got enough money to buy a new tank, I'm all excited, but after playing a bunch......I hate this stupid tank!  I went from crushing it with the Cruiser IV to completely getting owned with the Matilda, like I didn't think a super slow tank would also not have enough armor or fire-power to make up for that....

its really annoying that I HAVE to play a whole bunch as this terrible tank to advance, I wish I could just advance by winning in my Cruiser IV!  I also don't feel like grinding out on a whole new country's tanks, not yet anyways.

Anyone else had this frustrating madness?!?  I would imagine so, as I saw someone write out a whole GUIDE to how to survive longer with this thing....

ANY tips or tricks, I updated and improved it all the way with modules, gun upgrades, equipment, provisions and all the things I could see that would be of any help and I'm still just getting sped towards and run down just about every match....and by that time usually my team is off in a totally other direction....I'm trying to stick near the team but thats not foolproof at all either, and often times there is a (oh no!) 15 degree incline!  that takes an entire minute to get up!  what a ridiculous tank, I feel like this is going to take forever to get to the next tank at 10.5 thousand xp points....

Edited by Zappatiztaz, 05 June 2020 - 11:16 PM.

BlitzAssassin #2 Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:20 PM

Kool Aid Drinker

• Players
  • 24274 battles
  • [-CFE-]
First question is why haven’t you played in three months and ask this now? Don’t understand the point of this post sorry.

Edited by BlitzAssassin, 05 June 2020 - 11:21 PM.

MarBearCat #3 Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:26 PM

Pennsylvania's Favorite Cat!

• Players
  • 22553 battles
  • [SDWA]

When I played the Matilda it was a medium tank and I hated it. Others spoke well about it. Just drive to the cap

and blast the reds, something like that they would say. 

I gave up on her after 64 battles and free-xp'd to the nex tank in line, not sure but I think it was the crusader.

Does anyone remember what followed the Matilda on the tree line when it was a medium?

How I won 51.6% with this tank is beyond me......must have been carried.:D

Heavy Is The Cat That's Carried!

j_rod #4 Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:30 PM

Better Looking Than Cletus, and The Forum Jester

• Players
  • 27902 battles
  • [H0B0S]

View PostBlitzAssassin, on 05 June 2020 - 05:20 PM, said:

First question is why haven’t you played in three months and ask this now? Don’t understand the point of this post sorry.

Blitzstars doesn’t start tracking stats until a name is searched for the first time. So it looks like he hasn’t played in 3 months, but it’s actually bc today was the first day his name was searched.

Working as intended

It was never fair... but it was fun! - Krietenstein34 

Zappatiztaz #5 Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:30 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 6682 battles
  • [OC-OC]

for real....yah Crusader is next, that one looks like an actual step up from the Cruiser not a step down like I consider this one (even with higher damage and armor ratings)

JakeBaby #6 Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:33 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3077 battles
  • [HWTZR]

View PostMarBearCat, on 05 June 2020 - 07:26 PM, said:

Does anyone remember what followed the Matilda on the tree line when it was a medium?

The Churchill 1 still used to follow it. The medium 3 preceded it.

I do not have a single clue what I'm doing. You have a problem with that?

Tier X Wishlist: IS-4, T-62A, Progetto 65, Kranvagn

Premium Wishlist: Obj. 252U, KV-5, Progetto 46, M6A2E1/[Experimental], Emil 1951

Zappatiztaz #7 Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:34 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 6682 battles
  • [OC-OC]

oh yah you can go with Crusader or the Churchill 1 thats right.....

apparently the Matilda was great in the early time that it was invented, and its heavy cast-metal armor would stop anti-tank rounds and made Hitler push to redesign their tanks.....in those early days it was effective.....but now in the game world....quite out-dated

Edited by Zappatiztaz, 05 June 2020 - 11:34 PM.

FitzhughGoode #8 Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:36 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 115342 battles
  • [FUXII]

Never played the Matilda myself.  Wouldn’t now, ‘cuz I’d just free xp past it.  Don’t play much below tier 6 these days since update 5.5.  Did today just ‘cuz of Boris B.

Back to your subject.  What I did play was a ton of Valentine II battles.  Playing a slow tank, it takes forever to get anywhere so I tended to play middle of the map a lot.  There one might get a lot of spots and attract Red Team’s attention.  Which is sort of the point with a tank with a lot of armour.  While Red is dog piling on you, hopefully a few of your more alert team mates are busy farming.

You just don’t have the speed to chase players down so sometimes capping the flag to bring them to you may be the way to go.  I would estimate capping right from the start maybe 15%ish of the time.

In short, don’t camp.  Get involved as soon as you can by using the middle of the map.  Most maps have a good to great area to go in the middle.

j_rod #9 Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:38 PM

Better Looking Than Cletus, and The Forum Jester

• Players
  • 27902 battles
  • [H0B0S]

View PostZappatiztaz, on 05 June 2020 - 05:34 PM, said:

oh yah you can go with Crusader or the Churchill 1 thats right.....

apparently the Matilda was great in the early time that it was invented, and its heavy cast-metal armor would stop anti-tank rounds and made Hitler push to redesign their tanks.....in those early days it was effective.....but now in the game world....quite out-dated

Rather than give a long winded answer, the short of it is that for the first few dozen games you were going against bots and now you’re seeing actual players.

I’ll hit you up in game and show you a few quick pointers. 

Working as intended

It was never fair... but it was fun! - Krietenstein34 

Doilky #10 Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:39 PM

(Doh-Key)

• Players
  • 20361 battles
  • [MSTRY]
You've been doing great in your tier 3 tanks because you've mostly been fighting bots.   I think now you are starting to play against actual players, and not the garbage AI.  The game is definitely harder against real players. 

krietenstein34 #11 Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:52 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 32308 battles
  • [HAHA]
The Matilda used to be a rock....... Low tier it suffers now.  Doilky prol said it best. You are playing people now.   Just another tank WG ruined
:girl:

Smiley913 #12 Posted 06 June 2020 - 12:17 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 17562 battles
The Crusader is a really fun tank. Just push through the disappointment of the Matilda.
Proud Wallet Warrior: Allowing Whiners to Play For Free, One Purchase at a Time :)

Mako__Reizei___ #13 Posted 06 June 2020 - 12:52 AM

Sleepyhead

• Players
  • 8096 battles
  • [ALIAS]
The Matilda was an awesome, top tier seal clubber tank that absolutely owned tier 3 and 4 and could stand up to tier 5 like pre 5.5. Now, the tank is pretty mediocre because most tanks at tier 3 and 4 got a penetration buff which made most of them able to penetrate your armor with relative ease if you don't angle properly and even with angling some will still go through.

Must. Have. 60%. Winrate. Under. 0.5%. Platoon. Rate!!! (30 day)

Maus addict, might play alt account more just to play Maus... (Nano_Virus)

Noob666_ #14 Posted 06 June 2020 - 01:13 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8433 battles
  • [TDB]

View PostZappatiztaz, on 05 June 2020 - 05:16 PM, said:

I'm relatively new to this game, and I just got enough money to buy a new tank, I'm all excited, but after playing a bunch......I hate this stupid tank!  I went from crushing it with the Cruiser IV to completely getting owned with the Matilda, like I didn't think a super slow tank would also not have enough armor or fire-power to make up for that....

its really annoying that I HAVE to play a whole bunch as this terrible tank to advance, I wish I could just advance by winning in my Cruiser IV!  I also don't feel like grinding out on a whole new country's tanks, not yet anyways.

Anyone else had this frustrating madness?!?  I would imagine so, as I saw someone write out a whole GUIDE to how to survive longer with this thing....

ANY tips or tricks, I updated and improved it all the way with modules, gun upgrades, equipment, provisions and all the things I could see that would be of any help and I'm still just getting sped towards and run down just about every match....and by that time usually my team is off in a totally other direction....I'm trying to stick near the team but thats not foolproof at all either, and often times there is a (oh no!) 15 degree incline!  that takes an entire minute to get up!  what a ridiculous tank, I feel like this is going to take forever to get to the next tank at 10.5 thousand xp points....

1. Sidescrape. The side armor is really good and you can get trollish bounces.

2. Just why are u grinding the British heavy line? The churchills suffers from being pretty lightly armored considering only being slightly faster than a T95, and low alpha high ROF can be unforgiving for a newbie. The Matilda was OP compared to the Churchill.

3. Theres such thing as a engine boost. Use it. Out DPM any lower tier bots you are fighting.

4. Don't rely on me for information. Seriously, look at my Blitzstars.

BAR_001 #15 Posted 06 June 2020 - 02:46 AM

Mechanized com poster

• Players
  • 32522 battles
  • [HAHA]

View Postkrietenstein34, on 05 June 2020 - 04:52 PM, said:

The Matilda used to be a rock....... Low tier it suffers now.  Doilky prol said it best. You are playing people now.   Just another tank WG ruined

I havent played mine forever. It still sits on the top of my top tanks list @ 65.87%. It used to be capable of some epic battles, but I lost interest after the low tier nuke.

RNG doesn't bother hackers.

otirruborez #16 Posted 06 June 2020 - 06:56 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1900 battles

you were fighting bots only before the matilda. once you hit tier 4, the bots go away. that's why you're struggling. the matilda is a good tier 4.

pretty much every tank is garbage when not upgraded though.

Edited by otirruborez, 06 June 2020 - 06:58 AM.

MarBearCat #17 Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:01 AM

Pennsylvania's Favorite Cat!

• Players
  • 22553 battles
  • [SDWA]
You'll have a lot more fun with the Matilda IV.

Heavy Is The Cat That's Carried!

generalhonks #18 Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:08 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7787 battles
  • [HOUSE]

Angle and sidescrape, if you don’t know what sidescraping is, there is a lot of guides in the player info area on the forums. 

And I think for best interest you should try the Russian tech tree, cause those are good beginner tanks. But if you want to go down the British line, you do that. For the British line I would suggest the Cromwell, as it is very much the same playstyle as the Crusader and the Cruiser IV. Have fun tanking, and welcome to the forums. Hopefully we can help you.

No, I’m not defending German technical superiority, I’m stating the ****ing obvious!

Zappatiztaz #19 Posted 06 June 2020 - 02:32 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 6682 battles
  • [OC-OC]

wow thanks for all the replies!  many of them are much more helpful and gracious than I'd have expected ... guess i'm jaded by the internet or something

but yah solid replies, thanks again much appreciated, i'll try that stuff out

and yah lol i played a bit 3 months ago then started playing a bunch of Battle Tanks: Legends of WWII , which initially was lots of fun, very simple and fun to jump in to, but its simplicity is its downfall as well....very limited maps (really only 6 i think, 1 that is terrible and i never play) and limited amount of tanks....also the way they rank the tanks (their tank-rank if you will) seems a little off the more I learn about the actual tanks and their actual performance...for instance the M4 Sherman is one of the top tanks.... there are some fun features and differences from this game but its very similar..... a couple things this one could incorporate to improve it are choosing camo for your tanks....thats really nice....and being able to turn down or off that dude's voice!  oh it also has a really nice soundtrack throughout the game.  but this one has such satisfying sounds when you shoot rounds.....thats really nice

RedOctopus #20 Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:29 PM

Hit by the door, on the way out.

• Players
  • 2487 battles
  • [10]

View PostZappatiztaz, on 05 June 2020 - 11:16 PM, said:

Ehhh.... when it's top tier it's actually pretty good. The minute you get uptiered to tier 5 your screwed. Your only hope is to play it like a TD and camp at the back of the map.

Also tagged with Matilda, Tier IV

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users