bad teams 40%ers not clickbait

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

bob_000 #1 Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:13 PM

Gold Spamming Ape

• Players
  • 21396 battles
  • [PURPL]

I was playing a couple of games this morning in my KV-3 and was on an awful loss streak. I checked the winrates of my teams and saw 40-50% people on my team. I then check the winrate of my enemy team and saw many 50-60% people on their team. Because of this, I can definitely say that mm is rigged.

I'm kidding. lol. A somewhat misleading title but I thought that I'd share my mentality when it comes to losing streaks or "bad mm". 

You will have teams with good players and you will have teams with bad players. Instead of blaming matchmaking for your loss, you should blame yourself for it. I was playing like an absolute god last night in my KV-3 and today I'm playing like a potato. I'm getting focused, yoloed, tunneled, and screwed over by RNG while also not being able to put in the damage. As a result, I die early and am incapable of contributing to the team. That's my fault for overextending or perhaps going somewhere without support. It's my fault that I died and I assume responsibility for the loss. Every time that I lose, I try to think about what I could've done better. Instead of overextending or making dumb trades, I'll focus on not exposing myself or making such dumb trades. 

A lot of people have this mentality where they blame their losses on their teammates or even go as far to say that matchmaking is rigged simply because they have bad players on their team while the reds have 60-70%ers. 

Blitz is not a team game. You cannot expect to coordinate and have effective teamwork with 6 random people in every game that you play. In other words, only you have the ability to decide the outcome of games. Do not rely on your teammates for anything beyond being meat shields. If you carry and still lose, carry harder. As much as I want to blame my teammates for some losses, I know that I can't because I understand that I could've done something different or done something better. Even in impossible-to-win situations, I try to go for the win. In the case that I lose such impossible situations, I try to think about what I could've done differently to get in more damage or more kills. 

Once you stop focusing on your bad teammates or the "bad mm" and instead focus on yourself, you will become a better player and perhaps even have more fun in games. I absolutely love being in 1v3 or 1v4 situations simply because they force me to play to the best of my ability in order to win. If I'm on a losing streak, I'll either take a break or play better. 

What do you guys think of my mentality? Hopefully some people find this helpful. And for the record, I do not think MM is rigged. MM is fair. 

Edited by bob_000, 30 July 2020 - 10:15 PM.

generalhonks #2 Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:40 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 7351 battles
  • [HOUSE]

View Postbob_000, on 30 July 2020 - 06:13 PM, said:

I was playing a couple of games this morning in my KV-3 and was on an awful loss streak. I checked the winrates of my teams and saw 40-50% people on my team. I then check the winrate of my enemy team and saw many 50-60% people on their team. Because of this, I can definitely say that mm is rigged.

I'm kidding. lol. A somewhat misleading title but I thought that I'd share my mentality when it comes to losing streaks or "bad mm". 

You will have teams with good players and you will have teams with bad players. Instead of blaming matchmaking for your loss, you should blame yourself for it. I was playing like an absolute god last night in my KV-3 and today I'm playing like a potato. I'm getting focused, yoloed, tunneled, and screwed over by RNG while also not being able to put in the damage. As a result, I die early and am incapable of contributing to the team. That's my fault for overextending or perhaps going somewhere without support. It's my fault that I died and I assume responsibility for the loss. Every time that I lose, I try to think about what I could've done better. Instead of overextending or making dumb trades, I'll focus on not exposing myself or making such dumb trades. 

A lot of people have this mentality where they blame their losses on their teammates or even go as far to say that matchmaking is rigged simply because they have bad players on their team while the reds have 60-70%ers. 

Blitz is not a team game. You cannot expect to coordinate and have effective teamwork with 6 random people in every game that you play. In other words, only you have the ability to decide the outcome of games. Do not rely on your teammates for anything beyond being meat shields. If you carry and still lose, carry harder. As much as I want to blame my teammates for some losses, I know that I can't because I understand that I could've done something different or done something better. Even in impossible-to-win situations, I try to go for the win. In the case that I lose such impossible situations, I try to think about what I could've done differently to get in more damage or more kills. 

Once you stop focusing on your bad teammates or the "bad mm" and instead focus on yourself, you will become a better player and perhaps even have more fun in games. I absolutely love being in 1v3 or 1v4 situations simply because they force me to play to the best of my ability in order to win. If I'm on a losing streak, I'll either take a break or play better. 

What do you guys think of my mentality? Hopefully some people find this helpful. And for the record, I do not think MM is rigged. MM is fair. 

MM is not fair. MM is random.

No, I’m not defending German technical superiority, I’m stating the ****ing obvious!

tankist22 #3 Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:42 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 51196 battles
  • [MSTRY]

View Postbob_000, on 30 July 2020 - 02:13 PM, said:

I find this interesting as I saw myself constantly under-performing in higher tiers, in a good part due to thinking how I was covered by my teammates. I do try to cover my teammates and play in some sort of sync which really helps in overcoming reds. That is what unicum platoons do. Now, with this in mind, when I go forward, and my moves get ignored and not recognized... in most cases I get toasted in seconds. Some may be yolo, but not all. Every time I played sort of more solo in STB or Leo 1, I did better than my average. Survival is a big thing. Going back to teammates, I also find that instead of expecting one or more get in sync with you, I may do better if I try to get in sync with them.

bob_000 #4 Posted 31 July 2020 - 01:32 AM

Gold Spamming Ape

• Players
  • 21396 battles
  • [PURPL]

View Postgeneralhonks, on 30 July 2020 - 06:40 PM, said:

MM is not fair. MM is random.

I'm saying is that MM is fair in the sense that you'll get bad teammates and you'll also get good teammates. Of course I'm speaking broadly so obviously some teammates may be worse/better than other teammates. You are correct about the random aspect of MM. 

View Posttankist22, on 30 July 2020 - 06:42 PM, said:

I find this interesting as I saw myself constantly under-performing in higher tiers, in a good part due to thinking how I was covered by my teammates. I do try to cover my teammates and play in some sort of sync which really helps in overcoming reds. That is what unicum platoons do. Now, with this in mind, when I go forward, and my moves get ignored and not recognized... in most cases I get toasted in seconds. Some may be yolo, but not all. Every time I played sort of more solo in STB or Leo 1, I did better than my average. Survival is a big thing. Going back to teammates, I also find that instead of expecting one or more get in sync with you, I may do better if I try to get in sync with them.

I only really work with other teammates if they're good players or absolutely essential for a win. Other than that, I'm playing to do the best that I can on my own. 

_Cletus #5 Posted 31 July 2020 - 01:57 AM

Voodoo Wizard

• Players
  • 30959 battles
  • [III-C]
I try not to blame teams.  I usually blame my wife.  Sometimes my kids.

If a person feels powerless or insignificant in their life, the easiest way to achieve power is to make other people angry; every internet troll has known this since 1993 and every toddler has known it since the dawn of time.

Dado_1968 #6 Posted 31 July 2020 - 02:07 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30250 battles
  • [MOM]
I would be interested in seeing the algorithm.  It seems to try to force a balance to a 50% WR through tier placement and teammate WR.

"I won't go and complain to the chemistry." - Costa

http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1

wrecker1968 #7 Posted 31 July 2020 - 02:07 AM

Head of Security

• Players
  • 53374 battles
  • [HOUSE]
I've tried to accept MM for what it is,  It's just when its evil twin RNG decide so show up, That's when it can get messy.

Schantzy #8 Posted 31 July 2020 - 02:27 AM

TWSS

• Players
  • 19260 battles
  • [802VT]

Well wouldn’t you only have 1/7th of the ability to decide the outcome of the game since there are those 6 other teammates? I know that’s oversimplified but I feel like that gets said fairly often by players and the reality more times than not is you can only do so much if you have a sack of potatoes for teammates.  I also know that I don’t have the necessary skill to carry a bad team.  I think all of your points are spot on and it’s a well thought out post.

bob_000 #9 Posted 31 July 2020 - 03:49 AM

Gold Spamming Ape

• Players
  • 21396 battles
  • [PURPL]

View Post_Cletus, on 30 July 2020 - 09:57 PM, said:

Or the dog. 

View PostDado_1968, on 30 July 2020 - 10:07 PM, said:

I would be interested in seeing the algorithm.  It seems to try to force a balance to a 50% WR through tier placement and teammate WR.

I doubt WG will ever release an explanation of the MM algorithm. 

View PostSchantzy, on 30 July 2020 - 10:27 PM, said:

Well wouldn’t you only have 1/7th of the ability to decide the outcome of the game since there are those 6 other teammates? I know that’s oversimplified but I feel like that gets said fairly often by players and the reality more times than not is you can only do so much if you have a sack of potatoes for teammates.  I also know that I don’t have the necessary skill to carry a bad team.  I think all of your points are spot on and it’s a well thought out post.

Well my mentality is that most of the people on my team are not going to be able to pull their weight, which forces me to overcompensate for that on my part. It is indeed hard to carry and you can only carry so much. That's why active reflection is another part of my mentality. "What could I have done differently?" is a question that I always ask myself. This allows me to improve my own playstyle and perhaps get a successful carry in the future. You can't exactly depend on other teammates to carry you. You gotta carry them. The power to carry is in your hands only. 

Chiefmac #10 Posted 31 July 2020 - 04:58 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 54941 battles
  • [ROTI]

View Postbob_000, on 30 July 2020 - 02:13 PM, said:

Interesting ! :popcorn:

rosgrim #11 Posted 31 July 2020 - 05:02 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 94094 battles
  • [COD]

View Postbob_000, on 30 July 2020 - 10:13 PM, said:

"Blitz is not a team game"

extremely wrong.

True you can't get a coordinated team work with 6 random player but you don't need 6 good players, instead you need 2 or 3 decent players (better if they are good) to work with.

​T8-10 are difficult to win alone. 

Even when you "carry" in reality you did that because you had some other - at the least - decent players. 

What I try to do is to spot the best players (name, clan, even...last option... OP tank) and play with them.

Also I know some 48-49% that are better than their WR (it takes time to turn the 50%) so the key is to keep on mind good players/clans (and I don't mean only the pro or most famous clans).

It means that I try to coordinate my action with those best players of the team.

​You don't need mandatory a platoon to do that.

For me this is a part of "carry": to adapt your play to the team that you get.

When you are lucky to get some good player it will be natural for both, you and him, to act like that.

​I won battles with a couple of 50% and reds packed with pro players as well as with a team of 40% vs 50-60%

Since my high number of battle over all and daily, after 20-25 battles I constantly get the worse teams ever but doing this effort I'm improving month by month my WR (now they are at the least 2 years since I turned the milestone of "not a nub anymore").

Try to improve the WR with my number of battle......it is really difficult....but still I get it and I'm not an unicum: just a decent player trying to use the brain.

Sure I get up and down but in the medium-long term it works.

Edited by rosgrim, 31 July 2020 - 05:04 AM.

IronBehemoth #12 Posted 31 July 2020 - 05:09 AM

Official Society Game Play Publicist.

• Players
  • 11721 battles
  • [-INQ-]

View Postrosgrim, on 31 July 2020 - 05:02 AM, said:

"Blitz is not a team game"

extremely wrong.

True you can't get a coordinated team work with 6 random player but you don't need 6 good players, instead you need 2 or 3 decent players (better if they are good) to work with.

​T8-10 are difficult to win alone. 

Even when you "carry" in reality you did that because you had some other - at the least - decent players. 

What I try to do is to spot the best players (name, clan, even...last option... OP tank) and play with them.

Also I know some 48-49% that are better than their WR (it takes time to turn the 50%) so the key is to keep on mind good players/clans (and I don't mean only the pro or most famous clans).

It means that I try to coordinate my action with those best players of the team.

​You don't need mandatory a platoon to do that.

For me this is a part of "carry": to adapt your play to the team that you get.

When you are lucky to get some good player it will be natural for both, you and him, to act like that.

​I won battles with a couple of 50% and reds packed with pro players as well as with a team of 40% vs 50-60%

Since my high number of battle over all and daily, after 20-25 battles I constantly get the worse teams ever but doing this effort I'm improving month by month my WR (now they are at the least 2 years since I turned the milestone of "not a nub anymore").

Try to improve the WR with my number of battle......it is really difficult....but still I get it and I'm not an unicum: just a decent player trying to use the brain.

Sure I get up and down but in the medium-long term it works.

You aren't going to know what 2-3 players are good. So you assume nobody is and play as if the game rests solely on your shoulders. The only exception to this rule is when you spot a player in a known clan and even then, I'm prepared to ditch them in an instant if the flank is without a doubt going to be lost. (Though, given that they're a skilled player as well, they're usually smart enough to ditch the flank with me) Very rarely, I will sometimes eat a shot so that my teammate can live a little longer, but that's only in situations where I know the game will otherwise be a loss.

Edited by IronBehemoth, 31 July 2020 - 05:10 AM.

tankist22 #13 Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:20 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 51196 battles
  • [MSTRY]

View Post_Cletus, on 30 July 2020 - 05:57 PM, said:

I kick them out when I lose. Lol, just kidding, but they did get used to looking into the fingers of my left hand when they enter our office.

Edited by tankist22, 31 July 2020 - 07:21 AM.

tedg5 #14 Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:14 AM

Tater salad

• Players
  • 56004 battles
  • [AGOGO]
I too was on a bad streak yesterday, 5 straight where my “teams” did all sort of crazy stuff trying to guarantee our loss. Town was a magnet for all, if not then scattering like feral cats was a good idea, etc. Didn’t matter tiers or tanks I used. I broke the streak with a tier 6, 2000+ hp, 5 kill game. In that one I did play off my teammates intent on dying as quickly as possible by eliminating reds too. So, see there was teamwork, they died at the right places to help me win! :playing:

Killer_Bunny_FooFoo #15 Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:43 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 19298 battles
  • [MAJOR]

"Blitz is not a team game."

That may be the reality too often, but should it be? I don't think so.

I find the game much more enjoyable when even one or two of my fellow teammates "get it" and decide to work together. Conversely, it drains much of the fun out of the game when there is no teamwork. And I don't just mean when people decide to do their own thing, trying to do big damage on their own. What's worse is when I get the sense that many players don't even grasp that working together -- spotting for others, focusing fire, flanking the front line, covering while another reloads -- could be part of a winning strategy.

I'm not a great player, but I find that in a platoon with even a comparably mediocre player, we have a pretty good chance of carrying to a victory. The takeaway from that for me is that even two players working together can tilt a game. Imagine if four or five regularly worked together.

bob_000 #16 Posted 01 August 2020 - 02:22 AM

Gold Spamming Ape

• Players
  • 21396 battles
  • [PURPL]

View PostKiller_Bunny_FooFoo, on 31 July 2020 - 03:43 PM, said:

"Blitz is not a team game."

That may be the reality too often, but should it be? I don't think so.

I find the game much more enjoyable when even one or two of my fellow teammates "get it" and decide to work together. Conversely, it drains much of the fun out of the game when there is no teamwork. And I don't just mean when people decide to do their own thing, trying to do big damage on their own. What's worse is when I get the sense that many players don't even grasp that working together -- spotting for others, focusing fire, flanking the front line, covering while another reloads -- could be part of a winning strategy.

I'm not a great player, but I find that in a platoon with even a comparably mediocre player, we have a pretty good chance of carrying to a victory. The takeaway from that for me is that even two players working together can tilt a game. Imagine if four or five regularly worked together.

Blitz is a team game when it comes to tournaments. You have 7-9 people on voice chat with a person acting as a caller. HP sharing and focus firing are essential parts of teamwork during tournies. However, for regular pubbie games, blitz is not a team game. Even if you platoon, there are still 5 random people who may or may not be able to pull their weight. From there, you and your platoon mate have to carry hard. 

Edited by bob_000, 01 August 2020 - 02:22 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users