Controllers again

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Boatnik2020 #1 Posted 07 June 2020 - 01:24 AM

Private

• Players
  • 8504 battles
  • [OMERO]
I am playing on a PC with a key board and mouse. The mouse is fine but I have issues using the key board. It is me, not the game. I get out of place and lose seconds trying to figure out why the tank isn't responding to command. I would love to go to a joy stick or game controller because that is what i am used to. However I refuse to throw money away on something that may not work. Will this program support either a joystick or controller using Win10?

acrisis #2 Posted 07 June 2020 - 10:19 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 21331 battles
  • [III-S]
Stay driving in 3D, do not enter sniper mode until you are ready to fire. 

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

[ NEW > ]  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified usingPingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii
Blitz University | Basic Training  |  Mentor  |  The Pingplotter Guy

Boatnik2020 #3 Posted 07 June 2020 - 09:48 PM

Private

• Players
  • 8504 battles
  • [OMERO]
That much I understand. The issue is taking my hands off the key board to address other items like communication, shell selection damage repair etc. I don't type worth a tinker's dam. The hand doesn't just fall back into the right spot. I played M1A1 Platoon for years with the joy stick. I miss the multi function joy stick. I don't like a touch screen.

Gerbebob #4 Posted 24 October 2020 - 06:07 PM

Private

• Players
  • 10806 battles
  • [OLD1]

I use a standard Xbox controller on a Windows10 PC, accessing game through Steam.  It works fine and the hookup was no problem but I had to tweak the controller quite a bit.  By tweak I mean I use JoyToKey to make button assignments and twiddle with joystick sensitivity.  With that done, it works quite well EXCEPT.  Using the controller is very comfortable and I have button access for ammo, consumables and communication.  Fire and autoaim on triggers.  Using the joystick to 'look around' is easier than mouse, IMHO>  With experience Dpad is ok for driving tank.  The EXCEPT is aiming and firing quickly and accurately.  Tons of postings about joysticks being inferior to a mouse for aiming quickly and accurately.  Applies here except that I don't think the difference is quite as dramatic because in WOT you often (but not always) have the time for the aimed shot.

My game suffers accordingly (those who flag play as 'noobs', well, doesn't mean we aren't studying and trying with Zen laser focus to be better, just means we are doing the best we can with materials on hand).  My fingers are just too large and stubby to work a keyboard, and my wrists are shot after 50 years of typing/keyboarding.  In the obsessive hunt for better performance I still look for WASD and keyboard alternatives.  Currently exploring a vertical mouse (J-Tech Digital V628) where I hope to reprogram the forward/back buttons to give me the ability to switch between multiple key assignments in rotation like JoyToKey does, so I could assign the forward button to rotate between 1, 2 and 3 to select ammunition, and the backward button to 4, 5 and 6 for consumables.  This would move everything to the mouse except WASD, and even with my sausage fingers I think I could handle that on the keyboard.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users