The O-47 gun caliber might not match it's in-game model (buff suggestion)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Rockracer #1 Posted 01 July 2021 - 10:40 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10807 battles

I have bought the O-47 from that last deal, and do not regret it one bit, the thing's lovely to play.

Anyway, looking at it enough has made me notice a little odd thing with its gun: it's way too large to be just a 90mm.

This isn't a problem though, I see it as an opportunity.

To make sure it wasn't just drugs messing with my already bad sight, I went around to test, and thanks to MS paint, and the T32 with its 90mm gun equipped, I set up a very rudimentary comparison, and the results actually confirmed my thoughts.

Diameter test

The T32, on it's inner bore, had 56 pixels of diameter,

and the O-47, on the other hand, had 63 pixels.

To make those pixel measures worth anything, they had to be converted to millimeters.

We can set up that one proportion formula from middle school, and get the following results:

if 56 -> 90mm

then 63 -> ~101mm

Now, I may be very wrong in this testing, and would love to be corrected with another find, but here's the fun part: the O-47 is a fantasy tank, so the gun isn't supposed to be a specific caliber. 

This means that the model not matching doesn't make any difference overall, but it also means that there's nothing keeping the game from changing it's functionality.

What if it was buffed to actually work as a 100mm?

As simple as changing the module name, increasing damage per shot, and then adjusting the DPM.

Since the tank is widely known as mediocre, I feel like it would be a nice way to draw attention to it. 100mm guns on mediums aren't anything new for the tier, or even the tier below it, but having one with great handling and accuracy could be an interesting addition to Blitz.

Edited by Rockracer, 02 July 2021 - 03:12 PM.

I played TDs before it was cool. It was also never cool to begin with.

AstoIfo #2 Posted 01 July 2021 - 11:34 PM

Beware of Traps

• Players
  • 15844 battles
  • [ZELDA]
I wouldn’t worry too much about gun size when it comes to fantasy tanks. The Vindicator has a gun girthy enough to put the 183 to shame, yet it doesn’t have 930 alpha and it considered a 152mm. 

Failure is life's greatest teacher. Once you accept failure, and learn from it, you will know success.

7ero #3 Posted 01 July 2021 - 11:43 PM

That fine line between constructive criticism and a forum strike

• Players
  • 51176 battles
  • [SRT]
It’s designed to look like a Japanese mech by an anime artist if I’m correct.  Don’t read too much into it.  

“ Mm sucks just like u r face. Now Go cry on tissue not here.” ~ raj

Handsome_Squidward_ #4 Posted 02 July 2021 - 01:13 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 999 battles
  • [PRD]

Artistic license on a fantasy tank.

Also tank video game.

WoT PC Defector

Morphman11 #5 Posted 02 July 2021 - 03:43 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 32 battles
Measuring via pixels is highly inaccurate unless you have 2 objects from a known point.
OFFFICIAL PUBLIC RELATIONS for the Morphman YouTube Channel

Rockracer #6 Posted 02 July 2021 - 03:04 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10807 battles

View PostAstoIfo, on 01 July 2021 - 08:34 PM, said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about gun size when it comes to fantasy tanks. The Vindicator has a gun girthy enough to put the 183 to shame, yet it doesn’t have 930 alpha and it considered a 152mm. 

Good point, but I'd argue the Vindicator's case is completely different from a practical standpoint. I'd assume it works as a 152mm for the sake of balance, since it if it was accurate to the model, it would be as ridiculous as you pointed out.

but then again it's tier 7 fantasy tanks so WG might as well eventually add a thousand alpha gun there

The 47 has a difference of 10% or so to it's functional caliber, so in balancing terms, turning it into a 100mm could go just fine, or at least that's what I thought.

View Postvirus_SHAME, on 01 July 2021 - 10:13 PM, said:

Artistic license on a fantasy tank.

Also tank video game.

Sure, it absolutely is not a big deal, but this isn't a nitpick that goes "oh boohoo the gun is inaccurate to its model", I apologize if it sounds like that, anyway.

The intention of the post was to focus on the suggestion possibility, that maybe it could be a decent coincidence excuse for a buff.

View PostMorphman11, on 02 July 2021 - 12:43 AM, said:

Measuring via pixels is highly inaccurate unless you have 2 objects from a known point.

The known point was getting both of them at nearly the same angle, and more importantly as close as possible to camera, while lined up with the HUD.

I can see it not being extremely accurate, but would it be inaccurate enough to make up a 10% difference when they are so closely placed?

I played TDs before it was cool. It was also never cool to begin with.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users