Change My Mind: Which tier Xs should I go for?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: this is a tile (19 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 5 battle in order to participate this poll.

Which tier Xs should I go for?

1. Jg.Pz. E 100 (7 votes [12.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.28%

2. Grille 15 (7 votes [12.28%] - View)

3. Obj. 268 (7 votes [12.28%] - View)

4. IS-7 (4 votes [7.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.02%

5. M48 Patton (5 votes [8.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.77%

6. FV215b (9 votes [15.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

7. FV215b (183) (4 votes [7.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.02%

8. Bat-Chat 25t (3 votes [5.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

9. WZ-113G FT (1 vote [1.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.75%

10. FV4202 (7 votes [12.28%] - View)

11. T110E4 (3 votes [5.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

Vote Hide poll

KempBushThe3rd #1 Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:24 PM

my words sometimes mean things

• Players
  • 20230 battles
  • [-PYX-]

I'm SUPER close to getting all the tier Xs that I want (I have over 100M credits saved up to buy 7 tier Xs and 11 tier IXs when the next tech tree discounts hit), but I have a list of tank lines that I don't have much interest progressing up. I'll explain why I'm not interested in each tank, and your job is to either confirm my suspicions or convince me that I'm wrong. Also, if any tank in the line before the tier X is worth getting, tell me that too.

Jg.Pz. E 100 (Tier IX Jagdtiger purchased)

The idea of an 800 alpha gun sounds nice, but compared to the E 100, you're giving up almost 800 hitpoints, a bit of gun handling, a bit of mobility, and the turret. I'm skeptical that the trade-off is worth it.

Grille 15 (Tier IX WT auf Pz. IV purchased)

A lot of reputable players and YouTubers such as Batchat, Droodles (kinda), and HRF think that the WT at tier 9 is way better than the Grille at tier 10. The main problems with the tank are its horrible camo, horrible gun depression, and lack of fully traversable turret. Yeah, it has amazing accuracy, but it doesn't matter if you can't even properly utilize it, not to mention that the WT now has reticle calibration.

Progetto 65 (Tier IX Standard B purchased)

Okay, before you guys flame me for this, I acknowledge that this is an amazing tier X medium. Problem is, IMO, the Standard B is just straight up an overpowered tank. Going from tier 9 to tier 10, you're trading away a degree of gun depression, a ton of shell velocity, and gun handling to get... some troll armor. I won't include this in the poll because otherwise everyone would choose it, and I might just end up slow grinding this tank, but discuss anyway.

Obj. 268 (Tier IX Obj. 704 researched)

This tank just doesn't seem that particularly interesting to me for some reason. Yeah, it has very troll armor and great mobility, but honestly other than that, it doesn't seem like it does anything too special or exciting.

IS-7 (Tier IX IS-8 researched)

Ammo rack, 'nuff said. Okay, maybe not, but overall the tank is just outclassed by tanks like the IS-4 and T110E5, the gun handling is only a smidge better than a fricking E 100, and if I wanted speed I'd take a WZ-113 instead. Not to mention that I'm skeptical of the IS-8.

M48 Patton (Tier VIII Pershing researched)

I've said that the American medium line is the single most unappealing tech tree line in the entire game, and I still stand by that statement. The M48, I get the sense that it tries to be hybrid of the E 50 M and the STB-1 but fails at both miserably. Gun handling, last I checked, is mediocre, and for some reason the tank is bigger than the T110E5, a heavy tank of the same nation and tier. I just don't see any point in getting this tank.

FV215b (Tier VII Black Prince researched)

The tank seems to be a favorite of a lot of unicums, but I'm honestly not too convinced. It just sacrifices so much to get that good gun handling: armor, top speed, alpha is mediocre, for some reason it has worst-in-class dispersion on turret traverse, and it has a rear mounted turret. And then there's the Conqueror which has basically zero armor, and I dislike both the Centurion I and the FV301 so I doubt I'll have any luck with the Caernarvon. As for the Black Prince, I've heard a lot of good things about it. Having heavium P/W ratio with a 20km/h will be very annoying, but it has amazing DPM with usable penetration and gun handling (unlike the Comet) and good gun depression. I love the Matilda BP at tier 5 for its ability to just drive out in front of enemies, pop the adrenaline, and mow down anyone that sits in front it, so I might actually go for the Black Prince.

FV215b (183) (Tier VII AT 7 researched)

You guys already know, the tank can be fun but it's horrible for winning. And the Tortoise looks to be the worst tank in all of tier 9, so if I ever go for the 183, I might just free XP past it entirely. But what do you guys think of the AT 15? I'm kinda interested in it for mostly the same reasons as the Black Prince.

Bat-Chat 25t (Tier IX B-C 25t AP will be purchased)

The tank hasn't been doing too hot for quite a while now, and now the TVP has pretty much made the tank mostly obsolete. The Tier 9 Bat-Chat, at least on paper, seems to be better tier-for-tier because it keeps the same clip potential but one tier lower, and I'm guessing the AMX 13 90 offers a better experience because of its smaller profile, slightly shorter intraclip, and slightly less prominent heavy meta at tier 8.

WZ-113G FT (Tier VIII WZ-111-1G FT will be purchased)

Do I really need to say anything about this tank? Is the tier 9 anything special?

FV4202 (Tier IX Centurion 7/1 will be purchased)

I thought this tank and the Cent 7/1 had the exact same gun handling, but turns out the Cent has worst-in-class dispersion on turret traverse and the FV4202 improves it by quite a bit. Regardless, the Cent still has the exact same HESH as the FV but an entire tier lower, and it also has way better turret armor. I don't think having better frontal hull armor, speed, and DPM makes up for the paper turret, having to fight tier 10s every game, and losing out on seeing tier 8.

T110E4 (Tier IX T30 will be purchased)

Back in the day, this tank was compared to the E 100 because they have the same alpha and similar turret armor weaknesses. These days, the E 100 wins because of its hitpoints, and it's practically a downgrade from the T30 just because of the lack of gun depression and fully traversable turret.

Ronin_23 #2 Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:11 PM

Bot

• Players
  • 28452 battles
  • [TENET]

View PostKempBushThe3rd, on 07 April 2021 - 12:24 PM, said:

The 800 is worth it* because of the ability to sidescrape and intimidate tanks like nothing else. *if you enjoy aggressive TD gameplay

You're right.

Was better before the nerf. Now the gun stats and mobility are so painful I never play it.

Foch is better.

Outclassed by WZ-111-5A but if you enjoy Russian heavies with more alpha and blyatiful side bounces it's not terrible.

You're right.

Black Prince remains the highlight of the line. 215b was best before the other heavies got their hp buffed. At that time the 215b got its hp nerfed and only partially got it back for the class buff. Kinda lame. Still kind of fun as a unique tank though IMO. Not much in the way of rear-mounts and all of them have something worthwhile to me.

I free XPed up the entire line and it remains one of my best purchases in the game. Meme tank, but excellent for chilling and letting 1400 damage shots rip across the map (or right up close if you have a nutsack!).

The tier 9 was more fun for me but I actually like the BatChat. Light tank camo and a manageable clip reload separate it from the harder-to-play TVP. Worth getting and I think playing the tier 9 might be fun enough that you'll grind it out with ease.

Only tier 10 I haven't purchased yet because the 9 is better and I just don't have the motivation. 

Worth purchasing with the caveat that you have to play it very cautiously. The turret is weak but that forces you to flank and the games where you can just fire off HESH all the time are incredibly rewarding for me. Tank suffers from MM at times.

One of my last tier 10 acquisitions just for the Snoopy on the camo. Haven't played it a lot but the E3 seems better in every way. T30 was fine but I thought the gun handling was just so lackluster compared to the WT so I didn't love it like some do. Not a bad line but I'm skeptical the 10 was worth the payoff. e18989 has a different opinion though and I respect him so maybe I just haven't learned to play the tank well yet.

I cast my votes for JgPz, Batchat, FV4202, and FV215b. 183 would have been the 5th vote but it's a tank that you have to want.

Edited by Ronin_23, 07 April 2021 - 07:13 PM.

Ddbro_gaming #3 Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:23 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9049 battles
  • [UNI0N]
I feel like the jgpz e100 is a lot better than people give it credit for, its a great damage farming, I just got the grille, and I hate it with a passion, and im not really a great player by any means, but I liked the IS-7 quite a lot, and if you hide the lower plate the IS-7 is an incredibly tough pen, and for the 2 years I've had it, I've never been ammoracked in it.

_Crusader6_ #4 Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:30 PM

There is no Society- go back to sleep.

• Players
  • 74949 battles
  • [-EXP-]

My votes:

M48 Patton: it isn’t nearly as bad as most say.  It’s a good hack of all trades med. 
   It’s my second most played medium tank at 1k games (after the Obj 140).  
 The heavy buff hurt it but I’m still in the 63-65% zone in my 30-90 day. 

215b: This was my first 60%+ tier X tank, it’s a fantastic damage dealer - while not a typical heavy it has great DPM and a fantastic gun. 

IS-7: When one decides it’s a med killer the pen issues go away.   It’s got effective armor and mobility to bully meds and can flank super heavies or side hug if it gets close combat.  

FV4202: While not easy, it’s fun and the HESH is absolutely glorious.   

My 5th vote would be the Prog as it replaced my 4202 as highest dmg med (but not highest WR med).  Not as enjoyable as pre nerf, but still a great pub game tank.  

I hate Annihilator spammers...  

Tank Hoarder: 437 tanks in Garage:  453/456 Played Tanks Aced

I need more tanks...

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

thenerfdude #5 Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:35 PM

Ramming Speed!

• Players
  • 34550 battles
  • [_AUS_]

Just don't go for the Wz 113ft

I want to bring my pet teir 2 to teir 10 one more time 

_Bland #6 Posted 07 April 2021 - 10:15 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 7714 battles
  • [L0YAL]

View Postthenerfdude, on 07 April 2021 - 02:35 PM, said:

Just don't go for the Wz 113ft

Why not?  seems kinda boring, but decent.  Heavy armor and 640 alpha

TOG II + floaties + boat engine= mobile island

__Frostbite #7 Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:07 AM

Cold as Ice

• Players
  • 33407 battles
  • [_V_]
i voted for the E4 just for memes, but I would highly recommend going for a line that is fun for you. Try not to look how competitive a tank is, just as long as its really fun and enjoyable to play. Like Crusader said, if you like the hulldown mediums, try the M48 Patton. Its not the best tank but it still can be a fun one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join WoT Blitz's official English Discord server!!

PM me in-game, on the forums, or on Discord (Frostbite#7267) if you have any questions about WoT Blitz

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_Wikipedia #8 Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:41 AM

usles

• Players
  • 12324 battles
  • [KR0N0]

Grille 15: Your gun is both your means of doing and blocking damage, poor camo and decent mobility kind of makes the Grille a tier ten Skorpion.

FV4202: HESH DPM is pretty broken, mobile enough, and troll armor.

FV215b: A high ceiling heavium with DPM, cheap HESH, decent turret, 7 degrees of GD, and special consumables/provisions.

Did not use the forth vote.

Edited by _Wikipedia, 08 April 2021 - 12:41 AM.

The legend himself: https://www.twitch.tv/dsteves

Do not have an average tier of 6-8 if you want to cry.

KempBushThe3rd #9 Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:53 AM

• Players
  • 20230 battles
  • [-PYX-]

Hmm, a lot more votes for the FV4202 than I thought. I took another look at the stats and the Cent 7/1 has worst-in-class DPM and the HESH just barely makes up for it. I'll see how I like the Cent, and afterward I'll go for the FV for the massive increase in DPM.

View Post_Crusader6_, on 07 April 2021 - 02:30 PM, said:

IS-7: When one decides it’s a med killer the pen issues go away.   It’s got effective armor and mobility to bully meds and can flank super heavies or side hug if it gets close combat.  

I disliked the IS-2 and WZ-110 despite doing very well in both. Poor gun handling on a heavium is just... bleh. Guess that answers my question on the IS-7.

View Post__Frostbite, on 07 April 2021 - 07:07 PM, said:

i voted for the E4 just for memes, but I would highly recommend going for a line that is fun for you. Try not to look how competitive a tank is, just as long as its really fun and enjoyable to play. Like Crusader said, if you like the hulldown mediums, try the M48 Patton. Its not the best tank but it still can be a fun one.

Oooh, good point. I value unique playstyles, so that should help the case for the three British tanks I have listed (M48 and Obj 268 are the complete opposite of unique IMO).

Schumacherjames00 #10 Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:05 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 1466 battles
  • [8PZ_D]
Grille. U can do massive damage and it has good reload time. For a lot of other tanks with 640 HP of damage, you will find that the enemy is behind a rock when you reaload, and killed by teammates when you aim. Grille can aim with good dispersion  and ok aiming time. Also you have GREAT mobility. Unlike some of the other tank destroyers, you can ram and relocate with ease.

Schumacherjames00 #11 Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:09 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 1466 battles
  • [8PZ_D]

View PostKempBushThe3rd, on 07 April 2021 - 01:24 PM, said:

I'm SUPER close to getting all the tier Xs that I want (I have over 100M credits saved up to buy 7 tier Xs and 11 tier IXs when the next tech tree discounts hit), but I have a list of tank lines that I don't have much interest progressing up. I'll explain why I'm not interested in each tank, and your job is to either confirm my suspicions or convince me that I'm wrong. Also, if any tank in the line before the tier X is worth getting, tell me that too.

The idea of an 800 alpha gun sounds nice, but compared to the E 100, you're giving up almost 800 hitpoints, a bit of gun handling, a bit of mobility, and the turret. I'm skeptical that the trade-off is worth it.

A lot of reputable players and YouTubers such as Batchat, Droodles (kinda), and HRF think that the WT at tier 9 is way better than the Grille at tier 10. The main problems with the tank are its horrible camo, horrible gun depression, and lack of fully traversable turret. Yeah, it has amazing accuracy, but it doesn't matter if you can't even properly utilize it, not to mention that the WT now has reticle calibration.

Okay, before you guys flame me for this, I acknowledge that this is an amazing tier X medium. Problem is, IMO, the Standard B is just straight up an overpowered tank. Going from tier 9 to tier 10, you're trading away a degree of gun depression, a ton of shell velocity, and gun handling to get... some troll armor. I won't include this in the poll because otherwise everyone would choose it, and I might just end up slow grinding this tank, but discuss anyway.

This tank just doesn't seem that particularly interesting to me for some reason. Yeah, it has very troll armor and great mobility, but honestly other than that, it doesn't seem like it does anything too special or exciting.

Ammo rack, 'nuff said. Okay, maybe not, but overall the tank is just outclassed by tanks like the IS-4 and T110E5, the gun handling is only a smidge better than a fricking E 100, and if I wanted speed I'd take a WZ-113 instead. Not to mention that I'm skeptical of the IS-8.

I've said that the American medium line is the single most unappealing tech tree line in the entire game, and I still stand by that statement. The M48, I get the sense that it tries to be hybrid of the E 50 M and the STB-1 but fails at both miserably. Gun handling, last I checked, is mediocre, and for some reason the tank is bigger than the T110E5, a heavy tank of the same nation and tier. I just don't see any point in getting this tank.

The tank seems to be a favorite of a lot of unicums, but I'm honestly not too convinced. It just sacrifices so much to get that good gun handling: armor, top speed, alpha is mediocre, for some reason it has worst-in-class dispersion on turret traverse, and it has a rear mounted turret. And then there's the Conqueror which has basically zero armor, and I dislike both the Centurion I and the FV301 so I doubt I'll have any luck with the Caernarvon. As for the Black Prince, I've heard a lot of good things about it. Having heavium P/W ratio with a 20km/h will be very annoying, but it has amazing DPM with usable penetration and gun handling (unlike the Comet) and good gun depression. I love the Matilda BP at tier 5 for its ability to just drive out in front of enemies, pop the adrenaline, and mow down anyone that sits in front it, so I might actually go for the Black Prince.

You guys already know, the tank can be fun but it's horrible for winning. And the Tortoise looks to be the worst tank in all of tier 9, so if I ever go for the 183, I might just free XP past it entirely. But what do you guys think of the AT 15? I'm kinda interested in it for mostly the same reasons as the Black Prince.

The tank hasn't been doing too hot for quite a while now, and now the TVP has pretty much made the tank mostly obsolete. The Tier 9 Bat-Chat, at least on paper, seems to be better tier-for-tier because it keeps the same clip potential but one tier lower, and I'm guessing the AMX 13 90 offers a better experience because of its smaller profile, slightly shorter intraclip, and slightly less prominent heavy meta at tier 8.

Do I really need to say anything about this tank? Is the tier 9 anything special?

I thought this tank and the Cent 7/1 had the exact same gun handling, but turns out the Cent has worst-in-class dispersion on turret traverse and the FV4202 improves it by quite a bit. Regardless, the Cent still has the exact same HESH as the FV but an entire tier lower, and it also has way better turret armor. I don't think having better frontal hull armor, speed, and DPM makes up for the paper turret, having to fight tier 10s every game, and losing out on seeing tier 8.

Back in the day, this tank was compared to the E 100 because they have the same alpha and similar turret armor weaknesses. These days, the E 100 wins because of its hitpoints, and it's practically a downgrade from the T30 just because of the lack of gun depression and fully traversable turret.

Tortoise is a good tank. It is near the best DPM and good armor. The only problem is that u can’t relocate around the map.

whatzup22 #12 Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:15 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3091 battles
  • [FOIL]

View PostSchumacherjames00, on 08 April 2021 - 08:09 PM, said:

Tortoise is a good tank. It is near the best DPM and good armor. The only problem is that u can’t relocate around the map.

IMO the Jagdtiger performs better than the Tortoise in nearly every aspect: Mobility, firepower and armor.

Next tank in line is the Jg Pz E 100, but I dont know whether it is any good.

_Crusader6_ #13 Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:26 PM

• Players
  • 74949 battles
  • [-EXP-]

View PostSchumacherjames00, on 08 April 2021 - 07:05 AM, said:

Grille. U can do massive damage and it has good reload time. For a lot of other tanks with 640 HP of damage, you will find that the enemy is behind a rock when you reaload, and killed by teammates when you aim. Grille can aim with good dispersion  and ok aiming time. Also you have GREAT mobility. Unlike some of the other tank destroyers, you can ram and relocate with ease.

View PostSchumacherjames00, on 08 April 2021 - 07:09 AM, said:

You really shouldn’t give any advice whatsoever, and go on read only mode for awhile.  

Given tier 8 is your highest tier, and you manage a 36% WR and 644 damage in tier 8, you have zero credibility making any comments.   
It was easy to see reading your comments that you didn’t have a clue, which lead me to looking you up.   

I need more tanks...

KempBushThe3rd #14 Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:56 PM

• Players
  • 20230 battles
  • [-PYX-]

View PostSchumacherjames00, on 08 April 2021 - 07:05 AM, said:

Grille. U can ram

View PostSchumacherjames00, on 08 April 2021 - 07:09 AM, said:

Tortoise is a good tank. It is good armor.

Yeah... these are enough for me to completely disregard your opinion. Also see what Crusader6 said.

Schumacherjames00 #15 Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:42 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 1466 battles
  • [8PZ_D]

View Post_Crusader6_, on 08 April 2021 - 08:26 AM, said:

You really shouldn’t give any advice whatsoever, and go on read only mode for awhile.  

Given tier 8 is your highest tier, and you manage a 36% WR and 644 damage in tier 8, you have zero credibility making any comments.   
It was easy to see reading your comments that you didn’t have a clue, which lead me to looking you up.   

well i look at the stats. That is how the tank works, so i know how easy it is to maneuver, reload time, damage, HP, armor etc 

_Crusader6_ #16 Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:56 PM

• Players
  • 74949 battles
  • [-EXP-]

View PostSchumacherjames00, on 08 April 2021 - 08:42 AM, said:

well i look at the stats. That is how the tank works, so i know how easy it is to maneuver, reload time, damage, HP, armor etc 

No you don’t.   
   Paper stats are often misleading as the game doesn’t give you all the relevant info.   
 The Tortoise has terrible armor, while it looks good in paper comparison as all WG does is so base armor thickness. 
The in game stats don’t show angles, and how do tanks with ‘less armor’ actually have more armor due to the angle giving more effective armor.  
   The Grille is another tank that paper alone doesn’t give you useful info. The limited depression, and aiming arc of the turret compounded by poor traverse and bad camo mean it’s got significant shortcomings.  

I need more tanks...

whatzup22 #17 Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:58 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3091 battles
  • [FOIL]

View PostSchumacherjames00, on 08 April 2021 - 09:42 PM, said:

Unforturnately, you did not look deep enough. Tortoise’s firepower is decent but not best and its armor is trash against tier 9s.

Schumacherjames00 #18 Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:04 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 1466 battles
  • [8PZ_D]

View Postwhatzup22, on 08 April 2021 - 09:58 AM, said:

Unforturnately, you did not look deep enough. Tortoise’s firepower is decent but not best and its armor is trash against tier 9s.

oh i think I’m mixing it up with AT 15

thenerfdude #19 Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:12 PM

Ramming Speed!

• Players
  • 34550 battles
  • [_AUS_]

View Post_Bland, on 08 April 2021 - 12:15 AM, said:

Why not?  seems kinda boring, but decent.  Heavy armor and 640 alpha

Heavy armor that only works when you are face on, hiding your lower plate and your enemy is not loading gold.

The armor is useless, and the gun is nothing special.

I want to bring my pet teir 2 to teir 10 one more time 

_Crusader6_ #20 Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:16 PM

• Players
  • 74949 battles
  • [-EXP-]

View Postthenerfdude, on 08 April 2021 - 09:12 AM, said:

Heavy armor that only works when you are face on, hiding your lower plate and your enemy is not loading gold.

The armor is useless, and the gun is nothing special.

Well I’d say the gun is short bus special. Generally it’s just a worse Obj 268. 

I need more tanks...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users