Report provocative language communication racist Ban Moderation wargaming

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

illnagas #1 Posted 23 November 2022 - 12:19 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 72164 battles
  • [10_BR]

I’ve been seeing more and more players using random and obvious racist and bigoted comments during gameplay.  So does anything actually happen to these players after being reported for provocative communication?  

Specifically I’m not just referring to abrasive language about other players’ abilities or strategies, but phrases involving the N word and complaints about certain ethnicities tarnishing the quality of overall gameplay.  Ironically I don’t think I can post what they’re saying but trust me it’s quite clearly racist.

Im also noticing many of these accounts doing this have thousands of matches played which suggests that warGaming isn’t doing anything about it even if and when people report the behavior.  I know these things happen online but that doesn’t excuse anything.

so what if anything is warGaming doing?

Edited by illnagas, 23 November 2022 - 12:35 PM.

emmet21810 #2 Posted 23 November 2022 - 02:24 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 3744 battles
  • [-DAC-]

someone kept calling me the n word for killing them, after the battle I reported them. A few minutes later I got a notification that the player had received a warning but I think they should of gotten a chat ban. So I think wg sends them warnings which basically is a thing that says hey you’ve been saying bad things in chat don’t do that anymore, but if they keep saying bad stuff in chat I think wg gives them like a 1 day chat ban.

gl or smth like that-emmet21810-2022

RonaldusMaximus_ #3 Posted 23 November 2022 - 02:54 PM

Self-Righteous Prick, and Annihilator PR Manager

• Players
  • 23824 battles
  • [III-C]
Do what most adults do when kids say stupid things... Ignore them.

ultimate_sushi_45 #4 Posted 23 November 2022 - 03:02 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 6972 battles
  • [TROOP]

View PostRonaldusMaximus_, on 23 November 2022 - 02:54 PM, said:

Do what most adults do when kids say stupid things... Ignore them.

What if we can't act like adults and our small brains and our ego is hurt over this? (Not saying Im hurt over these things, I just turn chat off as soon as something racist and/or insulting goes through the chat so I don't have to deal with it, problemo solveano!)

Also, why do I feel like the NA server has gotten a bad vibe because of these goofy ah players yet 99.99% of the time you just laugh off their petty attempts at insulting you? are player egos hurt that much because they got called trash? (Leading them to then lash out, causing even more toxicity and havoc in the game, most likely distracting teammates and enemies and making the match littered with some form of daycare insults! Yay!).

Spwaffle

RonaldusMaximus_ #5 Posted 23 November 2022 - 03:19 PM

• Players
  • 23824 battles
  • [III-C]

View Postultimate_sushi_45, on 23 November 2022 - 10:02 AM, said:

What if we can't act like adults and our small brains and our ego is hurt over this? (Not saying Im hurt over these things, I just turn chat off as soon as something racist and/or insulting goes through the chat so I don't have to deal with it, problemo solveano!)

Also, why do I feel like the NA server has gotten a bad vibe because of these goofy ah players yet 99.99% of the time you just laugh off their petty attempts at insulting you? are player egos hurt that much because they got called trash? (Leading them to then lash out, causing even more toxicity and havoc in the game, most likely distracting teammates and enemies and making the match littered with some form of daycare insults! Yay!).

I grew up before participation trophies were a thing.. I feel that has something to do with it somehow.

JefeMac #6 Posted 23 November 2022 - 03:48 PM

Foro Fuego Jefe (Jubilado)

• Players
  • 11624 battles
  • [ROTI]
WG refuses, REFUSES to deal with its issues in chat. They’ve never displayed any concern for players, community contributors nor anyone when it comes to the absolutely horrific, sickening and disgusting behavior their own lack of action enables. Only when they’re forced to by community uprising (like over the KYS nonsense after WG “fixed” a vulnerability that allowed players to manipulate game action) have they ever even acknowledged they have issues. 

Edited by JefeMac, 23 November 2022 - 03:49 PM.

“And yet when you hear people say ‘conspiracy theory’ that’s designed to pluck this little part of your brain that says, well, that thing’s not true,” said Attkisson. “And I always keep an open mind and say, that crazy thing that they say is a conspiracy theory may well have some truth in it.”

JefeMac #7 Posted 23 November 2022 - 03:50 PM

• Players
  • 11624 battles
  • [ROTI]

View PostRonaldusMaximus_, on 23 November 2022 - 02:54 PM, said:

Do what most adults should do when kids say stupid things...beat them senseless. :teethhappy:

FIFY

Edited by JefeMac, 23 November 2022 - 03:52 PM.

“And yet when you hear people say ‘conspiracy theory’ that’s designed to pluck this little part of your brain that says, well, that thing’s not true,” said Attkisson. “And I always keep an open mind and say, that crazy thing that they say is a conspiracy theory may well have some truth in it.”

JefeMac #8 Posted 23 November 2022 - 03:51 PM

• Players
  • 11624 battles
  • [ROTI]

View Postemmet21810, on 23 November 2022 - 02:24 PM, said:

someone kept calling me the n word for killing them, after the battle I reported them. A few minutes later I got a notification that the player had received a warning but I think they should of gotten a chat ban. So I think wg sends them warnings which basically is a thing that says hey you’ve been saying bad things in chat don’t do that anymore, but if they keep saying bad stuff in chat I think wg gives them like a 1 day chat ban.

Zero tolerance is like abstinence, works every time it’s tried. 

Morphman11 #9 Posted 23 November 2022 - 09:33 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 32 battles
Their policy is that “player interactions” aren’t under their control. They have released a chat blocking system to not be liable for any interactions. There are the EULA guidelines, if you cared you would read them and use the appropriate actions that are laid out.
OFFFICIAL PUBLIC RELATIONS for the Morphman YouTube Channel

acrisis #10 Posted 23 November 2022 - 10:18 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 22206 battles
  • [III-C]

Warnings happen.
Chat bans happen.

But much shorter time durations and slower progressing than many veteran players, parents, etc would like. 

WG hides themselves between the fact that you have some chat options to limit what you see. Super poor excuse in my opinion and I continue to press WG to mute those folks.

WG finally seems to have gotten the idea that indeed they have to do something about rigging, trolling, ...

Always funny when banned in game people come out of the woodwork onto discord or the forum, claiming it was in response to somebody else doing something wrong ( which could be ), was only one time, they should have been given a warning for a first offense, ... 

With enough pressure they may finally do more about chat too.  

BE     (+)   
>> Desktop mode  =>  + Recent topics   + Staff Posts 
    > WG Bugs & current update   > Feedback  
 > Videos   > Vehicle Bay   > Guides    

> PingPlotter >  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified using PingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii | Blitz University | Basic Training | Mentor | Pingplotter Guy

JefeMac #11 Posted 23 November 2022 - 11:01 PM

• Players
  • 11624 battles
  • [ROTI]

View Postacrisis, on 23 November 2022 - 10:18 PM, said:

Warnings happen.
Chat bans happen.

But much shorter time durations and slower progressing than many veteran players, parents, etc would like. 

WG hides themselves between the fact that you have some chat options to limit what you see. Super poor excuse in my opinion and I continue to press WG to mute those folks.

WG finally seems to have gotten the idea that indeed they have to do something about rigging, trolling, ...

Always funny when banned in game people come out of the woodwork onto discord or the forum, claiming it was in response to somebody else doing something wrong ( which could be ), was only one time, they should have been given a warning for a first offense, ... 

interesting point AC. I’ve noticed an increased use of the term “player comfort” in WG’s communication releases. 

rosgrim #12 Posted 24 November 2022 - 05:34 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 123443 battles
  • [COD]

So suddenly an on line game could be a happy paradise free from racist comments, insults etc ?

Far from reality of every existing game and even distant from what real life is.

Something like: I wanna drive in a busy city avoiding people honking at me or inviting me to go to hell. Why doesn't the City Government do enough ?

Zero tolerance ? the way to reduce (by banning) probably more than 50% of the players: do you think WOTB - or any other gaming company - could implement that ?

II would add also that this is true in general for all the on line situations. Social media probably lead this.

Because the roots of those phenomena are that you are "anonymous" when on line (the concept is way far from simply your real name)

I'm just surprised adult (and I suppose smart) people keep talking about "wotb do something more".

Besides you also have tools to give you "confort"  (if you like to lose your time): you can send to wotb tickets.

In fact punishments are implemented every day.

People get chat banned.

Different thing is if you think that can produce a change. 

if you don't tolerate people chatting, WOTB made available a powerful instrument: turn off the chat.

The Chat makes no contribution at all at your game effectiveness or at your game experience. On contrary.

On line games (this is true in general; imagine how more true it is for a war game) are not the place to educate people or to make friends during the game itself.

You can get those using the community you chose to select: that is the clans, forum, discord channels etc.

This is not an opinion. This is the reality like it or not.

Rigging, trolling are different stuff. Those effect the game experience and you can't "mute" or neutralize it. In Fact Wotb if aware of those people take adeguate measures

Edited by rosgrim, 24 November 2022 - 05:44 AM.

_Zakalwe_ #13 Posted 24 November 2022 - 05:44 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 33607 battles
  • [OLDZ]

View Postillnagas, on 23 November 2022 - 04:19 AM, said:

I’ve been seeing more and more players using random and obvious racist and bigoted comments during gameplay.  So does anything actually happen to these players after being reported for provocative communication?  

Specifically I’m not just referring to abrasive language about other players’ abilities or strategies, but phrases involving the N word and complaints about certain ethnicities tarnishing the quality of overall gameplay.  Ironically I don’t think I can post what they’re saying but trust me it’s quite clearly racist.

Im also noticing many of these accounts doing this have thousands of matches played which suggests that warGaming isn’t doing anything about it even if and when people report the behavior.  I know these things happen online but that doesn’t excuse anything.

You used the in-game report? Only takes a second so there's no harm in it, but it's usually much more effective to submit a ticket through the player support web portal. From what I hear chat bans from support start at 3 days and too many in a year = permanent chat ban.

This is only for battle chat. Garage chat is a complete free-for-all, WG doesn't take reports on it.

Edited by _Zakalwe_, 24 November 2022 - 05:45 AM.

rosgrim #14 Posted 24 November 2022 - 05:49 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 123443 battles
  • [COD]

View Postacrisis, on 23 November 2022 - 10:18 PM, said:

Warnings happen.
Chat bans happen.

Then, as I'm saying since my start in the game, simply give more pre-set commands (players just needs few more for the purpose of the game)  and eliminate the in game chat.

Or just reserve the possibility to communicate between platoon members.

I dare everyone to give a valid reason to chat during a pub. game.

Useless or even counterproductive.  

Who is using the in game chat during battle in a productive way ? (if is even possible except for the platoon) 

Parents ? Sir the game is for 13yo....is there something remotely different from real life or social media here ? seriously ?

If not do you really think WOTB could be a paradise like that ? Sure, there is a chance; eliminating probably more than 50% of the player base. Before you mention it, permanent chat banning if the in-game chat keep existing, will end losing the player. Is that realistic ? Which would be the benefit ?

c'mon

Veterans/adults: most of the time I turn off the chat or even if not I don't even hear comments

Edited by rosgrim, 24 November 2022 - 06:04 AM.

thenerfdude #15 Posted 24 November 2022 - 01:13 PM

Ramming Speed!

• Players
  • 43425 battles
  • [_AUS_]

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me

:hiding:

I want to bring my pet teir 2 to teir 10 one more time - Visit my website!

JefeMac #16 Posted 24 November 2022 - 02:10 PM

• Players
  • 11624 battles
  • [ROTI]

View Postrosgrim, on 24 November 2022 - 05:34 AM, said:

So suddenly an on line game could be a happy paradise free from racist comments, insults etc ?

Far from reality of every existing game and even distant from what real life is.

Something like: I wanna drive in a busy city avoiding people honking at me or inviting me to go to hell. Why doesn't the City Government do enough ?

Zero tolerance ? the way to reduce (by banning) probably more than 50% of the players: do you think WOTB - or any other gaming company - could implement that ?

II would add also that this is true in general for all the on line situations. Social media probably lead this.

Because the roots of those phenomena are that you are "anonymous" when on line (the concept is way far from simply your real name)

I'm just surprised adult (and I suppose smart) people keep talking about "wotb do something more".

Besides you also have tools to give you "confort"  (if you like to lose your time): you can send to wotb tickets.

In fact punishments are implemented every day.

People get chat banned.

Different thing is if you think that can produce a change. 

if you don't tolerate people chatting, WOTB made available a powerful instrument: turn off the chat.

The Chat makes no contribution at all at your game effectiveness or at your game experience. On contrary.

On line games (this is true in general; imagine how more true it is for a war game) are not the place to educate people or to make friends during the game itself.

You can get those using the community you chose to select: that is the clans, forum, discord channels etc.

This is not an opinion. This is the reality like it or not.

Rigging, trolling are different stuff. Those effect the game experience and you can't "mute" or neutralize it. In Fact Wotb if aware of those people take adeguate measures

Ignoring problems (like evil) is not a solution, it’s surrender. 

And you’ve forgotten to mention the moment chat became an impact on game play (spamming chat with nonsense in battle)  - WG attempted an immediate remedy by shortening chat messages and thus “KYS” became popular. 

Edited by JefeMac, 24 November 2022 - 02:14 PM.

JefeMac #17 Posted 24 November 2022 - 02:13 PM

• Players
  • 11624 battles
  • [ROTI]

View Postrosgrim, on 24 November 2022 - 05:49 AM, said:

Then, as I'm saying since my start in the game, simply give more pre-set commands (players just needs few more for the purpose of the game)  and eliminate the in game chat.

Or just reserve the possibility to communicate between platoon members.

I dare everyone to give a valid reason to chat during a pub. game.

Useless or even counterproductive.  

Who is using the in game chat during battle in a productive way ? (if is even possible except for the platoon) 

Parents ? Sir the game is for 13yo....is there something remotely different from real life or social media here ? seriously ?

If not do you really think WOTB could be a paradise like that ? Sure, there is a chance; eliminating probably more than 50% of the player base. Before you mention it, permanent chat banning if the in-game chat keep existing, will end losing the player. Is that realistic ? Which would be the benefit ?

c'mon

Veterans/adults: most of the time I turn off the chat or even if not I don't even hear comments

This is the best solution. Expand command preset selections.  Eliminate the nonsense of typing chat in a mobile, 7 min game. 

__V_O_P__ #18 Posted 24 November 2022 - 02:22 PM

A Lapsed Pacifist

• Players
  • 71656 battles
  • [LAP]

View Postillnagas, on 23 November 2022 - 07:19 AM, said:

global chat has been suspended several times because of players abusing it. the game draws a range of people but - if I recall the WG surveys - mostly younger males. typically people with developing brains have less well formed abilities to make good decisions and they take more risks - they make poor choices and rarely think of the consequences (a good evolutionary strategy but not very sociable). add into that the nature of the game - it requires team work but rarely incentivizes players to think “team” over “self” and it’s quite a toxic mix at times. 

as others have pointed out, there are various ways of dealing with this at the moment: mute the chat, report, or ignore. none of these ways solve the issue, they simply alleviate it for you specifically. beyond that, it’s difficult to see what else WG should do that would deal with the issue effectively from everyone’s perspective. I prefer global chat because I enjoy the banter. 

RonaldusMaximus_ #19 Posted 24 November 2022 - 03:12 PM

• Players
  • 23824 battles
  • [III-C]
Am I in a minority who thinks that even on the worst days, blitz players are among the most civil, tame, and well behaved of any MMO community? 

__V_O_P__ #20 Posted 24 November 2022 - 05:03 PM

A Lapsed Pacifist

• Players
  • 71656 battles
  • [LAP]

View PostRonaldusMaximus_, on 24 November 2022 - 10:12 AM, said:

Am I in a minority who thinks that even on the worst days, blitz players are among the most civil, tame, and well behaved of any MMO community? 

i don’t have a point of comparison. the last online game I used to play regularly was the original Ghost Recon from 2001 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

but people are people - I assume that if the game draws the same crowd then they are pretty much going to act the same?

Also tagged with Report, provocative, language, communication, racist, Ban, Moderation, wargaming

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users