Opinions on driving OP tanks. To be OP, or not to be OP...?

Annihilator Chimera Shark Smasher Action X

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Poll: Driving OP Premium Tanks... (45 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 5 battle in order to participate this poll.

Do you regularly drive “OP” Premium Tanks?

1. HELL YES, I’m an unabashed wallet warrior and I don’t care what anyone thinks. (18 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. NO SIR, I hate that WG has allowed such tanks in the game, and I won’t have any part in it. (6 votes [13.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

3. MEH, live and let live. What’s the big hairy deal? (21 votes [46.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.67%

Vote Hide poll

Jean_Luc_D_Argent #21 Posted 05 February 2021 - 02:23 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 14951 battles
  • [III-C]

View Postcheasesteak, on 05 February 2021 - 01:41 PM, said:

Why any angst at all about how a bunch of internet strangers perceive your stats?  Play whatever tanks you want.  

View Post_Crusader6_, on 05 February 2021 - 02:05 PM, said:

Exactly. 

Now you should feel shame if you play more than 100 games in the Annihilator if it’s already aced.  

I'm confused. "Who cares! Play whatever you want!   (... unless it's the Anni, and you've aced it)"?

Edited by Jean_Luc_D_Argent, 05 February 2021 - 02:40 PM.

cheasesteak #22 Posted 05 February 2021 - 02:25 PM

Lackey to the Barons of Entrenched Corporate Greed

• Players
  • 23539 battles
  • [COD-R]

View PostJean_Luc_D_Argent, on 05 February 2021 - 02:23 PM, said:

I'm confused. "Who care! Play whatever you want!   (... unless it's the Anni, and you've aced it)"?

it’s a joke. 

RonaldusMaximus_ #23 Posted 05 February 2021 - 02:29 PM

Self-Righteous Prick, and Physics Denier

• Players
  • 19746 battles
  • [III-C]

I only play the Anni when I am Tooned with another Anni.

I try to rope as many others into my crimes as possible. 

Jean_Luc_D_Argent #24 Posted 05 February 2021 - 02:40 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 14951 battles
  • [III-C]

View Postcheasesteak, on 05 February 2021 - 02:25 PM, said:

it’s a joke. 

Sorry. I'm daft today.

Maybe not just today...

Jean_Luc_D_Argent #25 Posted 05 February 2021 - 02:48 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 14951 battles
  • [III-C]

View PostRonaldusMaximus_, on 05 February 2021 - 02:29 PM, said:

I only play the Anni when I am Tooned with another Anni.

I try to rope as many others into my crimes as possible. 

That's my clan-mate, right there!  :playing:

Kiwi_Kebab #26 Posted 05 February 2021 - 03:09 PM

Low-Calorie Snack

• Players
  • 10108 battles
  • [ENDDZ]

It's not your responsibility to balance gameplay, that is the Dev team's burden. 

Play whatever you want.

Kiwi_Kebab's Signature

Chiefmac #27 Posted 05 February 2021 - 04:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 56140 battles
  • [ROTI]

View PostJean_Luc_D_Argent, on 05 February 2021 - 12:12 AM, said:

Maybe I worry about stupid stuff. But oh well this is just a game, so we can discuss stupid stuff and still have fun doing so. Right?

Recently, I’ve been debating whether I should only drive TECH TREE Premiums (T34, IS-6, etc) in order to grind credits (how else can you play tier x without going broke). Why? I’m just not sure I want my stats built on “OP” tanks.

*Whether or not they’re truly OP is a separate discussion. Even if they’re PERCEIVED as OP, I feel it discredits my stats and progress in the game. 

For example, I recently got thrown some hate in a battle for driving the Chimera. “Get that fk OP tank outta here” or something along those lines. Annihilator is clearly overcooked. I could drive and win easily most of the time in that, and earn credits. But that doesn’t really show I’ve become an ace tanker, now does it?

Thoughts?   T34, IS-6, Löwe, FCM 50t...  OR   Action X, Shark, Chimera, Anni, WZ-120-1G FT...?

*As a side note, part of me wants to justify driving “easy” tanks, just because I waited to long to really focus on “getting gud” and it’s hard to fix stats after 10k battles (career WR is still below 50%). Even so, the other part of me wants to earn it “the right way,” if there is such a thing. 

OP tanks available only via crates should be a crime. 

Recent escapee from Kommiefornia to Texas. 

Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% my attitude. 

Chiefmac #28 Posted 05 February 2021 - 04:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 56140 battles
  • [ROTI]

View PostJean_Luc_D_Argent, on 05 February 2021 - 12:12 AM, said:

Maybe I worry about stupid stuff. But oh well this is just a game, so we can discuss stupid stuff and still have fun doing so. Right?

Recently, I’ve been debating whether I should only drive TECH TREE Premiums (T34, IS-6, etc) in order to grind credits (how else can you play tier x without going broke). Why? I’m just not sure I want my stats built on “OP” tanks.

*Whether or not they’re truly OP is a separate discussion. Even if they’re PERCEIVED as OP, I feel it discredits my stats and progress in the game. 

For example, I recently got thrown some hate in a battle for driving the Chimera. “Get that fk OP tank outta here” or something along those lines. Annihilator is clearly overcooked. I could drive and win easily most of the time in that, and earn credits. But that doesn’t really show I’ve become an ace tanker, now does it?

Thoughts?   T34, IS-6, Löwe, FCM 50t...  OR   Action X, Shark, Chimera, Anni, WZ-120-1G FT...?

*As a side note, part of me wants to justify driving “easy” tanks, just because I waited to long to really focus on “getting gud” and it’s hard to fix stats after 10k battles (career WR is still below 50%). Even so, the other part of me wants to earn it “the right way,” if there is such a thing. 

I honestly can’t stand that silly terms like “wallet warrior” are allowed. It’s disgusting and does nothing but divide players. Why aren’t F2P players referred to as cheap “bàstards?” Same applies to “nub” and “git gud”. Just freaking illiterate....

Edited by Chiefmac, 05 February 2021 - 04:41 PM.

Recent escapee from Kommiefornia to Texas. 

Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% my attitude. 

cheasesteak #29 Posted 05 February 2021 - 04:46 PM

Lackey to the Barons of Entrenched Corporate Greed

• Players
  • 23539 battles
  • [COD-R]

View PostChiefmac, on 05 February 2021 - 04:38 PM, said:

I honestly can’t stand that silly terms like “wallet warrior” are allowed. It’s disgusting and does nothing but divide players. Why aren’t F2P players referred to as cheap “bàstards?” Same applies to “nub” and “git gud”. Just freaking illiterate....

plus, with free gold now in the game, even FTP players can have at least a few OP premiums.  

christianthetankkiller #30 Posted 05 February 2021 - 05:37 PM

Gold Hoarding Dragon

• Players
  • 17823 battles
  • [GOD23]
I think you can play whatever tanks you want, but if you’re spamming the annihilator and/or smasher just to pump up your win rate then that just shows you have no skill. I know killing noobs is fun but having 1000 plus battles in a smasher (and not trying to get that impossible ace like Cru6) is kind of sad in my opinion.
My armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail is a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death! -Smaug

Check out my thread about special deals only on the Switch:http://forum.wotblitz.com/index.php?/topic/112118-switch-only-deals/

Kiwi_Kebab #31 Posted 05 February 2021 - 06:20 PM

Low-Calorie Snack

• Players
  • 10108 battles
  • [ENDDZ]

View Postchristianthetankkiller, on 05 February 2021 - 11:37 AM, said:

I think you can play whatever tanks you want, but if you’re spamming the annihilator and/or smasher just to pump up your win rate then that just shows you have no skill. I know killing noobs is fun but having 1000 plus battles in a smasher (and not trying to get that impossible ace like Cru6) is kind of sad in my opinion.

Being a Smasher main and having skill are not disjoint states. Skillful players in Annis is WHY the Anni is OP. 

Case in point, I beat a full health Anni and Predator UM in my Type 58 (with some help from an ally Rudy) on Castilla, getting the HOF 4th highest damage in Type 58 to do it. This was a poor player in an Anni, which is to say there is no tank in the game strong enough that bad players will stop being bad. They don't lack skill because they drive the Anni, they lack skill AND they drive the Anni. They are independent events. Lots of skillful players out there tooning double WZ-120G FTs and the like. 

It's not sad to have fun in OP tanks, it's enjoyable. I envy such frabjous merry-making. It's even more fun to come out on top despite the statistical disadvantage! I welcome these imbalances as part of game variety (though seeing certain tanks being super spammed is a bad type of imbalance as it doesn't curate the variety I crave).

Kiwi_Kebab's Signature

Ronin_23 #32 Posted 05 February 2021 - 06:35 PM

Bot

• Players
  • 28452 battles
  • [TENET]

View PostKiwi_Kebab, on 05 February 2021 - 06:20 PM, said:

frabjous

TIL this is a word. Cool vocab :)

TengenToppaPotatoLagann #33 Posted 05 February 2021 - 06:58 PM

ᵐʸ ʰᵉˢʰ ʷᶦᶫᶫ ᵖᶦᵉʳᶜᵉ ᵗʰᵉ ʰᵉᵃᵛᵉᶰˢ﹗

• Players
  • 66414 battles
  • [CRYBB]

View Post_Crusader6_, on 05 February 2021 - 09:05 AM, said:

Now you should feel shame if you play more than 100 games in the Annihilator if it’s already aced.  

woah woah woah, I'm more ashamed that I only have 9 aces in mine.

#2 TOG captain (na) (retired)

View Postminitel_NA, on 13 January 2018 - 03:06 AM, said:

when I’m tired I think I’m good.

Jean_Luc_D_Argent #34 Posted 05 February 2021 - 08:23 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 14951 battles
  • [III-C]
Hilarious comments and good feedback all around! Thanks y'all for participating!  

christianthetankkiller #35 Posted 05 February 2021 - 09:43 PM

Gold Hoarding Dragon

• Players
  • 17823 battles
  • [GOD23]

View PostKiwi_Kebab, on 05 February 2021 - 01:20 PM, said:

Being a Smasher main and having skill are not disjoint states. Skillful players in Annis is WHY the Anni is OP. 

Case in point, I beat a full health Anni and Predator UM in my Type 58 (with some help from an ally Rudy) on Castilla, getting the HOF 4th highest damage in Type 58 to do it. This was a poor player in an Anni, which is to say there is no tank in the game strong enough that bad players will stop being bad. They don't lack skill because they drive the Anni, they lack skill AND they drive the Anni. They are independent events. Lots of skillful players out there tooning double WZ-120G FTs and the like. 

It's not sad to have fun in OP tanks, it's enjoyable. I envy such frabjous merry-making. It's even more fun to come out on top despite the statistical disadvantage! I welcome these imbalances as part of game variety (though seeing certain tanks being super spammed is a bad type of imbalance as it doesn't curate the variety I crave).

You could say skillful play in any tank can make it OP. I have seen far more low win rate players do well in an annihilator then in a tech tree tank, that’s not to say that every noob can do well in one. I’ve seen people with full health lose to a one shot before, and it wasn’t because the tank they were using was bad, it was because they were bad. My problem is with good players spamming OP tanks to artificially inflate their win rate which has led to the mess that we know as tier VII.

My armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail is a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death! -Smaug

Check out my thread about special deals only on the Switch:http://forum.wotblitz.com/index.php?/topic/112118-switch-only-deals/

Kiwi_Kebab #36 Posted 05 February 2021 - 11:00 PM

Low-Calorie Snack

• Players
  • 10108 battles
  • [ENDDZ]

View Postchristianthetankkiller, on 05 February 2021 - 03:43 PM, said:

You could say skillful play in any tank can make it OP. I have seen far more low win rate players do well in an annihilator then in a tech tree tank, that’s not to say that every noob can do well in one. I’ve seen people with full health lose to a one shot before, and it wasn’t because the tank they were using was bad, it was because they were bad. My problem is with good players spamming OP tanks to artificially inflate their win rate which has led to the mess that we know as tier VII.

So you think it's "sad" (which we haven't defined what makes something "sad" or "honorable" or whatever the opposite is) when players who are "good" play OP tanks (the tanks that win the most) in order to increase winrate, this being the marker of players with "no skill".

Are they good, or do they have no skill? Im really interested to see the root of what you're communicating.

Kiwi_Kebab's Signature

7ero #37 Posted 06 February 2021 - 02:00 AM

That fine line between constructive criticism and a forum strike

• Players
  • 47550 battles
  • [SRT]
Blah.  Stat padding and op tanks.  Feeling bad vs not caring.   It’s a dead issue anymore. The games been around long enough for enough players to have a lot of “OP tanks”.  Why feel bad for playing an annihilator when every tier seven game has 2 to 4 annihilators in it anyway.  It’s not really stat padding when you’re consistently playing against the same tank. At that point it’s just a matter of who’s the better player

“ Mm sucks just like u r face. Now Go cry on tissue not here.” ~ raj

christianthetankkiller #38 Posted 06 February 2021 - 02:01 AM

Gold Hoarding Dragon

• Players
  • 17823 battles
  • [GOD23]

View PostKiwi_Kebab, on 05 February 2021 - 06:00 PM, said:

So you think it's "sad" (which we haven't defined what makes something "sad" or "honorable" or whatever the opposite is) when players who are "good" play OP tanks (the tanks that win the most) in order to increase winrate, this being the marker of players with "no skill".

Are they good, or do they have no skill? Im really interested to see the root of what you're communicating.

I probably should have used something less harsh than “no skill”. I’m taking about an average player (50 percent win rate) spamming something broken like the smasher to make their stats look great (60 percent win rate). The player is good but they’re trying to make them selves look like unicums with something that requires very little skill to do well in. When I said sad I more meant pathetic, because they are the kind of players that stat shame others when they don’t do as well as them in battle. I’m fine with people that play their broken tank once in a while but playing it thousands of times is part of the reason tier 7 is the way it is.

someguyfromPitt #39 Posted 06 February 2021 - 06:53 AM

Jeez Louise that one bounced

• Players
  • 56440 battles
  • [III-R]

The meta changes every so often. However the constant is if the tank is slow, it’s harder to influence the battle. 

I play fast premium tanks and the mod 1. It allows to gain credits, influence battles by moving the attack to odd tank advantages, and to take out slower Heavies.

Its a formula I learned from Lokeen. Slow tanks don’t influence the battle that much. 

Tanking in Blitz since July 2014

95 tanks in the garage, 26 premiums, 14 collectors, 25 tier X

The 30th member of Triarii, joined August 2014

RIP TankBoom Podcast

CommanderSean_2014 #40 Posted 06 February 2021 - 05:46 PM

Yukari Ma Best Waifu

• Players
  • 19304 battles
  • [-PYX-]

View PostKiwi_Kebab, on 06 February 2021 - 02:20 AM, said:

A   Proud        

Taiwanese     

Wg should Ban the BOTS and AFKERS PERMANTLY

Also tagged with Annihilator, Chimera, Shark, Smasher, Action X

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users