My thoughts on events, and my hope for future events

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Doomofnoobs #1 Posted 20 October 2020 - 04:00 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 55870 battles
  • [KRONO]

As someone who plays WOTB too often for too long, I do love these events which adds new flavors to regular battles. However I also start to worry a bit about the negative impact recent events have on the game. Take this event for example. The burning game mode is indeed very fun, more importantly, it makes grinding credit and experience super easy while not affecting your stats. You can get credits and experience from shooting both your enemy and your allies. As a result, I see players shooting each other in spawn all game and much more afks. I'm fine with this since this game mode is purely for fun. But my concern is that it might make the player base quality even worse than it already is. Since new players can grind to higher tiers without even needing to shoot the enemy, let alone learning about weak spots etc.

As we all know after update 5.5, more and more inexperienced players rush to higher tiers without knowing the basic game mechanics. To make grinding to tier 10 even easier, most recent events are based on battle pass system where you pay $5 or $10 to get a ton of credits, boosters and free experience with a tier 7/8 tank. Again, I'm not against these events. What I'm hoping to see are some skill based events where you have to be at a certain level to get the final rewards. Use gold to boost it if you want, but I want to see events that reward good gameplay and encourage newer players to actually learn the game. 

WOTB is a great mobile game which means that most people are casual gamers. But it's also a game with much complexity and nuance which require people to actually pay attention in order to get better and fully enjoy this game. Therefore WG needs people to play long enough to spend more money on this game. It's a hard balance I know. But I do hope that in the future we can see more skill based events which will benefit not only the good players but also the whole player base.

Meat_Locker #2 Posted 20 October 2020 - 06:14 AM

Large Member

• Players
  • 53337 battles
  • [TOES]

Based upon actions, it is evident that WG cares more about generating maximum revenue, according to whatever their targets happen to be, than providing providing guidance for newer players. They also can't be bothered to invest in a rich, compelling, and properly stage-gated path through all the tiers. There is no point in getting worked up about this as it isn't even close to being on their list of priorities. 

Also, it isn't only "a mobile game" as many assert without reflection. There are many ways to play the game and some of them are mobile over 4G or whatever. Most of the top ranking players seem to be on full blown computers. 

We should expect standards and not make excuses for laziness and cynicism. WG could do better but choose to divest from the NA market for strictly financial reasons. They pay us very little attention, which is surprising considering the market potential. 

_Cletus #3 Posted 20 October 2020 - 01:10 PM

[edited] Voodoo [edited] Wizard [edited]

• Players
  • 32696 battles
  • [III-C]

I mean, yes and no.  This game mode, to me, sucks donkey balls.  It's like Blitz with more annoyance thrown in.  Granted, it's great for grinding credits and XP if you need that stuff, and you're not wrong about making it easy for losers to run up tiers.  But, it's already easy.  If a brand new Blitz nub doesn't buy a high tier premium, WG gives them one, so they are gonna be there no matter what.  The days of tiers 9 and 10 being considered "elite" tiers are just as gone as respect and dignity in politics.  

Maybe, since there are no elite tiers anymore, and heavies are so dominant, driving a medium will start to be an "elite" move, since you can't have no skills and be successful in a medium anymore.

If a person feels powerless or insignificant in their life, the easiest way to achieve power is to make other people angry; every internet troll has known this since 1993 and every toddler has known it since the dawn of time.

AntoineDodson #4 Posted 20 October 2020 - 01:24 PM

Twenty Shots One Kill

• Players
  • 33294 battles
  • [-OMG-]
They want people to struggle. A struggling player is more apt to purchase an OP tank when it hits the store.
Hide your kids, hide your wife
And hide your husband
Cuz they’re derpin errbody out here

twirlingtowardsfreedom #5 Posted 20 October 2020 - 03:22 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 35506 battles

View PostDoomofnoobs, on 20 October 2020 - 04:00 AM, said:

. But my concern is that it might make the player base quality even worse than it already is. Since new players can grind to higher tiers without even needing to shoot the enemy, let alone learning about weak spots etc.

Nice post. I agree that this mode, and the others in general, likely hurt the upcoming player base in a noticeable way. But it isn't the only relevant impact: the player gains that WG gets from these are such a positive that I believe it outweighs the pitfalls, especially as I'm not convinced that there's a better average player out there. WG could spend scads of time and money on player education but it seems unlikely that many players would care to use tools like that.

Always up for more skill based events! Even if I can't hit them the pursuit is much more engaging and rewarding.

Edited by twirlingtowardsfreedom, 20 October 2020 - 03:23 PM.

sillanos #6 Posted 20 October 2020 - 04:23 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5057 battles
  • [BRSL]
The fact that we have tier 10 premium proves that wg does not care about the wealth of their community. In wot pc they are very greedy but they never allow someone with 10 battle join tier 10, who have a tier 10 premium tank really worked for it, who got himself to tier 10 deserves it

CommanderSean_2014 #7 Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:24 PM

Yukari Ma Best Waifu

• Players
  • 13371 battles
  • [RUDY]

Cuz wg isba profit-driven company.

Who could have thought?

A   Proud        About Taiwan =>https://www.taiwan.gov.tw/about.php

Taiwanese     Taiwan wasn't, and never would be a part of CHINA

NON-LOS ATGMS ARE A HORRIBLE MECHANIC  

sillanos #8 Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:16 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5057 battles
  • [BRSL]

View PostCommanderSean_2014, on 20 October 2020 - 07:24 PM, said:

Cuz wg isba profit-driven company.

Who could have thought?

Yeah bacause every company makes their games p2w, no exceptions all f2p are p2w 

_Crusader6_ #9 Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:31 PM

Vote Slime Mold

• Players
  • 70535 battles
  • [BDGER]

View Postsillanos, on 20 October 2020 - 11:23 AM, said:

The fact that we have tier 10 premium proves that wg does not care about the wealth of their community. In wot pc they are very greedy but they never allow someone with 10 battle join tier 10, who have a tier 10 premium tank really worked for it, who got himself to tier 10 deserves it

While I think WG did themselves a disservice with adding tier 9/10 premium (premium, enriched, collector) tanks.  
  The fact is we had complaints in fall of 2014 about bad players in tier X on the forum.  

It never took any skill to get to tier X, and it still doesn’t. 
  Yes players can get there faster - but it’s not like it’s watering down anything at this point. 

By and large the ones driving high tier premiums these days are better players as it allows them to afford play in tier 10 easier. 
   Sure one still sees low 40%’er in tier X premiums, but one sees way more low 40%’ers in tech tree tier X’s.  

Tank Hoarder: 424 tanks in Garage:  435/435 Played Tanks Aced

This space for rent until next terrible mechanic ;) 

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

LtRaseiniai #10 Posted 21 October 2020 - 01:11 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 76777 battles
  • [EWENS]

In 2014 all the wallet warriors would buy a Lowe, since that was the highest tiered premium you could get.

If you had a Lowe on your team, you knew you were sunk.

_Crusader6_ #11 Posted 21 October 2020 - 01:50 PM

Vote Slime Mold

• Players
  • 70535 battles
  • [BDGER]

View PostLtRaseiniai, on 21 October 2020 - 08:11 AM, said:

In 2014 all the wallet warriors would buy a Lowe, since that was the highest tiered premium you could get.

If you had a Lowe on your team, you knew you were sunk.

Good Game Red, you win, we have a Löwe...

- Lokeen circa 2014. 

Tank Hoarder: 424 tanks in Garage:  435/435 Played Tanks Aced

This space for rent until next terrible mechanic ;) 

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

Destroy0 #12 Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:20 PM

Currently Unavailable

• Players
  • 23646 battles
  • [FRS17]
My only real gripe with this event is that you can't really get anything substantially good out of it without paying. Kinda sucks the point out of grinding when you know you still have to drop money on it no matter what.

Edited by Destroy0, 21 October 2020 - 07:20 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users