Challenging Challenger

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

fish69_iron #1 Posted 14 January 2022 - 12:38 AM

Private

• Players
  • 2071 battles
  • [FSUF]
Besides Sherman Firefly being a....not so pleasant trip to the challenger, i am wondering if it's worth it enough or not.

I mostly want this line because of FV4005, but challenger also seems pretty nice.

It would also help if anyone knew if this line was good at all besides the sherman, but may that's just me having issues with sherman.

Retro_Funky #2 Posted 14 January 2022 - 12:47 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3507 battles
  • [METRO]

View Postfish69_iron, on 13 January 2022 - 05:38 PM, said:

Besides Sherman Firefly being a....not so pleasant trip to the challenger, i am wondering if it's worth it enough or not.

I mostly want this line because of FV4005, but challenger also seems pretty nice.

It would also help if anyone knew if this line was good at all besides the sherman, but may that's just me having issues with sherman.

a little warning if your a pc player, 4005 has a 128 mm auto loader, the fv 215b 183 has the 183 mm.

Challenger is a great tank, and IMO its always been one of the best t8 tds. Before its huge buff last year it had a 200 average dmg gun for 5-7 seconds. Now it has 300 for 7.9 seconds. I'd use spall liner to protect from smasher, isu, su, kv2 HE. Always use multi repair, repair and reticle calibration bc your aim sucks with the 32 pounder. 

The charioteer has always had a special place in my heart, With a very very good gun that has and average of 350, and its premium rounds are HESH that has 175 mm of pen and an average of 440. It suffers on its hull turn rate and its turret turn rate, so if you're being circled by lights then you'll go down easy.  I like to run multi repair, repair, reticle calibration bc the guns aim isnt always accurate. At first you'll suffer with the 20 pounder but its still good. the 105 mm is probably the gun you'll want to use.

The conway...... you have a choice between a B.L 5.5 in at gun, and the 120 mm l1a1 (WHY THE [edited]DOES THE GUN NOT COUNT TOWARDS THE CONQ AND THE TORTISE, ITS LEGIT THE SAME GUN)

You can run the 5.5 inch but i wouldn't on my life...

the 120mm l1a1 has the dpm to carry. ( i aced this tank on my second game [edited]) It has superb aim time and you'll most likely hit 80% of your shots.  The DPM is crazy, you can just farm lower tier tanks. I'd be careful as your armour is only good in the front of the turret. 

The 4005, I love it and I would love to see it get the 183mm some day. The gun is great and same with the mobility.  armour is a pain, if you dont run spall liner then everyones gonna spam he. Play it very careful and support your mediums or heavys. ( dont brawl [edited])

Edited by Retro_Funky, 14 January 2022 - 01:06 AM.

Unicum, Don't Unicum

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.

The more you take, the less you have.

TengenToppaPotatoLagann #3 Posted 14 January 2022 - 01:04 AM

ᵐʸ ʰᵉˢʰ ʷᶦᶫᶫ ᵖᶦᵉʳᶜᵉ ᵗʰᵉ ʰᵉᵃᵛᵉᶰˢ﹗

• Players
  • 74931 battles
  • [CRYBB]

chally, chari, conway and 4005 are all good tanks - and once you get comfy with using them, you'll look back on the firefly and spit in disgust.

stick it out, they're worth it. 

also, like mentioned above: spall liner and reticle calibration are incredibly useful for all of them. 

View Post_YSoSerious, on 03 November 2021 - 10:33 PM, said:

Everything you need to learn from on the forum is already written down eons ago. What's left is a scattering of woe me hobos and wannabe Unis like me. Just do a search on the search bar, and soak up the knowledge from legends who have since moved on to Valhalla. All we can offer you is distilled regurgitation, or worse, incorrect advice.

Learn about HE

fish69_iron #4 Posted 14 January 2022 - 01:41 AM

Private

• Players
  • 2071 battles
  • [FSUF]
I may as well just p2w my way to Challenger, because firefly is a PA I  N to get at least 1000exp , it's...not the best tank for me i must say

JefeMac #5 Posted 14 January 2022 - 03:43 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9224 battles
  • [ROTI]

The Challenger Tier is VII and the Charioteer Tier VIII.

I found the Challenger to fall somewhere between challenging and trash. 

Charioteer is a total blast - esp when compared to its Tier VII colleague. HESH baby ! 

Edited by JefeMac, 14 January 2022 - 03:46 AM.

“And yet when you hear people say ‘conspiracy theory’ that’s designed to pluck this little part of your brain that says, well, that thing’s not true,” said Attkisson. “And I always keep an open mind and say, that crazy thing that they say is a conspiracy theory may well have some truth in it.”

Markus_The0 #6 Posted 15 January 2022 - 03:36 AM

Strategy and Kindness

• Players
  • 31353 battles
  • [HOOD]

I adore the Challenger. I'd recommend it as a fun tank to at least try out. It is a support tank, though. Make sure to learn its quirks and don't ask it to do things it's not good at. Leverage its strengths, and you may find, as I have, that it is a very rewarding tank to play.

I, too, did not enjoy the Sherman Firefly very much. All the things I disliked in the Firefly got fixed in the challenger. The gun depression increases, the alpha damage increases, the peek-a-boom play style increases, the acceleration power increases, and the camo increases somewhat, as well.

Edited by Markus_The0, 15 January 2022 - 03:44 AM.

It's not the RNG, the MM, the diameter of your shell, the thickness of your armor, or the number of premium rounds you carry that counts ultimately; it's the courage in your heart, the calmness in your mind, the hope and faith you have in your team, and the way you use what's at your disposal that truly determines Victory.

whatzup22 #7 Posted 15 January 2022 - 04:04 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 3643 battles
you’ll get the chariotter, which is up my podium as the Best Looking British Tank ™

generalhonks #8 Posted 15 January 2022 - 03:52 PM

I’m removing the speed limiter!

• Players
  • 10168 battles
  • [HOUSE]
It’s a good line. All of the tanks in the line after the Firefly (Firefly isn’t great) are fast, have good guns with some nice ammo selections, and deal good damage. It’s one of the most enjoyable lines I’ve ever done, and I’ve kept every tank in it except the Firefly, which for most lines I don’t do.
Still locked in Cletus’ basement. It’ll be fine until Cletus decides he wants to try experimenting with voodoo again.

_Crusader6_ #9 Posted 16 January 2022 - 04:25 AM

Skill Makes it’s own Luck.

• Players
  • 81665 battles
  • [III]

The Challenger was buffed, originally it was just really a worse T20. 
  I haven’t played it since the buff, but it was easy to keep in the mid 60% area during the grind. 

Players are clearly doing better in it too, as my Wn8 has fallen from 4,300 to 2,900 something without me playing it. 

The Charioteer was broken when released. I aced it in the first game / so everything else I played after the nerf.  It’s still a decent TD, but unlike the Challenger my Wn8 in the Charioteer has been going up, so obviously players aren’t doing as well.   
  One day I’ll finish 100 games in it, but I’m not overly eager to push it as I want to keep it above 75% I don’t think I can keep it above 80% for the rest.  

I like the Conway - I run with the meds with the big slow 5.5” gun.  
   It’s too soft for me to run the DPM gun. I kept mine over 65% for more than 100 games and think it’s still a great tank. 

I hate Annihilator spammers...  
Tank Hoarder: 481 tanks in Garage:  498/498 Played Tanks Aced
304 extra garage slots too - lucky me. 

I need more tanks...

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

KFlowers_16 #10 Posted 18 January 2022 - 01:01 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5809 battles
  • [_WAP_]

View Postfish69_iron, on 13 January 2022 - 08:38 PM, said:

View PostTengenToppaPotatoLagann, on 13 January 2022 - 09:04 PM, said:

chally, chari, conway and 4005 are all good tanks - and once you get comfy with using them, you'll look back on the firefly and spit in disgust.

stick it out, they're worth it. 

also, like mentioned above: spall liner and reticle calibration are incredibly useful for all of them. 

View Postfish69_iron, on 13 January 2022 - 09:41 PM, said:

I may as well just p2w my way to Challenger, because firefly is a PA I  N to get at least 1000exp , it's...not the best tank for me i must say

Really? I'm grinding the Sherman firefly now and even at 80% crew is pretty nice. I love the gun as must underestimate it's penetration and dpm

the gun

DirkTheDaring76 #11 Posted 18 January 2022 - 04:12 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 38898 battles
  • [ZOOM]

The big drawback of the whole line is the turret traverse. It's really really bad. But the mobility of the hull compensates just a little, but even that takes time to get up to speed.

Otherwise it's a fun line, but you cannot get caught on your own. It's just too soft shelled and can't keep up.

KFlowers_16 #12 Posted 19 January 2022 - 02:19 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5809 battles
  • [_WAP_]

View PostDirkTheDaring76, on 18 January 2022 - 12:12 PM, said:

The big drawback of the whole line is the turret traverse. It's really really bad. But the mobility of the hull compensates just a little, but even that takes time to get up to speed.

Otherwise it's a fun line, but you cannot get caught on your own. It's just too soft shelled and can't keep up.

hey, at least it had a turret. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users