New to the forums? READ THIS FIRST!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

j_rod #1 Posted 22 January 2021 - 06:24 PM

Not a moderator, but Better Looking Than Cletus

• Players
  • 30254 battles
  • [III-C]

I’ve noticed we’ve had quite a few new posters to the forums and I’m sure we’re all glad to see new people/content instead of continuously hearing from the 5 of us that post too much. That said, I feel it would be beneficial to highlight a few common etiquette items to help these new folks out where they can actually enjoy this space. Not necessarily tips for new players as that’s already been done, but rather, tips for new posters to the forum.

Below are a couple of easy ones, but if the forum vets will add any they can think of, we can start a running list. Also, if the mods are open to it and this doesn’t go  completely to sh*t (as is apt to happen), we can possibly have it pinned under the Older Pinned Topics post so it’s the first thing a new person sees.

Tips for New Forumers

• We see you lurking (not really). Leave the shadows and come join us by actually posting something. We appreciate the new company!

• Avoid replying back to a post that is over 3 months old unless it’s applicable to the current state of Blitz. If you do decide to “necro” an old topic, call it out that it’s a necro and why the topic is being resurrected. 

• MM is often a topic of frustration for many players and has been discussed in considerable length on the official MM thread. Before posting a new thread regarding MM, it’s highly encouraged that you read back at least a few pages on the official thread. Good chance whatever suggestion/complaint/idea has already been discussed. 

• (Most) Forumers want to help you if you ask for it. However, it’s a pretty analytical group so be prepared for honest and direct responses. Avoid blaming teams, MM, RNG, etc as there’s nothing unique about you that we don’t all face and it typically elicits a negative response. Be prepared for your stats to be analyzed via Blitzstars as that’s where we can see how much you’re contributing to your games. 

• Game rules for Blitz can be found here and the EULA can be found here. Questions regarding payment issues, bans, etc can typically be answered by reading these. 

• Check recent threads to see if whatever topic you want to talk about is already in discussion. If it is, there’s no need to have multiple threads. There’s also a search function, but you need to be logged in to have access to it. If you’re wanting to discuss a certain topic and have to search for it, refer back to the first point above. If it’s more than three months old, start up a new thread.

•  Try not to be a d*ck, but if you are, you better have thick skin and be able to back it up. 

Edited by j_rod, 24 January 2021 - 03:02 PM.

Eventually given an infinite number of typewriters and an infinite number of Monkeys, they will come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. - C6 articulating the Infinite Monkey Theorem

It was never fair... but it was fun! - Krietenstein34 

Kiwi_Kebab #2 Posted 22 January 2021 - 06:36 PM

Low-Calorie Snack

• Players
  • 10108 battles
  • [ENDDZ]

- Read the EULA

Kiwi_Kebab's Signature

bwcamp #3 Posted 22 January 2021 - 06:36 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8793 battles
  • [MOD3]
I've already messed up the last point. Oh well.

The difference between camping and sniping is that the sniper looks for opportunities and the camper looks at the scenery.
- EL_Din_1946

CommanderSean_2014 #4 Posted 22 January 2021 - 06:37 PM

Yukari Ma Best Waifu

• Players
  • 19212 battles
  • [COD]
:medal:

A   Proud        

Taiwanese     

Wg should Ban the BOTS and AFKERS PERMANTLY

MRIGGS2345 #5 Posted 22 January 2021 - 07:22 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 10628 battles
  • [OLD_G]
Well said j-rod, had thought about this the other day.  Mods, possibly add the name & shame, language, etc. rules sticky this, and then delete my post.

_Baroness #6 Posted 22 January 2021 - 07:36 PM

Left the forums

• Players
  • 14265 battles
  • [NHP]

Excellent post, thank you.  I am somewhat new around here as well and also have another point of view:

I was a 'lurker' for a couple of years.  Often I would read through the recent threads and well, then it was time to wipe.  I was able to gain some valuable insight and often had questions but never logged in to contribute to the conversation.  I wasn't even 100% sure what my log in was.

As a lurker, you do not have access to certain options like search.  When I finally decided to make the plunge and join the conversation - many of my initial questions were met with "Why don't you use the search?".  While this might seem like a no brainer for forumers - it's not as obvious to the new folks.

When forum mods would move threads or combine things to make it seem cleaner - you often lose the lurkers in the conversation.  Not being logged in means you cannot follow things or look for recent content from other folks.

I know veteran forumers would just ask "Why not just log in and use the forums instead of lurk?"  And you're probably right.  Based on conversations I have with folks about wotb, I think the lurking community here is high in numbers.  I was one of them.  

To keep the forums growing and relevant, you need fresh blood.  I found the forums useful, so I joined to help keep this going.  The veteran forumers should keep this in mind and welcome new folks, as they do.  This thread is an excellent example of that and would've caused me to sign up had I read it while still lurking.

To current forum lurkers:  Please feel free to message me in game and I'm happy to discuss forums vs discord, how/why I joined, etc.  I'm an open book.

http://www.blitzstars.com/player/com/_Baroness

Well, I supposed that's it for me.  It's been a fun ride and I truly appreciate all the tanking advice I've been given.  I'll be taking my Dr. Seuss books and Mr. Potato head and moving on to other pastures.  I have not tried the discord, but I think I'll give that a go next.  I wish everyone here the best and perhaps I'll see you on the battlefield.  o7

7ero #7 Posted 23 January 2021 - 12:05 AM

That fine line between constructive criticism and a forum strike

• Players
  • 47421 battles
  • [SRT]

View Post_Baroness, on 22 January 2021 - 01:36 PM, said:

Excellent post, thank you.  I am somewhat new around here as well and also have another point of view:

I was a 'lurker' for a couple of years.  Often I would read through the recent threads and well, then it was time to wipe.  I was able to gain some valuable insight and often had questions but never logged in to contribute to the conversation.  I wasn't even 100% sure what my log in was.

As a lurker, you do not have access to certain options like search.  When I finally decided to make the plunge and join the conversation - many of my initial questions were met with "Why don't you use the search?".  While this might seem like a no brainer for forumers - it's not as obvious to the new folks.

When forum mods would move threads or combine things to make it seem cleaner - you often lose the lurkers in the conversation.  Not being logged in means you cannot follow things or look for recent content from other folks.

I know veteran forumers would just ask "Why not just log in and use the forums instead of lurk?"  And you're probably right.  Based on conversations I have with folks about wotb, I think the lurking community here is high in numbers.  I was one of them.  

To keep the forums growing and relevant, you need fresh blood.  I found the forums useful, so I joined to help keep this going.  The veteran forumers should keep this in mind and welcome new folks, as they do.  This thread is an excellent example of that and would've caused me to sign up had I read it while still lurking.

To current forum lurkers:  Please feel free to message me in game and I'm happy to discuss forums vs discord, how/why I joined, etc.  I'm an open book.

This is a really good point.  JRod.  You might want to change the title and add some examples of why being a member of the forums is better than being a lurker.  

“ Mm sucks just like u r face. Now Go cry on tissue not here.” ~ raj

wrecker1968 #8 Posted 23 January 2021 - 12:22 AM

Head of Security

• Players
  • 59735 battles
  • [HOUSE]
If you are going to criticise WG then make sure you have proof and more proof. And then thick skin because you are gonna get ripped apart by The Russian sympathisers sympathisers sympathisers. In fact don't even bother ,It is not worth time.

_BobaFett #9 Posted 23 January 2021 - 12:27 AM

Bounty Hunter

• Players
  • 18009 battles
How do I send this to my past self? Asking for a friend.

j_rod #10 Posted 23 January 2021 - 02:46 AM

• Players
  • 30254 battles
  • [III-C]

View Post____Zer0____, on 22 January 2021 - 06:05 PM, said:

This is a really good point.  JRod.  You might want to change the title and add some examples of why being a member of the forums is better than being a lurker.  

I’ll change the title once we’ve got a decent list compiled and I added a comment about coming into the light as opposed to lurking. Good suggestion from you and Baroness. 

Eventually given an infinite number of typewriters and an infinite number of Monkeys, they will come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. - C6 articulating the Infinite Monkey Theorem

_BobaFett #11 Posted 23 January 2021 - 03:01 AM

Bounty Hunter

• Players
  • 18009 battles
I was a bit of a d*ck when I first joined these forums, and at times I still can act like one these days. In all honesty, I haven't changed too much. It's something I work on day by day.

Being open is one of the best tips for forming healthy bonds with the people here. I'm guilty of taking the defensive stance way more than I'm willing to admit.

Don't be like Nathan. Be friendly and open to diferring opinions.

Ronin_23 #12 Posted 23 January 2021 - 03:46 AM

Bot

• Players
  • 28452 battles
  • [TENET]
Never understood lurking. You already have the WG account set up if you've made it to the forums. Might as well get full functionality even if you don't want to post.

Vacazion #13 Posted 23 January 2021 - 05:05 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 89129 battles
  • [MINE]

For God’s sake,  @Gavidoc, Cletus and Ronaldus, can you get this man promoted out of the Probatio clan?  Jrod is practically a saint serving knowledge on these young forumers.  Shedding light where there is darkness.   Giving strength in a sea of weakness.  Shelter from the storm.

Other than his black heart, quick temper, unsightly appearance, bad breath, and a propensity for chronicling unchaste fondness for my mother in great detail, he is a gentleman beyond reproach.   This is my honest reference for his promotion.

Sincerely,

Vac

Palepatriot #14 Posted 23 January 2021 - 05:34 AM

Pusher of Girl Scout Cookies

• Players
  • 31730 battles
  • [BELLS]
Now THATS how you write a reference!

9_V0LT #15 Posted 23 January 2021 - 05:48 AM

Cunning Linguist

• Players
  • 10822 battles
  • [OGRE]

You know what TV show doesn't have a lot of African Americans in it? Vikings.

I've watched all 5 seasons and haven't seen one brother on that show yet.

I'm starting to think Amazon Prime Video is kinda racist.

Yeah, I'm back. Let's not make a big deal about this.

7ero #16 Posted 23 January 2021 - 05:58 AM

That fine line between constructive criticism and a forum strike

• Players
  • 47421 battles
  • [SRT]

View Post9_V0LT, on 22 January 2021 - 11:48 PM, said:

I’m starting to think you might be kinda drunk.  

“ Mm sucks just like u r face. Now Go cry on tissue not here.” ~ raj

9_V0LT #17 Posted 23 January 2021 - 05:59 AM

Cunning Linguist

• Players
  • 10822 battles
  • [OGRE]

View Post9_V0LT, on 23 January 2021 - 05:48 AM, said:

This has been a Public Service example, of thread derailment.

As a new forumer, you want to avoid being a victim or unwitting abuser of it.

Yeah, I'm back. Let's not make a big deal about this.

j_rod #18 Posted 23 January 2021 - 07:25 AM

• Players
  • 30254 battles
  • [III-C]

View PostVacazion, on 22 January 2021 - 11:05 PM, said:

For God’s sake,  @Gavidoc, Cletus and Ronaldus, can you get this man promoted out of the Probatio clan?  Jrod is practically a saint serving knowledge on these young forumers.  Shedding light where there is darkness.   Giving strength in a sea of weakness.  Shelter from the storm.

Other than his black heart, quick temper, unsightly appearance, bad breath, and a propensity for chronicling unchaste fondness for my mother in great detail, he is a gentleman beyond reproach.   This is my honest reference for his promotion.

Sincerely,

Vac

This will be my used as my obituary one day. 

_Baroness #19 Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:39 AM

Left the forums

• Players
  • 14265 battles
  • [NHP]

View PostRonin_23, on 22 January 2021 - 10:46 PM, said:

Never understood lurking. You already have the WG account set up if you've made it to the forums. Might as well get full functionality even if you don't want to post.

As funny as it sounds, some folks don't make the connection with this being a WG forum and using their existing WG log in for Blitz.  Others don't want to enter their log in information into a site they are unfamiliar with, etc.

When I first googled for some blitz help and found the forums, I assumed it was something you needed to 'join'.  I saw the custom avatars, titles, etc. - things that are not in game.  Just another place to grab your email address and other information in exchange for being able to post.  No thanks.  Plus it's not the easiest forum for posting pics, battle results, or even replays.

In reality, you have already 'joined' by joining wotb.  So at this point, you just need to simply log in.

http://www.blitzstars.com/player/com/_Baroness

Well, I supposed that's it for me.  It's been a fun ride and I truly appreciate all the tanking advice I've been given.  I'll be taking my Dr. Seuss books and Mr. Potato head and moving on to other pastures.  I have not tried the discord, but I think I'll give that a go next.  I wish everyone here the best and perhaps I'll see you on the battlefield.  o7

BAR_001 #20 Posted 23 January 2021 - 02:59 PM

Mechanized com poster

• Players
  • 34598 battles
  • [HAHA]
My tip for nubees, Cletus is taken. Read into that whatever you will.
RNG doesn't bother hackers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users