Grinding the Hellcat

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

MowHawk_Warbird #1 Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:55 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6525 battles
  • [ACDC]

So I’m driving my Hellcat pretty much stock right now, and it’s horrible. Rather go back and play more T49, cause it’s slightly OP. How should I grind this little critter? Horrible things about it:

Horrible reload? Check.

Horrible maneuverability? Check.

Horrible penetration? Check.

Horrible crew(77%)? Check.

Horrible armor? Check.

Until the 90 is reached, hellcat is utterly terrible. This thing(and my lag over the past days) have dropped my stats and win rate dramatically. I cri evry tim. Any wisdom/insight/advice much appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: You can see my (now) horrible stats in my sig

Edited by MowHawk_Warbird, 02 June 2015 - 03:55 AM.

Closed Beta Tester for WOT: Generals

Proud LOTR fan

Also proud member of [SPUD]

BEST WEBSITE NA

HESHSlingingSplasher #2 Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:56 AM

HESHSlingingSplasher

• Players
  • 18923 battles
  • [NRF]
Don't ram tanks.

MowHawk_Warbird #3 Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:57 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6525 battles
  • [ACDC]

View PostJimerian, on 01 June 2015 - 08:56 PM, said:

Don't ram tanks.

Tenks. Much Appreciate. Many wow. such superb.

Proud LOTR fan

BEST WEBSITE NA

Chasz_65 #4 Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:01 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 12695 battles

I would say that your checklist isn't quite accurate. It is quite fast so the maneuverability is actually quite good.

The penetration isn't the best, but you can pen most tanks you come across and can afford to use Prammo occasionally. 

Because of the speed of the hellcat, it is very easy to try to play it like a medium or over extend. The biggest thing to remember is that it is a TD. Use the speed to get into position and reposition. The gun is quite accurate and has a reasonable aim time. It can easily hit a target from across the map. The reload isn't actually bad it just feels extremely slow after the T49. It takes some getting used to, but the hellcat can be a very fun tank to play. 

Edited by Chasz_65, 02 June 2015 - 04:04 AM.

TOMAS_legend_Xeraux #5 Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:05 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 3481 battles
That's a completely off center description of it. It's a beast. If you can't play it, fine, but don't blame the tank.

PC super-unicum

Retired Blitz unicum Current Blitz pubbie

Blitz garage:

M5 Stuart, M4 Sherman, T82, Pz II J, BT-7 A, A-20, T-34-85 Victory, KV-2, IS, IS-6, SU-122-44, Cruiser IV, Centurion I, AT 15A, Ke-Ho, O-47

MowHawk_Warbird #6 Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:06 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6525 battles
  • [ACDC]

View PostChasz_65, on 01 June 2015 - 09:01 PM, said:

I would say that your checklist isn't quite accurate. It is quite fast so the maneuverability is actually quite good.

The penetration isn't the best, but you can pen most tanks you come across and can afford to use Prammo occasionally. 

Because of the speed of the hellcat, it is very easy to try to play it like a medium or over extend. The biggest thing to remember is that it is a TD. Use the speed to get into position and reposition. The gun is quite accurate and has a reasonable aim time. It can easily hit a target from across the map. The reload isn't actually bad it just feels extremely slow after the T49. It takes some getting used to, but the hellcat can be a very fun tank to play. 

I agree; however, there is no upgrade from the T49(when stock) except for HP. I don’t see what you mean by “accurate” either since my crew is still green. Thanks for advice though!

Proud LOTR fan

BEST WEBSITE NA

MowHawk_Warbird #7 Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:08 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6525 battles
  • [ACDC]

View PostNiemetz, on 01 June 2015 - 09:05 PM, said:

That's a completely off center description of it. It's a beast. If you can't play it, fine, but don't blame the tank.

I’m having trouble with the stock aspect of my Hellcat right now. Of course it’s a beast, but beasts aren’t born that way, right?

Proud LOTR fan

BEST WEBSITE NA

TOMAS_legend_Xeraux #8 Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:09 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 3481 battles

View PostMowHawk_Warbird, on 01 June 2015 - 08:08 PM, said:

I’m having trouble with the stock aspect of my Hellcat right now. Of course it’s a beast, but beasts aren’t born that way, right?

You're absolutely right. It's just that a few weeks ago I saw someone complaining about how the Hellcat sucked. I thought this was maybe a catching trend.

You really just have to suffer through stock, there's no easy way to do it.  (ACPR tho)

PC super-unicum

Blitz garage:

M5 Stuart, M4 Sherman, T82, Pz II J, BT-7 A, A-20, T-34-85 Victory, KV-2, IS, IS-6, SU-122-44, Cruiser IV, Centurion I, AT 15A, Ke-Ho, O-47

MowHawk_Warbird #9 Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:12 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6525 battles
  • [ACDC]

View PostNiemetz, on 01 June 2015 - 09:09 PM, said:

You're absolutely right. It's just that a few weeks ago I saw someone complaining about how the Hellcat sucked. I thought this was maybe a catching trend.

You really just have to suffer through stock, there's no easy way to do it.  (ACPR tho)

Lol RIP APCR

KV 4 bounces 50% prammo spam gg

I’m still not making enough credits to prammo spam:( Thanks though!

*meanwhile begins to stat pad with pz 2(I still have 100% win rate in that lol)

Proud LOTR fan

BEST WEBSITE NA

TOMAS_legend_Xeraux #10 Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:13 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 3481 battles

View PostMowHawk_Warbird, on 01 June 2015 - 08:12 PM, said:

Lol RIP APCR

KV 4 bounces 50% prammo spam gg

I’m still not making enough credits to prammo spam:( Thanks though!

*meanwhile begins to stat pad with pz 2(I still have 100% win rate in that lol)

Well, then I guess it's just bounce off big ones, pick of little ones, and wait for the 90. Sorry.

PC super-unicum

Blitz garage:

dorian666gray #11 Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:31 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 24428 battles
Was that me who was ripping on the Hellcat? I feel like that was months ago, not weeks. I rage sold that thing and left the entire line shortly afterwards. I got tired of being one shotted by an HE shell. I moved on to the Soviet TDs.....and started one-shotting Hellcats with an HE shell

The_Motarp #12 Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:39 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9143 battles
Once you get it upgraded it is actually pretty good, maybe not as good as the mid tier soviet TDs, but far better than the horrific win rates you can expect from tier 6&7 German TDs.

TOMAS_legend_Xeraux #13 Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:47 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 3481 battles

View Postdorian666gray, on 01 June 2015 - 08:31 PM, said:

Was that me who was ripping on the Hellcat? I feel like that was months ago, not weeks. I rage sold that thing and left the entire line shortly afterwards. I got tired of being one shotted by an HE shell. I moved on to the Soviet TDs.....and started one-shotting Hellcats with an HE shell

View PostThe_Motarp, on 01 June 2015 - 08:39 PM, said:

Once you get it upgraded it is actually pretty good, maybe not as good as the mid tier soviet TDs, but far better than the horrific win rates you can expect from tier 6&7 German TDs.

You two are the crappy kind of player that say "this tank is good, this tank is bad." It's not so simple. I facepalm every time I read one of these posts.

PC super-unicum

Blitz garage:

Libereco #14 Posted 02 June 2015 - 05:14 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 19282 battles

It's the most conservative tank in the entire game.

You rush = You die

Simple, you're a total support tank and can't take any shots, a derp gun will destroy your engine or ammo rack if you don't watch out.

___DEAN #15 Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:38 AM

~=(C/A=|Republic=~

• Players
  • 27164 battles

I felt the same way after making the transition from the T49, but that doesn't make the Hellcat bad, it just makes it nat as much of a value at its tier. The T49 is a beast too, but I remember people griefing all the time when it first came out.

First-off, just like any tank, it sucks stock. Just keep in the back of your mind that the 90 mm top gun is Fantastic and worth the trouble of the grind. There is very little the 90mm can't do.

I second the advice that you have to remember not to use it as a Medium, which is trickier than it seems given the Hellcat's speed. I know I had that problem. I also learned not to use the speed to get to the coveted spaces (hill on mines, mill on Malinovka) becasue you don't want to be spotted nor brawl with anyone, instead, use the speed to find a nice sniping position and to relocate once spotted there. If you see that light bulb, its time to go.

I've also found that if you are having trouble with a tank, its better to play it on long streaks so you learn how to use it. This is tough when you log on and try to get all your 2X bonuses, but even to this day I'll hop in the Hellcat (which I've kept) and forget how to drive it best for this reason. So long as it doen't make you mad or overly frustrated, try playing it 10+ games in a row.

For some reason, people love to shoot the hellcat, more than other tanks. Its likely that you are being targeted, another reason not to be seen.

I see that you are relatively new to the game, so finding a more experienced platoonmate will help you learn the fine details of the game. Feel free to add me and you can see how I play the Hellcat while in a platoon.
Keep grinding, I garauntee you'll like the results if you liked the T49. it is worth the grind.

Tanks:

dorian666gray #16 Posted 02 June 2015 - 12:32 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 24428 battles

View PostNiemetz, on 01 June 2015 - 10:47 PM, said:

You two are the crappy kind of player that say "this tank is good, this tank is bad." It's not so simple. I facepalm every time I read one of these posts.

I'm glad I could add to your amusement 

javajoejava #17 Posted 02 June 2015 - 12:47 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 21114 battles

I don't play any tank stock.  Store up your free XP, get crew to 75%, and upgrade at least engine, turret, and gun once each before playing.  Makes a huge difference to your enjoyment and your stats.

-JavaJoeJava

Clan: Teufel Hunden Devil Dogs [DD]

Favorite Lines: British and Russian Mediums

When I Feel Like Being a Bully: Tier 3 Kenny, American Heavies, ST-I, Russian KV4, AT15/Tortoise or a Comet Platoon with a Super Unicum

Tier X:  OBJ 268 | T110E5 | T62A | IS-4  (all mastered)

SkiFletch #18 Posted 02 June 2015 - 12:52 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30829 battles
  • [SRT]
Don't drive stock tanks?  Pretty simple right there

Asiaticus #19 Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:14 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 16340 battles

View PostMowHawk_Warbird, on 01 June 2015 - 10:55 PM, said:

So I’m driving my Hellcat pretty much stock right now, and it’s horrible. Rather go back and play more T49, cause it’s slightly OP. How should I grind this little critter? Horrible things about it:

Horrible reload? Check.

Horrible maneuverability? Check.

Horrible penetration? Check.

Horrible crew(77%)? Check.

Horrible armor? Check.

Until the 90 is reached, hellcat is utterly terrible. This thing(and my lag over the past days) have dropped my stats and win rate dramatically. I cri evry tim. Any wisdom/insight/advice much appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: You can see my (now) horrible stats in my sig

General strategies for a stock tank:

1. Don't rush to new tiers. Don't play higher tier tanks until you are comfortable at the tier below. 
  2. Grind credits in other tanks until you can afford to buy 75% crew. Never play a tank at less than 75% crew. If you can afford one, premium tanks generate more credits than regular tanks. Also, if you can afford it, premium time will generate more credits and XP.
  3. Also grind credits for equipment. Don't play tanks that have no equipment.
  4. If you can afford gold, it's really helpful to convert XP from other tanks to free XP so that you can upgrade at least the most critical modules. If your budget is tight, enter contests whenever you see them announced here or on Facebook in order to get gold for converting credits (don't use free XP to buy new tanks, use free XP to upgrade modules on tanks you already have).
  5. It's not obvious from looking at the listed stats, but for many tanks, it's better to get tracks before engine. This improves not only traverse speed, but also unlisted stats such as terrain resistance.
  6. Play stock tanks very conservatively. You are completely in a support role until the tank has been upgraded. That doesn't mean hide and hope your team wins for you, but it does mean be very careful and never go in front. However, if you have a gun with poor penetration, you may need to be always looking for ways to flank so you can get side shots.
  7. If you have plenty of money, spend gold to buy crew up to 100%.
  8. If you can find solid players willing to platoon with you to help you grind stock tanks, that's very helpful.

The Hellcat is fun and effective once you get it upgraded. However, it is kind of a hard tank to be your first tier 6. If it drives you nuts, think about parking it for a while and trying out one of the other lines.

Good luck!

Edited by Asiaticus, 02 June 2015 - 01:29 PM.

MowHawk_Warbird #20 Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:07 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6525 battles
  • [ACDC]

View PostAsiaticus, on 02 June 2015 - 06:14 AM, said:

General strategies for a stock tank:

1. Don't rush to new tiers. Don't play higher tier tanks until you are comfortable at the tier below. 
  2. Grind credits in other tanks until you can afford to buy 75% crew. Never play a tank at less than 75% crew. If you can afford one, premium tanks generate more credits than regular tanks. Also, if you can afford it, premium time will generate more credits and XP.
  3. Also grind credits for equipment. Don't play tanks that have no equipment.
  4. If you can afford gold, it's really helpful to convert XP from other tanks to free XP so that you can upgrade at least the most critical modules. If your budget is tight, enter contests whenever you see them announced here or on Facebook in order to get gold for converting credits (don't use free XP to buy new tanks, use free XP to upgrade modules on tanks you already have).
  5. It's not obvious from looking at the listed stats, but for many tanks, it's better to get tracks before engine. This improves not only traverse speed, but also unlisted stats such as terrain resistance.
  6. Play stock tanks very conservatively. You are completely in a support role until the tank has been upgraded. That doesn't mean hide and hope your team wins for you, but it does mean be very careful and never go in front. However, if you have a gun with poor penetration, you may need to be always looking for ways to flank so you can get side shots.
  7. If you have plenty of money, spend gold to buy crew up to 100%.
  8. If you can find solid players willing to platoon with you to help you grind stock tanks, that's very helpful.

The Hellcat is fun and effective once you get it upgraded. However, it is kind of a hard tank to be your first tier 6. If it drives you nuts, think about parking it for a while and trying out one of the other lines.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info! However it is not close to my first tier 6, actually my 4th. This account is a reroll/server change

Proud LOTR fan

BEST WEBSITE NA

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users