why can i not use higher graphics settings

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

_Tigerstrike #1 Posted 06 December 2020 - 05:34 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 19476 battles
  • [SHIR0]
Ive recently inherited a mac with a 2.6 ghz i5 and 8 gigs of ram. I started to play wot on it and i noticed I had to turn all of the graphics settings to low or medium to not get stutters when zoomed in or when effects are happening. The phone that I used to play on is my iphone 11, on which I could run wot on max settings. I would think that the mac has significantly better specs than a phone, so why can it not run a mobile game at max graphics?

acrisis #2 Posted 06 December 2020 - 05:38 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 21331 battles
  • [III-S]

Depending on the model, it may not have that much graphics power ... relative to a lot of 3D pixels it has to push onto the high resolution screen. 

Some settings are more important than others, and there may be settings to find a happy medium.

Which model number is it? 

PS:

Are you asking about WOTB or WOT?

As I just realized you said WOT, which is an whole order of magnitude heavier and resource intensive ... and not optimized for the mac. 

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

[ NEW > ]  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified usingPingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii
Blitz University | Basic Training  |  Mentor  |  The Pingplotter Guy

_Tigerstrike #3 Posted 06 December 2020 - 06:59 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 19476 battles
  • [SHIR0]

I'm talking about wot blitz, the mobile game that is on steam. I am not sure how to find the model number, but the "about this mac" tab shows: "macbook pro, retina, 13 inch, mid 2014". also, I forgot to say above the gpu is an intel iris 1536 mb.

Edit: I'd send a screenshot of my settings but I just got kicked out of the game in a 2v3 on 3.2k damage and now it says I can't connect to the server :/

Edited by tiger_strike_23, 06 December 2020 - 07:03 PM.

pilotharrison #4 Posted 06 December 2020 - 08:32 PM

Nub-in-Chief

• Players
  • 11411 battles

View Posttiger_strike_23, on 06 December 2020 - 01:59 PM, said:

I'm talking about wot blitz, the mobile game that is on steam. I am not sure how to find the model number, but the "about this mac" tab shows: "macbook pro, retina, 13 inch, mid 2014". also, I forgot to say above the gpu is an intel iris 1536 mb.

Edit: I'd send a screenshot of my settings but I just got kicked out of the game in a 2v3 on 3.2k damage and now it says I can't connect to the server :/

The server crashed earlier on. 

Also, your MacBook is from 2014, which in the technology world is quite outdated, especially if you are using it for resource-intensive applications. A quick comparison of the i5-4287U and the A13 Bionic chip in the iPhone 11 shows the iPhone massively beating the MacBook. 

CPU: https://browser.geek...aseline=5187730

GPU: https://browser.geek...seline=1998867 

Also I own a 2015 13-inch MacBook Pro. It by no means is a strong machine for gaming purposes, and the Iris GPUs are not very powerful for gaming.  I could go on for hours on this stuff, but I'll save you from it since this is a gaming forum. 

The tl;dr is that technology paces fast, and the 1-year-old iPhone is more powerful than the MacBook from over half a decade ago. 

Edited by pilotharrison, 06 December 2020 - 08:33 PM.

Nub-In-Chief, proud dirty seal clubber

Aced tanks: T34, KV-3, Type 58, T14, Churchill III, Excelsior, Pz. II L "Luchs", FCM36Pak40, BT-SV (x2), Ke-Ni (x2), Pz. II G (x8), Pz. II J (x4)

Morphman_ #5 Posted 06 December 2020 - 08:43 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 37239 battles
  • [WEAK]
Because computer go clickity clack and collect the dust in the crack.

#1 Hated Target of the Censorship Bureau

They hate my good hygiene

And despise the vocal stylings of David Lee Roth

_Tigerstrike #6 Posted 06 December 2020 - 09:04 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 19476 battles
  • [SHIR0]
ok so basically it's because I have an old i5 then. I was thinking any i5 would be infinitely better than my phone, especially since my school laptop with a 1.1 ghz intel pentium silver and integrated graphics could run war thunder on low graphics(not ultra low), and ran blitz on max graphics no issues. 

acrisis #7 Posted 06 December 2020 - 09:43 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 21331 battles
  • [III-S]

Perhaps try a lower screen resolution in OSX Preferences and then play with the graphics settings in WOTB. 

Also, the Intel chip shares the memory from main system memory. 

So close all apps, restart, then give the game a go ... as then the system should have plenty of RAM open. 

But, yes, tech moves fast and smartphones and tablets are no slouches these days with quad core, hexa core and octo core cpus. 

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

[ NEW > ]  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified usingPingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii
Blitz University | Basic Training  |  Mentor  |  The Pingplotter Guy

_Tigerstrike #8 Posted 06 December 2020 - 09:54 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 19476 battles
  • [SHIR0]
Ok thank you very much

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users