Help with Tortoise

Tortoise British tank help guide tips strategy

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

TheLegitPeanut #1 Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:09 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 7688 battles

So I just got the Tortoise and free XP’d the first gun, but in all honesty, I’m really bad in it. To me it seems like a really slow tank that is easily penned but that has a really nice gun. Do you guys have any tips on how to play it? Should I play it like a heavy or like a td? Thanks!

-TheLegitPeanut

Amblypigid #2 Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:03 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 13753 battles

Needs an armor buff. The cheeks by the gun are an easy pen for anything with around 230 pen. That doesn't cut it against tier 8 tanks, let alone tier 9 or 10. Only chance is to use the gun arc around a corner to maximize the angle, and even then there just isn't enough armor to stop tier 9 rounds. Add in the fact that you get to fight tanks running 370 HEAT pen with calibrated shells and you simply have no armor. Only thing going for it is the gun, so you have to figure out a way to get shots off without getting wrecked. That'll depend on the matchmaking but for the most part I'd say it certainly plays more like a TD than a heavy.

Every time I see a Tortoise I send a quick prayer that it will get buffed while I CoD it or shoot through its cheeks like they aren't there. I'd love to see them do the same thing they did to the PC Tortoise.

WoT blitz is better than WoT PC imho because no arty and +/- 1 mm.

Jonny Applesauce

TheLegitPeanut #3 Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:25 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 7688 battles

View PostJonny_applesauce, on 29 June 2020 - 06:03 PM, said:

Needs an armor buff. The cheeks by the gun are an easy pen for anything with around 230 pen. That doesn't cut it against tier 8 tanks, let alone tier 9 or 10. Only chance is to use the gun arc around a corner to maximize the angle, and even then there just isn't enough armor to stop tier 9 rounds. Add in the fact that you get to fight tanks running 370 HEAT pen with calibrated shells and you simply have no armor. Only thing going for it is the gun, so you have to figure out a way to get shots off without getting wrecked. That'll depend on the matchmaking but for the most part I'd say it certainly plays more like a TD than a heavy.

Every time I see a Tortoise I send a quick prayer that it will get buffed while I CoD it or shoot through its cheeks like they aren't there. I'd love to see them do the same thing they did to the PC Tortoise.

Thanks for the advice! I will try to start playing it more like a td.

flexsphincter4 #4 Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:29 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 877 battles

The way I play this whole line was rarely follow the heavys and support the meds, I may follow meds but if map dictates ill go toward middle of map with cover solo to get my position to help  the meds flank with cross fire. Never go to desert unless your heavys go desert (no rocks or cover to prevent COD). 

Equipment: I use Improved control and gun rammer and extra armour not the extra HP. 

You have to have a plan , look at your tanks and were do meds go , say on himmelsdorf my meds decide to go to heavy ally ,( not preferred I think but happens) , I will follow down the side of map to the last pile of dirt , turn around and set up ambush for the rabid red meds and lights zooming around corner looking to get at our rear flank, ive kept 3-4 flanking tanks at bay solo many times while my team goes in a loop around fkn map, always be aware of keeping cupola behind the tallest part of dirt( very important)..  On the map with "park" in corner of map, (newish map) and im on the proper spawn side l go straight to the corner and put your right side against the wall and  beat up the heavys and take shots on the grille way over to the right. ,you will  bounce shots, they cant hit your cupola behind the wall and your gun will swing way to the right such that if a heavy is side scraping the corner , you will tearit a new one and the other heavys will be shot by me, or other heavys with me, with its rapid reload.. its an  op tank in my opinion but you have to know what your going to do with your options on the map and what the meds are going to do. I have had 1v1 and won more than a few times with a med or light and as long as you have solid cover you can scrap them of your side, make them pay or die trying to get "easy", TD kill.

zulton55 #5 Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:46 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 21264 battles
  • [ZLTN]

Put yourself on a hill at an angle to hide the cupola.  The tort has 10 degrees of gun depression and a wide gun arc.  You can hide most of the tank while doing this. (make sure there is a rock nearby to prevent COD).

If you have to go town, hide the right side and heavily angle the gun around a building.  (town is never fun)

_Crusader6_ #6 Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:59 PM

Vote Slime Mold

• Players
  • 70569 battles
  • [BDGER]

Twice the height of the T95 with half the armor and almost as slow, 

Honestly the Tort is miserable now. The armor is really only good against tier 8’s. 
  You can’t really front line due to the armor - so the options are finding a decent position second/third line, or tailgating a super heavy and using him as best as you can as a meat shield. 

I have not played mine in forever - for a good reason. 

Tank Hoarder: 424 tanks in Garage:  435/435 Played Tanks Aced

This space for rent until next terrible mechanic ;) 

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

TheLegitPeanut #7 Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:17 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 7688 battles

View Postflexsphincter4, on 29 June 2020 - 06:29 PM, said:

The way I play this whole line was rarely follow the heavys and support the meds, I may follow meds but if map dictates ill go toward middle of map with cover solo to get my position to help  the meds flank with cross fire. Never go to desert unless your heavys go desert (no rocks or cover to prevent COD). 

Equipment: I use Improved control and gun rammer and extra armour not the extra HP. 

You have to have a plan , look at your tanks and were do meds go , say on himmelsdorf my meds decide to go to heavy ally ,( not preferred I think but happens) , I will follow down the side of map to the last pile of dirt , turn around and set up ambush for the rabid red meds and lights zooming around corner looking to get at our rear flank, ive kept 3-4 flanking tanks at bay solo many times while my team goes in a loop around fkn map, always be aware of keeping cupola behind the tallest part of dirt( very important)..  On the map with "park" in corner of map, (newish map) and im on the proper spawn side l go straight to the corner and put your right side against the wall and  beat up the heavys and take shots on the grille way over to the right. ,you will  bounce shots, they cant hit your cupola behind the wall and your gun will swing way to the right such that if a heavy is side scraping the corner , you will tearit a new one and the other heavys will be shot by me, or other heavys with me, with its rapid reload.. its an  op tank in my opinion but you have to know what your going to do with your options on the map and what the meds are going to do. I have had 1v1 and won more than a few times with a med or light and as long as you have solid cover you can scrap them of your side, make them pay or die trying to get "easy", TD kill.

View Postzulton55, on 29 June 2020 - 06:46 PM, said:

Put yourself on a hill at an angle to hide the cupola.  The tort has 10 degrees of gun depression and a wide gun arc.  You can hide most of the tank while doing this. (make sure there is a rock nearby to prevent COD).

If you have to go town, hide the right side and heavily angle the gun around a building.  (town is never fun)

Yea I’ve been hearing that I should try to angle over hills! Thanks for all the tips!

Noob666_ #8 Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:00 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9097 battles
  • [TDB]

Kill it, cook it, then eat it.

Then watch some animal rights activists beat you for eating a tortoise.

Mako__Reizei___ #9 Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:27 PM

Sleepyhead

• Players
  • 8374 battles
  • [ALIAS]
Tbh, there's a few tanks where it's the tank itself and not the player and I think that the Tortoise is one of those tanks. "Thick" armor that most tier 8 tanks can penetrate consistently with gold and most tier 9 and 10 only need standard ammo to penetrate the front of this tank, not to mention that it's much taller than the T95 and it's slow too.

Must. Have. 60%. Winrate. Under. 0.5%. Platoon. Rate!!! (30 day)

Maus addict, might play alt account more just to play Maus... (Nano_Virus)

Hye_yeon_Cho #10 Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:54 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 954 battles
  • [4_EVA]

View PostTheLegitPeanut, on 29 June 2020 - 06:25 PM, said:

Thanks for the advice! I will try to start playing it more like a td.

It is a td. 

____Anti #11 Posted 14 July 2020 - 12:41 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 5319 battles
  • [-OPQ-]

View PostHye_yeon_Cho, on 30 June 2020 - 07:54 AM, said:

It is a td. 

glad you noticed that tortoise is a TD.

The whole line is in a bad position right now. Your cheeks are easily pennable, you are one of the slowest tanks in the game, and you would probably be better off in a jagdtiger or SU-122-54.

Boomer625 #12 Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:07 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 15031 battles
  • [MARDR]

Tortoise/AT line: Why am I here, just to suffer

WG: so there is less FV183 spam

also WG: smasher coming for crates! 40% drop rate but crates cost $100 each!

Also tagged with Tortoise, British, tank, help, guide, tips, strategy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users