• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

reluctanttheist #21 Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:19 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 17827 battles
  • [III-H]

View PostLephturn, on 23 February 2015 - 08:21 PM, said:

That said - I had the most success with this in a game driving my IS months ago. I was in a Tier VIII and IX match and couldn't pen with gold with the 122mm so I reverted to lobbing HE. The top shots were amazing, I was doing 300-400 damage to tanks I had not hope of damaging otherwise.

Interesting, and a great tip.  I guess you want to be some distance away so the shell has to arc and drop, eh?  I've been using HEs up close, but haven't tried a long shot in a while.  Mostly because Russian shell accuracy is really hit or miss (and mostly miss) at long distances with the 122.  I'll have to see if the HEs traverse more of an arc than the APs.

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Watch the WoTB Users Manual Series  | Click here if you have lag  |  The best settings for your iOS device |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  | Get good: watch Bushka! | Check out tanks on Tank Compare

Lephturn #22 Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:52 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17811 battles
  • [III-S]

Yes definitely use HE at long distance. For two reasons really, yes you want a high enough arc for the round to hit the top where it's weaker. The second reason is that AP and APCR derive the damage from kinetic energy almost entirely - so damage AND penetration go down over distance.  Because with HE the majority of the damage is provided by the explosive in the shell, that component is 100% over any distance. So lobbing shells long distance (especially in big Russian guns) with AP... even if you hit.. it may not penetrate and then if it does you may do less than half of the damage you would at close range.

The other beauty of HE is that it doesn't bounce and you don't need to aim as carefully. it WILL detonate as long as you hit the target, and if you land on top of the tank there is a good chance you find a weak spot and do very good damage. This works so well in Russian tanks like the IS with a large caliber gun because of course the shell is larger so there is more explosive packed in there. If you are using a 57mm or even the 85mm it probably won't work out very well, but hey it's often better than your other option of no or very low damage.

Lephturn Triarii Signature Media Producer

Host of the World of Tanks Blitz podcast TANK BOOM!

Search for "tank boom" on iTunes, Stitcher, SoundCloud or your podcast player of choice!

Android user? Get the Tank Boom! App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tank.boom

shooter018 #23 Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:43 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14052 battles
  • [VIK]

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE TRUE DERP TENK.

KV2 WILL NEVER BE BEAT

cheasesteak #24 Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:46 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15458 battles
  • [DOGZ]