afk problem

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Player_0000000007 #1 Posted 30 March 2021 - 03:35 AM

Theorist of Dubiously Coincidental Events

• Players
  • 33771 battles
  • [D_ARK]

We lost the battle. Not a great outcome but the "what if's" can be written into a book. Happens.

But riddle me this.

This fool...

Spoiler

...does not move/flinch/blink the whole battle...

Spoiler

...yet WG decides that their so-called effort warrants nearly half the XP awarded to the three players who dealt over 3K damage!

Spoiler

Thanks. For. The. Slap. In. The. Face.

Anni is more overpowered than missiles were...will it get removed, too?

Just another demo account, nothing to see here

"Say what you like, but stop pissing on my back and telling me it's raining." Blartch

_Wikipedia #2 Posted 30 March 2021 - 03:37 AM

Official advocate for 40%ers

• Players
  • 15288 battles
  • [GUPPY]
Meh, git gud.

The legend himself: https://www.twitch.tv/dsteves

Do not have an average tier of 6-8 if you want to cry.

acrisis #3 Posted 30 March 2021 - 04:01 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 21710 battles
  • [III-C]

More than a few people have asked for AFKs to simply get 0 ... for a few years.

Soon ™

BE     (+)   
>> Desktop mode  =>  + Recent topics   + Staff Posts 
    > WG Bugs & current update   > Feedback  
 > Videos   > Vehicle Bay   > Guides    

> PingPlotter >  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified using PingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii | Blitz University | Basic Training | Mentor | Pingplotter Guy

JefeMac #4 Posted 30 March 2021 - 04:24 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 6600 battles
  • [ROTI]
Ah-hem: “working as intended.” 

When in doubt, observe and ask questions. When certain, observe at length and ask many more questions.” – General Patton

THERebrth #5 Posted 30 March 2021 - 04:44 AM

Passive-aggresive but more passive

• Players
  • 14161 battles
  • [GRNMO]

View Postacrisis, on 29 March 2021 - 10:01 PM, said:

More than a few people have asked for AFKs to simply get 0 ... for a few years.

Soon ™

if its going to be implemented, the system needs to be able to recognize between a serial afk, someone who yolos, and someone who died trying but still did 0 damage. If that's even possible.

Raging Dumbo

Player_0000000007 #6 Posted 30 March 2021 - 04:49 AM

Theorist of Dubiously Coincidental Events

• Players
  • 33771 battles
  • [D_ARK]

View PostTHERebrth, on 29 March 2021 - 10:44 PM, said:

if its going to be implemented, the system needs to be able to recognize between a serial afk, someone who yolos, and someone who died trying but still did 0 damage. If that's even possible.

odometer

Anni is more overpowered than missiles were...will it get removed, too?

Just another demo account, nothing to see here

"Say what you like, but stop pissing on my back and telling me it's raining." Blartch

whatzup22 #7 Posted 30 March 2021 - 07:41 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 3128 battles
ribbons earned but 0 dmg? not afk.
NO ribbons earned and 0 dmg? zero xp for them.

acrisis #8 Posted 30 March 2021 - 11:30 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 21710 battles
  • [III-C]

View PostTHERebrth, on 29 March 2021 - 11:44 PM, said:

There has been plenty of discussion on how to measure / detect and dose the approach.

Along the lines of: 

If somebody drove 0 miles or km, fires 0 shots and thus either got disconnected, crashed or went AFK = > 0 xp earned, 0 credits earned and pay for vehicle repairs. It is that simple. No ifs and or buts. No work done. You get nothing. WOWSB implemented this early on. And, I cannot wrap my head around it why WOTB still gives out rewards for doing nothing. 

( nor do I think the rewards for active play go far enough while being on the losing team, top three damage and xp while being on the losing team, while losing credits, here’s your 250 xp .... give me a break! ... but I digress

After more AFK, have the server send a friendly reminder / direct message notification with instructions that this has been detected a few times, how to fix crashes, get support, how to play fair as a team member by not disconnecting from the game, ...  

The above 0 xp and negative credits should prevent botting. 

If somebody does AFKs several battles in a row, by using a macro or clicker script = > less friendly direct message about abnormal activity, temp ban for an increasing number of hours, whether after manual review, or automatic.

The issue becomes when the users of the scripts, program them to include tank movement, where they have programmed a certain amount of movement ( drives in a certain direction till it hits an obstacle ) 

Just as with trolls and cheaters - generally speaking - the technology exists to deal with things in a very detailed way, some fully automated, some with manual review, ... 

It is a matter of deciding to simply do it. From WGs perpective this is probably a very minute problem, and it is random, can be to your advantage or disadvantage, juts like poor players ... so the problem fixes itself the next battle most likely. 

But why not at least make it AFK = zero rewards and negative on credits earned. That really ought to stop serial behavior. 

Some of us have opined about the person deliberately AFKing paying nnnn credits per tier to each player on their team. The trouble is detecting whether this was somebody multitasking ( taking a call, checking messages, ... ), intentionally dropping out, device crash, internet crash, ... and then we get to potential for server crash. The playing public would find it too punitive, bad reviews, ... even if veteran players would say, yep, I had to drop the game, I don’t mind losing 25k credits for that. 

But back to botting and unfair play. It is possible to have a few extra routines running on the client and the server, to at least make note of what is happening, then maybe with certain thresholds, add a “ flag “ to the account, so that if / when complaints come in ... the cs staff member is not just hearing one little report, does no investigation => no penalty ... 

And WG ought to be able to run their own version of a stats site like wotbstars, blitzstars; and filter out the worst of the worst performers. Botting and serial unfair play leaves very distinct tells in the stats, which show up very clearly in extremely poor performance numbers. Some of these folks have been highlighted over time. 

Other brain storm options have been mentioned before too, but of course may have severe technical hurdles, based on MM, server setup, etc

But, let’s say, you sit in the queue, waiting for the next battle, the server detected an afk for 20 or 30 secs in another game in that tier ... you have that tank, swoosh, you get injected into the afk’s seat and get to play in that battle. Probably not the best odds for winning, and people may not like the random nature, - hey I was grinding tank x with a certificate, I only have twenty min to play left - ... but maybe that could be compensated for with a bonus something just for doing it, extra bonus if you do well, double bonus if it is a win. Could be opt-in. If people can still win, it may work, if tjose games are a string of losses, probably nobody will like it ... but then what if they don’t count against your win rate? It is considered a special mode battle for you. 

Technology is there.

Options exist.

Brainstorming is fun. 

How big is the problem.

What are the simplest steps to minimize and prevent problems. 

BE     (+)   

> PingPlotter >  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified using PingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii | Blitz University | Basic Training | Mentor | Pingplotter Guy

THERebrth #9 Posted 30 March 2021 - 01:03 PM

• Players
  • 14161 battles
  • [GRNMO]

View Postacrisis, on 30 March 2021 - 05:30 AM, said:

There has been plenty of discussion on how to measure / detect and dose the approach.

Along the lines of: 

If somebody drove 0 miles or km, fires 0 shots and thus either got disconnected, crashed or went AFK = > 0 xp earned, 0 credits earned and pay for vehicle repairs. It is that simple. No ifs and or buts. No work done. You get nothing. WOWSB implemented this early on. And, I cannot wrap my head around it why WOTB still gives out rewards for doing nothing. 

( nor do I think the rewards for active play go far enough while being on the losing team, top three damage and xp while being on the losing team, while losing credits, here’s your 250 xp .... give me a break! ... but I digress

After more AFK, have the server send a friendly reminder / direct message notification with instructions that this has been detected a few times, how to fix crashes, get support, how to play fair as a team member by not disconnecting from the game, ...  

The above 0 xp and negative credits should prevent botting. 

If somebody does AFKs several battles in a row, by using a macro or clicker script = > less friendly direct message about abnormal activity, temp ban for an increasing number of hours, whether after manual review, or automatic.

The issue becomes when the users of the scripts, program them to include tank movement, where they have programmed a certain amount of movement ( drives in a certain direction till it hits an obstacle ) 

Just as with trolls and cheaters - generally speaking - the technology exists to deal with things in a very detailed way, some fully automated, some with manual review, ... 

It is a matter of deciding to simply do it. From WGs perpective this is probably a very minute problem, and it is random, can be to your advantage or disadvantage, juts like poor players ... so the problem fixes itself the next battle most likely. 

But why not at least make it AFK = zero rewards and negative on credits earned. That really ought to stop serial behavior. 

Some of us have opined about the person deliberately AFKing paying nnnn credits per tier to each player on their team. The trouble is detecting whether this was somebody multitasking ( taking a call, checking messages, ... ), intentionally dropping out, device crash, internet crash, ... and then we get to potential for server crash. The playing public would find it too punitive, bad reviews, ... even if veteran players would say, yep, I had to drop the game, I don’t mind losing 25k credits for that. 

But back to botting and unfair play. It is possible to have a few extra routines running on the client and the server, to at least make note of what is happening, then maybe with certain thresholds, add a “ flag “ to the account, so that if / when complaints come in ... the cs staff member is not just hearing one little report, does no investigation => no penalty ... 

And WG ought to be able to run their own version of a stats site like wotbstars, blitzstars; and filter out the worst of the worst performers. Botting and serial unfair play leaves very distinct tells in the stats, which show up very clearly in extremely poor performance numbers. Some of these folks have been highlighted over time. 

Other brain storm options have been mentioned before too, but of course may have severe technical hurdles, based on MM, server setup, etc

But, let’s say, you sit in the queue, waiting for the next battle, the server detected an afk for 20 or 30 secs in another game in that tier ... you have that tank, swoosh, you get injected into the afk’s seat and get to play in that battle. Probably not the best odds for winning, and people may not like the random nature, - hey I was grinding tank x with a certificate, I only have twenty min to play left - ... but maybe that could be compensated for with a bonus something just for doing it, extra bonus if you do well, double bonus if it is a win. Could be opt-in. If people can still win, it may work, if tjose games are a string of losses, probably nobody will like it ... but then what if they don’t count against your win rate? It is considered a special mode battle for you. 

Technology is there.

Options exist.

Brainstorming is fun. 

How big is the problem.

What are the simplest steps to minimize and prevent problems. 

At this point it almost feels pointless to discuss anything when wg are slow af, rarely listens and actually implements those things. I mean they can listen all they want but still not work on the glaring problems as soon as possible. Missiles took forever for them to fix even, taking a whole year just to say that "the statistics show that people only fired 2 missiles" or some other b-s for their reasoning for trying to balance them when the main issue was the mechanic itself in the first place.

And now even when wg have taken notice that the anihilator is broke, "its a prem so boo-hoo for ya". So many issues ffs

Raging Dumbo

acrisis #10 Posted 30 March 2021 - 02:02 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 21710 battles
  • [III-C]

Correct, they’re not as player centric as we all would like, when it comes to the issues we pretty much face weekly to daily. 

BE     (+)   

Bellatormonk #11 Posted 30 March 2021 - 04:25 PM

Tinfoil Knight

• Players
  • 38450 battles
No one cares what you Americans think.  So stop trying to influence the game.

RonaldusMaximus_ #12 Posted 30 March 2021 - 04:36 PM

Self-Righteous Prick, and Annihilator PR Manager

• Players
  • 20032 battles
  • [III-C]

View PostBellatormonk, on 30 March 2021 - 11:25 AM, said:

About time somebody said that!

Complaining spoiled whiners.

_Crusader6_ #13 Posted 30 March 2021 - 05:13 PM

Please don’t go to town.

• Players
  • 78400 battles
  • [III-P]

View PostBellatormonk, on 30 March 2021 - 11:25 AM, said:

View PostRonaldusMaximus_, on 30 March 2021 - 11:36 AM, said:

About time somebody said that!

Complaining spoiled whiners.

According to Ribble we aren’t nearly as whiny as we think.   
    Other servers have taken our god given right to be spoiled and privileged and are just as whiny as us these days.  

Sad, not only did we spread freedom in the 80’s we now seem to have exported millennials.  

I hate Annihilator spammers...  

Tank Hoarder: 463 tanks in Garage:  480/480 Played Tanks Aced

I need more tanks...

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

THERebrth #14 Posted 30 March 2021 - 07:44 PM

• Players
  • 14161 battles
  • [GRNMO]

Even if wg doesnt fix everything, if we didnt whine or discussed complaints, the game would be in a worse position than it is now. So I guess there are at least some benefits for overly whining 

Imagine if missiles were still around because no one complained about it....

Edited by THERebrth, 30 March 2021 - 07:44 PM.

Raging Dumbo

originalmadkilla #15 Posted 30 March 2021 - 08:46 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 16575 battles
  • [OMK]

How hard can it be to detect an AFK player?:playing:

Any half intelligent human can detect an AFK or suspect player within a matter of seconds. What future is there for computer AI, if a dumb computer can't even figure out who is AFK and who is not?

I can't imagine that it is difficult to write some lines of code to detect suspicious/AFK players and take the appropriate actions against them.

I remember many years ago when quite a few forum members were defending AFK players. "Had to take a phonecall", "have a baby", "my dog", "bad internet connection", "blah blah blah".

If somebody is preoccupied with other things or if they have technical difficulties, then don't join a match. All AFK players should be treated the same. AFK is AFK, your alleged reasons and/or excuses are irrelevant.:justwait:

RonaldusMaximus_ #16 Posted 30 March 2021 - 08:50 PM

Self-Righteous Prick, and Annihilator PR Manager

• Players
  • 20032 battles
  • [III-C]

View Postoriginalmadkilla, on 30 March 2021 - 03:46 PM, said:

How hard can it be to detect an AFK player?:playing:

Any half intelligent human can detect an AFK or suspect player within a matter of seconds. What future is there for computer AI, if a dumb computer can't even figure out who is AFK and who is not?

I can't imagine that it is difficult to write some lines of code to detect suspicious/AFK players and take the appropriate actions against them.

I remember many years ago when quite a few forum members were defending AFK players. "Had to take a phonecall", "have a baby", "my dog", "bad internet connection", "blah blah blah".

If somebody is preoccupied with other things or if they have technical difficulties, then don't join a match. All AFK players should be treated the same. AFK is AFK, your alleged reasons and/or excuses are irrelevant.:justwait:

:medal:

Tenmilegamer #17 Posted 30 March 2021 - 09:34 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 47793 battles
  • [CTIRE]

I thought wargaming announced a policy a couple years ago to deal with people who didn't show up for battles. What happened? 

Bellatormonk #18 Posted 31 March 2021 - 04:57 PM

Tinfoil Knight

• Players
  • 38450 battles

View PostTenmilegamer, on 30 March 2021 - 09:34 PM, said:

I thought wargaming announced a policy a couple years ago to deal with people who didn't show up for battles. What happened? 

Cash grabs?

Also tagged with afk, problem

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users