What current U.S.Army Tankers go through in Boot Camp

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

ZebraUp #1 Posted 13 May 2022 - 12:31 AM

I want to be on the RED team!

• Players
  • 31130 battles
  • [_UF_]

You gotta be Lucky or a Lion to kill a Zebra!

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Vantablack12 #2 Posted 13 May 2022 - 01:44 AM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 18599 battles
  • [K9]

I watched it before you posted it here. Good video.

I plan on trying to become a tanker, but I'm definitely going to talk to a few recruiters and do some research about height requirements before I commit to joining the army. I'm just about 6 foot 1 inch; that is technically the maximum height limit for an M1 crewman, but I know that its a little bit flexible. I know that Nicholas Moran AKA "The Chieftan" is quite a few inches taller than I am (6 5 I believe) and was allowed to join. Something to do with sitting height I think. 

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid" - John Wayne.

Bring back the in-game Forum link!

Silver_Lions #3 Posted 13 May 2022 - 03:19 AM

Illegitimi non Carborundum

• Players
  • 23805 battles
  • [TOES]

I went through Basic Training ( Boot camp is for Marines), and my 19E training at Ft. Knox in 1981. At the time, it was 4.5 months long, and frankly it was excellent.  OSUT- One Station Unit Training meant we kept the same Drill Sgt. from beginning to end.  SFC Yeager, a Vietnam Vet, was my Drill Sgt, and someone I admire to this day.  He was tough, stern, but treated us as his sons when the opportunity presented itself.  

The training at the time focused a lot on vehicle recognition, and your ability to load and accurately fire the 105mm gun.  Incredible amount of gunnery and getting everyone of us damn near perfect with those battlesights and telescopes.   I think they should have spent more time with us on maintenance, I guess they figured it was covered by our spare time in the motor pool fixing the tanks we took to the field.  Most of us were expected to be in M60’s when we graduated, but my unit still had M-48’s, which was actually a very good tank.  I hated the M60,it fell apart in the motor pool overnight as you walked away from it.   My first unit was with the 6thBn. 68th Armored Regt. ( the unit crest is my avatar). These guys were all veterans, mostly Vietnam, but 2 fought in Korea.  This outfit was excellent, best described as a bunch of highly trained, completely undisciplined pirates who had your back anywhere.    My 2nd unit was with the 1Bn 8th Cav. 1st Cav Div,  I immediately saw why the 1st Cav had a scratchy rep. Indifferent  Officers ( except the West Pointer, he was great), , terrible NCOs,  horrible maintenance, and I had an Infantry Captain running the Company.  Our Battalion Commander was an unhinged megalomaniac. The whole situation was Completely insane.    When they were deployed to Kuwait to fight in Gulf War 1, I was not surprised to see them being placed as the theater reserve.  

Vanta, good luck at Armor School, now held at Ft. Benning.   Makes sense I guess moving it from Ft. Knox.  The terrain there chewed apart tanks, second only to Ft. Drum.   Ft. Benning a lot easier on the tanks, and I would guess better gunnery ranges as well.   The M-1, now the M1a1, is a work of art, and I wish I had that beautiful hunk of metal in the field, but I only managed to take it to the field, briefly, only twice.  I thought it was the perfect war machine, and it would shortly prove itself as such. 

I’m sorry you will have to put up with some woke Bee Ess as you train, and now I understand that women serve in the tank crews.  I will never understand that decision.  Tanking requires brute strength very often, and I will end it there on the other dozen qualifications that the other sex just doesn’t possess ( or does possess ), that brings down crew efficiency.   However, if the raw training is still in place, you will come out as some of the best trained tankers in the world.  Maybe you will get lucky and have Israeli crews come out and work with you in your tactics and skills,  they did with us, and they were awesome.      Final word- Ft Irwin is fun, but your gonna lose the first two rounds, no matter what you think you bring to the game.

Please stay safe, and thanks for serving!

Vantablack12 #4 Posted 13 May 2022 - 04:20 PM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 18599 battles
  • [K9]

View PostSilver_Lions, on 12 May 2022 - 07:19 PM, said:

Vanta, good luck at Armor School, now held at Ft. Benning.   Makes sense I guess moving it from Ft. Knox.  The terrain there chewed apart tanks, second only to Ft. Drum.   Ft. Benning a lot easier on the tanks, and I would guess better gunnery ranges as well.   The M-1, now the M1a1, is a work of art, and I wish I had that beautiful hunk of metal in the field, but I only managed to take it to the field, briefly, only twice.  I thought it was the perfect war machine, and it would shortly prove itself as such. 

I’m sorry you will have to put up with some woke Bee Ess as you train, and now I understand that women serve in the tank crews.  I will never understand that decision.  Tanking requires brute strength very often, and I will end it there on the other dozen qualifications that the other sex just doesn’t possess ( or does possess ), that brings down crew efficiency.   However, if the raw training is still in place, you will come out as some of the best trained tankers in the world.  Maybe you will get lucky and have Israeli crews come out and work with you in your tactics and skills,  they did with us, and they were awesome.      Final word- Ft Irwin is fun, but your gonna lose the first two rounds, no matter what you think you bring to the game.

Please stay safe, and thanks for serving!

Thank you for the encouragement! I'm only 17 so its still a little ways away, but I look forward to it. I can't wait for the first time I get to climb inside of it and actually operate it.

Perhaps women would be more suited to the (hopefully) upcoming Griffin II light tank. Their smaller stature might come in handy for operating a smaller vehicle.

LazerDad #5 Posted 13 May 2022 - 07:25 PM

Captain Salty

• Players
  • 22374 battles
  • [802VT]
Around the 2:13 spot, a shell is fired and the casing is ejected.  It looks like it's compacted or the shell casing has disintegrated.  Does the gun have a device that does that or am I just seeing it wrong?

Silver_Lions #6 Posted 13 May 2022 - 07:26 PM

• Players
  • 23805 battles
  • [TOES]
I was 17 years old, and 10 days past graduating High School when I reported to Ft. Knox!

Silver_Lions #7 Posted 13 May 2022 - 07:28 PM

• Players
  • 23805 battles
  • [TOES]

The video isn’t coming up for me. If they are shooting a main gun, and there is no casing coming out,  then it’s artillery, possibly a M109?

Vantablack12 #8 Posted 13 May 2022 - 07:55 PM

Ready, Fire, Aim!

• Players
  • 18599 battles
  • [K9]

View PostSilver_Lions, on 13 May 2022 - 11:26 AM, said:

I was 17 years old, and 10 days past graduating High School when I reported to Ft. Knox!

Did you graduate early? I'll graduate sometime next year.

Silver_Lions #9 Posted 14 May 2022 - 03:56 AM

• Players
  • 23805 battles
  • [TOES]
I probably should have been held back, when I started school, but that wasn’t a thing when I was born.   So yeah, I was 17years old when I boarded the train to Ft. Knox. 

Silver_Lions #10 Posted 15 May 2022 - 03:35 AM

• Players
  • 23805 battles
  • [TOES]

OK, Saw the video.  A few points....   The blue colored rounds being fired from the main gun are cheap training rounds.  The plasticized casing is obviously disintegratable.   "Service round, last I knew, were full brass casings. 

Yes, there is a bathroom on a tank..... If you are in full MOPP mode, ( you will eventually know what that is...), there is no real opening of a tank hatch.  You pee down an empty gun tube, but they arent gonna say that on camera.  In the M48's, M60's, and Original M-1's, you had an escape hatch at the bottom of the drivers position.   You used to be able to drop the hatch, pull forward- ( down hill a small bit if you were smart, uphill asking for trouble...),  take your dump through the hatch, back the tank back up to the dropped escape hatch, and pull it back up.  This would work great until the hatch would freeze up from cold weather......

The above examples are one of a number of reasons why I disagree with women manning a tank crew.   Humping that heavy ammo is not something you get a pass on.  You are expected to help load your entire company of tanks, not just yours. It is grueling, terribly hard work that would wear down even the most hardiest of our tankers.    Replacing a track, or recovering a track that was thrown required an entire crew to pitch in, and several times, even the four tankers on the tank were not enough.  

Glad to see that still have to put on track end connectors with a sledgehammer.    The female tanker that says she is afraid in the tank should be relegated to the Commo, Mess, or Medical MOS's.    The M1 tank, ( wrongly described as deployed in 1990-  in 1981 it was the XM-1, being field tested at Knox, and deployed shortly thereafter.   My unit in the 1st Cav got M-1's in 1984...), was designed with crew survival as a top priority.   The US Army, after numerous tests, found that if the crew knew it could survive combat encounters, the crew efficiency and ability to use the tank was off the charts.  This is because the US Army knew that our Tankers in WW2 had zero confidence in their Shermans when facing German Armor.  They knew that Germany's tank were far superior to our own, and it deeply affected the crew performance and operation of US Armor warfare and doctrine.    Thus the M1 was designed to be near unimpenetrable in combat, with very few exceptions.    Our crews in the Gulf Wars fought as if the were invincible, as they nearly were, and the results spoke for themselves.  

I understand that they may have gotten rid of the drivers escape hatch- that is a mistake.   They are finally training tankers with the M-4-  all we got were Grease Guns and .45 1911 pistols LOl...  I still see that the Glorified Grunts still trying to keep up with the tankers, I hear they still have to go out and wind up the Bradley with a big key on the back so it can move.....

Edited by Silver_Lions, 15 May 2022 - 03:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users