Flying Cod's Guide to the Tier 3 Cruiser IV Light Tank

Seal Clubber

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Flying Cod's Guide to the Tier 3 Cruiser IV Light Tank (11 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 5 battle in order to participate this poll.

Was this useful?

1. Yes, thanks (11 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. OMG THIS IS TOO LONG!!!! (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Hide poll

Flying_Cod #1 Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:24 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 27109 battles
  • [III-C]

First thing first, I am a decidedly average tanker.  I feel that I am qualified to write this guide as when driving the Cruiser IV, my win rate jumps from roughly 52 percent to near 80 percent, while my damage ratio and kills-death almost double.

I hope this guide is useful for players who are grinding the line as well as seasoned vets who run the tank for fun.

So the Cruiser IV has a few characteristics of note.  The top gun, the QF 40mm MK IV Bofors is a two shot burst autoloader with a four shot clip.  So you press fire once, two shots fire, fire again two more shots, than a long reload.  It is a rather unique gun in Blitz.  The Gun has an average damage of 45 per shot.  If you pen the first two, you do 90 damage, if you pen the clip, you do 180 damage.  This allows you to nearly kill many tier 2 tanks in one clip.

Of second note about the gun is that it has reasonably good pen for it’s tier.  The 59 MM of average pen allows it to frontally pen every tank in it’s tier besides the IIJ.  Of the Tier 4s it meets, only the Matilda and front of a Hetzer are all red.  APCR however also has very good pen, upping the penetration of the Bofors up to 97 MM.  This added pen allows you to easily deal with all tier 4s you will encounter, including Matildas at nearly any angle.

Another characteristic of the Cruiser is that it has an insanely high 15 degrees of gun depression for about 270 degrees.  If you are looking back, the depression is much less.  When 10 degrees is considered good, 15 allows you to fire down on opponents in places that are impossible in most every tank in the game.

The Cruiser, like most light tanks in Blitz is very mobile.  It climbs, corners and accelerates very quickly.  While a few tanks have a higher top speed, it will get into position, circle and peek as fast as any nearly tank in the game.

The Cruiser pretty much has no armor.  Some tier 2’s may bounce your turret, but it plan on any shot hitting your tank to pen and do damage.

How to Cruiser IV in Blitz.

To be effective in the Cruiser it is important to play to its strengths.  Few tanks in the game have the combination of speed and firepower.  Use its speed to get into position early.  Head to hilly spots on every map.  By popping over ridges and using the gun depression, very little of the tank is exposed.  Use your speed to pop back into cover after taking your shot.  Trade one round from most enemy tanks to pop off four shots of your own if need be, or simply pop up, do 90 damage in two shots and hide before the enemy can target you.  By attacking out of bushes, it is usually possible to plant four shells into an enemy before they can properly aim and shoot you, as long as you are facing one tank.

After you shoot and your clip is reloading, something else magical is also happening.  After about 6 seconds, your camo has reset.  This allows you to pop back up and unload on the enemy without them being able to target your position.  In a tier 3 or 4 match, you can abuse this repeatedly.  If your opponents begin to catch on, simply reset your camo, and attack from a different angle.  If the rest of us did this more often in all of our tanks, we would be more successful.  

Always take advantage of tanks that are targeting your teammates.  If they aren’t aiming at you, you will almost always be able to fully drain your clip before taking any fire from the tank you are attacking.  Just be careful not to expose yourself to multiple enemies at the same time.

If you are exposed and facing more than one tank, use the Cruiser’s speed and agility to circle or just get back to cover.  If you keep moving you can avoid a lot of fire.

When top tier you can quickly dispatch most tier 2 tanks with 4 quick shots and a ram.  You will take some damage, but it is darn fun.  

This tank is especially deadly in a platoon, as your 4 shot burst output doubles.  If you can focus fire you can take down any tier 3 in 2 bursts and severely cripple most 4’s.  

Never ever assume your team will do anything properly.  Conserve your health and plan on carrying every game you get into. It’s a tier 3.  

Things that will kill you in a Cruiser and how to avoid them.  

In it’s own tier, the only tank to be truly worried about is getting one shot by a t-82.  Don’t peak and try to fire off 4 shots at one frontally.  If you keep moving and make them traverse, you will be almost impossible for them to shoot.  Spray shots, until you get to cover.  If they shoot, and are by themselves, pounce on them during their reload.  Get off your 4 shots and get behind them or to the side while you reload.

At Tier 4 things get a little trickier.  If there is a Matilda on the other team, try to attack it early in the game. Fire Apcr and don’t get caught in the open while reloading.  Never assume your teammates will be able to kill it because most of the time they will not.  Take care of it when you still have health.

The Hetzer of course can be a tough nut to crack.  If one is engaged with a teammate, always take the opportunity to attack it from the side or rear.  If you must attack frontally, wait for it to fire, load APCR, fire 4 and fall back into cover.  You can’t afford to take a shot from it.  T-40’s usually can be penned with standard ammo, but need to be handled with caution as well.

For Equipment I normally GLD-Vents and Spall Liner for the protection from the occasional ram I do.  Optics would also be an option. Consumables are Multi-Pack, Repairs and Tea and Pudding.  For Ammo, I carry 15-20 APCR just in case and the rest AP.

itsnotpersonal #2 Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:28 PM

It's just business

• Players
  • 23350 battles
  • [ASYLM]
Good advice you did well o7.

ASYLUM

mriversinco #3 Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:37 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 50757 battles
  • [III-R]
Nice write up.  If you want that high win rate, then stick to those tanks that zoom around and can do damage.  aka, work up to the cromwell and comet right away.

LAPPELduvide #4 Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:38 PM

PhD in Dakimakura Engineering and Design M.S. in Waifu Studies

• Players
  • 24316 battles
  • [ANEKI]
Awesome review, and I'm pretty sure you didn't copy and paste right?

┬┴┬┴┤ (◕ᴗ◕✿├┬┴┬┴┤(ಠ﹏ಠ├┬┴┬

>>>Join [MAHOU/ANEKI] Discord!!!<<<

Best ANIME CLAN in the NA and a nice community for weebs. 

Flying_Cod #5 Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:41 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 27109 battles
  • [III-C]

View Postmriversinco, on 20 May 2015 - 01:37 PM, said:

Nice write up.  If you want that high win rate, then stick to those tanks that zoom around and can do damage.  aka, work up to the cromwell and comet right away.

Sadly, I went back to decidedly average or even worse grinding both the Comet and Cromwell.

Flying_Cod #6 Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:41 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 27109 battles
  • [III-C]

View PostZennosha, on 20 May 2015 - 01:38 PM, said:

Awesome review, and I'm pretty sure you didn't copy and paste right?

Thanks and um no.

Asiaticus #7 Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:43 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 16340 battles

Great guide, thanks. I really like both the Cruiser III and the Cruiser IV.

Additional advice for any autoloader: After you fire, don't just hit the fire button again as quickly as you can. Wait for the aiming reticle to shrink back down before firing the next shot in the magazine. This will improve accuracy tremendously. Also, if your magazine is partially empty and you have no shots, tap that ammo type again to reload so it will be full for your next engagement.

Flying_Cod #8 Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:46 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 27109 battles
  • [III-C]

View PostAsiaticus, on 20 May 2015 - 01:43 PM, said

Additional advice for any autoloader: After you fire, don't just hit the fire button again as quickly as you can. Wait for the aiming reticle to shrink back down before firing the next shot in the magazine. This will improve accuracy tremendously. Also, if your magazine is partially empty and you have no shots, tap that ammo type again to reload so it will be full for your next engagement.

Yes, great advice.  Sometimes I forget to re-aim in myself.  And always go into an engagement fully reloaded!

LAPPELduvide #9 Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:58 PM

PhD in Dakimakura Engineering and Design M.S. in Waifu Studies

• Players
  • 24316 battles
  • [ANEKI]

View PostFlying_Cod, on 20 May 2015 - 06:41 AM, said:

Thanks and um no.

then it's already 10x better than any review I've seen on the forums. 

┬┴┬┴┤ (◕ᴗ◕✿├┬┴┬┴┤(ಠ﹏ಠ├┬┴┬

>>>Join [MAHOU/ANEKI] Discord!!!<<<

Best ANIME CLAN in the NA and a nice community for weebs. 

Flying_Cod #10 Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:59 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 27109 battles
  • [III-C]
Thank you.

krietenstein34 #11 Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 32281 battles
  • [HAHA]

I don't have my game on me to look at tech tree, but I REALLY, REALLY enjoyed driving the Covenantor, which I think must use that gun you described.   Driving it is similar to what you described as well.   I had some killer carry games with it, but would LOSE the battle.   

The covenantor had me highly anticipating the Crusader.    Crusader = Total steaming pile of POoo.    I think The Covenantor would do better at tier 5 than THAT pile o crap.    

:girl:

Flying_Cod #12 Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:32 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 27109 battles
  • [III-C]

View Postkrietenstein34, on 20 May 2015 - 02:19 PM, said:

I don't have my game on me to look at tech tree, but I REALLY, REALLY enjoyed driving the Covenantor, which I think must use that gun you described.   Driving it is similar to what you described as well.   I had some killer carry games with it, but would LOSE the battle.   

The covenantor had me highly anticipating the Crusader.    Crusader = Total steaming pile of POoo.    I think The Covenantor would do better at tier 5 than THAT pile o crap.    

Yes the Covenantor I really enjoyed as well.  It was one of the first tanks I ever aced.

One thing that separates a high damage loss from a total carry in these tanks is the ability to conserve your health early in a match.  Trading damage early allows you to out DPM your opponent but it sets you up to be killed later in the game.  Save the trades for later in the match when you can KILL a tank with a full clip rather than whittle it down.  Always look for damage early, but instead of unloading all your rounds and taking a shot, try to pen two and get back to cover.  Once some of the tanks are low on health, then start to trade a bit of your health for a kill, always keeping in mind the tanks left on the enemy team.

krietenstein34 #13 Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:39 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 32281 battles
  • [HAHA]
i

View PostFlying_Cod, on 20 May 2015 - 09:32 AM, said:

Yes the Covenantor I really enjoyed as well.  It was one of the first tanks I ever aced.

One thing that separates a high damage loss from a total carry in these tanks is the ability to conserve your health early in a match.  Trading damage early allows you to out DPM your opponent but it sets you up to be killed later in the game.  Save the trades for later in the match when you can KILL a tank with a full clip rather than whittle it down.  Always look for damage early, but instead of unloading all your rounds and taking a shot, try to pen two and get back to cover.  Once some of the tanks are low on health, then start to trade a bit of your health for a kill, always keeping in mind the tanks left on the enemy team.

I avg 601 damage in Covenator.....   like 300 in Crusader.  Yes, you are right, these tanks are paper.  don't get shot
:girl:

JPMIV #14 Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:02 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 31474 battles
  • [IRH]

Great review! I just recently re-bought this for low-tier lulz after getting bored with the Matilda so the review was really useful.

I'm having so much fun with the Cruiser IV that I've been using it as a pseudo-credit grinder. I've been one-shot by derp T82s so if I see a stubby gun on one I get the hell out of Dodge and look for something juicier to bite. Hetzers are a tough nut to crack but with a bit of distraction I can sometimes get behind them and do some damage. Lees are also dangerous but there are numerous weak spots depending on the angle. APCR can pen Matildas from certain angles.

Accuracy is dismal at more than half map distances so I have to get in close to be effective. Non-existent armor requires constant unpredictable movement. Float like a butterfly sting like a bee.

I carry 24 APCR so it should give me 6 full loads for tight situations. I only installed Vents on it since I thought I'd get bored as well but I'm thinking about installing additional modules to hike the fun factor.

Stat padding Tank rehabbing

Flying_Cod #15 Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:41 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 27109 battles
  • [III-C]

View PostJPMIV, on 10 June 2015 - 01:02 AM, said:

Great review! I just recently re-bought this for low-tier lulz after getting bored with the Matilda so the review was really useful.

I'm having so much fun with the Cruiser IV that I've been using it as a pseudo-credit grinder. I've been one-shot by derp T82s so if I see a stubby gun on one I get the hell out of Dodge and look for something juicier to bite. Hetzers are a tough nut to crack but with a bit of distraction I can sometimes get behind them and do some damage. Lees are also dangerous but there are numerous weak spots depending on the angle. APCR can pen Matildas from certain angles.

Accuracy is dismal at more than half map distances so I have to get in close to be effective. Non-existent armor requires constant unpredictable movement. Float like a butterfly sting like a bee.

I carry 24 APCR so it should give me 6 full loads for tight situations. I only installed Vents on it since I thought I'd get bored as well but I'm thinking about installing additional modules to hike the fun factor.

Glad the review was helpful and you are enjoying the tank.  Spall liner for the nasty rams on tier 2's is great.  GLD certainly helps the aim time, especially when screeching to a halt to take a juicy shot.  After 100 battles, I'm in the top ten in win rate in this tank on WOTBSTARS.  If I can do it, anyone can be awesome in this tank.

Edited by Flying_Cod, 14 June 2015 - 03:58 AM.

JPMIV #16 Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:18 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 31474 battles
  • [IRH]

View PostFlying_Cod, on 10 June 2015 - 09:41 AM, said:

Glad the review was helpful and your are enjoying the tank.  Spall liner for the nasty rams on tier 2's is great.  GLD certainly helps the aim time, especially when screeching to a halt to take a juicy shot.  After 100 battles, I'm in the top ten in win rate in this tank on WOTBSTARS.  If I can do it, anyone can be awesome in this tank.

So that's why I'm not getting an Ace on this one even after a 5-kill win :medal: Guess I'll just have to carry harder.

Will equip GLD. I'm not much of a rammer but I'll keep the Spall Liner in mind :izmena:

Stat padding Tank rehabbing

popisdead #17 Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:13 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 21183 battles
  • [ATC_]

You must be the Cruiser IV who is popping my Minimaus every game :P

Nice write up.  I keep wanting to go back and try it, this might entice me.

Cammo in the PC game kicks in after 3 seconds.  Interesting it is 6 in Blitz.  More arcade style?

Brit tanks with no armour seem to be known for their good gun depression.

When the Canadians were about to cross the Rhine they employed a Pepper Pot which is firing millions of rounds from a Bofor straight at the German's bunkered down to basically keep them pinned and unable to counter attack the crossing platoons.

Flying_Cod #18 Posted 14 June 2015 - 03:55 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 27109 battles
  • [III-C]

View Postpopisdead, on 12 June 2015 - 10:13 PM, said:

You must be the Cruiser IV who is popping my Minimaus every game :P

Nice write up.  I keep wanting to go back and try it, this might entice me.

Cammo in the PC game kicks in after 3 seconds.  Interesting it is 6 in Blitz.  More arcade style?

Brit tanks with no armour seem to be known for their good gun depression.

When the Canadians were about to cross the Rhine they employed a Pepper Pot which is firing millions of rounds from a Bofor straight at the German's bunkered down to basically keep them pinned and unable to counter attack the crossing platoons.

I haven't played the Cruiser a ton since getting to 100 games, as I am terrified of a loss which would screw up my win rate.  It's sad, since it was just a fun tank to play.  

Yes, when I am in my mini-Maus, seeing Cruisers with anything more than total noob drivers is terrifying.  They have plenty of pen to hit you and can drain most of your health in one burst while you hit them back for one measly 45 damage hit.  Combined with a ram and, yeah, that was your game.

I got the 6 seconds from a Jingles guide to light tanks.  To re-cammo after being spotted seems to take slightly longer than a full reload in the Cruiser.  It often pays to stay in cover for another second to make sure you aren't spotted, then pop out and give Red the business. 

Is the 3 seconds you are referring to the time it takes for camo net to kick in when you are stopped?  That is the timing for that, but it seems longer to re-camo after you have been spotted.

Yes, the Brit, medium line has excellent gun depression throughout.  But 15 degrees on the Cruiser is ridiculous.  

Play the tank again.  You'll love it.

Edited by Flying_Cod, 14 June 2015 - 03:59 AM.

popisdead #19 Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:08 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 21183 battles
  • [ATC_]

View PostFlying_Cod, on 14 June 2015 - 03:55 AM, said:

Is the 3 seconds you are referring to the time it takes for camo net to kick in when you are stopped?  That is the timing for that, but it seems longer to re-camo after you have been spotted.

Yes, the Brit, medium line has excellent gun depression throughout.  But 15 degrees on the Cruiser is ridiculous.  

Play the tank again.  You'll love it.

MMm yeah it is the time for camo to kick in.  I got those confused.

I have been.  I have my winrate up to 50% now and I'm quite enjoying it.  Thanks again for the write up.

I love kemping bush

Also tagged with Seal Clubber

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users