Trolling naming and shaming forum rules rules

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

CC_Sly #1 Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:10 PM

Community Lead

• Players
  • 3092 battles

Hello Tankers!

PLEASE NOTE: You can still post names and pictures with names, what you cannot do is post a thread that can be seen as naming and shaming!

Recently we have been reviewing the issue of naming and shaming on the forums, as it can lead to threads where hostility can thrive. We would like to provide you, our amazing players, a fun, safe, and positive environment to discuss and share your experience!

We have come to the decision that we will be  tightening the reins on the naming and shaming issue to help us work towards this goal.

What this means for the Tankers is that we would like you to avoid calling out individuals in forum topics and posts.

Here are some guidelines to help everyone see exactly where the line is:

• Don’t let names be visible. If you want to completely block out a name to protect the identity on the battle results screen or a screenshot, that is fine.
  • Posting about an unfavorable situation or even teammate is okay. Just nothing that would be able to reliably identify them can be visible.
    • “I had a game where this this Covenanter just sat at spawn and fired at a rock…”

*Screenshot of target with the vehicle name visible*

This is OK.

• “I had a game where this this Covenanter just sat at spawn and fired at a rock…” 

*Screenshot of target with the vehicle name visible* 

*Screenshot of battle results where CC_Sly is one of 2 Covenanters that played* 

This is not OK

If anyone has any questions regarding this announcement or our interpretations of the Forum Rules regarding naming and shaming, please feel free to contact me and I will be happy to answer any of your questions!

Thank you!

Edited by CC_Sly, 10 February 2015 - 01:01 AM.
clarification

FORMER

Please read the WoT Blitz Game and Forum rules.

Forum Rules - EULA TOS

Find us on Facebook & Twitter!

_SlapAttack_ #2 Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:11 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Gr8 change. Got to be careful what you post :hiding:

YOUTUBEhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPJb1bVccRUuM6ftHYSDVA

Heavy's: T110E5, IS-8, Tiger (P), T-150

TD'S: T110E3, T95, SU-152, Hetzer Baby, SU-100Y

Medium's/Light's: T-34-85, VK 30.01 P , Fury, M4A3E8, T2 Light, LTP, M3 Light

APaperTiger #3 Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:14 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 19131 battles

Wow. This is going to require some (basic) Photoshop skills, which not everyone has. (Not everyone has Photoshop, for that matter.) Presumably you think the benefit from more civil discussion is worth the crimp this rule is going to put in our discussion style?

Remember, we can't search forums for a name that appears as an image. If we start typing them in to get around this, it'll be easier, not harder, to shame players.

I hope the tradeoff is worth it. I've genuinely been impressed with the civility on this forum, even though 1) we're all shooting one another and 2) almost everyone here is better than I am.

jtemple507 #4 Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:21 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8582 battles
Any way we can block out the names from a mobile device? All of my images posted here are uploaded to Imgur and then to the forums straight from the device, so I might not be able to block names out which will obviously pose an issue with this rule.

Grinding Modules (order of research plan): ST-I (engine)SU-100 (guns, tracks, SU-100M1)

Grinding XP For Next Tier: T32 (108.8k of 169k)Centurion I (123.4k of 165k)VK2801 (24.5k of 50.8k)

Premiums/Keeper Tanks: IS-6, Panzer IV Anko SPType 59

Grinding credits for: IS-8T-54E75T28 Proto

CC_Sly #5 Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:24 PM

Community Lead

• Players
  • 3092 battles

View PostAPaperTiger, on 09 February 2015 - 03:14 PM, said:

Wow. This is going to require some (basic) Photoshop skills, which not everyone has. (Not everyone has Photoshop, for that matter.) Presumably you think the benefit from more civil discussion is worth the crimp this rule is going to put in our discussion style?

Remember, we can't search forums for a name that appears as an image. If we start typing them in to get around this, it'll be easier, not harder, to shame players.

I hope the tradeoff is worth it. I've genuinely been impressed with the civility on this forum, even though 1) we're all shooting one another and 2) almost everyone here is better than I am.

Well please keep in mind that these restrictions are to naming and shaming. Basically if you are going to be saying something negative about someone else, whether their plan was less than stellar or how they just couldn't seem to hit anything aside that rock, we don't want names being associated with those accusations.

Feel free to name someone as long as the context can't be interpreted as shaming.  

FORMER

Forum Rules - EULA TOS

weasleman #6 Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:27 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 12959 battles
  • [N1TRO]
Actually this is a pretty easy and helpful method. In game screenshot? You can turn off allies names in the setting and then take a screenshot.  End game results? Just crop out the name or draw over it in some app. It helps people not be stalked/harassed. Thank For clarifying it CC
h

jtemple507 #7 Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:29 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8582 battles

View PostCC_Sly, on 09 February 2015 - 05:24 PM, said:

Well please keep in mind that these restrictions are to naming and shaming. Basically if you are going to be saying something negative about someone else, whether their plan was less than stellar or how they just couldn't seem to hit anything aside that rock, we don't want names being associated with those accusations.

Feel free to name someone as long as the context can't be interpreted as shaming.  

Oh, okay.

So we can be like, "Look at this Mastery!" and have a screenshot of the Battle Results screen without having to block out anything? Couldn't that technically be shaming the enemy team though?

But what's not okay is something like "The potatoes are too many..." and having a screenshot of the Battle Results team showing four teammates with no damage done without blocking the names out?

Grinding Modules (order of research plan): ST-I (engine)SU-100 (guns, tracks, SU-100M1)

Grinding XP For Next Tier: T32 (108.8k of 169k)Centurion I (123.4k of 165k)VK2801 (24.5k of 50.8k)

Premiums/Keeper Tanks: IS-6, Panzer IV Anko SPType 59

Grinding credits for: IS-8T-54E75T28 Proto

KamikazeeDolphin #8 Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:30 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 2895 battles

View PostAPaperTiger, on 09 February 2015 - 06:14 PM, said:

This is going to require some basic cropping.

Fire in the Blowhole!Propaganda Design and Graphics Dolphin

Johnny Depputy Commander

of Auxilia. Long live Imperium!   "Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen!"

Kevin_Thebeast #9 Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:32 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 27835 battles
  • [DMONS]
This is very easy to do. I host on photobucket, which allows editing. I just use the smudge feature, and the whole thing takes like 10 seconds.

Mr_BushyBeard #10 Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:33 PM

The rent-a-cop

• Players
  • 13414 battles
  • [III-H]
Here's an idea: 

Due to human nature, emotions can get the best of people. We see it in game and out of it. 

How about if the mods can go in and edit a pic that someone posts to take out the name in the case that someone "forgets" to take it out? Those of us here who try to keep things above board will of course do our best to abide by this, but some just may not know how to blur a name out of a pic, much less post it on here. I mean, if a swear word can be *edited* out of a sentence, certainly a pic can be edited too.

Does that make sense?

Formerly “Augustus_Sohn”

CC_Sly #11 Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:36 PM

Community Lead

• Players
  • 3092 battles

View Postjtemple507, on 09 February 2015 - 03:29 PM, said:

Oh, okay.

So we can be like, "Look at this Mastery!" and have a screenshot of the Battle Results screen without having to block out anything? Couldn't that technically be shaming the enemy team though?

But what's not okay is something like "The potatoes are too many..." and having a screenshot of the Battle Results team showing four teammates with no damage done without blocking the names out?

Anything can be seen as naming and shaming if a person tried hard enough. Personally if I saw a "Hey look at this Mastery!" Thread I would be fine with it. It is more a use your best judgement.

Your second example is exactly what we would like to avoid. Spot on!

FORMER

Forum Rules - EULA TOS

_S3MPRIAN_ #12 Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:40 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11820 battles
  • [TSAR]

View PostAPaperTiger, on 09 February 2015 - 04:14 PM, said:

Use Paint (the computer one)

Edited by _S3MPRIAN_, 09 February 2015 - 11:40 PM.

Rocket_na #13 Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:41 PM

I Blame Rocket

• Players
  • 17079 battles
  • [SCSC]

Really people? How hard is this? 

Here is the clif notes.

DO NOT POST NEGATIVE THINGS THAT INCLUDE ANOTHER PLAYERS NAME.

That's it. It pretty much the same rule as before.

If you do the Ban Hammer gets engaged. 

Hi CC welcome to the Forums!

thunderthies #14 Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:05 AM

Not a Hoax

• Club Wargaming
  • 18036 battles
Sly! Welcome to the forums, dude. Thanks for making this thread!

Check out:   WoTB terms, phrases defined v. 2.0

Check out:    iMovie iOS video production tutorial

Check out:           WoTB beginner's guide, tactics

Check out:                   WoTB YouTube channels

Underdawg53 #15 Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:21 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 6149 battles
Interesting 

Teuhel Hunden's Community Manager                                                  

Naturemagic #16 Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:42 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3320 battles
Wow lame 

HisMaj #17 Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:48 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6927 battles
  • [WC]

View PostNaturemagic, on 09 February 2015 - 07:42 PM, said:

Wow lame

I have to admit, this is going to consume a lot more of my time than previously, now that I have to:

• transfer photo to drive from iPad,
  • download from drive on computer,
  • edit,
  • upload to drive again,
  • download from drive on iPad,
  • sign in to tinypic on iPad,
  • upload to tinypic on iPad,
  • copy url,
  • post on forums.

Tell me that that is not too much work to upload a single photo.:sceptic:

I'm back! 

You still remember me right? 

No?

:(

Klaus_Klavier #18 Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:52 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17129 battles
Go to Apple iTunes...search "censor" app....there Ya go

The E25 Whisperer

"Beware for those who those who stare into the abyss....lest the abyss stares back" 

Velvorent #19 Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:04 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 8582 battles
Got it, not that I shame anyone on forums, no worries on me. P.S. Loved the part when you said one of the covenanters were you.

CC_Sly #20 Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:04 AM

Community Lead

• Players
  • 3092 battles

Since it seems that the initial announcement on the "posting names" restriction was a little vague, I have updated the original post.

Again, we are not saying that you guys are no longer allowed to post any names. That would be ridiculous. 

We are saying that if you post something, ask yourself a question: Is this naming and shaming or can it be reasonably seen as naming and shaming? If yes, then no names. If no, then feel free to post names everywhere!  

FORMER

Forum Rules - EULA TOS

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users