Suggestions for effective play with Cent. 7/1? :)

HESH British Mediums Centurion 7/1 Cent 7/1 Cent. 7/1 Hull-down HEAT v. HESH L7 Gun Tier 9 mediums #strategytalk

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Suggestions for effective play with Cent. 7/1? :) (8 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 5 battle in order to participate this poll.

How many battles have you played in the Centurion 7/1?

1. 0-50 battles (4 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. 50-100 (1 vote [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. 100-250 (2 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. 250-500 (1 vote [12.50%])

5. 500-1000 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. 1000+ battles (0 votes [0.00%])

How much do you enjoy the Centurion 7/1?

1. It's lovely and epic fun (2 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. It's a pretty fun ride (4 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. I could take it or leave it (1 vote [12.50%])

4. It's one of my last choices to play (0 votes [0.00%])

5. This tank is suffering and death to play (1 vote [12.50%])

Vote Hide poll

Markus_The0 #1 Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:02 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 23580 battles
  • [KRNY_]

Howdy my fellow tankers!! :)

I'm picking up the Centurion 7/1 and I'd love to hear your suggestions for tactics and strategy. I'm not a new player, and I've been using HE ammo since the very beginning of my Blitz adventure, but I see great wisdom in listening to good advice from other players. So hit me with your best suggestions and strategies! I have some of my own ideas about how to run the tank successfully, but I would really love to hear your ideas as well!

Edited by Markus_The0, 10 August 2020 - 11:45 PM.

It's not the RNG, the MM, the diameter of your shell, the thickness of your armor, or the number of premium rounds you carry that counts ultimately; it's the courage in your heart, the calmness in your mind, the hope and faith you have in your team, and the way you use what's at your disposal that truly determines Victory.

AsymptoticComplexity #2 Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:10 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 3410 battles
  • [KR0N0]

Hi, I don't have any battles in the mk. 7/1 (lol) but I've certainly watched plenty of videos to prepare for it (I'm trying to grind up to fv4202 bc of that hesh).

I hope you've saved free xp to save yourself a horrid stock grind though.

As for tips: The turret is pretty good, so Hull Down and Hesh i believe. Playing against it, it doesn't seem too mobile so make sure to have support with you to cover you. I'd probably do either front line medium (when top tier, having hull down cover, and being surrounded by your own team for support). Otherwise, 2nd line medium (still with support of team and preferably hull down). It seems to be super fun with like ~3.5k dpm (I think?) with hesh.

Good luck!

Markus_The0 #3 Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:17 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 23580 battles
  • [KRNY_]

View PostAsymptoticComplexity, on 10 August 2020 - 06:10 PM, said:

Hi, I don't have any battles in the mk. 7/1 (lol) but I've certainly watched plenty of videos to prepare for it (I'm trying to grind up to fv4202 bc of that hesh).

I hope you've saved free xp to save yourself a horrid stock grind though.

As for tips: The turret is pretty good, so Hull Down and Hesh i believe. Playing against it, it doesn't seem too mobile so make sure to have support with you to cover you. I'd probably do either front line medium (when top tier, having hull down cover, and being surrounded by your own team for support). Otherwise, 2nd line medium (still with support of team and preferably hull down). It seems to be super fun with like ~3.5k dpm (I think?) with hesh.

Good luck!

Thanks for your thoughts, Asymptotic! I do have all the free xp saved up, I agree that's really gonna make things more comfortable. Best of luck to you, too, bro! :)

I also have my eyes set on the FV4202, but not primarily because of the HESH. I fell in love with the combination of exceptionally sloped frontal armor + great gun depression on the Crusader, and I realized that the FV4202 also had that combo, plus higher top speed--and I'm really looking forward to running such a unique tank. :) And our DPM with HESH is a lovely 4k!! So much for us to look forward to! :teethhappy:

Edited by Markus_The0, 11 August 2020 - 12:40 AM.

It's not the RNG, the MM, the diameter of your shell, the thickness of your armor, or the number of premium rounds you carry that counts ultimately; it's the courage in your heart, the calmness in your mind, the hope and faith you have in your team, and the way you use what's at your disposal that truly determines Victory.

CHINA_ELITE #4 Posted 11 August 2020 - 01:07 AM

The Batchat Falls "Proud Sheridan Spammer”

• Players
  • 21142 battles
  • [STORM]
Overall, the tank is meh. It works for some and doesn't for others. Armour wise, this thing is a pos. The turret is pretty crappy. Can't really bounce anything reliably if it has over 250 mm of pen, which is every tier 10 tank. Don't expect it to bounce tier 9s and 10s often. The gun works, sometimes. The long reload isn't noticeable at times. The HESH with CS is around 230 mm of pen which is good, but it is an HE shell. Depending on how good your aim is, HESH either works or it does not. And the speed is crap. 

waga100 #5 Posted 11 August 2020 - 05:50 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 5 battles

It has 0 hull armour but the turret is very nice. Obviously don't just sit still at 30m but go back an forth so your mantlet would eat the shot. If you did ok in the cent 1 then you'll be right in the 7/1. Because unlike the cent 1 the 7/1 is actually good. It has the same play style only you have actual alpha damage so you get rewarded for it.

HESH is very good but don't over do it. It does 25% more damage if you pen but, if you'll basically have to pen over 3/4 of your hesh shots for it to do more damage than if you'd just shot APCR every time

I'm from the Asian server but the forum is dead there

Markus_The0 #6 Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:33 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 23580 battles
  • [KRNY_]

View PostCHINA_ELITE, on 10 August 2020 - 08:07 PM, said:

Overall, the tank ismeh. It works for some and doesn't for others. Armour wise, this thing is a pos. The turret is pretty crappy. Can't really bounce anything reliably if it has over 250 mm of pen, which is every tier 10 tank. Don't expect it to bounce tier 9s and 10s often. The gun works, sometimes. The longreload isn't noticeable at times. The HESH with CS is around 230 mm of pen which is good, but it is an HE shell. Depending on how good your aim is, HESH either works or it does not. And the speed is crap. 

I picking up on a minor note of uncertainty about the reliability of the Cent 7/1 from you. I don't know exactly why. I would know for sure why if you had may said "sometimes" maybe one more time. Perhaps. :)

Just kidding!! In all seriousness, though, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts! You have excellent points about the armor; the armor really is not stellar. It's basically the Centurion 1, except at tier 9, equipped with a tier 10 gun. The armor profile's strong suit is the turret, but even that is significantly hampered in it's effectiveness by the fact that a fair portion of the gun mantlet that has no armor behind it (so basically the turret has only 200mm of armor in a decent-size bar across the turret face).

Edited by Markus_The0, 12 August 2020 - 06:36 PM.

Markus_The0 #7 Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:39 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 23580 battles
  • [KRNY_]

View Postwaga100, on 11 August 2020 - 12:50 AM, said:

It has 0 hull armour but the turret is very nice. Obviously don't just sit still at 30m but go back an forth so your mantlet would eat the shot. If you did ok in the cent 1 then you'll be right in the 7/1. Because unlike the cent 1 the 7/1 is actually good. It has the same play style only you have actual alpha damage so you get rewarded for it.

HESH is very good but don't over do it. It does 25% more damage if you pen but, if you'll basically have to pen over 3/4 of your hesh shots for it to do more damage than if you'd just shot APCR every time

Thanks for contributing your thoughts! I do enjoy the Centurion 1 at tier 8 and I've had to practice a lot of not solely relying on the turret to block damage. You're so right that constant movement back and forth is key--and thankfully, both Centurions have excellent gun dispersion values on the move. I didn't think all that much about the difference in alpha, but that's a great point and may make the 7/1 even more fun!

Thanks for the warning about the HESH. I've thought about that before, but your warning prompted me to sit down and actually develop a plan about how and when I would consider using HESH. Thanks! :)

Dirk_The_Dragon_Slayer #8 Posted 12 August 2020 - 03:25 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 33272 battles
  • [F-M-J]

I'm good to average in mine. I like it.

I took it out for a few battles due to this post. My favorite thing is the smooth ride, like water; the hull traverse is super. I have a fondness for British mediums for many of the same reasons. The gun is nice and precise too. The reticule gets nice and tight. I appreciate good pen and aiming over alpha on my tanks though, so this is in that wheelhouse.

As for how to play, it's not a game winner (meds rarely are nowadays). I usually stick with the pack. There's no hull armor, so you can only show the turret.

Edited by Dirk_The_Dragon_Slayer, 12 August 2020 - 03:29 PM.

Hye_yeon_Cho #9 Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:50 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 863 battles
  • [4_EVA]
T-54 is better in every way. [Edit: in my opinion. I felt like that would have brought up a lot of arguments.] Better armor and speed. Gun I'm not sure but the t-54 is better for bullying tier 8s and that's all I play for [edited]
And they say tier 8 is the best... I would disagree.

Edited by Hye_yeon_Cho, 12 August 2020 - 11:51 PM.

Nathanronco #10 Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:57 PM

Unprofessional KV-2 Driver

• Players
  • 17339 battles
  • [1STUS]

View PostHye_yeon_Cho, on 12 August 2020 - 11:50 PM, said:

T-54 is better in every way. [Edit: in my opinion. I felt like that would have brought up a lot of arguments.] Better armor and speed. Gun I'm not sure but the t-54 is better for bullying tier 8s and that's all I play for [edited]
And they say tier 8 is the best... I would disagree.

T-54 loses on gun depression, gun handling, penetration, alpha, and shell velocity. The only aspects where T-54 wins is mobility and turret armor, but when the Centurion 7/1 is using the 10 degrees of gun depression it gets the Centurion has a much more effective turret.

" If you miss shots in your KV-2, it's because you haven't sent enough peasants to Gulag." - Joseph Stalin, 1944 Soviet Russia

Premium Vehicles in Garage: T34, M6A2E1 EXP, Löwe, IS-5, T-34-3, Tiger 131, SU-100Y, TOG II*, Pz. V/IV, T-25, Churchill III

Collector Vehicles in Garage: Gravedigger, Thunder, Pz. Sfl. IVc, Scavenger, Valentine II, Valentine Mark IX, AMX 40, T82, T18

Tier X Vehicles in Garage: Sheridan, M48 Patton, Jagdpanzer E 100, Grille 15, IS-7, FV215b 183, FV4005, Ho-Ri

Hye_yeon_Cho #11 Posted 16 August 2020 - 02:22 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 863 battles
  • [4_EVA]

View PostNathanronco, on 12 August 2020 - 11:57 PM, said:

T-54 loses on gun depression, gun handling, penetration, alpha, and shell velocity. The only aspects where T-54 wins is mobility and turret armor, but when the Centurion 7/1 is using the 10 degrees of gun depression it gets the Centurion has a much more effective turret.

Like I said, in my opinion. T 54s gun is fine. The reload and DPM make up for those things.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users