How to Effectively use HESH on the battlefield

AWACS Tank Guides HESH

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: How to Effectively use HESH on the battlefield (39 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 5 battle in order to participate this poll.

Was this Guide Helpful. And after reading this guide will you be more willing to use HESH on your British Tanks?

1. Yeah! the Guide helped out a lot. (39 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No the Guide did not help out at all (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Hide poll

EdAWACSdenyY #1 Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:48 AM

Resident Nice Guy of the Forums

• Players
  • 33957 battles
  • [DEF_7]

For some context, HESH stands for High Explosive Squash Head. It's primarily used by the British Army who still hold a premium over this ammunition type even to this day. In real life, HESH is essentially a shell filled with Plastic Explosive. Upon impact against the hull of an enemy tank, the HESH shell squashes against the surface of the tank like a cow pat. A secondary fuse than ignites the plastic explosive which detonates, sending shock-waves throughout the tank's hull causing pieces of hot metal (known as spall) to be projected off the interior wall at high velocity killing the crew, igniting the ammunition or fuel etc. etc. So basically in real-life HESH does not have to pierce armour to do damage. 

However, I'm not here to talk to you chaps here about the real-life workings of HESH, you can Google that yourselves. I'm here to discuss how HESH works in game and when or when not to use HESH as well as where to aim for when using HESH against certain vehicles. 

So let us begin chaps!

What is HESH exactly in World of Tanks and what does it do?

HESH ammunition is the premium and standard ammunition used only by certain British Tanks. Tanks in WOT (PC) which use HESH as their premium ammunition are the Centurion 7/1 tier 9 Medium tank, The FV4202 Tier 10 British Medium tank, The FV215B Tier 10 heavy tank, The Charioteer tier 8 British Tank Destroyer, The FV215B 183 tier 10 British Tank Destroyer, and the FV4005 Stage II Tier 10 British Tank Destroyer.

In World of Tanks and World of Tanks Blitz, HESH ammo differs greatly to it's real life equivalent. In game, HESH ammunition functions as a High-Explosive shell...but with a much higher penetration value than regular HE ammunition. This is unique to the British Line of tanks. While most other tank's utilize APCR or HEAT as their premium ammunition for that extra penetration, HESH forgoes that extra penetration for increased damage instead.

For example. The Penetration value of HESH on the Centurion 7/1 is 210 mm compared to the 105mm of penetration it has on regular HE shells. 

But Ed, that sucks! What's the point of having a premium ammunition which doesn't have that extra penetration I need to pen that <insert heavily armoured tank name> frontally?

For some people used to just switching over to premium shells when they cannot penetrate a target, HESH will seem like a terrible choice of premium ammunition compared to HEAT or APCR. However, I don't see it that way. Sure you won't be penning E100 or E75's frontally with HESH. But you will be a menace to any tank out on the battlefield showing their flank to you or are generally poorly armoured. Against these tanks, HESH can be absolutely devastating allowing you to finish off those tanks much faster than had you been using standard ammunition. 

Neat! what else should I know about HESH?

Since HESH is basically HE ammo. It goes without saying that it is subject to the same game mechanics as HE ammo itself. Like HE, HESH is not subject to normalization, and like HE, if HESH penetrates the armour of an enemy tank, it will detonate inside and more likely damage any crew members and modules. If HESH fails to penetrate the armor, it will still explode outside the hull dealing minor splash damage. The downside to HESH having the same attributes as HE ammo is that its damage will be mitigated upon hitting spaced armor or tracks. Which can sometimes be very frustrating to players. Well this guide will help you to determine when it's best to use HESH and which tanks can it potentially devastate!

EdAWACS's words of advice when firing HESH.

• Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever fire HESH ammunition from long range or snipe enemy tanks with HESH. At these ranges it's much more difficult to hit weak spots. If you fire HESH at range, you could potentially waste a very valuable shot in a game where every shot counts. Only use HESH at point-blank ranges where you can easily target weak-spots, increasing your chances of dealing massive damage.
  •  HESH requires a generally flat surface to hit in order to deal the full damage specifications listed on the shell. Avoid aiming at well angled, curved, or other not at all flat surfaces unless the penetration of your HESH shell greatly over-matches the armor's effective thickness even when sloped.
  • Take your time to aim shots carefully when firing HESH. Avoid firing Clutch with HESH. Take your time and aim well. Trust me, It is worth it to aim well with a shell that costs 5200 credits per shot.
  • If the frontal armor of an enemy tank is too thick and the side armor of the tank is covered by tracks mostly, than the best option is to aim for the back of the tank in the engine deck.

Now that you know this much about HESH, Let's look over which vehicles HESH are much more effective against than others. 

German Tanks:

German tanks are some of my favourite targets to utilize HESH against since they have relative large profiles and have nice flat side turret armor and hull armor not covered by tracks. This makes it relatively easy to use HESH against German tanks if you know where to aim.

Heavy Tanks:

Tiger 1:

Spoiler

Tiger P:

Spoiler

Tiger 2:

Spoiler

VK4502A:

Spoiler

E75:

Spoiler

VK4502B:

Spoiler

E100:

Spoiler

Maus:

Spoiler

Tank Destroyers: 

JagdPanther: 

Spoiler

Ferdinand:

Spoiler

Jagdtiger:

Spoiler

Jagdpanzer E100:

Spoiler

Medium Tanks:

Panther:

Spoiler

Panther 2

Spoiler

E50:

Spoiler

E50M:

Spoiler

American Tanks:

American Tanks are my third favorite tanks to fire HESH at due to their weak side and rear armour. However when it comes to HESH, American tanks are a bit trickier to damage, especially from the side armor of most American tanks are covered with tracks which if you had read earlier, mitigates the full damage of HESH. But with careful aim and patience as well as applying some of the concepts I mentioned above, you can damage them with no problem.

Heavy Tanks:

T29:

Spoiler

T32:

Spoiler

M103: 

Spoiler

T110E5.

Edited by EdAWACSdenyY, 22 September 2015 - 06:04 PM.

Proud owner of Her Majesty's MBT the Centurion Mk 7/1

Armed with the Royal Ordnance 105 mm L7A1 Gun

RiezMich #2 Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:59 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 4731 battles
nice you did it :great: +1

_Wint3r_Hawk_ #3 Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:59 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7462 battles
Wow, that was fast! The guide looks good Ed! +1

Mentionable Tanks: T110E5, T30, Leopard PTA, Maus, IS-6

TITAN 

EdAWACSdenyY #4 Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:02 AM

• Players
  • 33957 battles
  • [DEF_7]
I'm not done yet. I've also decided to list out every single tank you could potentially face when in a Centurion 7/1 or an FV4202 and where you can use HESH on them as well as which tank is more favorable to use HESH on as opposed to other tanks.

Roguelupi82 #5 Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:03 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 1285 battles
Plus 1

FunkSoulChicken #6 Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:20 AM

Thunderfunk

• Players
  • 46219 battles
  • [EQ-TR]

Fantastic work!  Thanks for putting the time in and I'll look forward to seeing what else you lay out!

:great:  +1

Community Pledge Signer

Cocobeanboy #7 Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:43 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 5000 battles

Thank you for posting this, It's very helpful. +1 :)

EdAWACSdenyY #8 Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:17 AM

• Players
  • 33957 battles
  • [DEF_7]

Finished Descriptions on how to best use HESH against German Heavy Tanks. This is gonna take some time guys, bear with me. 

I will probably finish this guide tomorrow. Than we can have it moved over to the tutorials section of the forums.

Kaylis_Tzu #9 Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:37 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14289 battles
  • [GRIM]
Nice guide. Well done. Amazing detail.

"Blitz is a game governed by the aggressive use of force." - Kaylis Tzu

"It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it." - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Kevin_Thebeast #10 Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:10 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 25911 battles
  • [DMONS]

Here's a simulation done by Sidney Alford, arguably the father of modern EOD tech, one of the world's most un-sung heroes, and as batty as Britain can make them!

Static2k #11 Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:03 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 28943 battles
  • [SRT-]
Very nice guide. Def useful info for the British tanks drivers. +1 

EdAWACSdenyY #12 Posted 20 February 2015 - 12:18 AM

• Players
  • 33957 battles
  • [DEF_7]

I've now completely finished detailing how to effectively use HESH against every German tank you will encounter on the battlefield. Check it out either to find out how to get the most out of your HESH shells or what you should expect if you drive any of these German Tanks and come under fire from a British tank.

I'm now going to move onto the American Tanks now. Stay tuned as I update this guide. Almost there guys.

Also if a mod of someone from the Admin team could move this guide to the Beginners Tutorial's section that would be nice!

thunderthies #13 Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:22 AM

Not a Hoax

• Club Wargaming
  • 18003 battles
Superbly put together guide, my friend. Excellent job. 

Check out:   WoTB terms, phrases defined v. 2.0

Check out:    iMovie iOS video production tutorial

Check out:           WoTB beginner's guide, tactics

Check out:                   WoTB YouTube channels

Fherot #14 Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:33 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 10531 battles

Excellent guide and I am quite familiar with HESH irl, I had no idea we got that on the 2 Brits in the game.

I have the Challenger 1 crew and technical manual which goes over the Royal Ordnance 120mm including it's ammunition types.

Looks like Britain has found a manufacturer in Belgian to finally make some 120mm ammunition for their Challenger 2's since England still stubbornly sticks to a rifled gun (and it's far too expensive to convert to German smoothbore anyway).

I really REALLY want my Centurion now! (Have the technic manuals for Mk I-III and crew manual for Mk 7 since I'm a history nerd). I've run into a snag though, the Crusader .... 5 losses in a row. Absolutely loved all the Cruisers and Covenanter but I may free exp my way to Cromwell... Perhaps a guide on serving Her Majesty all the way to Tier IX?

#1 NA in rage-selling every tank. #2 NA buying them back.

EdAWACSdenyY #15 Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:42 AM

• Players
  • 33957 battles
  • [DEF_7]
Bumping this guide for reference.

blindsniper74 #16 Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:05 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 41259 battles
  • [III-R]
Thanks Ed...  your guide has rejuvenated my grind in the 7/1.  I really like that tank because of it!

EdAWACSdenyY #17 Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:19 AM

• Players
  • 33957 battles
  • [DEF_7]

View Postblindsniper74, on 12 March 2015 - 04:05 AM, said:

Thanks Ed...  your guide has rejuvenated my grind in the 7/1.  I really like that tank because of it!

Glad to hear that! I was actually suprised at how many people did not know how to use HESH, and really it is something that should be embraced. You will find your games a lot more fun when you deal a penetration with HESH.

bigpoppadaddy #18 Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:25 PM

There's only one real Daddy, and that's ME!

• Players
  • 74723 battles
  • [PURPL]

Ed,

I really enjoy reading all of your articles and look forward to future updates. +1

Will you include Russian tanks eventually?  Or is there armor just to thick on the higher tier tanks for HESH to be effective?

I Love it when you call me Big Poppa, I love it when she calls me Big Daddy!

EdAWACSdenyY #19 Posted 28 March 2015 - 03:30 AM

• Players
  • 33957 battles
  • [DEF_7]

View Postbigpoppadaddy, on 27 March 2015 - 03:25 PM, said:

Ed,

I really enjoy reading all of your articles and look forward to future updates. +1

Will you include Russian tanks eventually?  Or is there armor just to thick on the higher tier tanks for HESH to be effective?

Yes I will, include. I just need some spare time.

Droidekool #20 Posted 28 March 2015 - 02:37 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 26559 battles
  • [RBLN]
nice. nice.just nice

Tier X: E100, Jadgpanzer E100, E50M, T110E5, T110E3, IS7, Object 268

Tier IX: E 75, E 50, M 103, IS 8, Jagdtiger, Object 704T95

Premium Tank: Tankenstein, Jadgpanther

Also tagged with AWACS Tank Guides, HESH