• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

_Baroness #1 Posted 17 December 2020 - 02:01 PM

Left the forums

• Players
  • 17887 battles
  • [NHP]

Hello Forums

I'm currently grinding my way up to the STB-1.  Currently working on STA-1 and recently purchased the Type 61.

However, I am struggling with my role specifically in tiers 8 -10 running a medium.  With all the fancy light tanks running circles around me, they can spot better, relocate easier, and seem to do better overall.  I've played some of these light tanks and feel I can impact the battle much more than when I'm in a medium.  Why would I run the STA-1 when I could run a FV301?  Why Type 61, when I have a Vickers CR?

It just leaves me wondering - why drive a medium at all?

http://www.blitzstars.com/player/com/_Baroness

Well, I supposed that's it for me.  It's been a fun ride and I truly appreciate all the tanking advice I've been given.  I'll be taking my Dr. Seuss books and Mr. Potato head and moving on to other pastures.  I have not tried the discord, but I think I'll give that a go next.  I wish everyone here the best and perhaps I'll see you on the battlefield.  o7

RonaldusMaximus_ #2 Posted 17 December 2020 - 02:07 PM

Self-Righteous Prick, and Annihilator PR Manager

• Players
  • 20032 battles
The Japanese medium have always been relatively difficult to play. As big as a doublewide and about the same amount of armor. Not the greatest mobility.  I personally consider them "Red Line tanks" play them at the edges of the map and take opportunity shots. Use them to defend your teams Tank Destroyers.

generalhonks #3 Posted 17 December 2020 - 02:14 PM

I’m removing the speed limiter!

• Players
  • 10049 battles
  • [HOUSE]
The Japanese mediums are more of a support role.  Stay back, and deal damage. They have good guns, so if you can get into a good position you can really wreak havoc on the enemy team.

“Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way.” -Alan Watts

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Jaq___ #4 Posted 17 December 2020 - 02:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 33114 battles
In general the mediums have turret armor so can hull down better than lights, but yes the mobility, view range, camo, and guns on the lights make them a better choice usually (except the batchat imo). The entire Japanese medium line is total garbage until you get the STB which is great. Until you get to the tier X, you basically have to hide and be a mobile sniper without getting spotted. Brawling is bad and you can't bounce anything. 

YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

SuperUnicum by Star1 and WN8     

UberNoob in reality

_Baroness #5 Posted 17 December 2020 - 02:37 PM

Left the forums

• Players
  • 17887 battles
  • [NHP]

View PostJaq___, on 17 December 2020 - 09:34 AM, said:

In general the mediums have turret armor so can hull down better than lights, but yes the mobility, view range, camo, and guns on the lights make them a better choice usually (except the batchat imo). The entire Japanese medium line is total garbage until you get the STB which is great. Until you get to the tier X, you basically have to hide and be a mobile sniper without getting spotted. Brawling is bad and you can't bounce anything. 

Thank you.  I hope the STB-1 treats me well.

Well, I supposed that's it for me.  It's been a fun ride and I truly appreciate all the tanking advice I've been given.  I'll be taking my Dr. Seuss books and Mr. Potato head and moving on to other pastures.  I have not tried the discord, but I think I'll give that a go next.  I wish everyone here the best and perhaps I'll see you on the battlefield.  o7

Kiwi_Kebab #6 Posted 17 December 2020 - 03:20 PM

Low-Calorie Snack

• Players
  • 11054 battles
  • [ENDDZ]

View PostJaq___, on 17 December 2020 - 08:34 AM, said:

Not so fast, the Chi-Ri and Type 61 both have fantastic guns for the tier with enough mobility to use it properly. The Type 61 has the highest DPM of any medium or light at tier IX, so with a lack of hull armor comes the ability to completely burn other mediums in pure rate of fire. The Type 61 is the best its ever been right now. 

The STB-1 is also great, it will not disappoint you with its turret armor, mobility, and gun flexibility. They had to nerf its view range because it was too good a few updates ago. 

Kiwi_Kebab's Signature

_Baroness #7 Posted 17 December 2020 - 03:38 PM

Left the forums

• Players
  • 17887 battles
  • [NHP]

View PostKiwi_Kebab, on 17 December 2020 - 10:20 AM, said:

Not so fast, the Chi-Ri and Type 61 both have fantastic guns for the tier with enough mobility to use it properly. The Type 61 has the highest DPM of any medium or light at tier IX, so with a lack of hull armor comes the ability to completely burn other mediums in pure rate of fire. The Type 61 is the best its ever been right now. 

The STB-1 is also great, it will not disappoint you with its turret armor, mobility, and gun flexibility. They had to nerf its view range because it was too good a few updates ago. 

Thank you.  While I only have 15 battles in my Type 61, I seem to be ok in it.  I just don't get the feel of helping to carry a battle.  More of a running-scared-shoot-as-much-as-you-can feeling.  I have high hopes for the STB-1.

Jaq___ #8 Posted 17 December 2020 - 03:56 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 33114 battles

View PostKiwi_Kebab, on 17 December 2020 - 03:20 PM, said:

I respectively disagree. The Type 61 may look better than at first introduction on paper, but in reality it greatly suffers due to the introduction of so many better tanks. I mothballed it after 100 games several years ago with an 81% WR and 2500 avg damage.  I played 36 battles after the buff last year, and it quickly dropped me all the way out of the top 100 with a 75% WR and 2200 avg dmg overall now. It's just outclassed now imo. 

YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

SuperUnicum by Star1 and WN8     

UberNoob in reality

Chiefmac #9 Posted 17 December 2020 - 04:07 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 57845 battles
  • [ROTI]

View Post_Baroness, on 17 December 2020 - 07:38 AM, said:

Thank you.  While I only have 15 battles in my Type 61, I seem to be ok in it.  I just don't get the feel of helping to carry a battle.  More of a running-scared-shoot-as-much-as-you-can feeling.  I have high hopes for the STB-1.

The STB-1 won’t disappoint, it’s a fantastic medium. 

Recent escapee from Kommiefornia to Texas. 

Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% my attitude. 

7ero #10 Posted 17 December 2020 - 04:56 PM

That fine line between constructive criticism and a forum strike

• Players
  • 51176 battles
  • [SRT]
It’s so you can get to the STB-1.  That’s the one and only reason.  

“ Mm sucks just like u r face. Now Go cry on tissue not here.” ~ raj

dport02 #11 Posted 17 December 2020 - 06:31 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 35306 battles
  • [-FE4R]
The Japanese mediums suck. They are below average. The STB-1 is a great tank though.
RNG is rigged !

KempBushThe3rd #12 Posted 17 December 2020 - 09:33 PM

my words sometimes mean things

• Players
  • 23400 battles
  • [-PYX-]

View PostKiwi_Kebab, on 17 December 2020 - 10:20 AM, said:

Not so fast, the Chi-Ri and Type 61 both have fantastic guns for the tier with enough mobility to use it properly.

Disagree with the Chi-Ri. I'm grinding it right now, and while I do like the tank, it really struggles with penetration. Especially against tier 8s, and you don't have enough mobility to flank like other tier 7 mediums.

LordDumptruck #13 Posted 18 December 2020 - 12:28 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 24178 battles
  • [III-C]

View PostKempBushThe3rd, on 17 December 2020 - 09:33 PM, said:

Disagree with the Chi-Ri. I'm grinding it right now, and while I do like the tank, it really struggles with penetration. Especially against tier 8s, and you don't have enough mobility to flank like other tier 7 mediums.

It’s not fast, but to be honest that’s kept me out of trouble with a fair number of tanks, like the Leo. And I’ve seen some mad damage with that 480 alpha burst and 10 degrees of gun depr- gun turn down. Ness. 

A caveat-no I haven’t driven it, I free xp’d past it. The lessons that it teaches regarding staying near the map edges, using gun dewhatever to the best of your ability and hiding as much of your tank as you can are going to remain relevant for the STA-1 and the Type 61. 

And OP: like the others said, the STB-1 is a sweet machine. If you drive the STB-1 like you’ve had to drive all the other Japanese mediums, you will feel way more effective. 

_Wikipedia #14 Posted 18 December 2020 - 12:41 AM

Official advocate for 40%ers

• Players
  • 15329 battles
  • [GUPPY]
weebs

The legend himself: https://www.twitch.tv/dsteves

Do not have an average tier of 6-8 if you want to cry.

vvk2 #15 Posted 18 December 2020 - 12:58 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 80548 battles
  • [SPUD]
IMHO, In the current 8-10 meta, a med has to have some outstanding qualities to be worth playing. While STA has a great gun, it is a very hard tank to play effectively (or enjoy): personally I rather play Pershing with its very solid turret and shoot a lot of gold (I know its DPM sucks) - at least you know you can play hull down. I also had limited experience with Type 61, but again it didn't impress me either - having just a decent gun wasn't enough for me. But as everyone else said, there is a light at the end of the tunnel - the STB is an outstanding med. That one is definitely worth playing (payback time!), 

Ronin_23 #16 Posted 18 December 2020 - 01:11 AM

Bot

• Players
  • 28867 battles
  • [TENET]

View PostNoob666_, on 18 December 2020 - 12:41 AM, said:

weebs

Listen here you should be supporting the weebs here, as they're consumers like the rest of us and many of them bought the STA Rin camo thinking they'd get their waifu beside them in glorious battle only to be scammed by WG.

KempBushThe3rd #17 Posted 18 December 2020 - 01:25 AM

my words sometimes mean things

• Players
  • 23400 battles
  • [-PYX-]

View PostLordDumptruck, on 17 December 2020 - 07:28 PM, said:

It’s not fast, but to be honest that’s kept me out of trouble with a fair number of tanks, like the Leo. And I’ve seen some mad damage with that 480 alpha burst and 10 degrees of gun depr- gun turn down. Ness. 

A caveat-no I haven’t driven it, I free xp’d past it. The lessons that it teaches regarding staying near the map edges, using gun dewhatever to the best of your ability and hiding as much of your tank as you can are going to remain relevant for the STA-1 and the Type 61. 

Yes, limited speed is useful for that. But there's a problem when your p/w ratio is so low that you almost fail to COD an AT-7.

It's definitely not as bad of a tank as everyone says it is. In fact, I just got a 3.5kdmg ace in it about 90 min ago. But that was in a tier 7 match. In tier 8, you lack both penetration and mobility, so to do well you need to hope that you don't come across any medium tanks with armor, and any heavy tanks that you shoot are distracted and have their side turned to you, where that clip potential will carry your entire performance.

Kiwi_Kebab #18 Posted 18 December 2020 - 02:56 AM

Low-Calorie Snack

• Players
  • 11054 battles
  • [ENDDZ]

View PostKempBushThe3rd, on 17 December 2020 - 03:33 PM, said:

Didn't they even buff some of the Japanese tanks recently? Maybe they need even more!

I really like Japanese tanks in general, so maybe I'm just a weirdo; the Chi-To was my favorite tier 6 at one point, so maybe my nostalgia is blinding me. 

Kiwi_Kebab's Signature

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users