• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Phil44five #1 Posted 12 November 2021 - 05:03 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 34907 battles
  • [VALKY]

Happy belated Veteran's Day e-warriors!

Your friendly Phil44five here with a few reflections on what I've been seeing lately; An increase in 7-0 butt kickings, an increase players with 1200D being the top scorer on the team and of course an increase in the ever dreaded zero damage player . . .

This post is mainly for light tankers.  And even more specifically, light tankers on tiers 8, 9 and 10.

My biases include the Ru 251, T92E1 and the Leopard 1, which are the three tanks I play most frequently.

Caveats that will save you time: I have 27K games played, most of them in light tanks. I also have a dreaded 48% WR.  I don't care what you have to say about listening to 40%ers, I've seen 68% act like total nubs.  So say what you want but I believe these things to be true . . . 

Here are some things to consider when playing tiers 8-10 in a light tank:

1) Heavies and TDs think of you as a rodeo clown.  Your job, as they will put it, is to run around like a madman and risk taking damage from all directions before any of the enemy tanks are spotted.  This is a great risk to you lightly armored tank.  Do not buy into it.  Play your game and spot when you can.  But, always check to see if the heavies and TDs are in a position to actually support you.  Far too many times they are not in a position to assist you when you're out risking your neck.  Check to see where your friendly heavies and TDs are before spotting.

2) Unless you're playing in a Dracula, never go alone at the beginning of the match.  For example, the dunes map that has a train running through the center of it, Never go alone to the dunes side at the beginning of the match.  it's just foolish.  You dont' know if you're going to be met by 1, 2, 3 or 7 tanks.  In order to avoid this I use a 3 or more principle.  When lining up at the beginning of the game I will rarely proceed with other light tanks to a secluded side of the map (away from heavy/TD support) with less than 3 tanks.  When you go alone in this fashion, you're asking for trouble and you'll have no support when you need it.  Don't go alone at the start.

3) I've been seeing a lot of light tanks sit in one spot and fire, for example at the face of an Emil II, 3, 4 or more times with zero damage.  This is the result of not knowing which medium/heavy tanks and TDs you can actually penetrate with our tiny little light tank canons.  Know thy enemy's armor ratings is fundamental at tiers 8, 9 and 10.  If you are not looking up the armor ratings of tanks you are having trouble with, then you're doing it wrong.  As light tanks our biggest challenge is finding a penetratable angle of impact for our shots.  There are whole websites out there dedicated to revealing this to players.  Find one, investigate the tanks you're having trouble with and stop shooting Emil IIs in the face.  It's useless in most light tanks.

4) When playing in the T49, T92E1 and Sheridan series of tanks, your entire style of game play changes instantly.  In a fully kitted out T9 your reload time is around 16 seconds.  That means you are a drive-by expert.  In many cases I maximize my ability to drive a fast, small tank through an enemy line and reserve that big 700D shot for the one weak enemy tank that is a one-shot kill.  With such big penetration in a light tank this is a very lethal principle that I rarely see players use.  The opposite of this would be the fast firing Ru 251 with painfully weak penetration.  When up against a KV4 or a T32 (both with painfully slow turrets) the Ru can literally run circles around this tank and pen their soft sides at the firing rate of 1 shot/ 6 seconds.  Whereas the T9 would be ineffective at taking out that big of a tank because of it's reload time. 

5) When you sit in one spot for longer thang 90 seconds, in a light tank,  you're becoming useless.  There are cases where 2 or 3 enemy tanks may sit out in the open and you can do the fire, duck behind a rock, pop out, fire again, repeat tactic, but for the most part, you should be utilizing the feature of your tank that sets you apart, speed.  Speed to snag a base early on, speed to get behind that fat Obj 704 and speed to run away from a 3 on 1 situation.

6) A base capture early in the game will give your team more points toward a victory than almost anything else you can do as a light tank.  I see a lot of light tanks wandering around completely aloof to the idea of letting that base work for you for the entire game.  Closely related to this is the radar signal you send to the other team as soon as you sit on a base.  If it's the middle of the battle, say 2-3 mins in, and you sit on a base, you are sending a message to all enemy tanks that there is a stationary light tank sitting on a base and they may come flocking to you like seagulls to bread.  Always consider an escape route.

7) Always consider an escape route as a light tank.  Forget about the concept that running is what pu**ies do.  You're a light tank, you're fast and you're made for outrunning the enemy.  In nearly every instance in which i go to a separate side of the map, with only 2 other light/medium tanks, I am constantly looking for what my attack route will be and simultaneously keeping an eye on "Oh s**t, we're outnumbered, I better find an escape route."  It's always on my mind.  I see far too many players who are outnumbered 4-1 and they just stay put and fight it out.  You're a fast tank, accept that it'll cost you 2 or 3 shots in the a** and run. 

8) When getting behind a turretless TD . . . consider what other enemy players are nearby.  You can't sit behind an Obj or a Foch and take them out without risk, if they enemy has tanks in the area that can respond.  Do this when the TD is separated from the rest of its team, or at the end of the battle when that lazy TD is tucked away all on his own.  Be very careful with the Foch or any fast hull traversing tank, good players will find a way to twist themselves into a position to crush you.

9) Stop assuming that other light tanks are going with you.  I see a lot of players bolt out of spawn and go half way across the map and then turn around to realize that no one went with them.  These players often get crushed in < 90 seconds and then blame others on the chat.  This is like learning to cross the road as kids, stop, look and listen.  Look around and see what the others are doing.  Unless you're a unicorn, you can't win this game on your own, you need to have a buddy, especially as a light tank.

10) The number one thing I would impress upon anyone reading this with < 10,000 games is this: If you bought a tank with real $$ and somehow managed to warp yourself from tier 3 to tier 9 and then begin playing at that level, a) you'll probably get smeared, b) you will be dead weight to your entire team and c) in most cases you are actually ruining the game for others who have been playing at high tiers for much longer.  This dead weight factor cannot be underestimated. When you're not familiar with the map, not familiar with your tank, it's armor, how to position it and are shooting the face of an Emil II 3 times in a row, these are signs that you live in nubland and you are single handedly ruining the game.  Please for the love of all things holy, stop playing on tiers that are too advanced for your skill level.

Lastly, light tankers, never forget that the easiest thing to do in this game is to sit in a corner and wait for a little red dot to pop up form 900 meters away and wait for your shooting reticle to calm down and send 1200D down range in one shot.  What takes slightly less skill is sitting in a street in a fat heavy tank and let rounds bounce off of you all day long shooting at whatever comes into your field of view.  We light tanks require finesse and much greater strategic thinking than heavies and TDs.   We have to drive more accurately at rates of speed that are 6 times faster than a heavy.  We are constantly performing evasive maneuvers, constantly putting ourselves at great risk to get a some D while others sit and wait for it all to come to them. The best gamers in THIS game are light tank drivers.  

Just a friendly little reminder from good ole Phil44five.

Now I will await the blog slaughter that is to follow this post  . . .

Shaymin_Loves_You #2 Posted 12 November 2021 - 05:06 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7211 battles
  • [-LUX-]

View PostPhil44five, on 12 November 2021 - 10:03 AM, said:

Happy belated Veteran's Day e-warriors!

Your friendly Phil44five here with a few reflections on what I've been seeing lately; An increase in 7-0 butt kickings, an increase players with 1200D being the top scorer on the team and of course an increase in the ever dreaded zero damage player . . .

This post is mainly for light tankers.  And even more specifically, light tankers on tiers 8, 9 and 10.

My biases include the Ru 251, T92E1 and the Leopard 1, which are the three tanks I play most frequently.

Caveats that will save you time: I have 27K games played, most of them in light tanks. I also have a dreaded 48% WR.  I don't care what you have to say about listening to 40%ers, I've seen 68% act like total nubs.  So say what you want but I believe these things to be true . . . 

Here are some things to consider when playing tiers 8-10 in a light tank:

1) Heavies and TDs think of you as a rodeo clown.  Your job, as they will put it, is to run around like a madman and risk taking damage from all directions before any of the enemy tanks are spotted.  This is a great risk to you lightly armored tank.  Do not buy into it.  Play your game and spot when you can.  But, always check to see if the heavies and TDs are in a position to actually support you.  Far too many times they are not in a position to assist you when you're out risking your neck.  Check to see where your friendly heavies and TDs are before spotting.

2) Unless you're playing in a Dracula, never go alone at the beginning of the match.  For example, the dunes map that has a train running through the center of it, Never go alone to the dunes side at the beginning of the match.  it's just foolish.  You dont' know if you're going to be met by 1, 2, 3 or 7 tanks.  In order to avoid this I use a 3 or more principle.  When lining up at the beginning of the game I will rarely proceed with other light tanks to a secluded side of the map (away from heavy/TD support) with less than 3 tanks.  When you go alone in this fashion, you're asking for trouble and you'll have no support when you need it.  Don't go alone at the start.

3) I've been seeing a lot of light tanks sit in one spot and fire, for example at the face of an Emil II, 3, 4 or more times with zero damage.  This is the result of not knowing which medium/heavy tanks and TDs you can actually penetrate with our tiny little light tank canons.  Know thy enemy's armor ratings is fundamental at tiers 8, 9 and 10.  If you are not looking up the armor ratings of tanks you are having trouble with, then you're doing it wrong.  As light tanks our biggest challenge is finding a penetratable angle of impact for our shots.  There are whole websites out there dedicated to revealing this to players.  Find one, investigate the tanks you're having trouble with and stop shooting Emil IIs in the face.  It's useless in most light tanks.

4) When playing in the T49, T92E1 and Sheridan series of tanks, your entire style of game play changes instantly.  In a fully kitted out T9 your reload time is around 16 seconds.  That means you are a drive-by expert.  In many cases I maximize my ability to drive a fast, small tank through an enemy line and reserve that big 700D shot for the one weak enemy tank that is a one-shot kill.  With such big penetration in a light tank this is a very lethal principle that I rarely see players use.  The opposite of this would be the fast firing Ru 251 with painfully weak penetration.  When up against a KV4 or a T32 (both with painfully slow turrets) the Ru can literally run circles around this tank and pen their soft sides at the firing rate of 1 shot/ 6 seconds.  Whereas the T9 would be ineffective at taking out that big of a tank because of it's reload time. 

5) When you sit in one spot for longer thang 90 seconds, in a light tank,  you're becoming useless.  There are cases where 2 or 3 enemy tanks may sit out in the open and you can do the fire, duck behind a rock, pop out, fire again, repeat tactic, but for the most part, you should be utilizing the feature of your tank that sets you apart, speed.  Speed to snag a base early on, speed to get behind that fat Obj 704 and speed to run away from a 3 on 1 situation.

6) A base capture early in the game will give your team more points toward a victory than almost anything else you can do as a light tank.  I see a lot of light tanks wandering around completely aloof to the idea of letting that base work for you for the entire game.  Closely related to this is the radar signal you send to the other team as soon as you sit on a base.  If it's the middle of the battle, say 2-3 mins in, and you sit on a base, you are sending a message to all enemy tanks that there is a stationary light tank sitting on a base and they may come flocking to you like seagulls to bread.  Always consider an escape route.

7) Always consider an escape route as a light tank.  Forget about the concept that running is what pu**ies do.  You're a light tank, you're fast and you're made for outrunning the enemy.  In nearly every instance in which i go to a separate side of the map, with only 2 other light/medium tanks, I am constantly looking for what my attack route will be and simultaneously keeping an eye on "Oh s**t, we're outnumbered, I better find an escape route."  It's always on my mind.  I see far too many players who are outnumbered 4-1 and they just stay put and fight it out.  You're a fast tank, accept that it'll cost you 2 or 3 shots in the a** and run. 

8) When getting behind a turretless TD . . . consider what other enemy players are nearby.  You can't sit behind an Obj or a Foch and take them out without risk, if they enemy has tanks in the area that can respond.  Do this when the TD is separated from the rest of its team, or at the end of the battle when that lazy TD is tucked away all on his own.  Be very careful with the Foch or any fast hull traversing tank, good players will find a way to twist themselves into a position to crush you.

9) Stop assuming that other light tanks are going with you.  I see a lot of players bolt out of spawn and go half way across the map and then turn around to realize that no one went with them.  These players often get crushed in < 90 seconds and then blame others on the chat.  This is like learning to cross the road as kids, stop, look and listen.  Look around and see what the others are doing.  Unless you're a unicorn, you can't win this game on your own, you need to have a buddy, especially as a light tank.

10) The number one thing I would impress upon anyone reading this with < 10,000 games is this: If you bought a tank with real $$ and somehow managed to warp yourself from tier 3 to tier 9 and then begin playing at that level, a) you'll probably get smeared, b) you will be dead weight to your entire team and c) in most cases you are actually ruining the game for others who have been playing at high tiers for much longer.  This dead weight factor cannot be underestimated. When you're not familiar with the map, not familiar with your tank, it's armor, how to position it and are shooting the face of an Emil II 3 times in a row, these are signs that you live in nubland and you are single handedly ruining the game.  Please for the love of all things holy, stop playing on tiers that are too advanced for your skill level.

Lastly, light tankers, never forget that the easiest thing to do in this game is to sit in a corner and wait for a little red dot to pop up form 900 meters away and wait for your shooting reticle to calm down and send 1200D down range in one shot.  What takes slightly less skill is sitting in a street in a fat heavy tank and let rounds bounce off of you all day long shooting at whatever comes into your field of view.  We light tanks require finesse and much greater strategic thinking than heavies and TDs.   We have to drive more accurately at rates of speed that are 6 times faster than a heavy.  We are constantly performing evasive maneuvers, constantly putting ourselves at great risk to get a some D while others sit and wait for it all to come to them. The best gamers in THIS game are light tank drivers.  

Just a friendly little reminder from good ole Phil44five.

Now I will await the blog slaughter that is to follow this post  . . .

I have always been a light tank addict, And I won't stop. My brain only wants speed, spotting, and massive he in the side of my tank

Unicum, Don't Unicum

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.

The more you take, the less you have

generalhonks #3 Posted 12 November 2021 - 05:38 PM

Aim High

• Players
  • 10957 battles
  • [HOUSE]
Light and med main here, can confirm.

“He who serves his fellows is, of all his fellows, greatest.”

- E. Urner Goodman

Card holding member of the medium tank mafia.

grunk69 #4 Posted 12 November 2021 - 07:39 PM

History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told

• Players
  • 36372 battles
  • [A_F]
great post to start the day - made me laugh !  nb I am one of those who cant play light tanks.....

Edited by grunk69, 12 November 2021 - 07:39 PM.

JefeMac #5 Posted 13 November 2021 - 01:33 AM

Foro Fuego Jefe (Jubilado)

• Players
  • 11593 battles
  • [ROTI]

View Postgrunk69, on 12 November 2021 - 07:39 PM, said:

great post to start the day - made me laugh !  nb I am one of those who cant play light tanks.....

Me neither. I HATE those missions to win x number of battles in a light tank. 

“And yet when you hear people say ‘conspiracy theory’ that’s designed to pluck this little part of your brain that says, well, that thing’s not true,” said Attkisson. “And I always keep an open mind and say, that crazy thing that they say is a conspiracy theory may well have some truth in it.”

__V_O_P__ #6 Posted 13 November 2021 - 02:41 AM

A Lapsed Pacifist

• Players
  • 71634 battles
  • [LAP]

View PostJefeMac, on 12 November 2021 - 08:29 PM, said:

Dude - see my post on your appearance in a Droodles vid?

it is what it is... even masteries aren't perfect... everyone's a critic.

Markus_The0 #7 Posted 13 November 2021 - 06:15 AM

Strategy and Kindness

• Players
  • 35838 battles
  • [HOOD]

I'll be responding Phil's original points in his OP. (And I'm going to use the word "you," but it is directed at all of us, including me, not just Phil.)

Phil's point 1:

Make sure you have support when going somewhere to spot.

Markus' advice:

True, don't try to go and randomly spot things just because that's expected, but at the same time, don't write off all aggressive spotting. Fast information gathering is very often helpful in guiding the course of a battle and securing the win. How do you make your spotting worth risking your HP? Think about what information your teammates would like to have, and try to carefully, quickly provide that. For example, spotting in the mid on Canal can tell your heavies where it would be safest and most effective to go, and can allow your TD's shave off chunks of red HP right off the bat.

Phil's point 2:

Always make sure you run with other tanks.

Markus' advice:

So we already established that sometimes it can be extremely helpful to make spotting runs alone. How does one survive when away from the team's support? By always knowing where everyone is. If you know where each red is, or is likely to be, and if you know where the reds are not, then you can craft a safe path of travel across the battlefield. This can be done innumerable times within a given battle to allow you to safely slip around the battlefield to locations where your team needs an extra gun, or needs some view range, or needs a base to be captured.

Phil's point 3:

Learn the armor profiles of the tanks you go up against so you know where you can pen who.

Markus' advice:

Totally sound wisdom, my man!

Phil's point 4:

Derp gun lights play differently than traditional lights.

Markus' advice:

Very true, but amidst all your derp gun fun, don't make the same mistake I initially did with the T49 and forget you're also a light that can spot effectively when needed. You're not just your gun.

Phil's point 5:

Make sure you're always using your speed.

Markus' advice:

Speed is absolutely a handy strong suit of light tanks, but the need to always be moving and doing can really get a light tank driver into a lot of trouble. If you can deal damage or your spotting is actively allowing your team to deal damage, fight your adrenaline surge's call to hit the accelerator and hold your position for as long as it's effective and safe to do so.

Phil's point 6:

Base capping is one of the very best things a light tank can do.

Markus' advice:

Capping bases can be extremely helpful, but I believe the ability to spot reds, to speed across the battlefield to a fight where your team needs an extra gun, and the ability to deal damage while out-maneuvering enemies are also extremely helpful options a light can choose. It's important to consider all the potential impacts you could have on the battlefield when deciding where and how to risk your hp. Could you potentially serve your team better throughout this battle by staying healthy for now, as opposed to potentially losing a ton of HP trying to cap B right now?

Phil's point 7:

Always have an escape route available.

Markus' advice:

Absolutely solid advice!

Phil's point 8:

Only circle reds that can't out-traverse you and don't have teammates nearby.

Markus' advice:

While this is a good place to start out for newer light tank drivers, if you use careful timing and positioning, you don't necessarily need a red to be far away from their teammates in order for you to make them prey. For example, in your low-riding RU-251, you can come right up to the side of that Foch, sit with your side to his, and temporarily use him as cover from the other reds in the area. You don't need a red to be isolated, you just have to find a way to isolate yourself from his team's attention and/or their lines-of-sight to shoot you.

Phil's point 9:

Watch to see where your fellow lights are.

Markus' advice:

Very solid advice, but don't just track where your fellow fast tanks are. Instead, track where all of your teammates are. This, along with knowing where all the reds are, is key to surviving and thriving in a light tank. Knowing where your teammates are will help you better understand where the reds have their focus directed. Once you know where the reds are focused, you can do amazing things from the areas where they are not focused on the parts of their tanks where their guns are not pointing.

Phil's point 10:

Don't play tiers you are not well suited to compete in.

Markus' advice:

It's true that there is something to be said for playing where you're suited to compete, but when I first started playing tier 1, I wasn't ready to effectively compete--none of us were. The key, in my mind, is to bite off just enough of a challenge that you can grow, but not too much of a challenge that overwhelms you with all the many skills you would have to learn in order to successfully compete. Not jumping up too many tiers, as you say, can really help with that.

Thanks for taking time to share you thoughts, Phil44Five! I hope your topic can be the start of a great forum discussion here. :)

Edited by Markus_The0, 13 November 2021 - 07:11 AM.

It's not the RNG, the MM, the diameter of your shell, the thickness of your armor, or the number of premium rounds you carry that counts ultimately; it's the courage in your heart, the calmness in your mind, the hope and faith you have in your team, and the way you use what's at your disposal that truly determines Victory.

whatzup22 #8 Posted 13 November 2021 - 08:24 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 3996 battles
When I get a trolling mood I switch to whatzup account, play my bulldog and yolo into enemy spawn. i survive 70% of the time

Phil44five #9 Posted 13 November 2021 - 01:42 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 34907 battles
  • [VALKY]

View PostMarkus_The0, on 13 November 2021 - 06:15 AM, said:

I'll be responding Phil's original points in his OP. (And I'm going to use the word "you," but it is directed at all of us, including me, not just Phil.)

Phil's point 1:

Make sure you have support when going somewhere to spot.

Markus' advice:

True, don't try to go and randomly spot things just because that's expected, but at the same time, don't write off all aggressive spotting. Fast information gathering is very often helpful in guiding the course of a battle and securing the win. How do you make your spotting worth risking your HP? Think about what information your teammates would like to have, and try to carefully, quickly provide that. For example, spotting in the mid on Canal can tell your heavies where it would be safest and most effective to go, and can allow your TD's shave off chunks of red HP right off the bat.

Phil's point 2:

Always make sure you run with other tanks.

Markus' advice:

So we already established that sometimes it can be extremely helpful to make spotting runs alone. How does one survive when away from the team's support? By always knowing where everyone is. If you know where each red is, or is likely to be, and if you know where the reds are not, then you can craft a safe path of travel across the battlefield. This can be done innumerable times within a given battle to allow you to safely slip around the battlefield to locations where your team needs an extra gun, or needs some view range, or needs a base to be captured.

Phil's point 3:

Learn the armor profiles of the tanks you go up against so you know where you can pen who.

Markus' advice:

Totally sound wisdom, my man!

Phil's point 4:

Derp gun lights play differently than traditional lights.

Markus' advice:

Very true, but amidst all your derp gun fun, don't make the same mistake I initially did with the T49 and forget you're also a light that can spot effectively when needed. You're not just your gun.

Phil's point 5:

Make sure you're always using your speed.

Markus' advice:

Speed is absolutely a handy strong suit of light tanks, but the need to always be moving and doing can really get a light tank driver into a lot of trouble. If you can deal damage or your spotting is actively allowing your team to deal damage, fight your adrenaline surge's call to hit the accelerator and hold your position for as long as it's effective and safe to do so.

Phil's point 6:

Base capping is one of the very best things a light tank can do.

Markus' advice:

Capping bases can be extremely helpful, but I believe the ability to spot reds, to speed across the battlefield to a fight where your team needs an extra gun, and the ability to deal damage while out-maneuvering enemies are also extremely helpful options a light can choose. It's important to consider all the potential impacts you could have on the battlefield when deciding where and how to risk your hp. Could you potentially serve your team better throughout this battle by staying healthy for now, as opposed to potentially losing a ton of HP trying to cap B right now?

Phil's point 7:

Always have an escape route available.

Markus' advice:

Absolutely solid advice!

Phil's point 8:

Only circle reds that can't out-traverse you and don't have teammates nearby.

Markus' advice:

While this is a good place to start out for newer light tank drivers, if you use careful timing and positioning, you don't necessarily need a red to be far away from their teammates in order for you to make them prey. For example, in your low-riding RU-251, you can come right up to the side of that Foch, sit with your side to his, and temporarily use him as cover from the other reds in the area. You don't need a red to be isolated, you just have to find a way to isolate yourself from his team's attention and/or their lines-of-sight to shoot you.

Phil's point 9:

Watch to see where your fellow lights are.

Markus' advice:

Very solid advice, but don't just track where your fellow fast tanks are. Instead, track where all of your teammates are. This, along with knowing where all the reds are, is key to surviving and thriving in a light tank. Knowing where your teammates are will help you better understand where the reds have their focus directed. Once you know where the reds are focused, you can do amazing things from the areas where they are not focused on the parts of their tanks where their guns are not pointing.

Phil's point 10:

Don't play tiers you are not well suited to compete in.

Markus' advice:

It's true that there is something to be said for playing where you're suited to compete, but when I first started playing tier 1, I wasn't ready to effectively compete--none of us were. The key, in my mind, is to bite off just enough of a challenge that you can grow, but not too much of a challenge that overwhelms you with all the many skills you would have to learn in order to successfully compete. Not jumping up too many tiers, as you say, can really help with that.

Thanks for taking time to share you thoughts, Phil44Five! I hope your topic can be the start of a great forum discussion here. :)

Great discourse Markus. This is the sort of chatter I was hoping to create.  I see a lot of people making very rookie mistakes.  I'm just trying to create an opportunity for others to learn how to play.  It's not easy playing a light tank, but they are usually the most fun.  

MaxxDamage #10 Posted 13 November 2021 - 02:17 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 62220 battles
  • [CRUEL]

View PostMeat_Locker, on 12 November 2021 - 05:07 PM, said:

It is a logical fallacy, along with being very poor form, to attack the man (ad hominem) and not his reasoning and argumentation. 

But in some cases, much more satisfying!

JefeMac #11 Posted 13 November 2021 - 02:30 PM

• Players
  • 11593 battles
  • [ROTI]

View PostMeat_Locker, on 12 November 2021 - 10:07 PM, said:

It is a logical fallacy, along with being very poor form, to attack the man (ad hominem) and not his reasoning and argumentation. 

Respectfully - that’s not the case here. The repeated, pervasive hypocrisy of the material posted vs the well documented actual game play by the author (and his unchecked toxicity) is. 

“And yet when you hear people say ‘conspiracy theory’ that’s designed to pluck this little part of your brain that says, well, that thing’s not true,” said Attkisson. “And I always keep an open mind and say, that crazy thing that they say is a conspiracy theory may well have some truth in it.”

acrisis #12 Posted 13 November 2021 - 04:28 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 22206 battles
  • [III-C]
:sceptic:

BE     (+)   
>> Desktop mode  =>  + Recent topics   + Staff Posts 
    > WG Bugs & current update   > Feedback  
 > Videos   > Vehicle Bay   > Guides    

> PingPlotter >  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified using PingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii | Blitz University | Basic Training | Mentor | Pingplotter Guy

AdderaII #13 Posted 13 November 2021 - 08:30 PM

Can’t Pass Without it!

• Players
  • 34287 battles
  • [OGRE]

Why do threads get so personal?

Why not just discuss the merits of of the post?

I don’t believe OP’s post is out and out wrong, but 90% of the advice is applicable to every tank, not just lights. Most of the “pro tips” are just common sense. Again, not wrong, per se, just not that illuminating. 

The player formerly known as, Adderall4life

Shaymin_Loves_You #14 Posted 13 November 2021 - 08:43 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7211 battles
  • [-LUX-]

View PostAdderaII, on 13 November 2021 - 01:30 PM, said:

Why do threads get so personal?

Why not just discuss the merits of of the post?

I don’t believe OP’s post is out and out wrong, but 90% of the advice is applicable to every tank, not just lights. Most of the “pro tips” are just common sense. Again, not wrong, per se, just not that illuminating. 

It happens a lot. I think its because of personal experience with people. like if a 35%er said he was a unicum. and you just want to tell him that hes not a unicum. 

Unicum, Don't Unicum

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.

Purplet #15 Posted 14 November 2021 - 02:30 PM

The Cripple Who Is Whole

• Players
  • 25055 battles

While I will agree that based on the general consensus, Phil seems like a toxic player. But I have to say, I do agree with what he is saying to a certain degree. Phil started a thread trying to give some helpful advice. He did not instigate anything, besides saying how there is a bias against players that have a career wr below 50%. (which imo I don't particularly care about career wr, I care about 30/60 day). In response Phil did not get an argument against what he posted, but ridiculed on off topic actions. He got attacked for his toxicity, and his skill. While he does seem somewhat toxic, he is not a bad player. Albeit an avg player, but by no means a great/bad player. Nor is he claiming to be from what I've read.

I can understand not liking a player because of a combination of hypocrisy and toxicity (or even just one of those), but it doesn't justify attacking him without being provoked, especially about something not originally in the thread. Granted, Phil did not help the situation with his responses, but can you blame him? Not many people will take a slap to the face without spitting in return.

I'm sorry, but I'm inclined to agree that the responses attacking Phil weren't warranted, needed, nor very nice. Now, this is an online community and I believe people should be a bit more forgiving than they are in real life. Just how people are quicker to be toxic online versus real life.

It makes me a bit sad to find that a person trying to be helpful got these kind of responses, regardless of who they are. As someone said attack the logic and reasoning, not the man.

This is an online gaming community. We should have welcomed and debated Phil's post. If he turned sour from constructive criticism then so be it, call him out on that.

Just my two cents.

Edit: I am toxic. You are toxic. It's a game. Everyone is toxic. But we move on don't we? Because it's just a game 

Edited by Purplet, 14 November 2021 - 02:32 PM.

Shaymin_Loves_You #16 Posted 14 November 2021 - 04:26 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7211 battles
  • [-LUX-]

View PostPurplet, on 14 November 2021 - 07:30 AM, said:

While I will agree that based on the general consensus, Phil seems like a toxic player. But I have to say, I do agree with what he is saying to a certain degree. Phil started a thread trying to give some helpful advice. He did not instigate anything, besides saying how there is a bias against players that have a career wr below 50%. (which imo I don't particularly care about career wr, I care about 30/60 day). In response Phil did not get an argument against what he posted, but ridiculed on off topic actions. He got attacked for his toxicity, and his skill. While he does seem somewhat toxic, he is not a bad player. Albeit an avg player, but by no means a great/bad player. Nor is he claiming to be from what I've read.

I can understand not liking a player because of a combination of hypocrisy and toxicity (or even just one of those), but it doesn't justify attacking him without being provoked, especially about something not originally in the thread. Granted, Phil did not help the situation with his responses, but can you blame him? Not many people will take a slap to the face without spitting in return.

I'm sorry, but I'm inclined to agree that the responses attacking Phil weren't warranted, needed, nor very nice. Now, this is an online community and I believe people should be a bit more forgiving than they are in real life. Just how people are quicker to be toxic online versus real life.

It makes me a bit sad to find that a person trying to be helpful got these kind of responses, regardless of who they are. As someone said attack the logic and reasoning, not the man.

This is an online gaming community. We should have welcomed and debated Phil's post. If he turned sour from constructive criticism then so be it, call him out on that.

Just my two cents.

Edit: I am toxic. You are toxic. It's a game. Everyone is toxic. But we move on don't we? Because it's just a game 

I'm sorry, but I have to do it

Unicum, Don't Unicum

JefeMac #17 Posted 14 November 2021 - 05:55 PM

• Players
  • 11593 battles
  • [ROTI]

What EULA has been violated by Phil not violated by others in this thread that warrants a ban? You can’t remove people for being dipshyt a$$holes as we’ve all seen. 

I’ll take a contrarian view (since I’ve not been HE splashed by Phil this time) - when I read the content he wrote, I think he’s right on the $. I stink at lights so I actually found a couple helpful things in his very lengthy prose. 

I also see highly motivated, successful players sick to death of his moronic game play and idiotic rants in game. He tends to come in to the Forum, drop a grenade, evaluate the damage and bug out again. So rather than calling for removal or sanctions for non existent EULA violations on the forum, that time & effort would be more wisely spent bringing his in game, game play violations and chat to the forefront with WG. 

Edited by JefeMac, 14 November 2021 - 06:04 PM.

BushEnjoyer #18 Posted 14 November 2021 - 06:05 PM

ᵐʸ ʰᵉˢʰ ʷᶦᶫᶫ ᵖᶦᵉʳᶜᵉ ᵗʰᵉ ʰᵉᵃᵛᵉᶰˢ﹗

• Players
  • 76808 battles
  • [CRYBB]

y'all could just change your settings to ignore his posts, just sayin. 

View Post_YSoSerious, on 03 November 2021 - 10:33 PM, said:

Everything you need to learn from on the forum is already written down eons ago. What's left is a scattering of woe me hobos and wannabe Unis like me. Just do a search on the search bar, and soak up the knowledge from legends who have since moved on to Valhalla. All we can offer you is distilled regurgitation, or worse, incorrect advice.

Learn about HE

JefeMac #19 Posted 14 November 2021 - 06:10 PM

• Players
  • 11593 battles
  • [ROTI]

View PostTengenToppaPotatoLagann, on 14 November 2021 - 06:05 PM, said:

Why do that when you can argue and insult endlessly ? 

Edited by JefeMac, 14 November 2021 - 06:10 PM.

JefeMac #20 Posted 14 November 2021 - 06:58 PM

• Players
  • 11593 battles
  • [ROTI]

View PostTengenToppaPotatoLagann, on 14 November 2021 - 06:05 PM, said:

See what I mean? 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users