What is the diff between HE and HEAT and when to use them?

HE Heat

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Padre_ShadowRider #1 Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:12 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 45504 battles
  • [GETIT]

What is the difference between HE and HEAT type shells and when and where are the best ways to use them?     Some tanks only offer HE  and I often use that against upper tiers when my AP rounds won't pen them. APCR are usually not worth the $$  cause they bounce way more often that AP rounds. 

Ronin_23 #2 Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:22 PM

Bot

• Players
  • 27606 battles
  • [TENET]

HEAT is basically always going to be a premium round variant (like APCR for many tanks) of a tank's shells. It'll have higher penetration than standard rounds.

It's similar to HE in that both shells are unable to go through destructible objects like fences. Additionally, both of these shell types benefit from the additional boost to penetration provided by Calibrated Shells when compared to the standard AP and APCR shell types. HEAT also doesn't lose penetration over distance like APCR and AP.

It struggles with spaced armor like HE and it can bounce like AP and APCR shells, doing 0 damage. It will not splash like HE. 

I'll add that I often find premium rounds are worth the extra cost. Penning more shots per game can definitely turn a loss into a win. Just be smart about it, weigh the risks of aiming harder with doing less damage. Make sure you purchase them with credits, not gold, by pressing that button near the ammo selection indicators to switch currency types. 

Edited by Ronin_23, 21 July 2020 - 08:23 PM.

Please correct my comma splices.

_BobaFett #3 Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:26 PM

Bounty Hunter

• Players
  • 17798 battles

View PostPadre_ShadowRider, on 21 July 2020 - 08:12 PM, said:

What is the difference between HE and HEAT type shells and when and where are the best ways to use them?     Some tanks only offer HE  and I often use that against upper tiers when my AP rounds won't pen them. APCR are usually not worth the $$  cause they bounce way more often that AP rounds. 

Since you asked:

AP (Armor Piercing): Standard ammo for most tanks. Average penetration. Can ricochet.

HEAT ( High Explosive Anti Tank): Premium ammo for some tanks. Higher penetration than APCR but lower shell velocity. Cannot penetrate spaced armor. Technically cannot ricochet but can deal no damage. 

APCR ( Armor Piercing Composit Rigid): Premium ammo for some tanks. Highest shell velocity out of all ammo types but loses penetration over distance. Can ricochet. 

HE (High Explosive): Secondary ammo for most tanks. Low penetration but high potential damage. Cannot penetrate spaced armor. Explodes on contact and can cause splash damage. Best used on lightly armored targets. Cannot ricochet.

Edited by Nathanronco, 21 July 2020 - 08:42 PM.

Formerly known as "Nathanronco".

insert fancy sig here 

lafite2014 #4 Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:28 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 51091 battles
  • [ACTIV]
HE rounds generally have very low pen so you’ll want to use it on the rear of tanks especially American tanks and the sides of some softer targets like light or medium tanks. In theory HE never bounces as it will do “splash” damage if only a little. That said I have had HE bounce. How I do not know. But it is also useful to reset a Cap because it should do some damage. 
HEAT is your premium round. It has a higher pen than AP usually so tier up heavies and such get HEAT. However premium rounds do less damage than your standard AP.
One interestIng thing about both HE and HEAT is that they do not rely on velocity to penetrate as they are chemical rounds. So for really long range shot APCR may just bounce due to loss of velocity, not so with the aforementioned two types. This applies to HESH as well. Hope this helps. 

jahawa #5 Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:29 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 19847 battles
  • [SPUDX]
HEAT has always been a mystery to me. I understand the concept, but have not learned well how to use it correctly. Especially on the T49. Sometimes HEAT just does nothing on point blank shots to the sides and rears of tanks. Maybe I'm missing shots because of the bad dispersion on the T49, but it is a bummer when you are about to take out a tank with HEAT and it rolls a big far ZERO.

Dolly_Sod #6 Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:30 PM

Highland Bog

• Players
  • 20748 battles
  • [MSTRY]

I always carry 10-12 premium shells (whether that's heat, apcr, or premium ap).  I use them I absolutely must pen a tank . 

Ookla_the_Mok #7 Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:31 PM

VCR is Peak Tech

• Players
  • 28800 battles
  • [BRSKT]

View PostPadre_ShadowRider, on 21 July 2020 - 02:12 PM, said:

Looks at battle count.

BRSKT Discord - Now 46% Dale Doback, 28% Gritty, and 26% folklore.
Alternatively you can check out
 [BRSKT]  

RonaldusMaximus_ #8 Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:48 PM

Self-Righteous Prick, and Physics Denier

• Players
  • 18735 battles
  • [III-C]
Its the only ammo you load in the Type 62

Boomer625 #9 Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:49 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 15500 battles
  • [MARDR]

HE and HEAT can seem to bounce, but actually its because they are absorbed by something, such as the gun, tracks, or if the armor it hits is simply too thick (37 mm HE against manus 250+ sloped armor)

This is why t49 really struggle even on the sides of some tanks with HEAT, as tank sidesusually have a portion of track, spaced armor panels, etc... better to hit the back of the turret or rear

chicken_stiffer #10 Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:01 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19982 battles
  • [DEF_6]

View PostNathanronco, on 21 July 2020 - 11:26 AM, said:

Since you asked:

AP (Armor Piercing): Standard ammo for most tanks. Average penetration. Can ricochet.

HEAT ( High Explosive Anti Tank): Premium ammo for some tanks. Higher penetration than APCR but lower shell velocity. Cannot penetrate spaced armor. Technically cannot ricochet but can deal no damage. 

APCR ( Armor Piercing Composit Rigid): Premium ammo for some tanks. Highest shell velocity out of all ammo types but loses penetration over distance. Can ricochet. 

HE (High Explosive): Secondary ammo for most tanks. Low penetration but high potential damage. Cannot penetrate spaced armor. Explodes on contact and can cause splash damage. Best used on lightly armored targets. Cannot ricochet.       USE FOR THE BUTT SHOT IN THE REAR USUALLY CAN PEN THERE AND CAUSE MAJOR DAMAGE

chicken_stiffer #11 Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:03 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19982 battles
  • [DEF_6]

View PostPadre_ShadowRider, on 21 July 2020 - 11:12 AM, said:

https://www.blitzstars.com/player/com/Padre_ShadowRider

Sleepy_Grizzly #12 Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:08 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4385 battles

View PostOokla_the_Mok, on 21 July 2020 - 01:31 PM, said:

Looks at battle count.

View Postchicken_stiffer, on 21 July 2020 - 02:03 PM, said:

Why are you guys commenting on his battle count and linking his blitzstars? He's here with a legitimate question. His stats and battle count have nothing to do with that.

Ookla_the_Mok #13 Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:22 PM

VCR is Peak Tech

• Players
  • 28800 battles
  • [BRSKT]

View PostDeliciousPancakes_, on 21 July 2020 - 03:08 PM, said:

Why are you guys commenting on his battle count and linking his blitzstars? He's here with a legitimate question. His stats and battle count have nothing to do with that.

I didn't link to his stats and I never even bother to look. I don't really care.

However, WG just undid a big chunk of them blowing up the lower tiers. This effort was based on the idea that they would work to educate the playerbase. Well, here is a guy with 40K+ battles and he doesn't know basic shell types.

I do think he got good answers and hopefully this helps him. I don't care what his stats are and you can see that I never stat shamed because I have no clue what his numbers are nor is it relevant to my point.

BRSKT Discord - Now 46% Dale Doback, 28% Gritty, and 26% folklore.
Alternatively you can check out
 [BRSKT]  

Chiefmac #14 Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:23 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 55556 battles
  • [ROTI]

View PostDeliciousPancakes_, on 21 July 2020 - 01:08 PM, said:

Right? wth is wrong with people ? 

OP - great question and you’ve gotten some great tips. I’d only add - its en Vogue today to use SC for APCR shells and CS for added HEAT/HE/HESH penetration. 

Edited by Chiefmac, 21 July 2020 - 09:23 PM.

Padre_ShadowRider #15 Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:46 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 45504 battles
  • [GETIT]

View Postlafite2014, on 21 July 2020 - 08:28 PM, said:

HE rounds generally have very low pen so you’ll want to use it on the rear of tanks especially American tanks and the sides of some softer targets like light or medium tanks. In theory HE never bounces as it will do “splash” damage if only a little. That said I have had HE bounce. How I do not know. But it is also useful to reset a Cap because it should do some damage. 
HEAT is your premium round. It has a higher pen than AP usually so tier up heavies and such get HEAT. However premium rounds do less damage than your standard AP.
One interestIng thing about both HE and HEAT is that they do not rely on velocity to penetrate as they are chemical rounds. So for really long range shot APCR may just bounce due to loss of velocity, not so with the aforementioned two types. This applies to HESH as well. Hope this helps. 

Thanks all.

And for those wondering why with my 40k battles I'm asking it now:   I didn't see much difference in damage or effectiveness between HE and HEAT and one costs more than the other.   With the T49 and the T92E...  post nerf,  just seems like they aren't that worthwhile.  When the 49 came out, seemed like a monster. Now.... meh. 

BlitzAssassin #16 Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:02 PM

Kool Aid Drinker

• Players
  • 26812 battles
  • [-INQ-]

View PostPadre_ShadowRider, on 21 July 2020 - 05:46 PM, said:

Thanks all.

And for those wondering why with my 40k battles I'm asking it now:   I didn't see much difference in damage or effectiveness between HE and HEAT and one costs more than the other.   With the T49 and the T92E...  post nerf,  just seems like they aren't that worthwhile.  When the 49 came out, seemed like a monster. Now.... meh. 

The stats will vary for each tank. Look at the numbers and estimate how much you’ll need of each ammo type. If you can effectively pen and use HE in a tank it’ll be very rewarding. If a tank have trash HE pen and low ammo capacity, you may not want to bother running it. It’s all about the tank. You can always adjust your ammo load out. Helps to look at what others carry too. But usually you’ll want to carry all types to account for all situations.  

All always make sure not to spend gold on ammo types, it’s a real sucker...

jahawa #17 Posted 22 July 2020 - 01:36 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 19847 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View PostBoomer625, on 21 July 2020 - 03:49 PM, said:

HE and HEAT can seem to bounce, but actually its because they are absorbed by something, such as the gun, tracks, or if the armor it hits is simply too thick (37 mm HE against manus 250+ sloped armor)

This is why t49 really struggle even on the sides of some tanks with HEAT, as tank sidesusually have a portion of track, spaced armor panels, etc... better to hit the back of the turret or rear

I am going to reacess my use of HEAT on the sides of tanks in my T49. Maybe I need to aim more at the turret. I've had many a HEAT shell absorbed by IS spam at tier 8. A 2-300 HE roll is better than a zero.

Absolute_Sniper #18 Posted 22 July 2020 - 04:21 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 46610 battles
  • [CRU2L]

View Postjahawa, on 22 July 2020 - 01:36 PM, said:

I am going to reacess my use of HEAT on the sides of tanks in my T49. Maybe I need to aim more at the turret. I've had many a HEAT shell absorbed by IS spam at tier 8. A 2-300 HE roll is better than a zero.

You can use heat. You just can’t hit tracks. Tracks act as spaced armor. Spaced armor eats heat. 

I used to have a picture here but tiny pic took an arrow to the knee....

https://discord.gg/twdc4Dq

__V_O_P__ #19 Posted 22 July 2020 - 05:48 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 51092 battles
  • [LAP]

View Postjahawa, on 22 July 2020 - 01:36 PM, said:

if you’re facing the front of a heavy and you can’t change  the angle (distance / situation) shooting the ground underneath with HE will always deliver a few hundred HP damage. 

dport02 #20 Posted 22 July 2020 - 06:04 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 34839 battles
  • [DOOMD]
HEAT is weird, I’ve had it many times where it tracks me and does damage. How does that happen?
RNG is rigged !

Also tagged with HE, Heat

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users