Ammunition Guide

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

EPICANDY0131 #1 Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:17 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 4817 battles

Have not seen a guide about this posted, so here goes!

Ammunition - n. a supply or quantity of bullets and shells

In WoT Blitz and in WoT PC/Xbox, there are 4 main types of ammunition.

In PC, the British guns can use HESH (High Explosive Squash Head). You do not need to know about this in Blitz. (at least not yet) cough* WG cough*

GENERAL INFO

The types of ammo (as we call it) react very differently to the same kind of armor. I will try to explain these four types as well as I can. (with additional information in the comments)

The four types are: AP, APCR, HE, HEAT. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, some more obvious than others.

You can easily find the average penetration/damage values of each shell type for each gun by scrolling through the gun module. (swipe right after selecting it)

The standard ammunition statistics for each tank is for the first type of ammo of the gun your tank has currently equipped.

The damage statistics for the standard rounds for your tank's gun is range of plus/minus 25% of the shell's average damage. This is the SAME for penetration statistics.

Now, onto a thorough explanation of each one.

AP (Armor Piercing)

The most basic type of ammo. The default starting type with all the tier 1s. As can be inferred from its name, it pierces armor. It is the "standard" ammunition on most guns that are not howitzers. The damage and penetration will be decent enough for each tier; it should be able to go through most armor of the same tier, and even higher tier armor with decent aiming. There is also a normalization bonus in the PC version (someone please check for me).

APCR (Armor Piercing Composite Rigid)

From the name, it may seem like it is a different version of an AP shell. It kind of is. I will not go too deep into the science in designing and engineering of this shell type. All players of WoT Blitz need to know is that this shell gets a boost in penetration. The increased average penetration greatly helps when dealing with heavily armored targets, (KV-1) as well as higher tiered opponents, such as a tier 3 meeting tier 5s. Something that is not noted directly in the statistics is that APCR shells lose penetration more quickly over distance than AP shells. (again, someone please confirm this for me) Tier 10 mediums use APCR as their standard ammo. (please confirm) This ammo type is mostly a premium shell type. It gets really expensive to run exclusive APCR.

HE (High Explosive)

Inferring from the name, again, it is pretty easy to guess what it does. High explosive shells detonate on impact. The penetration statistics are usually not as high when used on regular guns, but it is evident that they will do some damage if fired through a high enough caliber gun. When HE penetrates, expect the enemy to have module/crew damage and highly reduced health. High Explosive shells have a splash radius, although it really doesn't matter in Blitz. (no arty) External modules, such as the tracks, gun, and viewports act as spaced armor. High Explosive will detonate on impact if it hits one of these components, and do significantly less damage. Please do not shoot at gun mantlets especially. When coupled with howitzers, High Explosive can be deadly; they are designed to use it as the standard ammunition. One more note: HE serves as a great tool to reset base captures by damaging a target no matter what. You may know this saying, but what many people do not tell you, is that small caliber High Explosive will do NOTHING. Do not use HE in your 37/45/57mm guns.

HEAT (High Explosive Anti-Tank)

This is also another form of High Explosive. Specifically meant to destroy tanks and other well armored vehicles, HEAT ammo sports great penetration: the same thing APCR offers. It is a premium ammunition type, so the cost of running exclusive HEAT is really high. The advantage is that HEAT ammo does not lose penetration over any distance. (does this apply for Blitz?) HEAT, however, loses all its power there. HEAT shells tend to do less damage than HE shells (take T18 for example) and do not work well against spaced armor at all. Unlike HE, HEAT does not do damage if it doesn't penetrate, which means that it is somewhat unreliable.

So there you have it!

Hope the commentators will find my errors and confirm stuff!

EPICANDY0131[FLYNT]: IS-8; T-54; T32; Tiger II; KV-1S; M4A2E4; T82; M3 Light; T18; BT-2; +2 slots

Recruiter & Trainer of Flyinite

~PLEASE PM ME IF YOU WANT TO JOIN!!!~

(post stats please)

ChunkySquirrel #2 Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:41 AM

The Witcher

• Players
  • 13119 battles
  • [-BD-]

You forgot hesh rounds although no tanks currently in blitz use them I don't think

many on PC do though

Wenn vor uns ein feindlicher Panzer erscheint,
Wird Vollgas gegeben und ran an den Feind.
Was gilt denn unser Leben für uns'res Reiches Heer? Ja, Reiches Heer.

Für Deutschland zu sterben ist uns're höchste Ehr'.

EPICANDY0131 #3 Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:49 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 4817 battles

View Post_ErwinRommel__, on 08 July 2014 - 04:41 AM, said:

You forgot hesh rounds although no tanks currently in blitz use them I don't think

many on PC do though

I stated that at the very top

EPICANDY0131[FLYNT]: IS-8; T-54; T32; Tiger II; KV-1S; M4A2E4; T82; M3 Light; T18; BT-2; +2 slots

(post stats please)

ChunkySquirrel #4 Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:09 AM

The Witcher

• Players
  • 13119 battles
  • [-BD-]

View PostEPICANDY0131, on 07 July 2014 - 11:49 PM, said:

I stated that at the very top

Sorry lol I just skimmed through it

Wenn vor uns ein feindlicher Panzer erscheint,
Wird Vollgas gegeben und ran an den Feind.
Was gilt denn unser Leben für uns'res Reiches Heer? Ja, Reiches Heer.

Für Deutschland zu sterben ist uns're höchste Ehr'.

EPICANDY0131 #5 Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 4817 battles

View Post_ErwinRommel__, on 08 July 2014 - 05:09 AM, said:

Sorry lol I just skimmed through it

It's fine. It's really long, like my other tank guides.

(post stats please)

DeadlyAsians #6 Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:22 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 703 battles
So... If they do add the Fv 183... How many threads per day are going 2 be made about it?

EPICANDY0131 #7 Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:44 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 4817 battles

View PostDeadlyAsians, on 09 July 2014 - 03:22 AM, said:

So... If they do add the Fv 183... How many threads per day are going 2 be made about it?

Many. I think the alpha will be severely nerfed.

Too powerful.

(post stats please)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users