Tutorial

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

DrasLeona247 #1 Posted 25 June 2020 - 05:30 PM

Admiral of the Fleet

• Players
  • 23009 battles
  • [UTC]

Just had a game where the E75 in our team (tier 8/9 game) immediately climbed onto the back hill of Dead Rail and started sniping. This lead to us losing, of course, and afterwards I went to give him a meaningless downvote when I checked his stats. He only had 800 games, and this was his first battle in tier 9. His 42% stats in the Tiger 2 and such led me to believe that he was simply misguided.

Out of curiosity I restarted the game and went to a new account to try out the tutorial. Upon completing it, I now see why it would be completely understandable for a new player to miss out on key aspects of gameplay.

1. The tutorial does not give specific information/advice on the different classes. It only provides useless information on the various tier 1 tanks such as “this tank has mobility!” or “this tank can snipe!” (Pz 2). Basic information on how the classes should play is absent.

2. The tutorial fails to provide information on shell types. The only thing it provides is “the front of the tank has the thickest armor, whereas the sides and rear are thinner!” How is that supposed to help if a new player starts going up a heavy line? Also, we cannot forget the sneaky trick of defaulting premium ammunition to gold payments, which, like myself in 2015, is probably tricking new players into spending their gold.

3. Most importantly, the tutorial fails to provide even the most simplest of demonstrations of good gameplay. If I freshly downloaded this game and played the tutorial, I would assume that winning is as simple as driving forward and pressing the fire button as fast as I can. Even spending 20-30 seconds showing a simple side-scrape, hill peek, or circle of death would be beneficial. Most, but not all, of players bother looking up strategies and tips and tricks on YouTube, and hence it is critical that at least a little information be provided in the tutorial. 

3 a. Starting World of Warships, the tutorial in-game gives a very good idea of how to play each class of ship, and tactics to use. The guide on the WoWS website is even more helpful, providing detailed explanations of ammunition, nations, and classes. Though players may be less motivated to read a guide online for a mobile game, I’d like to think that new players approaching the 700-800 game mark ARE interested, but simply do not know where to turn.

Overall, the tutorial is utterly useless. Anybody starting a game knows “aim the gun at the bunker!” or “move this way!”. This then leads to a few training rounds against bots that drive forward. As such, you also drive forward and tap the button as fast as you can. “Victory!”, it says. So you then proceed along the overly-simplified tech tree repeating the same bad gameplay over and over again, but you assume the losses are fine since, after all, you are getting XP and moving up the tiers. Sure people say mean things in the chat, but you’re doing your best, and they’re just getting angry over a mobile game anyway.

The loading screen tips are even more useless. “We recommend holding your device with 2 hands with thumbs at the sides!” Ohhh, thanks, I was holding the iPad vertically, this helped. You could include things such as “French heavies have low armor but compensate with fast speed and autoloader clips“ or  “spaced armor (accompanied with image of T26e4 turret) deflects HEAT and HE rounds. It can only be penned with AP and APCR.” You get the picture.

After fighting a few rounds against bots on the completely flat “Trial by Fire” training map, you do one more round on a map (I got Mines) against more bots. Then, you are brought back to the garage for your official tank education, consisting of 4 tips in the tech tree:

“Initial-tier tanks are light tanks”

(What? Ah, yes, I forgot the Batchat and Sheridan are “initial-tier”)

“Medium tanks feature better speed performance”

(So how do they differ from light tanks...?)

“Heavy tanks boast thick armor” 
(Oh, so I drive forward and shoot, got it)

”Tank destroyers are capable of causing heavy damage with a single shot”

(So I drive forward and shoot with the big gun, got it)

“Congratulations! You have completed basic training. Good luck on the battlefield!”

No wonder teams are the way they are.

Edited by DrasLeona247, 25 June 2020 - 05:32 PM.

Some people say the Type 62 is overpowered. Having >500 battles and a 67% winrate, I may agree. However, none of y'all realize just how uncomfortable it is to sit down on these flimsy plastic seats with "Made in China" emblazoned on them. I mean, my cupholder just broke in half. How the f#%$ am I supposed to fire 250mm pen HEAT shells at the fronts of Tier 8 heavies if I have to be holding my Red Bull in one hand at the same time? It's ridiculous.

_Crusader6_ #2 Posted 25 June 2020 - 05:35 PM

The Society’s NA President

• Players
  • 67193 battles
  • [DEF]

Despite the WoWS tutorial, it’s playerbase is worse that here. 

I’d love to see a better tutorial, but it’s a mobile game and few players care.  

Tank Hoarder: 404 tanks in Garage:  420/420 Played Tanks Aced

NON LINE OF SIGHT MISSILES ARE AN AWFUL MECHANIC 

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

DrasLeona247 #3 Posted 25 June 2020 - 05:54 PM

Admiral of the Fleet

• Players
  • 23009 battles
  • [UTC]

View Post_Crusader6_, on 25 June 2020 - 11:35 AM, said:

Despite the WoWS tutorial, it’s playerbase is worse that here. 

I’d love to see a better tutorial, but it’s a mobile game and few players care.  

True, but even just 45 seconds more information could go a long way. 

Some people say the Type 62 is overpowered. Having >500 battles and a 67% winrate, I may agree. However, none of y'all realize just how uncomfortable it is to sit down on these flimsy plastic seats with "Made in China" emblazoned on them. I mean, my cupholder just broke in half. How the f#%$ am I supposed to fire 250mm pen HEAT shells at the fronts of Tier 8 heavies if I have to be holding my Red Bull in one hand at the same time? It's ridiculous.

RedOctopus #4 Posted 25 June 2020 - 06:13 PM

Hit by the door, on the way out.

• Players
  • 2360 battles
  • [10]

View PostDrasLeona247, on 25 June 2020 - 05:30 PM, said:

Just had a game where the E75 in our team (tier 8/9 game) immediately climbed onto the back hill of Dead Rail and started sniping. This lead to us losing, of course, and afterwards I went to give him a meaningless downvote when I checked his stats. He only had 800 games, and this was his first battle in tier 9. His 42% stats in the Tiger 2 and such led me to believe that he was simply misguided.

Out of curiosity I restarted the game and went to a new account to try out the tutorial. Upon completing it, I now see why it would be completely understandable for a new player to miss out on key aspects of gameplay.

1. The tutorial does not give specific information/advice on the different classes. It only provides useless information on the various tier 1 tanks such as “this tank has mobility!” or “this tank can snipe!” (Pz 2). Basic information on how the classes should play is absent.

2. The tutorial fails to provide information on shell types. The only thing it provides is “the front of the tank has the thickest armor, whereas the sides and rear are thinner!” How is that supposed to help if a new player starts going up a heavy line? Also, we cannot forget the sneaky trick of defaulting premium ammunition to gold payments, which, like myself in 2015, is probably tricking new players into spending their gold.

3. Most importantly, the tutorial fails to provide even the most simplest of demonstrations of good gameplay. If I freshly downloaded this game and played the tutorial, I would assume that winning is as simple as driving forward and pressing the fire button as fast as I can. Even spending 20-30 seconds showing a simple side-scrape, hill peek, or circle of death would be beneficial. Most, but not all, of players bother looking up strategies and tips and tricks on YouTube, and hence it is critical that at least a little information be provided in the tutorial. 

3 a. Starting World of Warships, the tutorial in-game gives a very good idea of how to play each class of ship, and tactics to use. The guide on the WoWS website is even more helpful, providing detailed explanations of ammunition, nations, and classes. Though players may be less motivated to read a guide online for a mobile game, I’d like to think that new players approaching the 700-800 game mark ARE interested, but simply do not know where to turn.

Overall, the tutorial is utterly useless. Anybody starting a game knows “aim the gun at the bunker!” or “move this way!”. This then leads to a few training rounds against bots that drive forward. As such, you also drive forward and tap the button as fast as you can. “Victory!”, it says. So you then proceed along the overly-simplified tech tree repeating the same bad gameplay over and over again, but you assume the losses are fine since, after all, you are getting XP and moving up the tiers. Sure people say mean things in the chat, but you’re doing your best, and they’re just getting angry over a mobile game anyway.

The loading screen tips are even more useless. “We recommend holding your device with 2 hands with thumbs at the sides!” Ohhh, thanks, I was holding the iPad vertically, this helped. You could include things such as “French heavies have low armor but compensate with fast speed and autoloader clips“ or  “spaced armor (accompanied with image of T26e4 turret) deflects HEAT and HE rounds. It can only be penned with AP and APCR.” You get the picture.

After fighting a few rounds against bots on the completely flat “Trial by Fire” training map, you do one more round on a map (I got Mines) against more bots. Then, you are brought back to the garage for your official tank education, consisting of 4 tips in the tech tree:

“Initial-tier tanks are light tanks”

(What? Ah, yes, I forgot the Batchat and Sheridan are “initial-tier”)

“Medium tanks feature better speed performance”

(So how do they differ from light tanks...?)

“Heavy tanks boast thick armor” 
(Oh, so I drive forward and shoot, got it)

”Tank destroyers are capable of causing heavy damage with a single shot”

(So I drive forward and shoot with the big gun, got it)

“Congratulations! You have completed basic training. Good luck on the battlefield!”

No wonder teams are the way they are.

Wouldn't mind a better tutorial. I think the tutorial should focus more on strategies such as sidescraping and going hull-down. 

DeathInTanks #5 Posted 25 June 2020 - 06:29 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10556 battles
When new players are set up for failure, they see shiny new premium tanks winning and think that buying them will make them automatically good.
Remember what the general said. We're the cavalry. It would be bad form to arrive early; in the nick of time would do nicely.

EL_Din_46 #6 Posted 25 June 2020 - 06:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9444 battles

View PostRedOctopus, on 25 June 2020 - 10:13 AM, said:

Wouldn't mind a better tutorial. I think the tutorial should focus more on strategies such as sidescraping and going hull-down. 

I’d go for something more basic. An intro to cover, camo, classes, ammo, focus fire, and a lead in to their Player Guides and Video forums.

This is what you get for letting rednecks play with antimatter, boss.

John Ringo, Hell’s Faire

GLKamper #7 Posted 25 June 2020 - 06:45 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 38903 battles

Nothing in the tutorials emphasizes that this is a team game. Too many players go in the direction that their tank is facing and think the game is about 1v1’ing whoever they run into. They spam SOS! if the fight goes badly and then die alone and angry.

Veterans need to be more vocal with calls at the start and hope people pay attention. 

_Cletus #8 Posted 25 June 2020 - 06:52 PM

Voodoo Wizard

• Players
  • 29641 battles
  • [III-C]
The tutorial is fine to get players going in tier 1.  When they buy their first tier 2 tank, they need another tutorial that'll go a wee bit more in depth.  And another that's more in depth after tier 3, all the way up to something that emphasizes cover, hull down, sidescraping, and class roles when they buy their first tier 5.  For tier 6 they could include an optional tutorial on the proper voodoo practices to enhance favorable RNG.

dport02 #9 Posted 25 June 2020 - 07:12 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 33415 battles
  • [-FE4R]

View PostGLKamper, on 25 June 2020 - 12:45 PM, said:

Nothing in the tutorials emphasizes that this is a team game. Too many players go in the direction that their tank is facing and think the game is about 1v1’ing whoever they run into. They spam SOS! if the fight goes badly and then die alone and angry.

Veterans need to be more vocal with calls at the start and hope people pay attention. 

The problem is, I’ll call a certain direction, and people will ignore or say no, or “I’m too slow”. And I’ve had people call town on middleburg! I don’t understand how they think town works. 

RNG is rigged !

Kiwi_Kebab #10 Posted 25 June 2020 - 07:32 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6690 battles
  • [ENDDZ]

View Post_Cletus, on 25 June 2020 - 12:52 PM, said:

The tutorial is fine to get players going in tier 1.  When they buy their first tier 2 tank, they need another tutorial that'll go a wee bit more in depth.  And another that's more in depth after tier 3, all the way up to something that emphasizes cover, hull down, sidescraping, and class roles when they buy their first tier 5.  For tier 6 they could include an optional tutorial on the proper voodoo practices to enhance favorable RNG.

I like this idea; you could even give new players specific unique missions, one of which includes an ammo tutorial, side-scraping, and hull-down tutorial, and maybe even a walk through of what the statistics of each tank mean, and where they are located. 

Unrelated, but Id like to see Trial by Fire in training rooms

wrecker1968 #11 Posted 25 June 2020 - 07:37 PM

Head of Security

• Players
  • 51895 battles
  • [HOUSE]
Bring this to their attention during the live stream tomorrow.

_Crusader6_ #12 Posted 25 June 2020 - 07:59 PM

The Society’s NA President

• Players
  • 67193 battles
  • [DEF]

View PostKiwi_Kebab, on 25 June 2020 - 02:32 PM, said:

I like this idea; you could even give new players specific unique missions, one of which includes an ammo tutorial, side-scraping, and hull-down tutorial, and maybe even a walk through of what the statistics of each tank mean, and where they are located. 

Unrelated, but Id like to see Trial by Fire in training rooms

A graduated tutorial would make so much sense.  

Tank Hoarder: 404 tanks in Garage:  420/420 Played Tanks Aced

NON LINE OF SIGHT MISSILES ARE AN AWFUL MECHANIC 

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

bwcamp #13 Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:07 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8058 battles
  • [WOY1]

View PostDrasLeona247, on 25 June 2020 - 05:54 PM, said:

True, but even just 45 seconds more information could go a long way. 

what are you gonna get in 45 seconds? The mechanics of game take awhile to explain, and different starts I would assume too. Yeah better tutorial is needed, but more than 45 secs. I say entire revamp.

EL_Din_46 #14 Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:17 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9444 battles

View Postbwcamp, on 25 June 2020 - 02:07 PM, said:

what are you gonna get in 45 seconds? The mechanics of game take awhile to explain, and different starts I would assume too. Yeah better tutorial is needed, but more than 45 secs. I say entire revamp.

^^^^^^

This is what you get for letting rednecks play with antimatter, boss.

John Ringo, Hell’s Faire

Morphman11 #15 Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 32 battles
There is no point to extend or modify the tutorial. It is for basic operation. If someone wants to get better there is plenty of information available for free. Forcing someone that doesn’t care will never do anything because absolutely no one pays attention to the tutorial regardless. 

tackyping #16 Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:21 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 9120 battles
  • [NERFD]

View Postwrecker1968, on 25 June 2020 - 02:37 PM, said:

Bring this to their attention during the live stream tomorrow.

Even if we bring up a "make better tutorial" they aren't gonna do anything.

Edited by tackyping, 25 June 2020 - 10:22 PM.

"Some people think they can outsmart me.  Maybe, Maybe.  I have yet to see one who can outsmart the bullet." - Heavy

i like gold

shyw #17 Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:27 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 50479 battles
  • [DOGZ]

Let all the new players stay in training rooms against other new players or bots and must complete “X” number of training battles/missions before they are allowed to enter into a real battle.

Also.....you can only purchase a certain tier premium tank if you already grinded, researched and have that tier tank in your garage.

Absolute_Sniper #18 Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:50 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 43392 battles
  • [CRUEL]

View PostMorphman11, on 25 June 2020 - 10:19 PM, said:

There is no point to extend or modify the tutorial. It is for basic operation. If someone wants to get better there is plenty of information available for free. Forcing someone that doesn’t care will never do anything because absolutely no one pays attention to the tutorial regardless. 

Those that want to improve, will improve. This is true even if there was no tutorial at all. 

I used to have a picture here but tiny pic took an arrow to the knee....

https://discord.gg/twdc4Dq

minitel_NA #19 Posted 25 June 2020 - 11:21 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]
6 years and counting...

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

minitel_NA #20 Posted 25 June 2020 - 11:26 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

View Post_Cletus, on 25 June 2020 - 06:52 PM, said:

only presidents have the ability to unite all good wills with such a small speech.

cletus, president !

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

Also tagged with Tutorial

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users