Someone Save Me From Breaking My Device

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

___ImUrHuckleberry #1 Posted 13 August 2021 - 04:43 AM

I need ammunition, not a ride.

• Players
  • 17745 battles

Okay, I've never experienced major issues with connectivity-ever. I took a break from Blitz for a while and I'm just now starting to get back into it. The problem besides the looney bin meta due to numpties, is that now i have to deal with packet loss of 2-8% every.single.game?! I'm bewildered as to what to do about it since my ISP assures me everything is fine despite me mentioning the horrible jumps in hops 6, 7 when i use pingplotter. I do get some minor buffering during streaming lately but nothing major. I'm on Frontier 500 mbps plan. No traffic, as it's literally just me. Can anyone explain how do I figure out how to go about this? Literally every single game for 1-2 months now has been borderline unplayable. I reset, switch from steam to windows, power cycle, router exchange, troubleshooted up the wazoo, and zero C.S from Frontier. Help, please.

Oh, and to add insult to injury I've now had 2 experiences just today that have no explanation for me. In the middle of a game, all my control settings reverted back to circa-2018ish. Everything! I kept hitting my adrenaline button and calling for focus fire and...nothing! How is that possible?! Only thing I could think of is that I hit the settings reset button, but doesn't that switch to default settings and not my old settings? Icing on the cake, we get a draw because both sides were camping heavies at opposite corners of the map! All that HP to farm, for shame.

At wits end,

Roberto577_One #2 Posted 13 August 2021 - 04:48 AM

Chungus Supreme

• Players
  • 17562 battles

I've been dealing with 10-15% lately. 2-8% ain't that bad. Just sayin'.

Although I suppose I should be more helpful and constructive... This thread has a lot of useful info regarding packet loss: http://forum.wotblit...aq-qa-and-more/

Edited by Roberto577_One, 13 August 2021 - 05:01 AM.

Anti-crate since 1958

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube....Zl5l-lTjx3z-g7g

___ImUrHuckleberry #3 Posted 13 August 2021 - 05:07 AM

• Players
  • 17745 battles

View PostRoberto577_One, on 12 August 2021 - 08:48 PM, said:

I've been dealing with 10-15% lately. 2-8% ain't that bad. Just sayin'.

Good on you for being young and resilient, I guess? There's masochists everywhere, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. My issue isn't just the lag, it's the intermittent great visual to matrix glitches.

My ping has always been at 10-20, so the neo-like movement in the middle of brawling is quite disorientating and truly makes it unplayable for me. 

I remember Bushka playing on horrible ping and such, but it went from bad to really bad. Somehow I think that's easier on the senses then going from pristine to Picasso artwork. 

Roberto577_One #4 Posted 13 August 2021 - 05:12 AM

Chungus Supreme

• Players
  • 17562 battles

View PostYouHaveAbeeOnUrHatch, on 12 August 2021 - 09:07 PM, said:

Good on you for being young and resilient, I guess? There's masochists everywhere, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. My issue isn't just the lag, it's the intermittent great visual to matrix glitches.

My ping has always been at 10-20, so the neo-like movement in the middle of brawling is quite disorientating and truly makes it unplayable for me. 

I remember Bushka playing on horrible ping and such, but it went from bad to really bad. Somehow I think that's easier on the senses then going from pristine to Picasso artwork. 

See edit.

Anti-crate since 1958

Roberto577_One #5 Posted 13 August 2021 - 05:21 AM

Chungus Supreme

• Players
  • 17562 battles
Adding a useless reply so that we have equal number of replies, 1,177 :P

Anti-crate since 1958

___ImUrHuckleberry #6 Posted 13 August 2021 - 05:58 AM

• Players
  • 17745 battles

I went ahead and re-scanned with pingplotter, and i must've been drunk because now all my packet loss seems to be at WG's end? Acrisis, Acrisis, Acrisis-hope it works:

Was the ISP correct for a change?

8w9Pm89.jpeg

Handsome_Squidward_ #7 Posted 13 August 2021 - 09:10 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 999 battles
  • [PRD]
500 up/down Frontier? I have that. Was having awful loss (20% +) on wifi. Slapped an Ethernet cord into my Alienware Alpha and now I’m down to 1-3% packet loss occasionally.  I’ve also encountered issues where my tank would suddenly just start driving in a circle and I get blasted to oblivion. Half the time I’d get a disconnect error even though I’d have full internet connection. 

1-3% still feels pretty bad for such a good connection. Even my Ryzen 5600X rig which is hardwired is giving me packet loss issues.

Edited by Handsome_Squidward_, 13 August 2021 - 09:14 AM.

WoT PC Defector

acrisis #8 Posted 13 August 2021 - 11:02 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 22200 battles
  • [III-C]

Yes, small packet loss somewhere close on Frontier and then the WG server at the end.
Extremely rare to see that one.

That would indicate a full on outage … but checking a couple discord’s, wg discord and the forum … I am not seeing other complaints.

And, oddly pingplotter for you doesn’t show the equipment at the data center before the server, that is not ping-able. 

Example: 

One thing that comes to mind, is that the “ server “ is not just a single entity, but a multitude of systems that are now split up into two clusters. login0 and login1. So, thinking about “outage” - which are extremely rare - what if it actually was the login1 cluster that was offline for some maintenance, or simply getting rebooted? 

The key to your connection diagnosis will be to do it a few times, let it run for a bit longer ( not just a snapshot ) and see what happens, try the login0. 

BE     (+)   
>> Desktop mode  =>  + Recent topics   + Staff Posts 
    > WG Bugs & current update   > Feedback  
 > Videos   > Vehicle Bay   > Guides    

> PingPlotter >  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified using PingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii | Blitz University | Basic Training | Mentor | Pingplotter Guy

___ImUrHuckleberry #9 Posted 13 August 2021 - 11:11 AM

• Players
  • 17745 battles

View PostHandsome_Squidward_, on 13 August 2021 - 01:10 AM, said:

500 up/down Frontier? I have that. Was having awful loss (20% +) on wifi. Slapped an Ethernet cord into my Alienware Alpha and now I’m down to 1-3% packet loss occasionally.  I’ve also encountered issues where my tank would suddenly just start driving in a circle and I get blasted to oblivion. Half the time I’d get a disconnect error even though I’d have full internet connection. 

1-3% still feels pretty bad for such a good connection. Even my Ryzen 5600X rig which is hardwired is giving me packet loss issues.

I did recently switch to Wi-Fi to better accommodate a recent redecoration. I went ahead and bought an extended ethernet cable to reach the desktop I use. I was told that extra 10-12' path of resistance eats into the speed...Come to think of it, it was around the time I took a break from playing. I did indeed switch to WiFi once i started getting bad ping and packet loss when i came back from my hiatus. 

EDIT: acrisis, I forgot to add the follow-up screenshot:

t2F7UBQ.jpeg

Edited by YouHaveAbeeOnUrHatch, 13 August 2021 - 11:12 AM.

_Crusader6_ #10 Posted 13 August 2021 - 11:56 AM

St. Javelin: NLAW we Trust

• Players
  • 88410 battles
  • [III]

If you have packet loss at the start, some programs (not PingPlotter) will also attribute that at the end.  

You aren’t getting a ping from the server in your screenshots - which makes it look like something else is off, or that gateway you have is bad.  

I hate Annihilator spammers...  
Tank Hoarder: 504 tanks in Garage:  517/519 Played Tanks Aced

376 extra garage slots too - lucky me. 

I need more tanks...

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

acrisis #11 Posted 13 August 2021 - 12:14 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 22200 battles
  • [III-C]

The follow up screenshot shows 74% loss where Frontier hands you over from their system to Level3. That is the likely culprit. It is quite typical to see issues  with the handover from one company to the next, somewhere along the line. 

Ethernet should outperform wireless when it comes to ping. An extra 10 to 12 feet of wire does not matter. If it were meters, then yeah, at the long end towards max certification, maybe. 300 ft or 100 m is the certified length. I have some runs in the 150+ range, some direct, some going through two switches, and I can’t really tell. It is like I’m plugged in directly. Of course this is cat 6 cable on gigabit gear, … and beyond a typical home setup and budget. 

My primary system, through two switches and two floors can find my router in <1ms average. 

My iPad finds the router through 1 access point or another, which are hardwired with 50 to 100 feet and one I think 150 ft, in about 2 to 3 ms. 

So, I am not worried about the length of the Ethernet cable.
Unless it were somehow damaged or of poor quality. The times I make my own, I test every crimp and length, just to be safe. 

And, WOTB uses next to no data, really, just a few KB/s. It needs about 2MB at startup to synchronize the account and load the news. Might be more for bigger garages, less for smaller ones, I ‘m guessing. And then it is somewhere 12-24KB/s in battle, to update tank positions, angles, aim, etc. 

The instances where the networking hardware of the device is an issue ( squidward ) are very few. 

The last line is still puzzling me, as I always get several blank lines from the gcore lab / host , and then the actual server line. 

Sample:

Edited by acrisis, 13 August 2021 - 12:24 PM.

BE     (+)   

> PingPlotter >  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified using PingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii | Blitz University | Basic Training | Mentor | Pingplotter Guy

_Crusader6_ #12 Posted 13 August 2021 - 12:30 PM

St. Javelin: NLAW we Trust

• Players
  • 88410 battles
  • [III]

Huck is using the old Login1 address, at 92.233.57.36

It is offline and no longer responsive

I hate Annihilator spammers...  
Tank Hoarder: 504 tanks in Garage:  517/519 Played Tanks Aced

376 extra garage slots too - lucky me. 

I need more tanks...

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

acrisis #13 Posted 13 August 2021 - 01:33 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 22200 battles
  • [III-C]

View Post_Crusader6_, on 13 August 2021 - 07:30 AM, said:

Huck is using the old Login1 address, at 92.233.57.36

It is offline and no longer responsive

Bingo!

He must be resuming an old session in pingplotter instead of starting a new one based on the text address. 

login0 ends in ...57.35

login1 ends in ...57.38

As, when you make a typo in the text address, it says it is invalid.

But when you use a fixed IP address, that still belongs to the GCORE LABS server pool, it just goes there, but may be equipment that is offline.

BE     (+)   

___ImUrHuckleberry #14 Posted 13 August 2021 - 02:02 PM

• Players
  • 17745 battles

Ok so I must add that while 12' is what i ended up needing, I was unsure of the ultimate desktop placement so I actually bought a 50' cable. I just rolled it neatly behind the bookcase in the corner. 

I just ran pingplotter with the Login0 connection:

EDIT: Currently using Wifi, as I switched the min I started getting lag (around the beginning of the Pandemic) with the cable. Since then it seems to have slowly gotten worse with time. Sometimes a quick power cycle/ router reset would hold water, but soon after it cycles back to bad everything. So I'm not even sure my tinkering does anything related to temporary fixes.

gZZdAWi.jpeg

Edited by YouHaveAbeeOnUrHatch, 13 August 2021 - 02:11 PM.

acrisis #15 Posted 13 August 2021 - 03:01 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 22200 battles
  • [III-C]

Now we're on track!

It takes you 2-4 ms to get to your wifi access point. 
Then we lose 0.6% to get to the modem.

And you get screwed with 95% loss where Frontier hands you over to Level3
(now owned by CenturyLink, but they don't switch names on the equipment) 

WG server is fine.

So, it is the routing from Frontier via Level 3 onto Cogent that needs fixing ... and there's a bit of a home issue.

For the big problem, unfortunately, Frontier is going to say, it is not us ... Experience tells me that the customer service at any telco/isp is inept and does not care. Been there done that many dozens of times. It would be an exception if you get to talk to a level 3 tech or engineering and they will do something for you ... still doubtful they'd get on the blower with Level3. And, as a lowly end user customer, you don't have any standing to call Level3/Cogent.  Which I say, also based on past experience, trying to get some stuff resolved ... like back in 2018 when every WOTB player was getting hosed by one of the backbone companies in Chicago. You cannot get through the call center or customer service without a contract number or being a client ... so I had to get creative with a small email campaign.

Solution?

Bug Frontier. Don't have expectations that they care, that they will understand the problem, that they will even forward a message or pickup the phone, ... YMMV. People in FL, including my family, got screwed over royally by Verizon / Frontier in FL and Verizon / Consolidated Communications in ME, and I stay as far away from them as I can.

Switch to another provider. Easier said than done with contracts, and monolopies & duopolies all over NA. Geographically, most covered area of NA has 1 option for fast internet. 

Try a VPN and set it to a city where you bypass LA? ... typically for gaming VPN will suck, but I have been able to bypass trouble spots, more as an experiment than real need. Often times it just all goes ploop, so don't get your hopes up that a VPN is a fix ... it is an idea ... that may or may not work. 

At home: 

What is your setup like at home, in terms of computer - switch - modem - ... free standing home, townhouse, apartment ... wifi interference from neighbors? 
You shouldn't be losing 0.5% at home.  

PS: 50 feet of cable vs 15 feet of cable is nothing to worry about. Coiled up is fine. One can't stretch cable, so it is normal to coil up the excess somewhere. If you are worried about overall throughput you could do a speedtest to see if you can max out your download and upload speed. Then if you have more than one system, see if you can get 100MB/s copy speed by copying a single large file from one system to another. Of course that may need further explanation as to how get that measurement. All my important systems have ethernet monitoring active :)  ... so I just need to glance at the top of the screen. 

Edited by acrisis, 13 August 2021 - 03:32 PM.

BE     (+)   

___ImUrHuckleberry #16 Posted 13 August 2021 - 04:04 PM

• Players
  • 17745 battles

First a disclaimer, I'm barely keeping up with the breakdown, as I'm just another noobie:

Home setup: computer was one of the entry-level "gaming" desktops- i believe brand iBuyPower; switch was something i never bothered with since i only have a Wi-Fi printer, unless the switch somehow helps in some way else; modem is the packaged standard combo thingy that one rents from them; free standing house in the SFV, as to neighbors, i would have no clue besides seeing a semi-congested lineup of available connections when seeking Wi-Fi on my tablet.

The speedtest results are always around the max for both up and down, 500/500; the last bit is alien to me, as expected haha.

Gonna stop smack dab in the juicy part to thank you for taking the time to explain this to me, much obliged.

Handsome_Squidward_ #17 Posted 13 August 2021 - 05:16 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 999 battles
  • [PRD]
The computer nerd in me is enjoying the read. Tbh I’m running 25’ for the Alienware and 50’ for my Ryzen rig on Ethernet cable. Actually correction. The 50’ runs to a gigabit switch in my room that feeds the line to my Ryzen rig, along with a few console systems.

I’ve noticed far less degradation on my cables vs wifi. Just how it goes on my house. If the info they taught me in Network Admin/A+ Hardware is still accurate, you only really start seeing serious degradation at 75’-100’+ feet. But that was during the 10/100 days. Gigabit might be different.

Also super curious to what these iBuyPower specs are. I know recently they’ve been seeking “gaming rigs” with GT710s in them due to how bad the GPU market is. Lol.

Since my loss issue is much more sporadic, I definitely believe it’s a traffic issue since I’m in a suburban area.

Edited by Handsome_Squidward_, 13 August 2021 - 05:18 PM.

WoT PC Defector

___ImUrHuckleberry #18 Posted 13 August 2021 - 05:47 PM

• Players
  • 17745 battles

View PostHandsome_Squidward_, on 13 August 2021 - 09:16 AM, said:

The computer nerd in me is enjoying the read. Tbh I’m running 25’ for the Alienware and 50’ for my Ryzen rig on Ethernet cable. Actually correction. The 50’ runs to a gigabit switch in my room that feeds the line to my Ryzen rig, along with a few console systems.

I’ve noticed far less degradation on my cables vs wifi. Just how it goes on my house. If the info they taught me in Network Admin/A+ Hardware is still accurate, you only really start seeing serious degradation at 75’-100’+ feet. But that was during the 10/100 days. Gigabit might be different.

Also super curious to what these iBuyPower specs are. I know recently they’ve been seeking “gaming rigs” with GT710s in them due to how bad the GPU market is. Lol.

Since my loss issue is much more sporadic, I definitely believe it’s a traffic issue since I’m in a suburban area.

Mine is usually sporadic as well, it just took a nose dive at the Mariana Trench lately, and specs are as follows: iBUYPOWER - Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i5-9400F - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER - 1TB HDD + 240GB SSD - Black Best Buy because I'm too lazy for a trial and error rig I would never complete or do well anyway. 

acrisis #19 Posted 13 August 2021 - 05:57 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 22200 battles
  • [III-C]

There's a good reason that anything I can hardwire, I hardwire: far less interference issues, no edge of range issues, top speed wherever the cable ends and no worries about microwaves.  

Not all houses are the same.  Especially not when it comes to wireless communication. Learned that the hard when WiFi first and other 2.4 GHz stuff first came out.  I still have to explain it pretty much every day, that even though one has great wifi in several rooms inside, with careful placement of the router, that that does not translate to the front, sides and rear of the property outside of the house.  

Anyhow. 

Sounds, pretty basic, you have a standard combo box and just a wire from that to the computer that's 50ft long to cover 15ft? Or the ISP wifi. Same room, I presume. 

Sounds like a crappy all in one box ...  how old is it?
Is Frontier willing to exchange it?  (say it keeps dropping wifi or something) 

To deal with some WiFi congestion it would take some scanning and trying to figure out which channel might be best.
If you can, use 5Ghz. Microwaves won't nuke it. More channels, though less range and more issues with walls, etc. 

BE     (+)   

___ImUrHuckleberry #20 Posted 13 August 2021 - 06:19 PM

• Players
  • 17745 battles

View Postacrisis, on 13 August 2021 - 09:57 AM, said:

There's a good reason that anything I can hardwire, I hardwire: far less interference issues, no edge of range issues, top speed wherever the cable ends and no worries about microwaves.  

Not all houses are the same.  Especially not when it comes to wireless communication. Learned that the hard when WiFi first and other 2.4 GHz stuff first came out.  I still have to explain it pretty much every day, that even though one has great wifi in several rooms inside, with careful placement of the router, that that does not translate to the front, sides and rear of the property outside of the house.  

Anyhow. 

Sounds, pretty basic, you have a standard combo box and just a wire from that to the computer that's 50ft long to cover 15ft? Or the ISP wifi. Same room, I presume. 

Sounds like a crappy all in one box ...  how old is it?
Is Frontier willing to exchange it?  (say it keeps dropping wifi or something) 

To deal with some WiFi congestion it would take some scanning and trying to figure out which channel might be best.
If you can, use 5Ghz. Microwaves won't nuke it. More channels, though less range and more issues with walls, etc. 

If there's an appreciable change in performance or even remotely related to my connectivity issues, i'd start building one, but again, I was lazy and figured it was overkill considering I don't "game". I will look into it. The traffic is just me on the PC, and occasionally the tablet/phone on the side. And everything is 5G except the phone since it is plan C, as such, hardly gets play anyway. The router is set up in the living room, and i use the 5G Wi-Fi on the PC all but 12' away ever since the rearrangement and subsequent longer cable. The Modem/router box was switched out Jan. of this year when I annoyed them into a free exchange. I scanned for the better channels when i got the original one, but I didn't do all that with the replacement if I remember correctly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users