Alexbuildit's guide to the Jagdtiger

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

alexbuildit #1 Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:14 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17614 battles
  • [501ST]

Whats' up tankers! Today I will show you a look at the Jadgtiger (hunting tiger) tier IX German TD. If you want, view my other extensive articles here: Pz. Kpfw 38h 735 (f)A-32Valentine IIPanther 1

A Jagdtiger TD in a ville in Germany

History: It is early 1944, and Germany is researching a way to build new tanks off existing chassis to increase production rates. Remembering the extreme success of the Stug tank, the Germans decided to try making a non-turreted tank destroyer off the existing chassis of a Tiger 2 Heavy tank. The Germans had a major design flaw in that they used the already over-stressed engine of the Tiger tank in the heavier Jagdtiger, resulting in many mechanical failures and loss of battle time. Another issue was the aiming calibration device, it had to be constantly re-calibrated. Also there had to be two loaders due to the long and heavy ammo. However, all other components of this tank shined in battle. For example, one German tank commander claims to have shot through a barn with several rooms, and penetrate the front of a American tank hidden behind, and destroy it. The shell was later found to have entered and exited the tank and landed outside on the other end, completely passing through all the obstacles from 400 meters. 77-88 of these tanks were produced, but fewer than this entered combat due to lack of crew, or lack of essential equipment to the operation of the TD. Instead of too little too late, It was too much too late, in this case.  Some Jagdtigers survive and are in operating condition even today in Museums.  

[This review is for a maxed out tank, though a suggested upgrade path is listed]

Maneuverability: 3/10 (Maybach HL 230 TRM P30). The maneuverability is a major issue with this tank, the 38 k/ph is a lie, and can only be attained when going downhill. It does, however, go a reasonable 28-32 k/ph when driving in a straight, level line. The turn speed is 26 degrees per second, which seems sluggish, especially in dangerous situations. It does not have a turret, so no turret traverse speed. It accelerates rather slowly, though will drive at 28 k/ph eventually, almost guaranteed. So overall, the tank turns and accelerates sluggishly (after all it does weigh 75.97 tons) though this tank will drive rather nicely after going straight on even ground.

Firepower: 10/10 (Gun 12,8 Pak 44/2 L/61) WOWZA. Rapid-ish reload, nice damage per shot, and an ok aiming time, not to mention the incredible penetration. As a side note, this gun was fictional, the "stock" one is real and was the one utilized in the Maus.  So the reload is 6.62 shots per minute before crew/consumable buffs, with an average of 460 damage per shot (anywhere from 345-575)…a total of 3045 damage per minute. Quite excellent. The penetration has never been a problem provided you know where to aim at weak spots. In fact you barely ever have to switch to prammo if you know where to aim with 276 pen with AP, a hefty 352 with APCR, and the less than ok 65 pen of HE. Your job is to penetrate and do as much damage as possible in the amount of time that opponents show you themselves. If they decide to park themselves in front of you, send em back to the garage with only a lump of burning hot metal slush. So overall, this gun is AMAZING, and has better damage per minute than a lot of tier tens. 

Armor: 8/10 Now it is time to test your skill of hull down. The front of this beast is near impenetrable against AP and HE….on the top half at least. (The sides next to the large gun are pennable  with APCR from some 8's). The top half has a HEFTY 250 mm of armor, not to mention the gun mantlet. The hull portion has the same weak-spots as a Tiger II, with the lower glacis being VERY week. The top half of the hull is reasonably well armored, though the machine gun port is weak. It is best to hide the hull altogether, and just show the casemate. However if such protection is un-available, try to hide the lower glacis. This still works, though not as efficiently. The sides are TRASH. Don't try to angle this tank, you will die almost instantaneously as your sides and rear only have 80mm of armor. So overall, this tank is INCREDIBLY bouncy, provided the casemate is the only thing showing.

Upgrade Path: The stock gun is bearable, with 5.93 reload time and 246 pen with AP, so focus on the engine and treads as they are insufficient for your front combat role stock. Bring APCR and get the engine after many games. Then get the max gun (which again was fictional), and then treads. This will get you to the front line fastest. Then begin the loooonnnggg (yet fun) grind of 270k xp to the Jg. Pz. E 100. So top engine--> Top gun--> top treads--> Jg. Pz. E 100.

Gameplay: This is an assault TD more than a sniper, though it can play both. It was given that much armor for a reason though, and should be treated as such. Get it into a spot close to the enemy (but reasonably safe from flanking), and stop them in their tracks. Pick a location that makes the armor shine. Make sure you are followed with support, although this tank can carry, it needs protection on the sides. If you are worried that someone is about to flank you, and they have enough hp to last a few shots, shoot their tracks out repeatedly, and once they are out of repair kits, shoot their hull…..something that reload time sure helps with. Don't overextend without support, I cannot stress this enough. The turn time is so long, you will be long dead before you manage to turn around to face the threat if their is crossfire. Map awareness is key here too…. go to where the resistance is strongest, and soften up the targets. Side-scraping is 100% not recommended as guns from this tier can easily pen that 80mm flatfish armor. Another worry is your engine, it takes so much damage whenever it gets shot, that I recommend anti-fire equipment (in this case the co2). This can be nullified by hiding your lower glacis. THIS MAY BE THE BEST PIECE OF ADVICE FOR THIS TANK. HIDE. YOUR. GLACIS. This is truly one capable tank, and a few players agree that it rivals the Jg. PZ. E100. Take your time, max it out and enjoy it.

Equipment:   1. Ammo Rammer  2. Gun laying drive 3. CO2 (due to likelihood of fire by damage to glacis)

Consumables 1. Muti-repair kit    2. Adrenaline   3.German Chocolate

I hope you enjoyed this long assessment, if you think I missed anything, or was wrong about something, please comment. I enjoy constructive criticism. Till next time, have fun and Blitz On!

Edited by alexbuildit, 31 July 2015 - 06:29 PM.

Youtube Channel: ALEXBUILDIT PRODUCTIONS

Leader of the 501st, Pm for details.  

Putins_Chariot #2 Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:56 PM

Admiral Kitty

• Players
  • 22247 battles
One thing Ive noticed in my IS8: Lower glacis is a give in anyone can pen. The upper glacis is also a pretty easy pen UNLESS the player is using his gun depression... the part by the gun is impennable

epicheeru #3 Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:58 PM

Meme Lord of the 21st Century

• Players
  • 17913 battles
  • [501RV]

I really needed this, thank you!

Can you do one on the KV-1S or T-43? Would be greatly appreciated.

+1

Tier X: E 50 M | T-62A | Leopard 1 | IS-7 | FV4202

alexbuildit #4 Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:03 AM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17614 battles
  • [501ST]

View Postepicheeru, on 04 June 2015 - 01:58 PM, said:

I really needed this, thank you!

Can you do one on the KV-1S or T-43? Would be greatly appreciated.

+1

Might be able to :) I will have to play Em for a while again so I get the experience again :)

Sebastian1145 #5 Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:59 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14470 battles

Great Guide and well-written post as always Alex. +1

I found myself struggling with this tank, but don't really know why. I ended up with a 50% even WR in it after about 450 battles. Might have just been my nooby self since this was my first tier 9. 

Check out our YouTube Channel: WoTeam

​    Tier 10: Jagdpanzer E100, Obj. 268, FV4202, T62A, Obj.140, and T110E5

Psychopathy #6 Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:15 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20362 battles

Can you do with E5 and Jag Pz E100?

Yfilc #7 Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:32 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 12321 battles
  • [DD-R]

Nice guide! +1 You just forgot the ammo % I would imagine not very much APCR, considering AP already has great pen.

I haven't bought this tank yet, but I already had the engine from the Ferdi. I also have heaps of Free XP saved up. I could straight away get the gun, or should I still get the tracks first and then gun?

alexbuildit #8 Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:33 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17614 battles
  • [501ST]

View PostYfilc, on 07 June 2015 - 02:32 PM, said:

Nice guide! +1 You just forgot the ammo % I would imagine not very much APCR, considering AP already has great pen.

I haven't bought this tank yet, but I already had the engine from the Ferdi. I also have heaps of Free XP saved up. I could straight away get the gun, or should I still get the tracks first and then gun?

Hmmm in that case I'd go for the tracks first, the turning speed can be a real issue, and that sure helps. I'd carry like 4 rounds of prammo :)

Praeceladon #9 Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:51 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 19234 battles
I have to disagree on the sidescrspping but. I won a 1v1 on middle burg with the last guy being another jagtiger. I side scrapped 3 of his shots at like 10 degrees from a corner and the shells slid right off and I just reversed and shot him then drove back into the wall to hide my front.
You just have to know what angle to turn too.

I survive more turning left or right and driving straight into a wall and letting him hit my side than I do eating a shot from the upper plate and case mate. The armors more like a 5/10, the 250 portion is incredibly small and unless your top tier fighting against only 7s and 8s every 9 or 10 you see will hit you premium rounds and rip through the 250portion like its nothing.

it's definitely a better option than sitting still.

alexbuildit #10 Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:13 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17614 battles
  • [501ST]

View PostPraeceladon, on 09 June 2015 - 11:51 AM, said:

I have to disagree on the sidescrspping but. I won a 1v1 on middle burg with the last guy being another jagtiger. I side scrapped 3 of his shots at like 10 degrees from a corner and the shells slid right off and I just reversed and shot him then drove back into the wall to hide my front.
You just have to know what angle to turn too.

I survive more turning left or right and driving straight into a wall and letting him hit my side than I do eating a shot from the upper plate and case mate. The armors more like a 5/10, the 250 portion is incredibly small and unless your top tier fighting against only 7s and 8s every 9 or 10 you see will hit you premium rounds and rip through the 250portion like its nothing.

it's definitely a better option than sitting still.

Well yes, any tank can utilize the "auto bounce angle" (15 and below degrees) but this is technically not what I meant, as this angle has to be right on the money. Even one or two degrees past 15 can spell death. 

merome99 #11 Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:32 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 10443 battles
Very nice guide +1, I have to disagree with one thing though, you said not to angle at all but you can afford to angle in this tank if you keep the side armor at >70 degrees, the only way a shell could penetrate the side at that angle is by overmatching and then the shell would have to be a 240mm caliber round  which doesn't exist yet in WoT blitz so a slight angle can always help

Praeceladon #12 Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:30 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 19234 battles

View Postalexbuildit, on 09 June 2015 - 10:13 PM, said:

Well yes, any tank can utilize the "auto bounce angle" (15 and below degrees) but this is technically not what I meant, as this angle has to be right on the money. Even one or two degrees past 15 can spell death. 

Yeah I get what you mean I'm just saying in general if I'm facing someone head on in my tier, I'm going to be penetrated no matter what. Even if the armor on the sides is iffy it's still a better chance at bouncing by driving head first into a corner than just relying on the front armor. The jagtiger has terrible front armor especially for how big and slow it is.

Cpt_Billote #13 Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:15 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 7572 battles

View Postalexbuildit, on 04 June 2015 - 03:14 PM, said:

Whats' up tankers! Today I will show you a look at the Jadgtiger (hunting tiger) tier IX German TD. If you want, view my other extensive articles here: Pz. Kpfw 38h 735 (f)A-32Valentine IIPanther 1

A Jagdtiger TD in a ville in Germany

History: It is early 1944, and Germany is researching a way to build new tanks off existing chassis to increase production rates. Remembering the extreme success of the Stug tank, the Germans decided to try making a non-turreted tank destroyer off the existing chassis of a Tiger 2 Heavy tank. The Germans had a major design flaw in that they used the already over-stressed engine of the Tiger tank in the heavier Jagdtiger, resulting in many mechanical failures and loss of battle time. Another issue was the aiming calibration device, it had to be constantly re-calibrated. Also there had to be two loaders due to the long and heavy ammo. However, all other components of this tank shined in battle. For example, one German tank commander claims to have shot through a barn with several rooms, and penetrate the front of a American tank hidden behind, and destroy it. The shell was later found to have entered and exited the tank and landed outside on the other end, completely passing through all the obstacles from 400 meters. 77-88 of these tanks were produced, but fewer than this entered combat due to lack of crew, or lack of essential equipment to the operation of the TD. Instead of too little too late, It was too much too late, in this case.  Some Jagdtigers survive and are in operating condition even today in Museums.  

[This review is for a maxed out tank, though a suggested upgrade path is listed]

Maneuverability: 3/10 (Maybach HL 230 TRM P30). The maneuverability is a major issue with this tank, the 38 k/ph is a lie, and can only be attained when going downhill. It does, however, go a reasonable 28-32 k/ph when driving in a straight, level line. The turn speed is 26 degrees per second, which seems sluggish, especially in dangerous situations. It does not have a turret, so no turret traverse speed. It accelerates rather slowly, though will drive at 28 k/ph eventually, almost guaranteed. So overall, the tank turns and accelerates sluggishly (after all it does weigh 75.97 tons) though this tank will drive rather nicely after going straight on even ground.

Firepower: 10/10 (Gun 12,8 Pak 44/2 L/61) WOWZA. Rapid-ish reload, nice damage per shot, and an ok aiming time, not to mention the incredible penetration. As a side note, this gun was fictional, the "stock" one is real and was the one utilized in the Maus.  So the reload is 6.62 shots per minute before crew/consumable buffs, with an average of 460 damage per shot (anywhere from 345-575)…a total of 3045 damage per minute. Quite excellent. The penetration has never been a problem provided you know where to aim at weak spots. In fact you barely ever have to switch to prammo if you know where to aim with 276 pen with AP, a hefty 352 with APCR, and the less than ok 65 pen of HE. Your job is to penetrate and do as much damage as possible in the amount of time that opponents show you themselves. If they decide to park themselves in front of you, send em back to the garage with only a lump of burning hot metal slush. So overall, this gun is AMAZING, and has better damage per minute than a lot of tier tens. 

Armor: 8/10 Now it is time to test your skill of hull down. The front of this beast is near impenetrable against AP and HE….on the top half at least. (The sides next to the large gun are pennable  with APCR from some 8's). The top half has a HEFTY 250 mm of armor, not to mention the gun mantlet. The hull portion has the same weak-spots as a Tiger II, with the lower glacis being VERY week. The top half of the hull is reasonably well armored, though the machine gun port is weak. It is best to hide the hull altogether, and just show the casemate. However if such protection is un-available, try to hide the lower glacis. This still works, though not as efficiently. The sides are TRASH. Don't try to angle this tank, you will die almost instantaneously as your sides and rear only have 80mm of armor. So overall, this tank is INCREDIBLY bouncy, provided the casemate is the only thing showing.

Upgrade Path: The stock gun is bearable, with 5.93 reload time and 246 pen with AP, so focus on the engine and treads as they are insufficient for your front combat role stock. Bring APCR and get the engine after many games. Then get the max gun (which again was fictional), and then treads. This will get you to the front line fastest. Then begin the loooonnnggg (yet fun) grind of 270k xp to the Jg. Pz. E 100. So top engine--> Top gun--> top treads--> Jg. Pz. E 100.

Gameplay: This is an assault TD more than a sniper, though it can play both. It was given that much armor for a reason though, and should be treated as such. Get it into a spot close to the enemy (but reasonably safe from flanking), and stop them in their tracks. Pick a location that makes the armor shine. Make sure you are followed with support, although this tank can carry, it needs protection on the sides. If you are worried that someone is about to flank you, and they have enough hp to last a few shots, shoot their tracks out repeatedly, and once they are out of repair kits, shoot their hull…..something that reload time sure helps with. Don't overextend without support, I cannot stress this enough. The turn time is so long, you will be long dead before you manage to turn around to face the threat if their is crossfire. Map awareness is key here too…. go to where the resistance is strongest, and soften up the targets. Side-scraping is 100% not recommended as guns from this tier can easily pen that 80mm flatfish armor. Another worry is your engine, it takes so much damage whenever it gets shot, that I recommend anti-fire equipment (in this case the co2). This can be nullified by hiding your lower glacis. THIS MAY BE THE BEST PIECE OF ADVICE FOR THIS TANK. HIDE. YOUR. GLACIS. This is truly one capable tank, and a few players agree that it rivals the Jg. PZ. E100. Take your time, max it out and enjoy it.

Equipment:   1. Ammo Rammer  2. Gun laying drive 3. CO2 (due to likelihood of fire by damage to glacis)

Consumables 1. Muti-repair kit    2. Adrenaline   3.German Chocolate

I hope you enjoyed this long assessment, if you think I missed anything, or was wrong about something, please comment. I enjoy constructive criticism. Till next time, have fun and Blitz On!

I disagree with playing it as an Assault TD.   The 128L is designed to give the tank the ability to engage enemies at ranges of 800-1300 yards. Ranges which make the front armor like slabs of granite plus with the underpowered engine I am pretty loathe to get into a foot race with anyone.   

That said,  I enjoyed reading this immensely.   One thing you mentioned which is a very good point is the penetration/damage the 128 can inflict given its not-horrendous-ROF.   I've had payouts of over 85K credits with the upgraded gun and have had at least 20-35 ammo rack kills.   The other thing is,  the 128L is the best gun in the panzerwaffe and (save for the fantasy tier Xs) and any other vehicle is necessarily a step down in firepower so I am staying put with the Jagdtiger until I ace it.   

Good read. 

/Camo Net-Rammer-Binocs

//Adrenaline-MultiFix-EngineBoost

///AP-Prammo-HE

alexbuildit #14 Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17614 battles
  • [501ST]

View PostCpt_Billote, on 09 June 2015 - 11:15 PM, said:

I disagree with playing it as an Assault TD.   The 128L is designed to give the tank the ability to engage enemies at ranges of 800-1300 yards. Ranges which make the front armor like slabs of granite plus with the underpowered engine I am pretty loathe to get into a foot race with anyone.   

That said,  I enjoyed reading this immensely.   One thing you mentioned which is a very good point is the penetration/damage the 128 can inflict given its not-horrendous-ROF.   I've had payouts of over 85K credits with the upgraded gun and have had at least 20-35 ammo rack kills.   The other thing is,  the 128L is the best gun in the panzerwaffe and (save for the fantasy tier Xs) and any other vehicle is necessarily a step down in firepower so I am staying put with the Jagdtiger until I ace it.   

Good read. 

/Camo Net-Rammer-Binocs

//Adrenaline-MultiFix-EngineBoost

///AP-Prammo-HE

Well while it can function as a sniper, it was given armor for a reason I think, and I have used it as such..... I'm not saying either way is the "wrong way" but the way I suggest playing it has worked well for me... Interesting thoughts though :)

Cpt_Billote #15 Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:41 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 7572 battles

View Postalexbuildit, on 10 June 2015 - 08:34 AM, said:

Well while it can function as a sniper, it was given armor for a reason I think, and I have used it as such..... I'm not saying either way is the "wrong way" but the way I suggest playing it has worked well for me... Interesting thoughts though :)

The thick armor is so that it will be literally invincible at ranges from which it engages the enemy.  

Of course this is where history and war gaming diverge.   Games make tanks from Is and 0s. In real life a Jagdtiger is a significant Reich asset which you would be summarily shot for getting into point blank engagements with the enemy.  

Now as your article stated the engine on the Jagdtiger was underpowered so the less it moves the better.    And just like in real life,  I try to put my Jagdtiger where I can get the safest, best field of view so I can attack multiple map areas with say a 10-15 degree adjustment vs having to drive the Westphalia Winnebago around the map when being turretless puts me at a significant disadvantage; now factor in top speed of 22-25kmh on level roads meaning my ability to evade an enemy is not a strength. 

There are some decent books out there on Panzer Tactics which discusses employment of tanks and includes experiences of real tank commanders. 

Cpt_Billote #16 Posted 12 June 2015 - 06:45 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 7572 battles

You know what would really juice up the usefulness of these reviews would be an analysis of the equipment available.  I think we both use the rammer but I'd like to know how much the camo net obscures the Jagdtiger in the games.  Having stood next to the vast majority of the panzerwaffe at various armor museums I know the Jagdtiger is huge but the ability to obscure ones self was a talent German crews learned quickly or not at all.  I have my camo skill buffed out to V already so between that and the camo net I should be obscured 40% to the enemy; I wonder if that is compounded by being concealed by plants and bushes.

popisdead #17 Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:14 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20623 battles
  • [ATC_]

View Postalexbuildit, on 04 June 2015 - 11:14 PM, said:

Gameplay: This is an assault TD more than a sniper, though it can play both.

This is why I love that tank so much.  You can blitz with it.
I love kemping bush

Cpt_LeClerq #18 Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:08 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 8528 battles
  • [VIKSS]

View Postpopisdead, on 12 June 2015 - 03:14 PM, said:

This is why I love that tank so much.  You can blitz with it.

And the closer you get to the enemy, the easier it is for them to encircle you.  The closer you get to the enemy, the better the shot at your side and rear become as vehicles with gyrostabilizers wait for you to assault then counter attack at your 3 O'clock. 

It's almost like people want to minimize the strength and maximize the vulnerability.

warlord11112 #19 Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:08 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 6509 battles
  • [CODEK]

I needed this, fully upgraded my Ferdi (which is a beast) and was waiting for a guide on the next tank. Well written!

Come out, kitty, kitty, kitty 

eutectix #20 Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:26 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14385 battles
  • [GRIM]
How different does 128 mm jagd play when compared to the jagd 88? I didn't like the 88 as much as any other tier 8 tds but that might be due to me not liking low alpha high dpm guns all together. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users