Language and young children

Bug fix

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

Poll: Language and young children (52 members have cast votes)

WG should fix this

1. Yes I agree that swear words need to be banned (26 votes [49.06%])

Percentage of vote: 49.06%

2. No I like swear words (27 votes [50.94%])

Percentage of vote: 50.94%

Vote Hide poll

Catainium #21 Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:57 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10835 battles
  • [MNLX]

View PostMSixteen, on 01 June 2015 - 01:32 AM, said:

the game is supposed to be 17+, is it not? if you ask me, swear words shouldn't even be edited.

I could not agree more. Kids should not play a game they are not ready for. Plus I think that we should not have to restrict ourselves for children who aren't supposed to be playing to begin with.

Currently the leader of Midnight Lynx [MNLX] the one clan that is better than yours.

Winrate: 53%
Favorite tank: M18 Hellcat 
I am a supporter of Artillery and everything else this forum hates

Roving_Sasquatch #22 Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:11 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 8359 battles

Tbh there is a rating system for a reason, its there to give responsible parents a chance to see at a glance a game may not be the best choice for a child of a certan age group, if the parent is just too lazy to look into the game or dosent care thats on the parent not wg.

Ive always been confused by parents who go out and buy something like call of duty or halo or any other multiplayer game of a violent competitive nature thats clearly intended for a teen or adult for a young child then complain about their child becoming more agressive (the monkey see monkey do of children) and swearing up a storm that he learned online when a simple look into the game would have prevented it.

That said if its truely such a problem and parents are so damn lazy as to not monitor what their children play then perhaps wg should put in a chat lock that the parent can put a password on that blocks ingame communication, otherwise swear away!

This opinion brought to you by a filthy dumb truck driver.

My Tier 10s: IS-4, Je100, E100, T62A, Object 140, M48 fatton, FV4202, IS7, Object 268

Working on: FV215B, Maus, E50, FV215B (183)

My Babys: T-43, Type 59, IS-4, JE100, KV-2DERP

nanolite #23 Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:12 PM

Seal Clubber

• Players
  • 19284 battles
Just add I button in settings where you can enable or disable seeing chat....

Detecting Salt Level of OP . . .

Salt Level: 200%

Immediate Attention Required

tedg5 #24 Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:17 PM

Tater salad

• Players
  • 59530 battles
  • [AGOGO]
Don't see the purpose served by swearing in wotb, agree with original post. Nothing is lost by not swearing, so why is it necessary?

Phodilus #25 Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:23 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 18295 battles
  • [STG-L]

View Postblitz_stern, on 01 June 2015 - 05:52 AM, said:

this just is not right. Sorry about making this out burst, but really, what will happen to the next generation of our life, look at the kids back In the year 1800-1900, kids did not see this typ of stuff that's on the internet , well I tried , but thanks any way.

Yes, because we should all live our lives based on how people lived a century ago. While we're at it, why don't we stop vaccinating our kds and using antibiotics as well, after all "the kids back in the year 1800-1900" didn't have those, either. We should also stop eating food we didn't prepare ourselves, start hanging more criminals, bring back corporal punishment, and get rid of electric lighting.

Every person has their faults and virtues. Lumping everyone from a single generation simply to compare them all to another generation is, in addition to illogical, unfair to all those involved and close-minded in the extreme. Judge people based on their actions and attributes, not just on what period of history they happened to be born into.

Currently in the garage: IS, T-43, LTTB, M3 Light, LTP, KV-2, IS-7, Panzerkampfwagen III, Panzerkampfwagen II Luchs, Leopard, T2 Light, T7 Combat Car, STB-1, Panzer IV Ankō, Dracula

"IS is best S!"

raysheen #26 Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:39 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 23131 battles
  • [III]

There is no place for foul language in the game...its a GAME after all.

I would like it if there was an option to completely shut the chat off for kids (or potatoes) though.

View PostPhodilus, on 01 June 2015 - 07:23 AM, said:

We should also stop eating food we didn't prepare ourselves, start hanging more criminals, bring back corporal punishment, and get rid of electric lighting.

​I see that we agree on 4 out of 5 points... :teethhappy:

_Crusader6_ #27 Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:48 PM

There is no Society- go back to sleep.

• Players
  • 74230 battles
  • [-EXP-]

My 6 year old son plays -- I appreciate that a lot of the words are editted -- mainly as I get angry too - and unleash holy hell on some folks (the serial campers, or the 'lone survivor' who leave you during a fight) -- the "you're a XXXXXXX tool" and "rot in XXXX you XXXXXXX" get the point across ;)

Generally I try to keep him on the wife's iPad so he doesn't get into high tier fights and hurt the team (he was playing with some of my X tanks and getting rocked) - and I got a number of unhelpful chat messages ;)  - so he's locked off my iPhone now...

Generally the edit of profanity does a lot of good - as there is no need for it here, other than folks who will get the point from the XXXX ings

Tank Hoarder: 436 tanks in Garage:  447/449 Played Tanks Aced

I need more tanks...

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

SkiFletch #28 Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:51 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30829 battles
  • [SRT]

Get rid of the swear filter and put a chat toggle on it with password protect.  The swear filter is BROKEN and was causing the chat server to crash under heavy loads because it's broken.  Trolls will always find a way around it and WG will just be CONSTANTLY chasing them and updating the filter, risking breaking chat further for adults.  And if a community mod hears this, remember...  Putting a chat block with password protect is a ONE TIME development.  Not CONSTANT time adding/editing/revising the stupid chat filter you have.

By the way, some light research on other forums (RU/EU/Asia) indicates that they do not have a swear filter.  Only the lawyered up 'muricans have it.  Food for thought.

_Meta #29 Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:58 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 19456 battles
  • [SRT-]

View PostSkiFletch, on 01 June 2015 - 07:51 AM, said:

Get rid of the swear filter and put a chat toggle on it with password protect.  The swear filter is BROKEN and was causing the chat server to crash under heavy loads because it's broken.  Trolls will always find a way around it and WG will just be CONSTANTLY chasing them and updating the filter, risking breaking chat further for adults.  And if a community mod hears this, remember...  Putting a chat block with password protect is a ONE TIME development.  Not CONSTANT time adding/editing/revising the stupid chat filter you have.

By the way, some light research on other forums (RU/EU/Asia) indicates that they do not have a swear filter.  Only the lawyered up 'muricans have it.  Food for thought.

This exactly. I'd rather WG focus on fixing what is actually broken and driving away the good players that have grown increasingly frustrated with the game. Most of the actual chat in game is as useless as going to general chat anyway. 

"It's a fool that goes into battle and doesn't use every tool at his disposal. If you ever catch yourself in a "fair" fight, you deserve to lose."-- Meta

blitz_stern #30 Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:27 PM

Official Tank Destroyer player of 501AU

• Players
  • 19789 battles
  • [501ST]
Did WG say thay would add a disable chat button in 1.9?

blitz_stern #31 Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:32 PM

• Players
  • 19789 battles
  • [501ST]

View PostDilutd, on 01 June 2015 - 06:13 AM, said:

I do, cause frankly, most of this and last generation has something to be desired. When all the current adults perish, i believe that there will be a revolution of environmental safety, therefor saving the planet and preventing it's destruction which is already happening at a steady rate because of greedy fat pigs running everything.

I do agree about what you say

1carburo #32 Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:56 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 58923 battles
  • [III-C]

View PostDilutd, on 01 June 2015 - 12:13 AM, said:

I do, cause frankly, most of this and last generation has something to be desired. When all the current adults perish, i believe that there will be a revolution of environmental safety, therefor saving the planet and preventing it's destruction which is already happening at a steady rate because of greedy fat pigs running everything.

Then you will age, and you won't be so certain anymore. But don't listen to me, I'm too old to know everything.

Cottonhead #33 Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:36 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 7527 battles
  • [III-Z]

View PostDreogo, on 01 June 2015 - 05:33 AM, said:

Ultimately it is up to the parents of any children playing this game to determine whether it is appropriate for them to play Blitz. Blitz is an online multiplayer game, and thus it is expected that there will be vulgar behaviour and swearing. It exists on every multiplayer platform. It is impossible for WG to monitor the hundreds if not thousands of different variations of curse words that people can create - and nor is it their responsibility to. 

This.  Parents need to do their jobs.  I have an 8 year old daughter, she doesn't play world of tanks, she plays Animal Jam.  They have taken it upon themselves to have a super sensitive chat.  You can't even say words like address, suck, or anything that could identify you, curse, or bring religion to the game.  I sat for a few minutes testing it. Why did I do that?  Because I'm her parent it's my job to protect her.  It isn't WG's job, it isn't Animal Jam's job (although that's why I let her play it.)  It isn't other players job.  It's my job.  People need to quit whining about chat, and hurt feelings, and ban this and cry about that.  This is a virtual game in a real (and brutal) world.  If you can't handle some immature whiner "screaming" at you.  Go play Animal Jam and prepare to have a very hard life ahead of you.  If you really can't hang with a player, just write his name down, and block him.  Tah dah!  All better!

SkiFletch #34 Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:51 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30829 battles
  • [SRT]

View PostCottonhead, on 01 June 2015 - 10:36 AM, said:

This.  Parents need to do their jobs.  I have an 8 year old daughter, she doesn't play world of tanks, she plays Animal Jam.  They have taken it upon themselves to have a super sensitive chat.  You can't even say words like address, suck, or anything that could identify you, curse, or bring religion to the game.  I sat for a few minutes testing it. Why did I do that?  Because I'm her parent it's my job to protect her.  It isn't WG's job, it isn't Animal Jam's job (although that's why I let her play it.)  It isn't other players job.  It's my job.

And it's the Lawyer's job to make money off the people that disagree with you :(

Camoisland #35 Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8297 battles

View Postblitz_stern, on 31 May 2015 - 09:38 PM, said:

Wot blitz is rated 12+ for war violance, but for the language in it why is it not 17+? If WG. Cannot filter them then thay can ban the players that say them, for a week should do it.

LOL one whole week per swear word? i know a few people who would be permabanned

View Postblitz_stern, on 31 May 2015 - 09:52 PM, said:

this just is not right. Sorry about making this out burst, but really, what will happen to the next generation of our life, look at the kids back In the year 1800-1900, kids did not see this typ of stuff that's on the internet , well I tried , but thanks any way.

1800s kids did not have access to the internet

View PostDilutd, on 31 May 2015 - 10:01 PM, said:

The next generation is gonna be cool as hell

:great:

blitz_stern #36 Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:54 PM

• Players
  • 19789 battles
  • [501ST]

View PostCottonhead, on 01 June 2015 - 03:36 PM, said:

This.  Parents need to do their jobs.  I have an 8 year old daughter, she doesn't play world of tanks, she plays Animal Jam.  They have taken it upon themselves to have a super sensitive chat.  You can't even say words like address, suck, or anything that could identify you, curse, or bring religion to the game.  I sat for a few minutes testing it. Why did I do that?  Because I'm her parent it's my job to protect her.  It isn't WG's job, it isn't Animal Jam's job (although that's why I let her play it.)  It isn't other players job.  It's my job.  People need to quit whining about chat, and hurt feelings, and ban this and cry about that.  This is a virtual game in a real (and brutal) world.  If you can't handle some immature whiner "screaming" at you.  Go play Animal Jam and prepare to have a very hard life ahead of you.  If you really can't hang with a player, just write his name down, and block him.  Tah dah!  All better!

Some parents don't care what there children see and play

View PostCamoisland, on 01 June 2015 - 04:19 PM, said:

LOL one whole week per swear word? i know a few people who would be permabanned

1800s kids did not have access to the internet

:great:

That's when ther was no internet

dilusions #37 Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:03 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15554 battles

View Post1carburo, on 01 June 2015 - 06:56 AM, said:

Then you will age, and you won't be so certain anymore. But don't listen to me, I'm too old to know everything.

But actually, next generation might be just like the old one, with the way parent's are doing now, i'm also unsure of the future.

DoragonSenshi #38 Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:25 PM

2nd Lieutenant

• Players
  • 18735 battles

This opinion comes from a student who is majoring in Computer science:

You need another option. This idea is quixotic. No matter what, there will be a way around it. Just like hacking. Someone, if they try hard enough, will get around the system.

SAu 40 > AMX 40

Fight me^

Drakkanos #39 Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:58 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 7521 battles
I personally feel swearing should be filtered.  Those who swear look like complete idiots.  It doesnt matter if you are an adult or not.  It is just plain inappropriate it is demeaning and shows a low level of intelectual capability.  Swearing does not make you look cool it does not make what you say any more important than any one else.  It sounds immature, unprofessional, unbecomming of any man or woman.  Truly though, swearing just shows how little someone cares and shows just how poorly they were raised.  In years past if you were heard swearing in public you were arrested for verbal assault ( in some states the law still stands).  If overheard swearing to a woman it was a felony assault ( just as bad as hitting which normally meant prison time).  We need to set and be the example for others and our kids.  If we do not step up then we may as well cash in our chips because this game of life will end before it ever starts.

DrWho_1 #40 Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:04 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19464 battles

“Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent's generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.” 
― 
Bill Gates

Unfortunately, your poll was a bit slighted so I didn't vote. A simple Yes or No would suffice in the future, save that, more options. I would have voted No, not because I like swear words, in fact I find them distasteful but because I don't think filters work and it gives people a false sense of security. The first and most important line of defense is "your parent filter".  

Derogatory (swear) words are the ammunition of people who lack a proper vocabulary and/or have trouble interacting with others. Unburdened from actual confrontation or repercussion MMOs only embolden the masses and because of this you will find chat awash with foul or inappropriate language. I've played MMO (MMORPGs) for decades, longer than most of the people I play them with now and this great debate hasn't changed nor with it change as long as human interaction (chat) is permitted.

If you let your kids watch PG-13 movies don't be surprised if a few choice words are spoken or a person's bare backside is exposed. Ones first reaction shouldn't be to run to the movie theater manager demanding that the movie be "edited" for your little girl. What should be going through one's head is, was it really a good idea to bring an 8 year old to a PG-13 movie in the first place? So just because its an app game (app games are cute right, its on that IPAD thingy), doesn't mean its for all people let alone kids. 

There are plenty of other "experiences" for people/kids who are not mature enough to deal with all aspects of a game that allows open access to other peoples unfiltered minds. A simple (or not so simple) filter will not protect your children from bad language or bad people. 

Sorry, it's not always someone else's job.

epMNasu.gif
 "If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail"

- Abraham Maslow

"Answers are easy. It's asking the right questions which is hard"

- The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Also tagged with Bug fix

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users