Account Hack & Possible Ban

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Snaxolotl71 #1 Posted 20 November 2022 - 06:28 AM

Private

• Players
  • 7058 battles

Hey folks, I'm in a bit of a tough spot here.

4 days ago I woke up to two emails, one from Wargaming support saying that my account had been successfully transferred to a different server (which I did not authorize), and another email from Lesta Games (owned by Wargaming) informing me of the same thing. (It also gives the hacker's email in the second message, genius). 

Thinking that this would be a quick ten-minute fix, I hop onto Wargaming's support website and submit a ticket informing them of the problem and providing screenshots of the emails and ask that 1) my account be transferred back to NA and 2) that my old phone number be removed sot hat I can set up two-factor authentication with my new one (There is no way to remove an old phone number if you don't have access to it anymore, since removing it requires a code be sent to said phone number, as far as I know). Then I wait. And wait. And wait. Suddenly, it's been four days with radio silence on their end, even after two followup comments in the ticket. I also discovered that my account had been perma-banned for reasons that are enigmatic to me. 

Leaving aside that the fact that the hacker has done who knows what with my vehicles and in-game currency, I have now potentially lost thousands of dollars I put into this game and a banned account as punishment for the grave sin of... not being impervious to hackers.

I'll try to submit a follow-up ticket, but at this point I don't really know how far that's gonna get me.

__V_O_P__ #2 Posted 20 November 2022 - 12:37 PM

A Lapsed Pacifist

• Players
  • 71656 battles
  • [LAP]
So you didn’t say how you know the account has been perma banned. And also if you’re posting tickets against the account, presumably you still have access to it? Because this might mean you still have some connection to it.

Fingers crossed that the ban is WG way of putting the account into purgatory until it resolves the issue?

ultimate_sushi_45 #3 Posted 20 November 2022 - 04:42 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 6972 battles
  • [TROOP]

View Post__V_O_P__, on 20 November 2022 - 12:37 PM, said:

So you didn’t say how you know the account has been perma banned. And also if you’re posting tickets against the account, presumably you still have access to it? Because this might mean you still have some connection to it.

Fingers crossed that the ban is WG way of putting the account into purgatory until it resolves the issue?

Let us hope. Good luck Snax!

Spwaffle

chicken_stiffer #4 Posted 20 November 2022 - 06:45 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 23039 battles
  • [DEF_6]
this is why you have the two factor authentication set up in your email.  

acrisis #5 Posted 20 November 2022 - 10:12 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 22206 battles
  • [III-C]

For some strange reason this has happened to a few players now. I have had a few reports directly from users, and seen a few on Discord from players seeking help. 

WG is investigating.

Create a support ticket with Player Support through the website. 

BE     (+)   
>> Desktop mode  =>  + Recent topics   + Staff Posts 
    > WG Bugs & current update   > Feedback  
 > Videos   > Vehicle Bay   > Guides    

> PingPlotter >  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified using PingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii | Blitz University | Basic Training | Mentor | Pingplotter Guy

Snaxolotl71 #6 Posted 21 November 2022 - 01:13 AM

Private

• Players
  • 7058 battles

View Post__V_O_P__, on 20 November 2022 - 12:37 PM, said:

Yes, that's correct. I suppose I wasn't clear enough in stating that. I have access to the account, I can login and submit tickets and change things, but the in-game data has been transferred to another account

Snaxolotl71 #7 Posted 21 November 2022 - 01:14 AM

Private

• Players
  • 7058 battles

View Postchicken_stiffer, on 20 November 2022 - 06:45 PM, said:

this is why you have the two factor authentication set up in your email.  

" 2) that my old phone number be removed sot hat I can set up two-factor authentication with my new one (There is no way to remove an old phone number if you don't have access to it anymore, since removing it requires a code be sent to said phone number, as far as I know)"

Snaxolotl71 #8 Posted 21 November 2022 - 01:15 AM

Private

• Players
  • 7058 battles

View Postacrisis, on 20 November 2022 - 10:12 PM, said:

For some strange reason this has happened to a few players now. I have had a few reports directly from users, and seen a few on Discord from players seeking help. 

WG is investigating.

Create a support ticket with Player Support through the website. 

I've already submitted a ticket, should I submit another one?

Edited by Snaxolotl71, 21 November 2022 - 01:15 AM.

rosgrim #9 Posted 21 November 2022 - 05:07 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 123443 battles
  • [COD]

View PostSnaxolotl71, on 21 November 2022 - 01:13 AM, said:

Yes, that's correct. I suppose I wasn't clear enough in stating that. I have access to the account, I can login and submit tickets and change things, but the in-game data has been transferred to another account

that means 99.99% your account wasn't hacked: the 1st thing one do after hacking is to change the credentials to log into the game. In fact, you can't log in the same account with 2 devices at the same time.

It could be WOTB just messed up with a server change requests mixing 2 accounts (yours with the one that originally requested the change).

In other words they changed your account server with a request from another account (who knows how and why; may be a similar in-game nick name ?), then once you alerted them they blocked the account.

Your mobile number change just made more complicated the history but it is not really relevant since you still log in with your email and password. 

In that case I imagine both the accounts are banned till further investigation ? 

I just recommend to be very simple, short and clear in your communications with WOTB (you can't know how is the English language level of the person looking at your ticket)

If was me I would simply sent a ticket saying "I didn't requested to change server. Email attached. Please fix it"

1st thing 1st.

Then you could fix the 2 factor authentication later (you need the right mobile number when you want change the email and/or the password)

Edited by rosgrim, 21 November 2022 - 05:12 AM.

Snaxolotl71 #10 Posted 21 November 2022 - 05:14 AM

Private

• Players
  • 7058 battles

View Postrosgrim, on 21 November 2022 - 05:07 AM, said:

that means 99.99% your account wasn't hacked: the 1st thing one do after hacking is to change the credentials to log into the game.

It could be WOTB just messed up with a server change requests mixing 2 accounts (yours with the one that originally requested the change).

In other words they changed your account server with a request from another account (who knows how and why; may be a similar in-game nick name ?), then once you alerted them they blocked the account.

Your mobile number change just made more complicated the history but it is not really relevant since you still log in with your email and password. 

In that case I imagine both the accounts are banned till further investigation ? 

I just recommend to be very simple, short and clear in your communications with WOTB (you can't know how is the English language level of the person looking at your ticket)

If was me I would simply sent a ticket saying "I didn't requested to change server. Email attached. Please fix it"

1st thing 1st.

Then you could fix the 2 factor authentication later (you need the right mobile number when you want change the email and/or the password)

Ah, that sounds like a good explanation. Unfortunately I can't change my password due to 2FA being turned on with my old phone number which I no longer have access to. I already submitted a ticket with that information, I assume I should send another one about removing the old phone number?

Snaxolotl71 #11 Posted 21 November 2022 - 05:19 AM

Private

• Players
  • 7058 battles
Found a solution to the old phone number issue! Turns out WG lets you remove the old phone number if you don't have access to it, you just need to know what it is. The phone number wil be removed in two weeks. Thanks for the help guys

acrisis #12 Posted 21 November 2022 - 04:34 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 22206 battles
  • [III-C]

View PostSnaxolotl71, on 20 November 2022 - 08:15 PM, said:

I've already submitted a ticket, should I submit another one?

NO.

Wait for WG to reply to you.

BE     (+)   
>> Desktop mode  =>  + Recent topics   + Staff Posts 
    > WG Bugs & current update   > Feedback  
 > Videos   > Vehicle Bay   > Guides    

> PingPlotter >  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified using PingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii | Blitz University | Basic Training | Mentor | Pingplotter Guy

RonaldusMaximus_ #13 Posted 22 November 2022 - 12:30 PM

Self-Righteous Prick, and Annihilator PR Manager

• Players
  • 23824 battles
  • [III-C]

View Postrosgrim, on 21 November 2022 - 12:07 AM, said:

that means 99.99% your account wasn't hacked: the 1st thing one do after hacking is to change the credentials to log into the game. In fact, you can't log in the same account with 2 devices at the same time.

1st thing 1st.

This reminds me of the time a few players received tanks through VRT that were not from their accounts and some WG employees had keyed in the wrong digits.  Human error does occur.

Shaymin_Loves_You #14 Posted 22 November 2022 - 04:21 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7213 battles
It could happen to any one of us :ohmy:

Edited by Shaymin_Loves_You, 22 November 2022 - 04:46 PM.

Unicum, Don't Unicum

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.

The more you take, the less you have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users