Jump to content


Platooning 101

platooning guide how to thunderthies platoon strategy tactics techniques

  • Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

thunderthies #21 Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:32 AM

    Not a Hoax

  • Club Wargaming
  • 18036 battles
  • 3,870
  • Member since:
    07-02-2014

View Posthughjass07, on 18 May 2015 - 07:30 PM, said:

Really nice guide, sir!

 

Thanks, Hugh! And again, I LOVE your videos, dude! 

 

For those who haven't checked out hughjass' YouTube channel yet, do it! Great gameplay and comical commentary. 

 

What more could you want?


Check out:   WoTB terms, phrases defined v. 2.0

Check out:    iMovie iOS video production tutorial

Check out:           WoTB beginner's guide, tactics

Check out:                   WoTB YouTube channels


A7X0 #22 Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:39 AM

    E4k

  • Players
  • 25484 battles
  • 820
  • [PRAMO]
  • Member since:
    07-03-2014
You. Are. God.

  underlined = click!

E 100, IS-7, T-62A, Jg. Pz. E 100, T110E3, T110E5[Guide], Object 268FV215b, E 50 M[Guide], IS-4FV4202, Object 140[Guide]M48 Patton, T110E4, STB-1

4014 average damage in Obj. 140, 4055 average damage in T110E4


thunderthies #23 Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:40 AM

    Not a Hoax

  • Club Wargaming
  • 18036 battles
  • 3,870
  • Member since:
    07-02-2014

View PostA7X0, on 18 May 2015 - 07:39 PM, said:

You. Are. God.

 

Maybe if I had your WR.

Check out:   WoTB terms, phrases defined v. 2.0

Check out:    iMovie iOS video production tutorial

Check out:           WoTB beginner's guide, tactics

Check out:                   WoTB YouTube channels


Camoisland #24 Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:42 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 8297 battles
  • 3,403
  • Member since:
    12-19-2014

View Postthunderthies, on 18 May 2015 - 07:09 PM, said:

 

Out of upvotes, but ya, that was awesome. 

i got you fam

View Postfullestnuke, on 18 May 2015 - 07:06 PM, said:

 



thunderthies #25 Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:50 AM

    Not a Hoax

  • Club Wargaming
  • 18036 battles
  • 3,870
  • Member since:
    07-02-2014

View PostCamoisland, on 18 May 2015 - 07:42 PM, said:

i got you fam

 

 

Lol. Thanks. I somehow refrained from hitting the big, red button. I think I'm too afraid of what may pop up. 

Check out:   WoTB terms, phrases defined v. 2.0

Check out:    iMovie iOS video production tutorial

Check out:           WoTB beginner's guide, tactics

Check out:                   WoTB YouTube channels


jimbo456 #26 Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:55 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Players
  • 3815 battles
  • 18
  • [DRGNS]
  • Member since:
    12-14-2014
Thanks from one who just found the forums and who has just started tooning with a little knowledge. NOW I am armed with MUCH MORE!  Thanks again

Derf19 #27 Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:56 AM

    Left Coast Lagger

  • Players
  • 23508 battles
  • 2,234
  • [III-X]
  • Member since:
    07-07-2014
Nice job Thunder!  +1

"I'm Not Young Enough To Know Everything" -Oscar Wilde

Tier X Tanks I Don't Have: T57, OBJ.263, STB-1, AMX 50 B

Tanks I'm Grinding: T69 & Type 61 

Me 30 Day Stats Here


thunderthies #28 Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:57 AM

    Not a Hoax

  • Club Wargaming
  • 18036 battles
  • 3,870
  • Member since:
    07-02-2014

View Postjimbo456, on 18 May 2015 - 07:55 PM, said:

Thanks from one who just found the forums and who has just started tooning with a little knowledge. NOW I am armed with MUCH MORE!  Thanks again

 

Right on, jimbo! That's cool to hear, dude. Glad  you found the forums. Be sure to check out all the pinned threads, especially the written and video guides. There is quite a bit of good information stored here.

Check out:   WoTB terms, phrases defined v. 2.0

Check out:    iMovie iOS video production tutorial

Check out:           WoTB beginner's guide, tactics

Check out:                   WoTB YouTube channels


thunderthies #29 Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:07 AM

    Not a Hoax

  • Club Wargaming
  • 18036 battles
  • 3,870
  • Member since:
    07-02-2014

View PostDerf19, on 18 May 2015 - 07:56 PM, said:

Nice job Thunder!  +1

 

Thanks, dude! And wait... did you just edit your post? Cuz I swear you asked for a top 10 something or other. 

 

I think I'm losing it.


Check out:   WoTB terms, phrases defined v. 2.0

Check out:    iMovie iOS video production tutorial

Check out:           WoTB beginner's guide, tactics

Check out:                   WoTB YouTube channels


justpem #30 Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:13 AM

    Junior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 5379 battles
  • 125
  • Member since:
    12-12-2014
o7 to you sir.very informative

thunderthies #31 Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:23 AM

    Not a Hoax

  • Club Wargaming
  • 18036 battles
  • 3,870
  • Member since:
    07-02-2014

View Postjustpem, on 18 May 2015 - 08:13 PM, said:

o7 to you sir.very informative

 

Thanks, justpem! o7

Check out:   WoTB terms, phrases defined v. 2.0

Check out:    iMovie iOS video production tutorial

Check out:           WoTB beginner's guide, tactics

Check out:                   WoTB YouTube channels


Derf19 #32 Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:18 AM

    Left Coast Lagger

  • Players
  • 23508 battles
  • 2,234
  • [III-X]
  • Member since:
    07-07-2014

View Postthunderthies, on 18 May 2015 - 08:07 PM, said:

 

Thanks, dude! And wait... did you just edit your post? Cuz I swear you asked for a top 10 something or other. 

 

I think I'm losing it.

Yes I did edit it. I was asking for a cheat sheet or list of the top ten things that make up a good platoon. Then I said that it didn't have to be ten things but whatever you could come up with. I changed my post because you pretty much listed what makes up a good platoon. I was looking more of a simple list from 1-10 without the elaborate explanation. I didn't want people to start spamming at me that your thread was a list, so I deleted it. I wanted something more for quick reference. Well we've come this far so can you please make a list for me? Thanks! :) 

 

I love that song by Led Zeppelin, what's it called? Oh yeah "Ramble On"


"I'm Not Young Enough To Know Everything" -Oscar Wilde

Tier X Tanks I Don't Have: T57, OBJ.263, STB-1, AMX 50 B

Tanks I'm Grinding: T69 & Type 61 

Me 30 Day Stats Here


sheriffsherman #33 Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:26 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 24534 battles
  • 4,674
  • Member since:
    10-06-2014

View PostDerf19, on 18 May 2015 - 07:56 PM, said:

Nice job Thunder!  +1

 


FIRST TO 200 TANKS ON BLITZ!!!

I'm a gen 1 gamer, been crushing bad guys since the 1970s


sheriffsherman #34 Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:27 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 24534 battles
  • 4,674
  • Member since:
    10-06-2014
Where is the sign in for 102?

FIRST TO 200 TANKS ON BLITZ!!!

I'm a gen 1 gamer, been crushing bad guys since the 1970s


PA60Pilot #35 Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:46 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 31814 battles
  • 2,276
  • [TITAN]
  • Member since:
    10-26-2014

Thanks Thunderthies.  I'm a decent solo player, but I rarely see any benefit from platooning.  This is probably because I'll accept a platoon request from anyone, and also because I haven't figured out how to be an effective platoon member.  Very rarely I'll have an opportunity to platoon with someone who's much better than me, then I see a significant improvement in win rate.  I don't invite anyone better than me though, because I usually feel like I'm not contributing my share.

 

There's some good tips here.  I hope to read more on the subject.  I almost made a thread to ask "what makes a good platoon mate?"


"Now they're gonna come for us" - Anonymous Spawn Camping M6 - after rest of team destroyed

 


sheriffsherman #36 Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:09 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 24534 battles
  • 4,674
  • Member since:
    10-06-2014

View PostPA60Pilot, on 18 May 2015 - 09:46 PM, said:

Thanks Thunderthies.  I'm a decent solo player, but I rarely see any benefit from platooning.  This is probably because I'll accept a platoon request from anyone, and also because I haven't figured out how to be an effective platoon member.  Very rarely I'll have an opportunity to platoon with someone who's much better than me, then I see a significant improvement in win rate.  I don't invite anyone better than me though, because I usually feel like I'm not contributing my share.

 

There's some good tips here.  I hope to read more on the subject.  I almost made a thread to ask "what makes a good platoon mate?"

A good platoonmate is flexible, grateful, understanding, and will be open to play maps the way that his platoonmate wants to part of the time but will also call out a strategy when time is right and the other guy will listen too.  If you are platooning with a closed minded person that only wants to do things their way and is selfish about tiers, tank types, and grinds.  Then You are better off alone.  There are some very smart, considerate, and understanding people out there to platoon with and they are not easy to find.  There are some platoonzillas out there. I have certain pet peeves about platoon buddies.  First time i hear anything about kill stealing im gone.  Worse still is the guy that always wants to lead and fails to adapt to strategic situation.  When you see something they don't peel off and carry the match they blame you for their poor choices and that they died early, cut them lose, fast.


FIRST TO 200 TANKS ON BLITZ!!!

I'm a gen 1 gamer, been crushing bad guys since the 1970s


Monopower #37 Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:16 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 9400 battles
  • 1,137
  • [RBLN]
  • Member since:
    06-26-2014

View Postsheriffsherman, on 18 May 2015 - 10:09 PM, said:

A good platoonmate is flexible, grateful, understanding, and will be open to play maps the way that his platoonmate wants to part of the time but will also call out a strategy when time is right and the other guy will listen too.  If you are platooning with a closed minded person that only wants to do things their way and is selfish about tiers, tank types, and grinds.  Then You are better off alone.  There are some very smart, considerate, and understanding people out there to platoon with and they are not easy to find.  There are some platoonzillas out there. I have certain pet peeves about platoon buddies.  First time i hear anything about kill stealing im gone.  Worse still is the guy that always wants to lead and fails to adapt to strategic situation.  When you see something they don't peel off and carry the match they blame you for their poor choices and that they died early, cut them lose, fast.

 

Another thing I find very useful, is to pay attention to the vocabulary used by your platoon mate towards others both on your team and the enemies'.  I find some of my best platoon mates can almost always be light hearted and joke around, never using any offensive or abusive language.
 


sheriffsherman #38 Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:16 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 24534 battles
  • 4,674
  • Member since:
    10-06-2014
You'll find some guys with decent WRs that go into battles with pre concieved notions of how the battle needs to unfold.  When the opposing team fails to fulfill their expectations, they are lost and have no recourse.  Avoid those players, they are all about the physical ability and very little about thinking on their feet. You want a balanced platoonmate, some physical ability of course but also the knack for thinking on their feet, not panicking, and sticking with the job at hand.  Platoon with folks that encourage you and are not condescending when they teach you something.  Platoon with folks that have good situational awareness.  People that understand how to prioratize tarkets properly by player, type or tier.  

FIRST TO 200 TANKS ON BLITZ!!!

I'm a gen 1 gamer, been crushing bad guys since the 1970s


Aivris #39 Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:17 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 8126 battles
  • 8,021
  • [PBKAC]
  • Member since:
    10-25-2012

Awesome content as usual, Thunder!

 

The map aerial views definitely help out too. :great:



Flying_Cod #40 Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:35 PM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 27109 battles
  • 809
  • [III-C]
  • Member since:
    12-30-2014

View Postsheriffsherman, on 19 May 2015 - 06:16 AM, said:

You'll find some guys with decent WRs that go into battles with pre concieved notions of how the battle needs to unfold.  When the opposing team fails to fulfill their expectations, they are lost and have no recourse.  Avoid those players, they are all about the physical ability and very little about thinking on their feet. You want a balanced platoonmate, some physical ability of course but also the knack for thinking on their feet, not panicking, and sticking with the job at hand.  Platoon with folks that encourage you and are not condescending when they teach you something.  Platoon with folks that have good situational awareness.  People that understand how to prioratize tarkets properly by player, type or tier.  

 

Having the pleasure to watch Sheriff and his Platoonmate utterly waste the Reds last night in their tier 9 heavies in a tier ten game, I would say he knows what he speaks.  Well done Sheriff.  

 






Also tagged with platooning, guide, how to, thunderthies, platoon, strategy, tactics, techniques

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users