Renaming Replays - Problem?

replays

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Die_Fighting_Blitz #1 Posted 26 November 2020 - 06:41 PM

Private

• Players
  • 3025 battles

I copied a wotbreplay file to a folder for safekeeping, and then renamed the file to remind me of why I saved it. Now the file will not play. I've copied other wotbreplay files to the same folder, did NOT rename those, and they play just fine from that location. Only the two which I had renamed refuse to play.

Questions:

Is renaming these files the reason they won't play or is there something else going on?

If renaming is the issue, is there a way to open a file to determine the original name and rename it back so that it will play?

I'm unable to attach the file because it's over 500 KB.

Thanks for any help.

BorisBaddenov #2 Posted 26 November 2020 - 07:38 PM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 27070 battles

View PostDie_Fighting_Blitz, on 26 November 2020 - 11:41 AM, said:

I copied a wotbreplay file to a folder for safekeeping, and then renamed the file to remind me of why I saved it. Now the file will not play. I've copied other wotbreplay files to the same folder, did NOT rename those, and they play just fine from that location. Only the two which I had renamed refuse to play.

Questions:

Is renaming these files the reason they won't play or is there something else going on?

If renaming is the issue, is there a way to open a file to determine the original name and rename it back so that it will play?

Thanks for any help.  

Replays are specific to the game version in which they were played. My current game version is 7.4.1. So replays from 7.4 will not play.

Could that be it? 

Peace-

Boris 

I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.

Meat_Locker #3 Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:15 PM

Large Member

• Players
  • 53836 battles
  • [TOES]

Boris states what is likely the case. WG broke backwards compatibility and aren't interested in fixing it in any timely manner. 

It is likely not the naming convention you've used.

I lost a Borsig Raisin due to this. 

Edited by Meat_Locker, 26 November 2020 - 08:16 PM.

KempBushThe3rd #4 Posted 26 November 2020 - 09:18 PM

How to Git Gud, Step 1: Don't spawn on the wrong team.

• Players
  • 18077 battles
  • [SEAL]
Well the replay file consists, of the date, time, player username, tank, and a 16 digit code. I tried modifying the date, time, and username, and not only did the replay run fine, but the date and time did not change, so the replay file name has no effect on how it runs in-game. What Boris said is most likely the case.

Edited by KempBushThe3rd, 26 November 2020 - 09:19 PM.

Die_Fighting_Blitz #5 Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:07 AM

Private

• Players
  • 3025 battles

I found that if I rename the wotbreplay extension to zip, I can open the file and see a json within that tells me the version. Indeed the two saves I renamed were 7.3.0 and I'm in 7.4.0.

Thanks for the replies.

minitel_NA #6 Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:12 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

View PostDie_Fighting_Blitz, on 26 November 2020 - 06:41 PM, said:

Questions:

Thanks for any help.

send it to wotinspector.com. 

you can name it anything you want, and the player will replay any version of file. Visual quality isn’t as in game, and does not have  the “heroic view” or first person,  but it’s watchable and useful  analyze or explain things. Especially useful to understand a game from a team point of view and explain spotting and shots, etc...

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

minitel_NA #7 Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:14 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

View PostKempBushThe3rd, on 26 November 2020 - 09:18 PM, said:

Well the replay file consists, of the date, time, player username, tank, and a 16 digit code. I tried modifying the date, time, and username, and not only did the replay run fine, but the date and time did not change, so the replay file name has no effect on how it runs in-game. What Boris said is most likely the case.

there is a metadata that is for quick reference, but inside the replay the original data remains intact. A few people have tried to cheat HOF submission by changing things in the replay header, it doesn’t work that way fortunately. 

Edited by minitel_NA, 27 November 2020 - 12:15 AM.

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

Also tagged with replays

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users