Troll alert: YANKEE_LAD

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

pop_a_kap #1 Posted 24 November 2021 - 02:20 AM

Private

• Players
  • 19308 battles
  • [BMW2]
I’ve been receiving dm’s from a player known as YANKEE_LAD. This started after a battle we actually won. I guess I did something in the game he disagreed with and triggered his anger. I got the typical “delete the game 40% noob” and so on. Not to be intimidated by a bully, I didn’t leave him off the hook and responded. His 1st dm is below:

”40% piece of s..t yapping nooob”

He hasn’t let up and dm’s every day. I received the below message earlier today. 

“40% soy boy nooob keeps hiding…I’ll find you, don’t you worry. BTW, don’t think you are the only one, there are 5 other beta males that I’m stomping too, so don’t feel unique my little 40% soy boy nooob”

So, things took a turn with the realization of a threat and the admission that he harasses other players. Admittedly, I have a 47% win rate and not in the elite status of WOT but that shouldn’t matter. The battle he got so upset about I actually did well in. 

Obviously this guy is touched and probably finds it gratifying by bullying other members. I have screen shots of a couple of his messages….including the above. It’s too bad you can’t complain to WOT about message conduct so I thought I’d post my complaint here.  

boris55555 #2 Posted 24 November 2021 - 02:22 AM

BORii Full Badge Society Member, and First Minister of FUNK

• Players
  • 36681 battles
  • [MINC]

View Postpop_a_kap, on 23 November 2021 - 09:20 PM, said:

I’ve been receiving dm’s from a player known as YANKEE_LAD. This started after a battle we actually won. I guess I did something in the game he disagreed with and triggered his anger. I got the typical “delete the game 40% noob” and so on. Not to be intimidated by a bully, I didn’t leave him off the hook and responded. His 1st dm is below:

”40% piece of s..t yapping nooob”

He hasn’t let up and dm’s every day. I received the below message earlier today. 

“40% soy boy nooob keeps hiding…I’ll find you, don’t you worry. BTW, don’t think you are the only one, there are 5 other beta males that I’m stomping too, so don’t feel unique my little 40% soy boy nooob”

So, things took a turn with the realization of a threat and the admission that he harasses other players. Admittedly, I have a 47% win rate and not in the elite status of WOT but that shouldn’t matter. The battle he got so upset about I actually did well in. 

Obviously this guy is touched and probably finds it gratifying by bullying other members. I have screen shots of a couple of his messages….including the above. It’s too bad you can’t complain to WOT about message conduct so I thought I’d post my complaint here.  

welcome to the forum. Always a great place to learn about wotb. Why not just block this piece of [edited]?

TIME TO BRING THE FORUM LINK BACK INTO THE GAME

If WG would permanently take away all of my temporary avatars, I would consider that a gift.” BAR_001

wrecker1968 #3 Posted 24 November 2021 - 02:28 AM

Head of Security

• Players
  • 60788 battles
  • [HOUSE]
Screenshot. Ticket.

originalmadkilla #4 Posted 24 November 2021 - 02:30 AM

Infamous Troublemaker

• Players
  • 17545 battles
  • [OMK]

No use in making a big deal out of one message in my opinion.:playing:

Do you know how many messages I would get every single day if I didn't have messages blocked for anybody who is not in my friend's list? It would be insane.:izmena:

It is common to meet salty players in this game and it's also common that some of them will rage at you for whatever reasons. My advice is to ignore or just disable messaging from anybody that is not a friend.

Wasting time in responding to such messages is not a worthwhile usage of somebody's time, again, in my opinion.:justwait:

EDIT - I just reread the OP and I see that it says that they message you every day. So I guess you have 2 solutions - You can block them or you can send a report to WG showing proof that they keep harassing you and maybe WG will penalize them.

Edited by originalmadkilla, 24 November 2021 - 02:38 AM.

little_brother_of_war #5 Posted 24 November 2021 - 02:41 AM

ᎠᏁᏦᏗ ~ A-ne’-tso-di

• Players
  • 23311 battles
  • [00F]

You can turn on “messages from friends only” (or something like that) in you garage settings. Last settings icon I believe. That will block any communication from anyone not in your immediate friends list or who you have already accepted as a friend. 

Otherwise the chances of you even seeing them in battle again anytime soon os very unlikely. By then you will both most likely have forgotten each other and he will have probably moved on to stalking some other poor soul. 

Block the sheet outta him and tank on! :izmena:
Good luck to you! 

Old cowboy saying...

”Yep...it’s a mean ol’ world.”

Fortune cookie proverb...

”Face facts with dignity.”

Giddy up there, Buckeroo’s and Buckerettes!   :B  

pop_a_kap #6 Posted 24 November 2021 - 04:58 AM

Private

• Players
  • 19308 battles
  • [BMW2]
I know about the feature to block messages from friends only but I do like to thank players for  a thumbs up vote or congratulate they for a good job.
I also know there’s a little banter back and forth at times, which is ok but this guy is inappropriate.

boris55555 #7 Posted 24 November 2021 - 05:58 AM

BORii Full Badge Society Member, and First Minister of FUNK

• Players
  • 36681 battles
  • [MINC]

View Postpop_a_kap, on 23 November 2021 - 11:58 PM, said:

I know about the feature to block messages from friends only but I do like to thank players for a thumbs up vote or congratulate they for a good job.
I also know there’s a little banter back and forth at times, which is ok but this guy is inappropriate.

I respect that very much. Ask omk…but just block him. 

TIME TO BRING THE FORUM LINK BACK INTO THE GAME

If WG would permanently take away all of my temporary avatars, I would consider that a gift.” BAR_001

thenerfdude #8 Posted 24 November 2021 - 08:28 AM

Ramming Speed!

• Players
  • 38391 battles
  • [_AUS_]
This is normal for any multiplayer game :mellow:

I want to bring my pet teir 2 to teir 10 one more time - Download my coloured map mod!

MarBearCat #9 Posted 24 November 2021 - 09:56 AM

Pennsylvania's Favorite Cat!

• Players
  • 22740 battles
  • [SDWA]

I've chatted in game b4 with that 

person and never had an issue. 

Just sayin'. 

Heavy Is The Cat That's Carried!

SirBouncalot #10 Posted 24 November 2021 - 02:03 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 56784 battles
  • [III-P]
Just ignore, not worth the time.  Had a guy the other day call me an ahole on my team when I cut in front of him to take a shot for him.  He was dwindling hp and I was full, so I thought I will try to help him out.  Apparently he had no clue and went off on me.  We won the game pretty easily but he was not happy so as they say you can't fix stupid.

pop_a_kap #11 Posted 24 November 2021 - 03:03 PM

Private

• Players
  • 19308 battles
  • [BMW2]
Agreed! And I have blocked him and sent a complaint with the screen shots to WG. It does make me wonder why players like YANKEE_LAD feel the need to troll players like that. Totally inappropriate and discredits WOT.

pop_a_kap #12 Posted 24 November 2021 - 03:04 PM

Private

• Players
  • 19308 battles
  • [BMW2]

View PostMarBearCat, on 24 November 2021 - 09:56 AM, said:

I've chatted in game b4 with that 

person and never had an issue. 

Just sayin'. 

pop_a_kap #13 Posted 24 November 2021 - 03:08 PM

Private

• Players
  • 19308 battles
  • [BMW2]
I guess you never know who’s on the other side of the keyboard. A respectable person ready to assist players or an online bully harassing other players. The latter does no good for the game.

__V_O_P__ #14 Posted 24 November 2021 - 04:23 PM

A Lapsed Pacifist

• Players
  • 62541 battles
  • [LAP]

OP, there's not a lot you can do about folks that are angry or triggered in game. Obviously, Yankee was "upset" by something you did. However, this is a lot you can do to avoid situations like this. As pointed out... you can block players that get into your DMs and you can make your DMs only accessible by folks on your friends list. FWIW because of this, WG really doesn't police DM chat - posting a ticket usually gets a standard response. And here isn't really a place that can help. TBH if everyone here shared stories of trolls in chat, there would be a lot of threads. Generally, Troll threads are limited to in game trolls, who for some reason, WG doesn't really seem to do anything about. These are folks that block or refuse to contribute to the team - Blue Rock is a good example. OMK a very different kind of example (a troll with principles).

So here's a thing you can do! Nearly half of your games are at tier 9 and 10, and really you never achieved any sort of understanding of the game at the lower tiers, judging by the win rates achieved at tiers 6, 7, and 8, 48%, 45%, and 45% respectively. Tier X is a strange beast... it is very unforgiving. Presently your Damage Ratio in Tier X is 0.6 and your survival rate is below 20%, which means that basically you are free HP for the Red team. Head back down a few tiers. Practice those basic skills... this will mean that folks may be less triggered when you play. And here, please forgive me if you think I am victim shaming, this is not my intention... it's just that 40% players are Tier X are "lightening rods" for blame when 60% players get dead. They shouldn't be and you shouldn't be on the receiving end, but they are and you were. 

pop_a_kap #15 Posted 24 November 2021 - 08:41 PM

Private

• Players
  • 19308 battles
  • [BMW2]
Obviously anyone who posts anything runs the risk of opinions/criticisms from others. The above from _V_O_P_ is a well founded comprehensive description of stats and consequences of playing in the higher tiers. However, I do take exception. This post is about inappropriate harassment from one player to the next. It shouldn’t matter who plays in whatever tier, the bottom line is player conduct.

It’s kinda like getting something stolen out of your unlocked car. The real problem is the theft and not if you locked your car or not.

What happened is that this player - YANKEE_LAD - admittedly goes out of his way to inappropriately harass (multiple players at a time) because of something that triggers his anger and because he thinks he needs to be the enforcer of what should or shouldn’t happen in the game. It’s easy to sling those kind of comments hiding behind the keyboard (I guarantee that wouldn’t happen if it weren’t anonymous). This is inappropriate regardless of player win rate, tier they play, or message settings. This also should not be tolerated by anyone…high win rate or low.

I understand completely and respect that some players take this came very seriously and strive to make the highest win rate possible but there are also those who don’t and just enjoy the game for entertainment.

__V_O_P__ #16 Posted 24 November 2021 - 11:19 PM

A Lapsed Pacifist

• Players
  • 62541 battles
  • [LAP]

View Postpop_a_kap, on 24 November 2021 - 03:41 PM, said:

Obviously anyone who posts anything runs the risk of opinions/criticisms from others. The above from _V_O_P_ is a well founded comprehensive description of stats and consequences of playing in the higher tiers. However, I do take exception. This post is about inappropriate harassment from one player to the next. It shouldn’t matter who plays in whatever tier, the bottom line is player conduct.

It’s kinda like getting something stolen out of your unlocked car. The real problem is the theft and not if you locked your car or not.

What happened is that this player - YANKEE_LAD - admittedly goes out of his way to inappropriately harass (multiple players at a time) because of something that triggers his anger and because he thinks he needs to be the enforcer of what should or shouldn’t happen in the game. It’s easy to sling those kind of comments hiding behind the keyboard (I guarantee that wouldn’t happen if it weren’t anonymous). This is inappropriate regardless of player win rate, tier they play, or message settings. This also should not be tolerated by anyone…high win rate or low.

I understand completely and respect that some players take this came very seriously and strive to make the highest win rate possible but there are also those who don’t and just enjoy the game for entertainment.

your analogy of something getting stolen from a car is a good example. it shouldn’t happen. but it does happen. And there are things that responsible folk can do to reduce their vulnerability to the act or the consequences of the act. Again, not my intention to stat shame or victims blame - simply to offer a way to mitigate the situation. 

Edited by __V_O_P__, 24 November 2021 - 11:21 PM.

pop_a_kap #17 Posted 25 November 2021 - 12:21 AM

Private

• Players
  • 19308 battles
  • [BMW2]

View Post__V_O_P__, on 24 November 2021 - 11:19 PM, said:

your analogy of something getting stolen from a car is a good example. it shouldn’t happen. but it does happen. And there are things that responsible folk can do to reduce their vulnerability to the act or the consequences of the act. Again, not my intention to stat shame or victims blame - simply to offer a way to mitigate the situation. 

pop_a_kap #18 Posted 25 November 2021 - 12:21 AM

Private

• Players
  • 19308 battles
  • [BMW2]
No offense taken. Thanks for your input and see you in the game!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users