theory how to strategy tactics win rate

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

zcostilla #1 Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:00 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 20402 battles
  • [III-R]
When I first signed up, my win rate was consistently around 46%. I got into the game to play with my kids (who were PC players), but I found myself really enjoying it for the content. Once I really got into it, I started looking up better tactics, but I find myself frustrated repeatedly by people who think that if they can just be a good individual fighter, then they should win. The truth is, that will never bring real success here. After thinking about it, I put together some ideas and posted my epiphany back in the fall. Long story short, after applying them, I raised my win rate to over 55% and I decided to clarify and restate my ideas on battle flow. It's mostly conceptual and theory, as it would take forever to cover tactics for every possible situation. I hope you get something out of this, it helped me a lot to play this way.

Concepts:
  1. Battle Flow: The spider analogy. A spider keeps its feet on the web and can instantly appraise where the intruder's presence is, roughly how strong, and whether to fight or flee. THE MINI MAP IS YOUR WEB! Any tanker who ignores the mini map may fight well as an individual but hurt the team. This is a team game. As the battle progresses, it will ebb and flow and you must be ready for adjustments.
  2. Battle Plan: How you prepare to fight based on the information you have. Initial battle plan will be based on team configuration, BUT YOU MUST ADJUST INSTANTLY AND ON THE FLY! Any tanker who fails to adjust properly is not contributing to the best of their capability. Initial battle plan is only good until the first tank dies, after that, it's all adjustments. Use the mini map, SOS calls, and chat to get her information needed to make sind and informed adjustments, or you are not pulling your weight.
  3. Battle Rhythm: Your natural and habitual pace and routine. A tanker with good battle rhythm knows when to move fast and when to proceed cautiously. Should I move hastily and risk a possible shot in my tank to get initial position? (i.e. The mediums on Mines and Oasis Palms and the heavies in Fort Despair and Rockfield) Or should I proceed with more caution and deliberate movement. Battle rythm also means traversing ridges and turning corners with your guns turned and ready to fire. IN SHORT, TAKE EVERY PREPARATION TO MINIMIZE REACTION TIME!
  4. Target Prioritization: Maximizing effectiveness. NEVER CONFUSE EFFICIENCY FOR EFFECTIVENESS ON THE BATTLEFIELD, IT COULD COST YOU YOUR LIFE! Getting this balance is critical. In your present skirmish,one shot kills should be first and your closest opportunity next. Some circumstances will override this (i,e, a far superior tank enters the skirmish). Know when it is best to sacrifice for the team. Sometimes you have time to evacuate from the threat, and sometimes you have to jump on the grenade to save everyone else around. If the present skirmish is in hand and your side has a numerical advantage, THE MOST EFFECTIVE ACTION IS TO PREPARE FOR THE NEXT SKIRMISH. And lastly, don't ignore SOS calls. Every gun has the ability to inflict some damage. Sometimes it isn't tactically possible or sound to take that risk, but usually it is. Taking a shot for a teammate might allow him to make a kill in someone else. Usually you'll have an opportunity on the side of a turret, or from behind and do some good damage. If nothing else, you popping in that skirmish might slow down the enemy's reaction time againt your teammate as he adjusts to new information. In battle, we call this cover fire.
  5. Role Fulfilment: Being a team player. First and foremost, fight according to your tank's class. If you want to snipe, then drive a TD. If the situation demands it, you can get away with sniping in A German or British medium, but that should be on an as needed basis (i.e. your medium is not top tier, or the map dynamics make it the best strategy at the time). NO TANK CLASS IS DESIGNATED TO CAMP! If you aren't consistently engaging with fire, you need better position. Scouting is effective and the game recognizes it with generous experience for damage caused with your assistance. Play your tanks according to their strengths. Most of all, FIGHT FOR YOUR BROTHERS AND WIN! If you can't fight together you'll die alone.
  6. Communicate Effectively: Give your teammates as much info as possible to improve their ability to make sound decisions. The reality of the game is that there a lot of spiders on the web. Your communiques are imortant, from SOS calls, to the short planning messages (ie "Hill" or "Dunes" as does Using the attacking quick chat to highlight snipers. Staying to watch the game is helpful if you can be an extra set of eyes. I have the fault of probably chatting too much in game, but it's usually about tactics. I'll admit I am pretty opinionated, and sometimes my pride gets the better of me. But you can't accuse me of not trying to help.
  7. Debrief Thoroughly: close out this battle in your mind before starting another. It's not actually possible to do two things at once mentally. Multitasking is switching back and forth really fast. Everything you take into battle is one more thing to think about, and one more fraction of a second against your reaction time. Go over your stats, get your gripes out of your system, and move on. If you see the same guy who you thought was a Noob from the last match, he may have a good round this time. Sometimes decent players make mistakes, and sometimes we can't recover from them. But each round is a new opportunity. Same goes for you. One good round doesn't predict the outcome of the next; there are simply too many variables.

-COMMUNITY PLEDGE SIGNER-

Casual gamer and father of three FIVE other WoT Blitz players.

Augustus_Sohn #2 Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:23 AM

The rent-a-cop

• Players
  • 13373 battles
  • [III-H]
Very nice info! I can't get past the 54% mark. I get close and then run into a long streak of losses>wins. 

WHO NEEDS ARTY WHEN YOU’VE GOT RNG TO MAGICALLY SCREW YOU?

Kaylis_Tzu #3 Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:26 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14289 battles
  • [GRIM]
Well written Z. Now you just need to catch your son's WR. 

"Blitz is a game governed by the aggressive use of force." - Kaylis Tzu

"It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it." - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Augustus_Sohn #4 Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:33 AM

The rent-a-cop

• Players
  • 13373 battles
  • [III-H]

View PostKaylis_Tzu, on 02 March 2015 - 12:26 AM, said:

Don't we all. Dang kids making us look old. 

Pig_Hammer #5 Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:19 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 2388 battles
One of the sayings in the Army artillery was shot, move and communicate is key to a successful mission. You have to have adaptation to the eb and flow on the battlefield. You summed it up nicely Z! Very well written!

Aivris #6 Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:35 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8126 battles
  • [PBKAC]
Thank you very much for the tips, and congratulations on your success! :medal:

zcostilla #7 Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:54 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 20402 battles
  • [III-R]

View PostKaylis_Tzu, on 02 March 2015 - 02:26 AM, said:

I can tell you now that's simply not going to happen. He's in the WOTBStars top 100 with a win rate near 65%.

The boys played the PC version, which has no overlays, so he already knew the tanks' strengths and weaknesses, plus how to side scrape, go hull down, etc. I'm no statistician, but I'm nearly 7000 battles in, and it took me over 2000 battles to raise my rate. So the law of averages means that Id need TO GET A LOT BETTER FOR A LONG TIME. My current win rate over the last couple hundred battles should be around 60%, maybe a touch higher. As such, I noticed my progress has incrementally slowed down. 

I'm nowhere near as intuitive a player as he is, but I am satisfied where I am and certainly proud of him. When we platoon, he continually amazes me. I think I had a good match and he blows me away, statistically. All these tactics are things he does naturally, but I have to do them intentionally. That's why he's a whole other level above where I am.

Zac

zcostilla #8 Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:19 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 20402 battles
  • [III-R]

View PostAugustus_Sohn, on 02 March 2015 - 02:33 AM, said:

Don't we all. Dang kids making us look old. 

they do, don't they. But it's worth it. Of all my successes, military, ministry, business, being a husband and father tops them all!

okaviator #9 Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:23 PM

0kadonut

• Players
  • 34380 battles
  • [RGN]

Never  knew you had a son that plays wotb..

What is your sons wot username? O.o

Edited by okaviator, 02 March 2015 - 02:23 PM.

Rich1509 #10 Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:33 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 34345 battles
  • [O_C_S]
Great job. Love the phrase you wrote " if you can't fight together you will die alone ." So true . Seen that so many times with campers

zcostilla #11 Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:34 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 20402 battles
  • [III-R]
Scostilla is the one on the top 100. That makes him an unicum, right? Also look out for Wolferine, AlexanderFH, mncostilla, and JustAnotherCostilla. The last two jumped in when they brought WoT Blitz to Android.

Asiaticus #12 Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:52 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 16340 battles
  • [III-S]

Nice summary, thanks. I've been on a similar journey. You and I have a similar number of battles and a similar WR. Great job.

You Costillas are definitely a force to be reckoned with.

Augustus_Sohn #13 Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:36 PM

The rent-a-cop

• Players
  • 13373 battles
  • [III-H]
So many Costillas...:)

zcostilla #14 Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:47 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 20402 battles
  • [III-R]

View PostAugustus_Sohn, on 02 March 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

So many Costillas...:)

I get that a lot. Lol!

Three60Mafia #15 Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:00 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 13080 battles
  • [FLOOP]

I find that WR (the overall average that shows up on your profile) is calculated in a funny way. A tank that you have 100 or so battles in, will affect your WR way more than a tank with more than 300. 

So play your least-played tanks, win games, and watch that rate go up. 

Click on signature to be taken to full stat page!

KimJongSpoon #16 Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:58 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10561 battles
  • [WT]

View PostThree60Mafia, on 02 March 2015 - 01:00 PM, said:

I find that WR (the overall average that shows up on your profile) is calculated in a funny way. A tank that you have 100 or so battles in, will affect your WR way more than a tank with more than 300. 

WR is simply calculated by taking the total number of wins that you have and dividing this by your total number of games. This can be confirmed at wotbstars.com To increase WR, simply win more games...

Tier 10s: E100, FV4202, FV215b, Death Star, Mighty Maus, E50M, T110E4, 

Check out our YouTube Channel: WoTeam

Favorite tanks: Both FVs, Panther II, VK 30.01 D, Pz. III/IV, T49, T-34-85 Victory, Comet

zcostilla #17 Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:29 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 20402 battles
  • [III-R]

View PostThree60Mafia, on 02 March 2015 - 02:00 PM, said:

I gotta agree with KimJingSpoon. It's simple math for the overall win rates. What you describe is what happens with each tank's individual win rate in your service record. The less battles you have per tank, the the more each tank affects its win rate because each successive battle is a proportionally smaller percentage of the overall battles for that tank.

reluctanttheist #18 Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:11 AM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 25454 battles
  • [III-H]

View PostAugustus_Sohn, on 01 March 2015 - 11:23 PM, said:

Very nice info! I can't get past the 54% mark. I get close and then run into a long streak of losses>wins. 

But you're in the rarefied atmosphere of the top 22% of players.  That's a lofty ideal for us all right there!

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Be a better player  |  Click here if you have lag  |  Graphics Settings for iOS  |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  |  Get good: watch Bushka!  |  Check out tanks on Tank Compare  and  BlitzHangar

zcostilla #19 Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:43 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 20402 battles
  • [III-R]

View Postreluctanttheist, on 03 March 2015 - 06:11 PM, said:

But you're in the rarefied atmosphere of the top 22% of players.  That's a lofty ideal for us all right there!

Yes and no. To qualify for a WOTBStars ranking you must have a tier X tank. There are presumably relatively new players who are good but haven't reach that tier yet, but it's pretty close. Maybe I'm arguing semantics, so I'll shut up. 

NwOnt211 #20 Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:58 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10175 battles
I started paying attention to my stats after 3000 battles or so. Poor kills/battle, dmg/battle, wr, etc. Was less than 50% win rate, but now I'm at over 58%. What a waste of 3000 battles...lol. I improved as a player as soon as I gave notice to statistics. So everyone...care about your stats.

TIER X's: E50M E100 T110E5 IS7 T62A M48 PATTON

:izmena: Attack!! Inflict maximum carnage. 

Tier X researched: Jg.Pz. E100, Object 268, T110E3, M48 Patton

Tier IX researched: ST-I, VK 45.02 B

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users