Please Stop Balancing Tanks Like This

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

MuCeffy #1 Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:20 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 28067 battles
  • [_V_]

Tanks that absolutely dominate in their tier but struggle to do anything when bottom tier. There are a few tanks like this but the “mad” tanks are the perfect example of this type of balancing. The gravedigger has a lot of armor and a great burst with its 57mm auto loader. That lets it sweep through most tier 7s and just laugh at any tier 6s. But as soon as it gets into a tier 8 game, it gets wrecked. The Majority of tier 8s have enough pen and armor to make the grave digger irrelevant. This can also be seen in the tankenstein but the Annihilator is the new king of this dumb way of balancing.

Strait up the Annihilator is broken. In a tier 7 game it makes the smasher look weak. 630 alpha on a 13 second reload, enough armor to bounce pretty much any tier 7, and its quick, boasting a standard 35kmh speed limit than can be boosted to 45 with its super speed boost. I only have 40 games in it so far but I’m holding a 83% win rate and a 2.6k average damage. Solo. At tier 7. That’s insane. And it took me all 40 of those games to just ace it once with 5k and 5 kills. This tank can two “clip” more of the things it’ll meet at its tier and will put a tier 6 on critical health in just one burst. 

But everything changes when it runs into a tier 8 game. Suddenly it’s armor is completely irrelevant, pretty much any gold round from a tier 8 will cleave this things armor and it’s gun gets tomato vision. Even the APCR rounds struggle to pen the front of Russian heavies and the tiger 2 is entirely invincible. Since tier 8 is the start of the dominant heavy meta, pretty much all tier 8s you see are gonna be really hard for an Annihilator to face. 

This is just a horrible way to balance a tank, in my opinion. All it does is hurt the tier it’s in and at this point it’s just setting a fire to the already deceased tier 7. 

Peace and War §

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWjPt3t9YfRELnF49qzMjPQ

~ Fighting This Same Old War ~

MarBearCat #2 Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:23 AM

Pennsylvania's Favorite Cat!

• Players
  • 22553 battles
  • [SDWA]

View PostMuCeffy, on 17 October 2020 - 08:20 PM, said:

Tanks that absolutely dominate in their tier but struggle to do anything when bottom tier. There are a few tanks like this but the “mad” tanks are the perfect example of this type of balancing. The gravedigger has a lot of armor and a great burst with its 57mm auto loader. That lets it sweep through most tier 7s and just laugh at any tier 6s. But as soon as it gets into a tier 8 game, it gets wrecked. The Majority of tier 8s have enough pen and armor to make the grave digger irrelevant. This can also be seen in the tankenstein but the Annihilator is the new king of this dumb way of balancing.

Strait up the Annihilator is broken. In a tier 7 game it makes the smasher look weak. 630 alpha on a 13 second reload, enough armor to bounce pretty much any tier 7, and its quick, boasting a standard 35kmh speed limit than can be boosted to 45 with its super speed boost. I only have 40 games in it so far but I’m holding a 83% win rate and a 2.6k average damage. Solo. At tier 7. That’s insane. And it took me all 40 of those games to just ace it once with 5k and 5 kills. This tank can two “clip” more of the things it’ll meet at its tier and will put a tier 6 on critical health in just one burst. 

But everything changes when it runs into a tier 8 game. Suddenly it’s armor is completely irrelevant, pretty much any gold round from a tier 8 will cleave this things armor and it’s gun gets tomato vision. Even the APCR rounds struggle to pen the front of Russian heavies and the tiger 2 is entirely invincible. Since tier 8 is the start of the dominant heavy meta, pretty much all tier 8s you see are gonna be really hard for an Annihilator to face. 

This is just a horrible way to balance a tank, in my opinion. All it does is hurt the tier it’s in and at this point it’s just setting a fire to the already deceased tier 7. 

No, I would hold probably a 40% win rate in this new tank so if it is OP, I'd do better.

Heavy Is The Cat That's Carried!

Popcann #3 Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:41 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11872 battles
Most tanks in the game are like that, good in there tier, dominate lower tier, and struggle in up tier games. When your bottom tier, just second line and be more aware. 

cheasesteak #4 Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:44 AM

Lackey to the Barons of Entrenched Corporate Greed

• Players
  • 23135 battles
  • [COD-R]
The constant buffing of heavy tank armor and HP is probably the biggest cause of this problem.  

KempBushThe3rd #5 Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:07 AM

How to Git Gud, Step 1: Don't spawn on the wrong team.

• Players
  • 17129 battles
  • [SEAL]
Fully agree with you here. Worst part is that they made the Annihilator a premium and not a collector, so even if they wanted to nerf it they can't. Not that it would've mattered anyway, just look at the Smasher.

LordDumptruck #6 Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:04 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 18639 battles
  • [III-R]
Would we have wanted a tank that could thrash and trash the tier above it? Well, I guess a better way to put it is-wouldn’t it be worse if the annihilator broke the trend and handled tier 8 more harshly than it already does?

TengenToppaPotatoLagann #7 Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:20 AM

ᵐʸ ʰᵉˢʰ ʷᶦᶫᶫ ᵖᶦᵉʳᶜᵉ ᵗʰᵉ ʰᵉᵃᵛᵉᶰˢ﹗

• Players
  • 60166 battles
  • [RNG_Y]

View PostKempBushThe3rd, on 17 October 2020 - 09:07 PM, said:

Fully agree with you here. Worst part is that they made the Annihilator a premium and not a collector, so even if they wanted to nerf it they can't. Not that it would've mattered anyway, just look at the Smasher.

IDK why people still believe this. They can nerf whatever they want, and have nerfed premium tanks before. 

#2 TOG pilot (na) (retired)

View Postminitel_NA, on 13 January 2018 - 03:06 AM, said:

when I’m tired I think I’m good.

_Crusader6_ #8 Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:34 AM

Vote Slime Mold

• Players
  • 69805 battles
  • [BDGER]

View PostKempBushThe3rd, on 17 October 2020 - 09:07 PM, said:

No 

View PostTengenToppaPotatoLagann, on 17 October 2020 - 10:20 PM, said:

IDK why people still believe this. They can nerf whatever they want, and have nerfed premium tanks before. 

Exactly. 
  There is zero difference in a premium, collector, enriched as far as the ability for WG to nerf it goes. 

Tank Hoarder: 422 tanks in Garage:  431/431 Played Tanks Aced

NON LINE OF SIGHT MISSILES ARE AN AWFUL MECHANIC 

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

MarBearCat #9 Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:56 AM

Pennsylvania's Favorite Cat!

• Players
  • 22553 battles
  • [SDWA]

War Gaming nerfed me

:(

Heavy Is The Cat That's Carried!

MuCeffy #10 Posted 18 October 2020 - 04:21 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 28067 battles
  • [_V_]

View PostLordDumptruck, on 17 October 2020 - 10:04 PM, said:

Would we have wanted a tank that could thrash and trash the tier above it? Well, I guess a better way to put it is-wouldn’t it be worse if the annihilator broke the trend and handled tier 8 more harshly than it already does?

No.You can still have a tank that’s not entirely broken in its tier to do well in the tier above it. There are plenty of tanks that can do well in their tier but aren’t as overpowered as the Annihilator yet still hold their own When bottom tier. 

View Post_Crusader6_, on 17 October 2020 - 10:34 PM, said:

Exactly. 
  There is zero difference in a premium, collector, enriched as far as the ability for WG to nerf it goes. 

Wasn’t the entire point of the collector class being introduced so that WG could make tanks that’s be more available to nerfing. Like, that and less credits than a full premium. 

Peace and War §

Meat_Locker #11 Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:28 AM

Large Member

• Players
  • 51869 battles
  • [TOES]

View PostMuCeffy, on 18 October 2020 - 06:21 AM, said:

No.You can still have a tank that’s not entirely broken in its tier to do well in the tier above it. There are plenty of tanks that can do well in their tier but aren’t as overpowered as the Annihilator yet still hold their own When bottom tier. 

Wasn’t the entire point of the collector class being introduced so that WG could make tanks that’s be more available to nerfing. Like, that and less credits than a full premium. 

WG is rarely consistent nor are they coherent and transparent about what they do. It’s like trying to read tea leaves.
They pretty much abandoned the utility of the stupidly named “Collector’s” vehicles from day one. I am of the impression that it was a marketing move that went nowhere or died off out of lack of interest. 

I simply wish for each tier to be balanced and engaging to play. It will only become more difficult to manage as more tanks, especially fantasy tanks, are added to the game. 

Edited by Meat_Locker, 18 October 2020 - 08:44 AM.

4sfield #12 Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:05 PM

Space Lord

• Players
  • 33575 battles
  • [-1]

I put the anihilator on tank compare with a T-34/85 Victory and a 12t. It has a 269 meter spot distance, same as the 12t and way better than the Victory. HTH are you supposed to win against it in either of those tanks if you can’t outspot it? I didn’t look at any others but that is pure [edited]. Besides being nearly clipped with 1 mag, he sees you before you see him or at the exact same time. “Surprise”, “You’re dead”. 

The only other tank I compared to it was the Tiger 1 and everyone knows how that tank is. On paper it’s not as good as the Tiger but a tank with a 3 shell burst at 210 AP per shell and a 13 second reload is not what tier VII needed.  

Snowflakes - 1, Good Guys - 0

FREE _stealy!!!

BAR_001 #13 Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:10 PM

Mechanized com poster

• Players
  • 32522 battles
  • [HAHA]

View PostMuCeffy, on 17 October 2020 - 09:21 PM, said:

How about a list of tier 7 tanks that do well in Tier 8? I aint buyin it. Tier 8 can be brutal in almost any tier 7.

RNG doesn't bother hackers.

generalhonks #14 Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:46 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7744 battles
  • [HOUSE]
Tier 7 tanks aren’t supposed to be as competitive as the Tier 8 tanks. It just how it works. Do you really want the Tiger 1 to do just as well as a Tiger II? Of course not, that would break the game. If every tier tank was just as good as the one above it, there would be no reason for the tier system.

No, I’m not defending German technical superiority, I’m stating the ****ing obvious!

tanker070 #15 Posted 18 October 2020 - 04:02 PM

The Nitwit

• Players
  • 60761 battles

View Post4sfield, on 18 October 2020 - 09:05 AM, said:

I put the anihilator on tank compare with a T-34/85 Victory and a 12t. It has a 269 meter spot distance, same as the 12t and way better than the Victory. HTH are you supposed to win against it in either of those tanks if you can’t outspot it? I didn’t look at any others but that is pure [edited]. Besides being nearly clipped with 1 mag, he sees you before you see him or at the exact same time. “Surprise”, “You’re dead”. 

what makes me upset is not that it was released. but that it was intentionally made like this, plenty of time went into this and Devs didnt think how it would match with tier6-tier8

further ruining tier6 cuz u face gods like when you tryin to grind your way up.  GG
and
to those thinking collectors would be nerfed... Why haven't a single collector been nerfed yet? (excluding the tech tree tanks of the past)

→_→ #tankerTalks

pro tip: Take Deep Breaths Often.

BAR_001 #16 Posted 18 October 2020 - 04:37 PM

Mechanized com poster

• Players
  • 32522 battles
  • [HAHA]

View Posttanker070, on 18 October 2020 - 09:02 AM, said:

what makes me upset is not that it was released. but that it was intentionally made like this, plenty of time went into this and Devs didnt think how it would match with tier6-tier8

further ruining tier6 cuz u face gods like when you tryin to grind your way up.  GG
and
to those thinking collectors would be nerfed... Why haven't a single collector been nerfed yet? (excluding the tech tree tanks of the past)

Playing devils advocate for a minute, they do have to continually make tanks that people want to get. Who wants to pay for a meh tank?

RNG doesn't bother hackers.

AYUWOOWUYA #17 Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:10 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 3628 battles
LOL.  It doesn't struggle at tier 8 dude.  231 APCR pen with calibrated shells doing like 550 burst damage.

Edited by AYUWOOWUYA, 18 October 2020 - 06:15 PM.

Hye_yeon_Cho #18 Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:20 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 954 battles
  • [4_EVA]

So tanks that are OP when top tier, decent when mid tier, and irrelevant when bottom tier. I'll think about it and edit.

MuCeffy #19 Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:06 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 28067 battles
  • [_V_]

I think a lot of you guys are misunderstanding this post, I’m not asking for the tanks to also be god like when bottom tier, I want their strengths and weaknesses tuned so there isn’t such a huge unbalance between their performance when high tier vs bottom tier. Tanks like the grave digger, Annihilator, and tankenstein absolutely dominate when top tier but are pretty much fodder for tier 8s. as I said before, the Annihilator Is more op than a smasher at tier 7 but a smasher is far more viable than it at tier 8. 

There are plenty of tier 7s that aren’t broken at tier 7 but still hold their own at tier 8: T-34-1, type 62, Su152, t-43, Rudy, is2, e25, tiger 1, panther, the tier 7 mutant, t25 at, t29, tiger p, lttb, black prince, comet, max 13 75, leo, etc. For as broken as the Annihilator is, I’d much rather be in a t34-1 or a 62 if I get in a tier 8 game.

Peace and War §

alphablob #20 Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:23 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 40226 battles
  • [MOM]

View PostMuCeffy, on 18 October 2020 - 07:06 PM, said:

I think a lot of you guys are misunderstanding this post, I’m not asking for the tanks to also be god like when bottom tier, I want their strengths and weaknesses tuned so there isn’t such a huge unbalance between their performance when high tier vs bottom tier. Tanks like the grave digger, Annihilator, and tankenstein absolutely dominate when top tier but are pretty much fodder for tier 8s. as I said before, the Annihilator Is more op than a smasher at tier 7 but a smasher is far more viable than it at tier 8. 

There are plenty of tier 7s that aren’t broken at tier 7 but still hold their own at tier 8: T-34-1, type 62, Su152, t-43, Rudy, is2, e25, tiger 1, panther, the tier 7 mutant, t25 at, t29, tiger p, lttb, black prince, comet, max 13 75, leo, etc. For as broken as the Annihilator is, I’d much rather be in a t34-1 or a 62 if I get in a tier 8 game.

Bottom tier tanks matter, my friend! We demand equal outcomes for equal play! The playerbase deserves 100% penetration success and more low rolls!

Camo net is for cowards.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users