Jump to content


M8A1 review

m8a1 1.7 new TDs

  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

KimJongSpoon #1 Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:40 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 10561 battles
  • 1,071
  • [WT]
  • Member since:
    07-06-2014

I heave heard a lot of hype both about the American turreted TD line, so after patch 1.7 went live I bought myself an M8A1, and it almost instantly became one of my favorite tanks. It is fast, it has awesome DPM with the 57mm gun, and it as a very quick aim time, all of the things that I like in a glass cannon TD. I thoroughly enjoyed the grind to the T67 (first game in T67 was a pool's medal with 2.7k damage), and I think that anybody looking for a thoroughly fun low-tier Tank Destroyer should get their hands on an M8A1 ASAP. Below is a quick gameplay video of this Tier IV terror. I hope you guys enjoy the video.

 

 

Thanks,

Kim


Tier 10s: E100, FV4202, FV215b, Death Star, Mighty Maus, E50M, T110E4, 

Check out our YouTube Channel: WoTeam

Favorite tanks: Both FVs, Panther II, VK 30.01 D, Pz. III/IV, T49, T-34-85 Victory, Comet


Three60Mafia #2 Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:59 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 13082 battles
  • 5,171
  • Member since:
    01-04-2015
I see things everywhere and holy hell... they are not very good. 

Click on signature to be taken to full stat page!


KimJongSpoon #3 Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:01 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 10561 battles
  • 1,071
  • [WT]
  • Member since:
    07-06-2014

View PostThree60Mafia, on 26 February 2015 - 10:59 PM, said:

I see things everywhere and holy hell... they are not very good. 

 

I believe you speak of Hellcat syndrome. Just because your TD with no armor can go 58kph, doesn't mean it should. I see a lot of dumb M8 and T67 drivers too, but one in the right hands can be absolutely devastating. 

Tier 10s: E100, FV4202, FV215b, Death Star, Mighty Maus, E50M, T110E4, 

Check out our YouTube Channel: WoTeam

Favorite tanks: Both FVs, Panther II, VK 30.01 D, Pz. III/IV, T49, T-34-85 Victory, Comet


Three60Mafia #4 Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:47 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 13082 battles
  • 5,171
  • Member since:
    01-04-2015

View PostKimJongSpoon, on 27 February 2015 - 01:01 AM, said:

 

I believe you speak of Hellcat syndrome. Just because your TD with no armor can go 58kph, doesn't mean it should. I see a lot of dumb M8 and T67 drivers too, but one in the right hands can be absolutely devastating. 

 

As KV-1, I see those M8's zipping around and I don't really care what they do. All I see them doing is drive in middle of everyone and blow up. 

T49, however, is supposed to be way better at this hit and run business. 

Click on signature to be taken to full stat page!


mehliveat #5 Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:10 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 300 battles
  • 3,196
  • Member since:
    08-05-2014

View PostThree60Mafia, on 27 February 2015 - 04:47 PM, said:

 

As KV-1, I see those M8's zipping around and I don't really care what they do. All I see them doing is drive in middle of everyone and blow up. 

T49, however, is supposed to be way better at this hit and run business. 

 

Yeah but that goes for every noob driven tank.  The M8 is a pretty solid tank for its tier, the 110 pen can do quite a bit of damage to your KV1, especially with ROF, speed and good camo.

 

As with any TD, go to the typical sniping spots first, but you can very easily relocate, flank & snipe, as the game progresses and enemies spotted.  Its also pretty good as a support to the mediums advance, stay slightly behind and provide some extra support fire.

 

The T49 is actually very similar to the M8.  The main difference is the 160 alpha instead of 90.  I haven't had too many games in the T49, but I actually tried rush the hill on Mines once.  Got there first, dealt quite a bit of damage vs a A20 and T49, and had to come down the cliff as the noob team went the long way around the town and I had no support.  So it can take on a medium's role to some degree.  The main issue to both these tanks is the turret traverse, making COD, and quick snap shots really hard, the big turning circle doesn't help either.  

 

I just cracked the 900 average damage barrier on the T49 after 40 games, which is getting close to my KV-1 average of 950 odd, although the WR is still off due to the 8 straight losses at the start of the grind. But I am sure that there plenty of people out there doing much better than me.

 

Both these tanks have the speed and fire power, you just need to make sure you are at the right places to maximise its effectiveness.  But yeah, its definitely not a noob friendly tank, you need to be familiar with the maps and typical tactics, as one wrong move and you are dead, and I have died quite a few times with zero damage after reading the game wrong......

 



KimJongSpoon #6 Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:07 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 10561 battles
  • 1,071
  • [WT]
  • Member since:
    07-06-2014

View Postmehliveat, on 27 February 2015 - 04:10 AM, said:

 

Yeah but that goes for every noob driven tank.  The M8 is a pretty solid tank for its tier, the 110 pen can do quite a bit of damage to your KV1, especially with ROF, speed and good camo.

 

As with any TD, go to the typical sniping spots first, but you can very easily relocate, flank & snipe, as the game progresses and enemies spotted.  Its also pretty good as a support to the mediums advance, stay slightly behind and provide some extra support fire.

 

The T49 is actually very similar to the M8.  The main difference is the 160 alpha instead of 90.  I haven't had too many games in the T49, but I actually tried rush the hill on Mines once.  Got there first, dealt quite a bit of damage vs a A20 and T49, and had to come down the cliff as the noob team went the long way around the town and I had no support.  So it can take on a medium's role to some degree.  The main issue to both these tanks is the turret traverse, making COD, and quick snap shots really hard, the big turning circle doesn't help either.  

 

I just cracked the 900 average damage barrier on the T49 after 40 games, which is getting close to my KV-1 average of 950 odd, although the WR is still off due to the 8 straight losses at the start of the grind. But I am sure that there plenty of people out there doing much better than me.

 

Both these tanks have the speed and fire power, you just need to make sure you are at the right places to maximise its effectiveness.  But yeah, its definitely not a noob friendly tank, you need to be familiar with the maps and typical tactics, as one wrong move and you are dead, and I have died quite a few times with zero damage after reading the game wrong......

 

 

^This guy knows what he is doing in his new TDs. I also tried to rush the hill on mines once in the M8, and I made it, but a Wolfpack of 3 BT-7s with experienced drivers ended that trip pretty quick...

Tier 10s: E100, FV4202, FV215b, Death Star, Mighty Maus, E50M, T110E4, 

Check out our YouTube Channel: WoTeam

Favorite tanks: Both FVs, Panther II, VK 30.01 D, Pz. III/IV, T49, T-34-85 Victory, Comet


rhinotx #7 Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:45 PM

    Junior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 17282 battles
  • 140
  • [MFW]
  • Member since:
    09-06-2014

View PostKimJongSpoon, on 27 February 2015 - 02:07 PM, said:

 

^This guy knows what he is doing in his new TDs. I also tried to rush the hill on mines once in the M8, and I made it, but a Wolfpack of 3 BT-7s with experienced drivers ended that trip pretty quick...

 

I actually survived a hill rush with another M8 this morning, but we killed the enemy M8 that went up... That game went pretty well.

Ivor22 #8 Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:54 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Players
  • 4152 battles
  • 30
  • Member since:
    07-03-2014
I can't seem to figure the m8. My wn is hovering around 15%.
Comet for the win!

beancurd127 #9 Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:37 PM

    Junior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 15248 battles
  • 228
  • Member since:
    06-28-2014

View PostKimJongSpoon, on 27 February 2015 - 06:01 AM, said:

 

I believe you speak of Hellcat syndrome. Just because your TD with no armor can go 58kph, doesn't mean it should. I see a lot of dumb M8 and T67 drivers too, but one in the right hands can be absolutely devastating. 

 

this is same reason why 80% of all stuggs that I see are the first to die.  The speed is a blessing and a curse

Tier 10: E100, E50M, FV215b, FV4202, IS-7,Obj 268, T-62A

Working On: E5


Three60Mafia #10 Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:55 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 13082 battles
  • 5,171
  • Member since:
    01-04-2015

View Postbeancurd127, on 27 February 2015 - 12:37 PM, said:

 

this is same reason why 80% of all stuggs that I see are the first to die.  The speed is a blessing and a curse

 

Yeah StuGs are always like yolo. They drive into front line and then stand there exposed to all fire. 

 

Click on signature to be taken to full stat page!


acrisis #11 Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:12 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 20542 battles
  • 11,246
  • [III]
  • Member since:
    12-27-2014
... Disclaimer. Results

View PostKimJongSpoon, on 27 February 2015 - 05:40 AM, said:

...  I think that anybody looking for a thoroughly fun low-tier Tank Destroyer should get their hands on an M8A1 ASAP ...

 

I think you forgot the disclaimer:

Result not typical. Professional driver on closed course.

 

Thoroughly enjoyed the video.

Have had a few battles like that, where as long as nobody nor two or three enemies simultaneously focus on you, you can do some  serious damage little bits at a time. However. One can't hide enough. Have one covenanter pull up to you, while you're hiding from another enemy and bye bye. And there's been plenty of games where I carried hard, top or second on the summary, with all 7 allies dead. For me the M8 has the lowest win rate of any TD I've used, probably because at 80 to maybe 100 DMG per shot, facing + enemies, it just doesn't have enough punch per shot. And the top gun seems too slow in practice. Enemies kill you while you're reloading.


 

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

 

     BE  (+)   

    Got lag issues ?  >> Pingplotter thread  << 
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii | Blitz University | Basic Training  | Mentor
 


KimJongSpoon #12 Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:46 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 10561 battles
  • 1,071
  • [WT]
  • Member since:
    07-06-2014

View Postacrisis, on 27 February 2015 - 06:12 PM, said:

... Disclaimer. Results

 

I think you forgot the disclaimer:

Result not typical. Professional driver on closed course.

 

Thoroughly enjoyed the video.

:D

Thanks acrisis, I appreciate the compliment!


Tier 10s: E100, FV4202, FV215b, Death Star, Mighty Maus, E50M, T110E4, 

Check out our YouTube Channel: WoTeam

Favorite tanks: Both FVs, Panther II, VK 30.01 D, Pz. III/IV, T49, T-34-85 Victory, Comet


mrvndmrtian_11B #13 Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:32 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Players
  • 3008 battles
  • 59
  • Member since:
    11-21-2014
I had one for a little bit, but got rid of it for the t49,  very fast but not high pen for me, t 49 however both fast and with good pen, I don't brag but, both tanks can carry a game when done right, I have the medals to prove it.  game plan is to snipe, cause damage and as soon as light goes off, scoot to other spot or behind the big guys then move again and cause Moore damage. Both m8a1 and t49 can cause havoc if used right. But can also crumble like rice paper when tagged.

mrvndmrtian_11B #14 Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:40 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Players
  • 3008 battles
  • 59
  • Member since:
    11-21-2014

View PostThree60Mafia, on 26 February 2015 - 10:47 PM, said:

 

As KV-1, I see those M8's zipping around and I don't really care what they do. All I see them doing is drive in middle of everyone and blow up. 

T49, however, is supposed to be way better at this hit and run business. 

I was on a team of three t49s , warned them not to rush the windmill, 1 did and died instantly, the other one and myself survived and ended up with multiple kills. 



KimJongSpoon #15 Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:02 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 10561 battles
  • 1,071
  • [WT]
  • Member since:
    07-06-2014

View Postmrvndmrtian_11B, on 01 March 2015 - 10:32 PM, said:

I had one for a little bit, but got rid of it for the t49,  very fast but not high pen for me, t 49 however both fast and with good pen, I don't brag but, both tanks can carry a game when done right, I have the medals to prove it.  game plan is to snipe, cause damage and as soon as light goes off, scoot to other spot or behind the big guys then move again and cause Moore damage. Both m8a1 and t49 can cause havoc if used right. But can also crumble like rice paper when tagged.

 

The T49 really is a beast. I got a pools medal in my first battle, people just underestimated me, and didn't may me any attention until they realized I had done all of the damage to them...

Tier 10s: E100, FV4202, FV215b, Death Star, Mighty Maus, E50M, T110E4, 

Check out our YouTube Channel: WoTeam

Favorite tanks: Both FVs, Panther II, VK 30.01 D, Pz. III/IV, T49, T-34-85 Victory, Comet


Player_39363936 #16 Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:02 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 69964 battles
  • 4,269
  • [EWENS]
  • Member since:
    06-29-2014

View PostThree60Mafia, on 27 February 2015 - 05:59 AM, said:

I see things everywhere and holy hell... they are not very good. 

 

I get what your saying and I don't entirely disagree but I've enjoyed playing mine and had some good luck with it.  It has russian medium speed and if you use that speed to gain tactical position and attack targets that don't really see you it can be quite an effective tank.   If you have experience with slow turning turretts it will be a lot easier to drive this thing and stay out of positions where that can hurt you.   The gun does more than decent damage, and the accuracy is excellent compared to the next tank in the line.

callmejun #17 Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:19 AM

    Junior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 6976 battles
  • 170
  • [FIO]
  • Member since:
    07-01-2014

View PostThree60Mafia, on 27 February 2015 - 05:55 PM, said:

 

Yeah StuGs are always like yolo. They drive into front line and then stand there exposed to all fire. 

 

 

well u know stuG, is a sturmgeschütz, which means assault gun

lol






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users