AWACS Tank Guides: Centurion Mk. 1

AWACS Tank Guides.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: AWACS Tank Guides: Centurion Mk. 1 (60 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 5 battle in order to participate this poll.

Was this Guide Helpful?

1. Yes it was very helpful. (59 votes [98.33%])

Percentage of vote: 98.33%

2. No it was not very helpful (1 vote [1.67%])

Percentage of vote: 1.67%

Vote Hide poll

EdAWACSdenyY #1 Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:21 PM

Resident Nice Guy of the Forums

• Players
  • 33957 battles
  • [DEF_7]

AWACS Tank Guides

Centurion Mk. 1: The Pride and Prejudice of the British Mediums

Hello everyone! EdAWACSdenyY here! and today I'm going to be talking to you about the Centurion Mk. 1. This is the tier 8 British Medium tank. Down below is an image of that humble machine.

Beautiful isn't it?

Background History: 

In 1943, the Directorate of Tank Design was asked to produce a new design for a heavy cruiser tank under the General Staff designation A41. After a series of fairly marginal designs in the A series in the past, and bearing in mind the threat posed by the German 88 mm gun, the War Office demanded a major revision of the design requirements, specifically:

• increased durability and reliability (Cause early cruiser tanks's armour were a joke obviously and their engines and suspension were liable to breakdowns until they got to the Cromwell and Comet tanks that is.)
  • the ability to withstand a direct hit from the German 88 mm gun (Since the the Allies were all starting to get pretty tired of getting sniped by those damn Tigers!) 
  • a maximum weight of 40 tons. (Cause they wanted to be able to transport these tanks on old trailers and not have to build new ones)
  • The hull was to offer more protection against mines (Well who wouldn't?)
  • top speed was not vital but agility had to be equal to that of Comet cruiser tank. (Cause you need to be agile baby!)
  • A high reverse speed (I'll leave the reason for that up to you to speculate)

The new version carried armour equal to the heaviest infantry tanks, and cross-country performance was superior to even the early cruiser tanks. The A41 was the first British tank that could "do it all", leading to the new designation "universal tank". The design mockup built by AEC Ltd was viewed in May 1944. Subsequently twenty pilot models were ordered with various armament combinations: ten with 17 pdr and 20mm Polsten gun of which half had a Besa machine gun in the turret rear and half an escape door, five with 17pdr and forward Besa and escape door, and five with QF 77mm gun and driver-operated hull machine gun.

Prototypes of the original 40-ton design, the Centurion Mark I, had 76 mm of armour in the front glacis, which was thinner than the then current infantry tank designs such as the Churchill which had 101 mm, but the glacis plate was highly sloped and so the effective thickness of the armour was very high—a design feature shared by other effective designs such as the German Panther tank and Soviet T-34. The turret was extremely well armoured at 152 mm. The tank was also highly mobile, and easily outperformed the Comet in most tests.

Now that we have brushed up a bit on the history of this tank, Let's go over it's stats:

Hitpoints: 1350 (stock) 1450 (elite) 

Speed Limit: 40 km/hour

Hull Traverse Speed: 34 degrees per second 

Turret Traverse Speed: 36 degrees

Hull armour:

76 mm (front)

51 mm (sides)

38 mm (rear)

Turret armour:

Stock:

127 mm (front)

76 mm (sides)

76 mm (rear)

Elite:

165 mm (front) 

112 mm (sides)

112 mm (rear)

Top gun (Cause I doubt that few of you would be wanting to use the 77mm HV or the 17 pdr gun on this tank after you unlocked the 20 pdr) : Ordnance Quick-Firing 20 pounder Type A Barrel

Standard Shell Penetration: 

226 mm (AP)

258 mm (APCR)

42mm (HE)

Average Damage: 

190 (AP)

190 (APCR)

250 (HE)

Rounds per minute: 7.5

Accuracy: 0.33 at 100 metres

Aim time: 2.3 seconds.

Top Engine: (Cause I doubt that you would want to use the stock engine on this tank) Rolls-Royce Meteor Mk. IVC

Horsepower: 750

Now that we have glanced over the general stats of this tank, Let us review it's advantages and disadvantages on the battlefield in great detail:

Advantages: 

The gun:The Ordnance Quick-Firing 20 pounder Type A barrel gun on the Centurion Mk. 1 is probably the best gun on a Tier 8 medium tank, with 226 mm of penetration firing standard armour piercing ammunition. This allows the gun to penetrate the frontal armour of almost all tier 8 tanks and the weak spots of some tier 9 tanks as well. The gun's per shot damage is not high but a high rate of fire and accuracy compensate for that.

The gun depression: The Centurion Mark 1 has 10 degrees of gun depression. This wonderful gun depression allows you to hulldown in positions which other tanks can only dream about using. 

The turret: The upgraded turret on the Centurion Mk. 1 is incredibly troll with a large thick gun mantlet covering most of the front. However the turret has some glaring weak spots which can be exploited more easily than the weak spots on turrets of American tanks. This makes the turret very good for the back and forth fire and retreat strategy you should use when playing this tank.

The power to weight ratio: This tank may not be as speedy as the T44 or Pershing, but it's got a lot of grunt and huff in that engine. This allows the Centurion Mk. 1 to reach it's top speed limit very quickly and accelerate right off the bat while most other medium tanks are still picking up speed. It also allows this tank to climb hills decently fast.

Side Skirts: The weak sides of the Centurion Mk. 1 is entirely covered by the tracks and protective side skirts. This will allow you to mitigate most of the damage from High Explosive rounds and negate HEAT rounds. People will regret firing HE or HEAT ammo into your side armour.

Bloody nice side profile there Laddie! Hope someone will try to fire HE ammo at me!

Disadvantages:

Terrible Terrible Terrible Hull Armour: (Did I mention how terrible the hull armour was?) The Hull armour on this tank is pretty bad for it's tier. They might as well have made that armour out of plastic to make this tank lighter. When you have tanks 2 tiers below you damaging your frontal hull armour, you need no further explanation on how terrible the hull armour is. The frontal armour of the Centurion Mk. 1 is only 76 mm thick sloped at a 50 degree angle. This gives you only 117 mm of effective armour. With angling the effective thickness of your armour is around 129-133 mm. British and Israeli tank crews should be glad that they never had to drive the Centurion Mk. 1 around. If they did, they would also probably rage like us World of Tanks players at how bad the hull armour is. Cause in real life, tanks don't have hit points. Thank god this was only a prototype!

The armour on this tank is comparable to the Panther tank's frontal armour and the Panther tank IS A TIER LOWER! This tank is at tier 8 which means it will be facing tanks that will just laugh at your armour especially tanks with HESH rounds.  And the Side and Rear armour at 51 and 38 mm respectively, is nothing to write home about. Don't even try to side scrape with this tank. If your enemy get's the backside of your tank and they feel like wrecking you they will fire HE ammo into your butt where the engine is located, potentially setting it on fire. This tank is somewhat similar to the Panther 2 tank in some respects, as it deals about the same damage as the Panther 2, they both share poor hull armour, and they are not as quick. However, the Centurion has the advantage of a exceptionally strong turret and the agility and acceleration which the Panther 2 lacks.  

This gives you all the more reason to hull-down whenever possible and pray to the Tank Gods when someone bounces off your hull. Yet almost every game, I see Centurion Mk. 1 drivers showing their frontal hull armour to me in my Centurion 7/1. I just quietly smile and load in my HESH.

Big Bulky Bloated ( AWACS Alliteration Attempt A): This tank is large and bulky for a medium tank in fact this tank is taller than some of the Heavy tanks even! This means your camouflage rating is downright terrible and everyone will easily detect you.  

Low Top Speed for a medium: This tank is agile and has very good acceleration, but it is hampered by that maximum 40 km / hour top speed limit. This means it will take some time for this tank to get somewhere. Still it beats the T95 right?

Module and Crew damage: Thanks to your sub-par garbage hull, your driver will really enjoy the prospect of getting injured or killed easily. And also to make matters worst your ammunition racks can be equally easy to damage frontally as the crew which will half your rate of fire making your gun less potent or detonating all your ammunition sending your crew to heaven at supersonic speeds. Ironically the British designed the Centurion with ammo storage deep inside the hull as opposed to around the turret as it was supposed to be safer that way. But at least your better off than the T44's ammo racks. That should reassure you....... (._.)

Horrid Stock Grind: Your guns will do almost nothing but earn someone a steel wall medal unless you flank and you are stuck with a crappy stock turret which offers no great advantages and makes you look more hideous than the Dayleks  from Doctor Who and Miley Cyrus combined.

Now that we know what's good and bad about the Centurion Mk. 1, Let's move on shall we to performance and how to effectively operate this tank in battle.

Summary:

Having played the Comet for some time, I initially had some difficulty trying to play the Centurion Mk. 1 properly. Luckily I managed to look up some Paul Charlton (The Mighty Jingles) walkthroughs. and taking some notes on his advice when playing the Centurion Mk. 1. I found that I managed to do pretty well in my Centurion Mk. 1 and actually quite enjoyed the tank. I quite understand the frustration which players feel after coming from the Comet. It's almost like the British Medium line said to you:

"You liked being a fast flanker in the Comet? Well here's a large bulky tank with poor hull armour and a slower speed, sucks to be you!"

However, I feel that this tank is worth the effort to play and can reward you greatly if you can grasp certain quirks in this humble machine's personality. It is different from other mediums, But it can be proud for it's differences. 

Here are some strategies which I used to help myself:

Working the TerrainThis is by far the simplest and most effective tactic for this tank in game. Utilizing the terrain to conceal your hull. For a tank as big as the Centurion Mk. 1, you will be surprised at how well you can utilize cover to hide behind. Use piles of rubble, dead tanks, hills and even ridge-lines and undulations in the terrain to work around. However you cannot afford to sit there and take it unlike American heavy tanks. Your turret does contain some glaring weak-spots. If you sit there and tank, you are giving your enemies time to aim at those weak-spots. The best way you can be successful while hulldown, is you pop up exposing only your turret, take your shot than reverse back into cover. Whether you are working ridge-lines or on a hill, repeat this tactic.

1. Pop up
  2. Take your shot
  3. Retreat back into cover. 

Your accurate gun with a high rate of fire and relatively low aim time will allow you to apply this tactic effectively. While the enemy is still aiming for your turret weak-spots, you would have already fired and gone back down. With the strong mantlet and your ten degree's of gun depression you can make players feel frustrated as they bounce off that gun mantlet while you penetrate them. This tactic will take some time to get used to and initially you will have much trouble finding your proper position, but the most advice I can give you is, be patient and continue exploring areas and keep trying. Abuse situational awareness to move from cover to cover. Always be on the move. Eventually you will be a beast on hills and behind cover. 

AWACS Equipment: 

Medium Tank Rammer: The rammer is a must have piece of equipment for this tank, boosting your rate of fire which is already quite high to be even higher.

Gun-Laying Drive: Helps you very much when you are working hills or ridge-lines. allowing your gun to be more accurate with the shots by decreasing your aim time.

Vertical Stabilizer: A must have with this tank and most British medium tanks. This will allow your tank to fire on the move with decent accuracy and a decrease in size of your aim circle.

I hope you guys found this guide helpful, and hopefully allowed those of you who struggled with this tank to now find it somewhat bearable at the very least. If you feel that there were any parts to this guide which were inadequately explained, or there were some areas I left out. Please let me know and I will try my best to rectify. 

Thanks for reading AWACS Tank Guides and I will see you on the battlefield.

Edited by EdAWACSdenyY, 05 April 2017 - 04:16 AM.

Proud owner of Her Majesty's MBT the Centurion Mk 7/1

Armed with the Royal Ordnance 105 mm L7A1 Gun

prlxb63sawjo5 #2 Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:26 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 6805 battles
Love the Centurion and thank for putting this up for me to review what I'm doing in it and what I maybe doing wrong in this tank and hopefully improve as wall.

Just your resident lurker. Watching from the shadows.

Unitater #3 Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:29 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22199 battles
  • [GRIM]
oh jeez is this long - BUT VERY HELPFUL! Thanks!

All tier Xs acquired. Professional premium tank collector for WoTB.

Please check out my youtubeYOUTUBE CHANNEL!

Links to my guides can be found on my about me page (on profile)

Casual tanker, forum user, and pledge signer

Aivris #4 Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8126 battles
  • [PBKAC]

Very well written! I must admit, both the Centurion Mk. I and the Centurion Mk. 7/1 look absolutely beautiful.

Thread followed for future reference. Perhaps I should rebuy the Mk. I. IIRC, I actually did okay with it, despite the painful stock grind.

_Tenshi #5 Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 18107 battles
  • [RBLN]
I know there are many good guides, but this is just impressive! I'll hand you my +1.

- Stats? Don't be lazy and take a look see here! -

Thomazealot #6 Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:35 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12223 battles
I didn't really need any help on the centurion, but dang, that was incredibly thorough.  Nice review dude!

sig.png

Mistake_ #7 Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:08 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4612 battles

A lot of time and effort. Nice guide buddy:coin:

My YouTube Channel - Link

FunkSoulChicken #8 Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:12 PM

Thunderfunk

• Players
  • 46219 battles
  • [EQ-TR]

Fantastic...

I'm terrible at mediums but I now feel like I know more about this tank than some of the ones I drive often.

Well done, sir.  Quality work.  And +1  :honoring:

Community Pledge Signer

EdAWACSdenyY #9 Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:54 PM

• Players
  • 33957 battles
  • [DEF_7]
Thanks guys for your support. If you want any other tank to be reviewed, just tell me here or send me a message. 

blindsniper74 #10 Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:42 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 41257 battles
  • [III-R]
Thanks Ed,  very nicely done.  I just sold it to get the Cent 7/1... Now get me a guide for the 7/1!

Edited by blindsniper74, 09 March 2015 - 12:43 AM.

FunkSoulChicken #11 Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:49 AM

Thunderfunk

• Players
  • 46219 battles
  • [EQ-TR]

View PostEdAWACSdenyY, on 08 March 2015 - 05:54 PM, said:

Thanks guys for your support. If you want any other tank to be reviewed, just tell me here or send me a message. 

If you are doing these for the British tanks first, would you consider the Caernarvon?

Community Pledge Signer

EdAWACSdenyY #12 Posted 09 March 2015 - 01:31 AM

• Players
  • 33957 battles
  • [DEF_7]

View PostFunkSoulChicken, on 08 March 2015 - 05:49 PM, said:

If you are doing these for the British tanks first, would you consider the Caernarvon?

Funnily enough, I am actually writing a guide for it right now.

riprr #13 Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:37 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 31770 battles
  • [CNDN]

Love dis, plan on selling me Comet end getting the Mk 1 soon, thanks for the guide?

Now gimme a guide for the T-34 and the Tiger (P) line. :)

My Garage

Spoiler

EdAWACSdenyY #14 Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:59 AM

• Players
  • 33957 battles
  • [DEF_7]

View Postriprr, on 08 March 2015 - 07:37 PM, said:

Love dis, plan on selling me Comet end getting the Mk 1 soon, thanks for the guide?

Now gimme a guide for the T-34 and the Tiger (P) line. :)

You mean T-34 or the T34? They are 2 different tanks.

Shadow__Lugia #15 Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:53 AM

Let the salt flow

• Players
  • 59914 battles
  • [DEF_6]
Sweet man. Is this going to be a series where u review tanks in wotblitz? If so do u think u could do the panther2 plz cuz I seem to be struggling a bit with it right now

EdAWACSdenyY #16 Posted 09 March 2015 - 05:10 AM

• Players
  • 33957 battles
  • [DEF_7]

View PostA77a71, on 08 March 2015 - 09:53 PM, said:

Sweet man. Is this going to be a series where u review tanks in wotblitz? If so do u think u could do the panther2 plz cuz I seem to be struggling a bit with it right now

It will most definitely be a series of tank reviews. 

Shadow__Lugia #17 Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:29 PM

Let the salt flow

• Players
  • 59914 battles
  • [DEF_6]

View PostEdAWACSdenyY, on 09 March 2015 - 05:10 AM, said:

It will most definitely be a series of tank reviews. 

hey do u wanna platoon at all? I've got hellcat, Churchill VII, black prince, t-44, Pershing, vk.45.02A, centurion mk1, panther 2, and t110e3 if u wanna join?

EdAWACSdenyY #18 Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:40 AM

• Players
  • 33957 battles
  • [DEF_7]

View PostA77a71, on 10 March 2015 - 03:29 PM, said:

hey do u wanna platoon at all? I've got hellcat, Churchill VII, black prince, t-44, Pershing, vk.45.02A, centurion mk1, panther 2, and t110e3 if u wanna join?

Sure add me online.

Player_5773117413 #19 Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:59 PM

Professional Tinfoil Hatter

• Players
  • 30746 battles
  • [SPUD]
So is that a yay or nay on the 17 pounder? I could see it as a good temporary solution but I haven't grinded the heavies to get it earlier yet

"HULK SMASH[er]!!!"

^ Gotta derp around in Tier 7 before the inevitable nerf! ^

Just another demo account, nothing to see here

"Say what you like, but stop pissing on my back and telling me it's raining." Blartch

EdAWACSdenyY #20 Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:32 AM

• Players
  • 33957 battles
  • [DEF_7]

View Postkewlstory, on 08 April 2015 - 01:59 PM, said:

So is that a yay or nay on the 17 pounder? I could see it as a good temporary solution but I haven't grinded the heavies to get it earlier yet

better to use the 17 pdr than than the 77mm for your stock grind. It will make your grind a bit more bearable. But once you get the 20 pdr. Never ever use that 17 pdr again.

Also tagged with AWACS Tank Guides.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users