New Learning How to Tier 8

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Phil44five #1 Posted 16 February 2021 - 11:35 AM

Private

• Players
  • 19086 battles
  • [VALKY]

Welcome to my new little blog topic.  After playing for about a year and seeing a very large number of very weak players as high as tier 9 I thought I would produce some info on this blog to help new and newish players succeed.  Let's jump right in!

Nub Lesson #1: Never, ever go alone at the beginning of the battle (unless you're driving a Dracula).  The first 60 seconds of the game will determine most of what happens for the remainder of the battle.  If you go alone without having spotted any tanks, you runt he risk of turning a corner and BOOM, four tanks smoke you in 4 or 5 shots.  If you're in a light or a medium tank I recommend exploring a secluded section of a map with no less than 1 buddy.  And even with only one, you might end up outnumbered 2 to 1 and your nearest help will be slow heavy tanks on the far side of the map.  The quickest way to die is to go alone and if you die in 90 seconds or less you are sending a message to everyone in that battle that says "I am a nub and I have no idea what I'm doing."

Tip 1-1: Never explore during the first 60 seconds of the map without at least one teammate.

Tip 1-2: If the team is split up, do your best to make it two squads of 3 and 4 tanks.e  

Nub lesson #2: Memorize the maps.  All of them.  Every square meter.  This is probably the number contributing factor to winning battles.  7 tanks with an excellent knowledge of the map will be a strong team by default as you must know the terrain you are fighting in.  This is military 101.  When you're in a light and you've got one teammate left on the far side of the map, knowing the fastest route to help them is critical.  But knowing the maps intimately works in many other ways.  On some maps there are so many little nooks and cranny's to shoot through that there are one or two locations where I can get the first shot fired of the game with an 80% chance of scoring damage almost every game on that map.  So explore each map.  Try a different approach to that first 60 seconds of the game by going someplace you haven't been before.  Even if you're in a light tank and an area is where the Tank Destroyers (TDs) always go, go try it.  You will get a chance to see what the TDs see.

Tip 2-1: Know the maps, intimately 

Tip 2-2: Explore every nook and cranny and go places you've never been until you have every house in town memorized.

Nub lesson #3: Know thy enemy tanks armor & Know thy own armor.  I would say this is one of the most repeated rookie mistakes.  A light or a medium tank in a great tactical spot where one can quickly move forward, fire off a shot and then return to cover in < 1 second.  But you're shooting the face of a Tiger II or an Emil.  There are VERY few small and light tanks that are going to penetrate the front of those tanks.  A new player will pull  out, fire and pull back in behind that cover and they will do it 3 or four times trying to find the weakness.  In theory this is great, find the weakness.  But what you could do instead is go to the tech tree and match up your average penetration rate with the average armor thickness of an enemy tank.  I recommend taking the time to do this for one new tank every couple of games.  If you play often enough you will notice which tanks you have a hard time penetrating in almost every game.  Look at the front, sides and rear armor fractors for the tanks that give you trouble.  One of the most effective ways to take advantage of tanks with low armor is that you don't have to site in perfectly to hit that weak spot like you do on the low back end of an Obj 252U.  With a tank with weak armor (Rhm, Ru, Bulldog, WT . . ) you can just ping that tank from almost any angle.  The quickness that you can do this with gives you a huge advantage over the scoping in for a full 1-2 seconds to hit the right spot.

The second part of this lesson is YOUR armor.  Know. Your. Armor.  If I'm driving a Tiger II and I know that the front armor of my turret is 220 AND my hull's front armor is 160 and I'm up against a Tier 7 Comet, I know that his best canon has a penetration of 148.  So I'll sit in the open (if it's a 1 on 1 situation) and wait for him to shoot me in the face all day long.  Because my penetration (225)  will crush his feeble armor (76) all day long.  In the meantime he's bouncing rounds off of me like a bb gun trying to shoot through a bulletproof window.  HE is the exception to this and that is actually lesson #4 below.

Tip 3-1: Know the armor of the tank you're up against.  If you don't know it, go look it up on the tech tree

Tip 3-2: Know your tank's armor.  This is key for knowing if you should run, face the enemy head on, or use an angle deflection 

Nub lesson #4.  Know how to use Armor Piercing and High Explosive rounds effectively.  In a nutshell, Armor Piercing, or AP as it's normally called is the standard round.  If you don't change anything at the beginning of the battle, you're shooting AP.  AP is like a metal bullet and designed to penetrate into the metal armor of an enemy tank.  If you don't have enough penetrating power you're not going to cause damage.  The other main reason for not penetrating/causing damage is angle.  Sometimes, even the big guns on the TDs are firing at such oblique angles that their heavy penetrating rounds just ricochet. Think of angles like this, you're shooting your bb gun directly at the door of an old abandoned car.  If the bb is striking at 90˚ then it's leaving a little nick in the pain, maybe even a small dent.  If you're shooting at almost any other angle (especially for a round bb pellet) it's going to bounce off.  When this happens, switch to High Explosive rounds also known as HE.  An HE round is unique because it essentially explodes on contact and often does not need to penetrate to cause damage. This is exceptionally effective on weak armored tanks.  The tank I know the best is a RU 251 and my rear hull armor is a whopping 8mm!!  When a Rhm or a WT fires an HE round at my [edited], I could take damage up to 900 in one shot.  But that same round striking a heavily armored tank might only warrant splash damage of 30 or less.  The other highly effective use of HE is for that last 20 or 30 damage for a kill, on a tank that may have good armor.  Many times the near guarantee of low damage of an HE round will make that final shot more likely to be the final blow.  

Tip 4-1: AP is standard, use for most firing unless your enemy has very good armor (heavy tanks)

Tip 4-2: Switch to HE if you need a kill shot on an enemy with very little life left and don't want to risk deflection or if you're faced with a tank whose armor you cannot pen with an AP round.

Nub lesson #5. Understand the role of your tank in the grand scheme of things.  This is the same as understanding the role of the different members of the infantry.  You have your mortars, which area always located further back from where the fire fight is happening, these are TDs in our case.  You have the bulk of most fire fights being done by the heavies which are fat and slow so they are unable to come to your safety in a timely manner.  Lastly are your scouts, these are the fast little tanks like the T49, M9, Ru 251, Dracula . . .  If you're in a light/medium tank and you can't get a damage causing angle on a group of heavies engaged with your own team's heavies, go to the rear of the map and fire at them from the sides and from behind.  If you're a heavy tank, it doesn't make much sense to drive out into the desert at the beginning of the game when you don't know where the enemy tanks are.  If you get out there and they all went to town, then you're gonna waste 2 minutes of battle just driving toward the enemy.  If you're a TD, often times you will go to a perch or area with a broad open view of the battlefield, where you are either very well concealed or very well covered (yes there's a difference).  This allows them to send that massive firepower long distances which is their specialty.  There are always exceptions to this rule.  But understand that your fast light tank, is not meant to sit on top of a mountain peak and take pop shots from 1000 yards away.  Your light tank is designed to be fast and agile so maximize it's specialty in maneuverability and escape maneuvers.

Tip 5-1: Know your tanks role and specialty

Tip 5-2 Attempt to maximize the skills associated with your tank type. Light/medium tanks are excellent and maneuverability and escaping.  Heavy tanks are great at deflecting incoming rounds.  TDs are great for big damage shots from a long distances.

Remember not to play at high tiers if you don't have the skills to play there and have fun blowin' [edited]up.

Phil44Five over and out

tedg5 #2 Posted 16 February 2021 - 02:13 PM

Tater salad

• Players
  • 60400 battles
  • [AGOGO]
Nice work. :great:

Kiwi_Kebab #3 Posted 16 February 2021 - 05:18 PM

Low-Calorie Snack

• Players
  • 10108 battles
  • [ENDDZ]

Great first post!

I will add to #3 with the application ArmorInspector. It has a version for Blitz that allows you to see the armor hitskin from the eyes of any gun in the game. Very helpful!

Kiwi_Kebab's Signature

_Baroness #4 Posted 16 February 2021 - 06:54 PM

Left the forums

• Players
  • 14363 battles
  • [NHP]
Welcome to the forums.  I appreciate your post.

http://www.blitzstars.com/player/com/_Baroness

Well, I supposed that's it for me.  It's been a fun ride and I truly appreciate all the tanking advice I've been given.  I'll be taking my Dr. Seuss books and Mr. Potato head and moving on to other pastures.  I have not tried the discord, but I think I'll give that a go next.  I wish everyone here the best and perhaps I'll see you on the battlefield.  o7

ac1011990 #5 Posted 16 February 2021 - 10:14 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 24282 battles
  • [NUTHS]
Great first post! Another important piece of info is, never be afraid to run away. I see way too many players, especially in meds and lights, get into a bad scenario and feel the need to stay and fight. If your a flanking med and happen to find the whole enemy team coming at you, please run away as fast as you can. Recognizing at bad scenario and getting out of it, can make or break a game. 

ColdSteel5a_1 #6 Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:57 AM

Private

• Players
  • 60 battles

Good information, but, as in most guides, I see a lot of what to do, but not a lot on how to do it. 

Any suggestions?

j_rod #7 Posted 19 February 2021 - 09:10 PM

TWSS, and still Better Looking Than Cletus

• Players
  • 30272 battles
  • [III-C]

View PostColdSteel5a_1, on 19 February 2021 - 04:57 AM, said:

Good information, but, as in most guides, I see a lot of what to do, but not a lot on how to do it. 

Any suggestions?

I’ll try to summarize each of the OP’s (very good) points from an application standpoint - 

1) “Go with the team.” Self-explanatory. Always go with the team, even if you think the call is wrong. Very good players don’t have to bc they know the limits, but for any of us average players, always have support.

2) “Memorize the maps.” Just takes times. Keep playing and it’ll come. If you see a player do an amazing job and after the game you see that they have really good stats, watch the replay and see what they did. 

3) “Understand armor profiles.” Also comes from experience, but if you’re really new, pop up Armor Inspector on your computer (or there’s an app on your phone) before playing to see where the armor on your tank is. The higher the tier, the more nuanced the armor profiles.

4) “Know your shell.” Read and watch. I know it says it’s for WOT PC, but the mechanics are the same. 

5) “Understand your tank’s characteristics.” Other than through experience, the best way to learn is to watch a solid YouTube channel that explains how the tank plays. If, after watching, it’s still hard to discern the tank’s role, you can always come to the forums and ask. 

Eventually given an infinite number of typewriters and an infinite number of Monkeys, they will come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. - C6 articulating the Infinite Monkey Theorem

It was never fair... but it was fun! - Krietenstein34 

Also tagged with New, Learning, How to, Tier 8

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users