Something needs to be done about broken HitSkins while Facehugging.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Ragnarok_Stravius #1 Posted 22 November 2020 - 03:25 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 13927 battles
  • [ALTF4]

This just happened to me, I was using a T25/2 with the Top Gun (T15E2 90mm AT Gun) but Not using the Calibrated Shells.

How did this shell not penetrate this damn JPanther I?

What the hell happened?

https://i.redd.it/dhfazlyknp061.png

Edited by Ragnarok_Stravius, 22 November 2020 - 03:28 AM.

"Remove the Smasher! I had enough of that ****!"

If I'm the top player in a lost match, that's scientific proof my team is the worst of all, if I'm top player in a victory, that's just luck.

Ragnarok_Stravius #2 Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:00 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 13927 battles
  • [ALTF4]

I'll also share this older screenshot:

https://i.redd.it/9fhievf3cgn51.png

This one happened while I was using a Lowe (without Calibrated shells), the tank in front was an Action X, what happened was that I shot the top of his turret, in the place with the 3 squares next to the spotlight.

None of the shots went through.

If I'm the top player in a lost match, that's scientific proof my team is the worst of all, if I'm top player in a victory, that's just luck.

j_rod #3 Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:07 AM

Not a moderator, but Better Looking Than Cletus

• Players
  • 28050 battles
  • [III-R]

Did you save the replay? Upload it to WOTinspector.com.

As for hitskins - IIRC, no red simply means it has at least an 80% chance of penning. It doesn’t guarantee 100%.

Edit - it means at least 50% chance of pen. http://forum.wotblitz.com/index.php?/topic/102886-so-you-bounce-here-may-be-why/

Edited by j_rod, 22 November 2020 - 04:10 AM.

Working as intended

It was never fair... but it was fun! - Krietenstein34 

THERebrth #4 Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:29 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9960 battles
  • [CLEAR]

hey dude, rng is rng, but it happens much much much less ever since pen was changed to +5/-5 instead of 15+/-15. But its still there and you just got unlucky id say. but then again it is kinda weird looking at your screen shots. 

Edited by THERebrth, 22 November 2020 - 04:31 AM.

Raging Dumbo

Ragnarok_Stravius #5 Posted 22 November 2020 - 06:22 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 13927 battles
  • [ALTF4]

View Postj_rod, on 22 November 2020 - 01:07 AM, said:

Did you save the replay? Upload it to WOTinspector.com.

As for hitskins - IIRC, no red simply means it has at least an 80% chance of penning. It doesn’t guarantee 100%.

Edit - it means at least 50% chance of pen. http://forum.wotblitz.com/index.php?/topic/102886-so-you-bounce-here-may-be-why/

Then WG needs to make HitSkin stop lying for the 10% of times it lies.

waga100 #6 Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:48 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5 battles
It really applies to some tanks as well. I've noticed with Lowe's and obj 262's especially you facehug them, the hull is completely pennable on the hitskin and the shot will bounce every single time. 

I'm from the Asian server but the forum is dead there

otirruborez #7 Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:51 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1912 battles
so we want a light red hitskin when the chance to pen is 99%? entire tanks will be different shades of red. you won the lottery and bounced. i think that's worth not having entire tanks being red.

Edited by otirruborez, 22 November 2020 - 09:52 AM.

acrisis #8 Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:09 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 21314 battles
  • [III-C]

In those cases, try something different. Don’t do the same thing three times and die. Don’t solely rely on hitskins. Change the angles. Go for weaker areas. Find the drivers hatch. Go for the sides. Try to find perpendicular areas, versus highly sloped ones. 

A vehicle like a Jagdpanther can be positioned as such that all shots will auto-bounce. 

I had that just the other day, facing a 65% player who sat in a depression on top of a hill. I didn’t even know one could get up there. I could not pen him with anything ... 

Try armor inspector, for these cases where you struggle with certain enemy tanks. 

There is also online documentation that may help ... ( value of some numbers may go up or down, but principles and mechanics remain ) 

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

[ NEW > ]  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified usingPingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii
Blitz University | Basic Training  |  Mentor  |  The Pingplotter Guy

dport02 #9 Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:17 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 34106 battles
  • [-FE4R]
It appears your on a slope, so it negates the distance, as his armor is still at an angle. But I do not think it would compensate enough for you to bounce That is odd it still bounced
RNG is rigged !

dport02 #10 Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:18 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 34106 battles
  • [-FE4R]
It appears your on a slope, so it negates the distance, as his armor is still at an angle. But I do not think it would compensate enough that it would bounce
RNG is rigged !

_Crusader6_ #11 Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:30 PM

Vote Slime Mold

• Players
  • 70713 battles
  • [BDGER]

If you look at that shot in Amor Inspector the armor there is over 225mm effective. 

Hitskins are never 100% accurate due to the fact they don’t always keep up with both tanks movements in real-time. 

Tank Hoarder: 424 tanks in Garage:  435/435 Played Tanks Aced

This space for rent until next terrible mechanic ;) 

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

Mako__Reizei___ #12 Posted 22 November 2020 - 01:21 PM

Sleepyhead

• Players
  • 8391 battles
  • [ALIAS]
I did notice that the hitskins have been more troll when WG made the color transistion from between pennable to non-pennable a lot "darker". By that I mean that back then, with lighter angles the red hitskin would display a very slight tinge of red and to be able to get to dark red would take more angle before than now. So I suggest that if you bounce once, try using gold, aim for weak spots and if you can't, use HE on thinner armor that you can't pen (roof, armor deck, etc).

Edited by Mako__Reizei___, 22 November 2020 - 01:22 PM.

Must. Have. 60%. Winrate. Under. 0.5%. Platoon. Rate!!! (30 day)

Maus addict, might play alt account more just to play Maus... (Nano_Virus)

Valkyrie04 #13 Posted 22 November 2020 - 02:37 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4352 battles
  • [FL-LT]
Sniper mode view angle loses alignment with your gun's angle at short distances. Has happened a lot to me while facehugging certain tanks like the IS-7 or similars.

j_rod #14 Posted 22 November 2020 - 05:41 PM

Not a moderator, but Better Looking Than Cletus

• Players
  • 28050 battles
  • [III-R]

View PostRagnarok_Stravius, on 22 November 2020 - 12:22 AM, said:

Then WG needs to make HitSkin stop lying for the 10% of times it lies.

How is it lying if it’s been stated? We all have bad runs with RNG.

Working as intended

It was never fair... but it was fun! - Krietenstein34 

Ragnarok_Stravius #15 Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:34 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 13927 battles
  • [ALTF4]

View Postwaga100, on 22 November 2020 - 05:48 AM, said:

It really applies to some tanks as well. I've noticed with Lowe's and obj 262's especially you facehug them, the hull is completely pennable on the hitskin and the shot will bounce every single time. 

When I was playing the IS-3 (quite a fast grind for the IS above it, too), I got into facehug with a Lowe too, kept shooting at the plate in front of the Lowe's transmission, and no shots went through.

That's needs to be fixed somehow.

Ragnarok_Stravius #16 Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:37 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 13927 battles
  • [ALTF4]

View PostValkyrie04, on 22 November 2020 - 11:37 AM, said:

Sniper mode view angle loses alignment with your gun's angle at short distances. Has happened a lot to me while facehugging certain tanks like the IS-7 or similars.

How is that possible?

I know WoTB isn't supposed to be Realistic, but that's just wrong, all guns (either handheld or in a Tank) always have their sights aligned with them.

I once thought "Maybe we are so close the sniper camera is inside the hitskin", like clipping into it, but from everything people have told me, the Hitskin lies just as much as it's Creators.

Chiefmac #17 Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:07 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 55347 battles
  • [ROTI]

View Post_Crusader6_, on 22 November 2020 - 04:30 AM, said:

If you look at that shot in Amor Inspector the armor there is over 225mm effective. 

Hitskins are never 100% accurate due to the fact they don’t always keep up with both tanks movements in real-time. 

Colored Hitskins? What are these hitskins you speak of ? 

acrisis #18 Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:13 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 21314 battles
  • [III-C]

View PostRagnarok_Stravius, on 22 November 2020 - 03:34 PM, said:

When I was playing the IS-3 (quite a fast grind for the IS above it, too), I got into facehug with a Lowe too, kept shooting at the plate in front of the Lowe's transmission, and no shots went through.

That's needs to be fixed somehow.

View PostRagnarok_Stravius, on 22 November 2020 - 03:37 PM, said:

How is that possible?

I know WoTB isn't supposed to be Realistic, but that's just wrong, all guns (either handheld or in a Tank) always have their sights aligned with them.

I once thought "Maybe we are so close the sniper camera is inside the hitskin", like clipping into it, but from everything people have told me, the Hitskin lies just as much as it's Creators.

I would ease off on the accusations. 

Hitskins are just a quick visual aid, not a guarantee.

They don't factor in additional angling, whether something may auto-bounce or ricochet, whether the enemy tanks are up-armored further, at what range you are shooting, whether spaced armor will eat the shell, ... 

And, every shot's dispersion and penetration value are subject to RNG up or down.

For better aim and damage shots, one has to educate themselves and not rely on hitskins. 

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

[ NEW > ]  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified usingPingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii
Blitz University | Basic Training  |  Mentor  |  The Pingplotter Guy

Bellatormonk #19 Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:36 PM

Tinfoil Knight

• Players
  • 33513 battles
  • [D2TH]

View PostRagnarok_Stravius, on 22 November 2020 - 03:25 AM, said:

This just happened to me, I was using a T25/2 with the Top Gun (T15E2 90mm AT Gun) but Not using the Calibrated Shells.

How did this shell not penetrate this damn JPanther I?

What the hell happened?

https://i.redd.it/dhfazlyknp061.png

Pretty sure RNG simply said "you lose buddy".  You can't beat RNG, RNG beats you.  Say that mantra 5x on a match like that, your blood pressure will go down a few points and the desire to have a "strongly worded physical conversation" with a Dev..will decrease for the next few matches at least.

Gojira1150 #20 Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:39 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 1957 battles
  • [GRAMS]

View Postacrisis, on 22 November 2020 - 03:13 PM, said:

I would ease off on the accusations. 

Hitskins are just a quick visual aid, not a guarantee.

They don't factor in additional angling, whether something may auto-bounce or ricochet, whether the enemy tanks are up-armored further, at what range you are shooting, whether spaced armor will eat the shell, ... 

And, every shot's dispersion and penetration value are subject to RNG up or down.

For better aim and damage shots, one has to educate themselves and not rely on hitskins. 

^^^
I personally use my general knowledge of common tank weak spots coupled with the hitskins when I play. The hitskins are unreliable, but they can somewhat help with quick judgement of where to send your shell flying. I only really bounce shells now when I pull off a snap shot that is more intended to have the possibility of hitting somewhere and/or discouraging pursuit of me when I am trying to flee, or I bounce shells off an enemy when their are no targets that I can pen more easily around and the enemy is unlikely to move to where I can actually attempt to ping them. Much of my knowledge of common tank weak spots cam from playing Tier V, so I recommend you play there for a bit in order to figure out where to shoot the enemy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users