What Pen should you have as a Heavy?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

BillyNair #1 Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:29 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 12690 battles
  • [MOD3]

As a Light, your roll isnt so much to slug it out, so your pen isnt really much of a concern when deciding on a tank, but, as a Heavy, you usually need to go face to face with an OP armored tank since you cant get around to flank him often. Is there a general rule of thumb when deciding on your next tank to get as far as Pen goes?

For me, the faster reload is way Way WAY more important than Max damage (I will take a BP over a Smasher all day every day! And I will only us the AT7 with the baby gun and play the support roll) So, when I go to get a Heavy, and trying to decide between a few, I look at ROF long before DPM. But, I still am not sure what "Penetration" I should be looking for. Is there a general rule like 30mm per Tier, so at Tier 7 you have 210mm or whatever? I have been wondering this for a while, but now that I have grinded about all I care to under 8s, and looking at going up to get more 8-10s, I am seeing that Pen plays a lot more into choosing a tank than it did before.

And, how much consideration should I put into the AP vs APCR? Like, as a Heavy, is there a minimum pen that my AP needs to be before the reliance on Prammo is just too restrictive to the point where I will be spending too much to stay stay in the game?

generalhonks #2 Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:39 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8805 battles
  • [HOUSE]

As much pen as you can get I guess. I don’t play heavies that much so my opinions don’t really matter that much.

No, I’m not defending German technical superiority, I’m stating the ****ing obvious!

One day, the goose will rule the world!!

__Frostbite #3 Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:51 PM

Cold as Ice

• Players
  • 31686 battles
  • [_V2_]

There is no general rule of thumb for penetration in a class, but there is a very blurry line for what is acceptable and what is not for certain tiers.

This is just gonna be a list of what pen is going to be needed to go through heavies frontally at each tier:

At Tier 10, you can pen nearly everything frontally with 330mm of HEAT or 320mm of APCR. If that means running Calibrated Shells to get that pen, that's usually worth it for most players. As for standard shells, 260mm of AP pen is pretty good for taking care of lower plates and any other weak spots frontally.
At Tier 9, its helpful to have 330/320 pen to pen Tier 10's, but that's going to be overkill for Tier 8's. You can make do with 300mm HEAT/290 APCR pen. AP should be around 240mm.
At Tier 8, I would recommend having at least 250mm of HEAT or 240mm of APCR. Tier 8 heavies are surprisingly strong now. 220mm of AP pen is plenty, anything above 200mm will work.

I don't play enough Tier 5-7 to really know what pen is required, but I'll give it my best shot. Basically the lower tier's prammo should be roughly equal to the higher tier's standard.

Tier 7: Basically take the AP from Tier 8 and apply that to Tier 7 prammo. Most tanks at this tier don't have HEAT, so 200mm of APCR will do and 220mm of APCR is good. 170mm of AP pen is fine.
Tier 6: 170mm of APCR, 130mm of AP.
Tier 5: 130mm of APCR, 100mm of AP.

To be honest, I don't really look at penetration all that much. Credits have never been and never will be a reason for me to not spam prammo when needed. My mentality is that I do whatever I need to do to give me the best chances at winning. 99% of the time, I start by firing standard shells and I judge each shot case-by-case to see what shell makes the most sense. I usually will make a reasonable effort to pen with standard shells because more damage, but if I have to take unreasonable shots to pen with standard, it's time to load the gold. If I still can't pen, I either switch to HE (rarely) or find a new target/relocate. Occasionally, I'll still relocate or pick a different target even if I can pen a tank with gold that's in front of me, because sometimes its more important to take out a certain tank that is more dangerous to my team rather than just taking every damage opportunity that I have.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join WoT Blitz's official English Discord server!!

PM me in-game, on the forums, or on Discord (Frostbite#7267) if you have any questions about WoT Blitz

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THERebrth #4 Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:56 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 11689 battles
  • [CLEAR]
Pen is important, but different tanks are suited for different situations, and your job as the driver is to put yourself in positions where you can be useful. Its not a question of "how much pen i should have", its "how do I play this tank in particular". If you know how to play different tanks, pen is only a very tiny issue since what you lack in pen is going to be made up in different other stats.

Raging Dumbo

LordDumptruck #5 Posted 26 November 2020 - 09:11 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 20445 battles
  • [III-C]

The 2 ways I try it are:

On German and Japanese lines, or tanks whose guns generally havehigh pen stats, I start with gun rammer and then if I feel like I’m having trouble with dealing more damage than I’m taking, I shift to calibrated shells

On lines where either word on the street is that pen isn’t as good or I don’t know how the pen is going to fare, I start with calibrated shells and then shift to gun rammer if I have an easy time penning heavies in one on ones and frontal pushes

Generally I prefer to have a faster reload on my heavies than calibrated shells: it’s not for 100% of my tanks, but in the late game when I’m down to one on one fighting I have bounced a lot of standard ammo rounds off my opponents even with calibrated rounds when at close range, and if I switch to prammo for a sure pen I may need that faster reload to out dpm my opponent. 

Except for tier ten-heavies with APCR/HEAT ammo/prammo rounds benefit a lot from that calibrated shell boost. 

j_rod #6 Posted 26 November 2020 - 09:25 PM

Not a moderator, but Better Looking Than Cletus

• Players
  • 28645 battles
  • [III-R]
The key is to look at all the attributes of the tank you’re playing and then to play in a manner that maximizes the strengths and minimizes the weaknesses. If you have lower pen, but better gun handling, aim for the weak spots or get on the sides or rear of reds if you’re mobile. If you have high pen and alpha but slow reload, make sure you don’t get caught where you can get rushed.

Every tank has strengths and every tank has weaknesses. You win by using the strengths and mitigating the weaknesses.

Working as intended

It was never fair... but it was fun! - Krietenstein34 

Mako__Reizei___ #7 Posted 26 November 2020 - 10:39 PM

Sleepyhead

• Players
  • 8756 battles
  • [ALIAS]
I'd personally go with Calibrated Shells. DPM is irrelevant if you can't penetrate your shots and you need to sometimes finish off a heavily armored target. The DPM boost that Gun Rammer gives in today's meta doesn't really cut it for me, 7% boost seems so measly when you can consistently pump out that damage with CS. And CS is kind of a staple imo since you'll definitely want to be able to pen your shots when you need to trade and seeing that mediums often have HEAT for gold rounds CS makes an even bigger difference. 

Must. Have. 60%. Winrate. Under. 0.5%. Platoon. Rate!!! (30 day)

Maus addict, might play alt account more just to play Maus... (Nano_Virus)

Morphman_ #8 Posted 27 November 2020 - 02:44 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 37180 battles
  • [WEAK]
Taking a BP over the Smasher is the most hilarious thing I have heard today. In a 1v1 situation the Smasher wins without question. The Smasher is the most beautiful vehicle out there. Cease your heresy.

#1 Hated Target of the Censorship Bureau

They hate my good hygiene

And despise the vocal stylings of David Lee Roth

Morphman_ #9 Posted 27 November 2020 - 02:45 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 37180 battles
  • [WEAK]

View PostMako__Reizei___, on 26 November 2020 - 04:39 PM, said:

I'd personally go with Calibrated Shells. DPM is irrelevant if you can't penetrate your shots and you need to sometimes finish off a heavily armored target. The DPM boost that Gun Rammer gives in today's meta doesn't really cut it for me, 7% boost seems so measly when you can consistently pump out that damage with CS. And CS is kind of a staple imo since you'll definitely want to be able to pen your shots when you need to trade and seeing that mediums often have HEAT for gold rounds CS makes an even bigger difference. 

Have you heard of aiming? 

Ronin_23 #10 Posted 27 November 2020 - 03:04 AM

Bot

• Players
  • 27588 battles
  • [TENET]
If enemy tanks are too red, too often, you need more pen. 

Please correct my comma splices.

LordDumptruck #11 Posted 27 November 2020 - 03:26 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 20445 battles
  • [III-C]

View PostAnathsHairy3rdLeg, on 27 November 2020 - 02:45 AM, said:

Have you heard of aiming? 

That’s all you have to contribute? Aiming has its limits if your penetration doesn’t give you more options. 

Morphman_ #12 Posted 27 November 2020 - 03:34 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 37180 battles
  • [WEAK]

View PostLordDumptruck, on 26 November 2020 - 09:26 PM, said:

That’s all you have to contribute? Aiming has its limits if your penetration doesn’t give you more options. 

Have you heard of weak points?

TheMainframe #13 Posted 27 November 2020 - 03:45 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 10553 battles
  • [ENDDZ]

View PostAnathsHairy3rdLeg, on 26 November 2020 - 09:34 PM, said:

Some guns have such bad pen that "weak spots" for the average tank will still be red. These tanks will need CS to offset the lack.

You might as well just say "git gud" lol

I love the ones that need it most.

LordDumptruck #14 Posted 27 November 2020 - 03:46 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 20445 battles
  • [III-C]

View PostAnathsHairy3rdLeg, on 27 November 2020 - 03:34 AM, said:

News to me, here I’ve thought all tanks are impenetrable and this game just didn’t make any sense. 

Mako__Reizei___ #15 Posted 28 November 2020 - 12:02 AM

Sleepyhead

• Players
  • 8756 battles
  • [ALIAS]
I think we have Morphman 2.0

Must. Have. 60%. Winrate. Under. 0.5%. Platoon. Rate!!! (30 day)

Maus addict, might play alt account more just to play Maus... (Nano_Virus)

j_rod #16 Posted 28 November 2020 - 12:06 AM

Not a moderator, but Better Looking Than Cletus

• Players
  • 28645 battles
  • [III-R]

View PostMako__Reizei___, on 27 November 2020 - 06:02 PM, said:

I think we have Morphman 2.0

Or the Artist Formerly Known as Morphman

Working as intended

It was never fair... but it was fun! - Krietenstein34 

LordDumptruck #17 Posted 28 November 2020 - 01:08 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 20445 battles
  • [III-C]
I mean to be fair, aiming AT weak points is something I should incorporate into my game. 

_BobaFett #18 Posted 28 November 2020 - 01:09 AM

Bounty Hunter

• Players
  • 17780 battles

View PostLordDumptruck, on 27 November 2020 - 08:08 PM, said:

I mean to be fair, aiming AT weak points is something I should incorporate into my game. 

Wait, you can aim in this game??? 

Pfft, I don't believe you. Next you're gonna tell me you can drive in this game too. *defiant shrug*

Edited by Nathanronco, 28 November 2020 - 01:10 AM.

Formerly known as "Nathanronco".

Last battle: 30 ago

Retired from Blitz, just hang around the forums these days.

LordDumptruck #19 Posted 28 November 2020 - 01:11 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 20445 battles
  • [III-C]

View PostNathanronco, on 28 November 2020 - 01:09 AM, said:

Wait, you can aim in this game??? 

Pfft, I don't believe you. Next you're gonna tell me you can drive in this game too. *defiant shrug*

*smirk

ever heard of STEERING?

_BobaFett #20 Posted 28 November 2020 - 01:19 AM

Bounty Hunter

• Players
  • 17780 battles

View PostLordDumptruck, on 27 November 2020 - 08:11 PM, said:

*smirk

ever heard of STEERING?

Formerly known as "Nathanronco".

Last battle: 30 ago

Retired from Blitz, just hang around the forums these days.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users