in need of help with kv4

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

wolfpac4life #1 Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:53 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 3055 battles
I have upgraded turret but rest is stock. I can't win for anything. A couple questions. Is new turret better than stock. Heard stories that stock one is best. Second should I spend the loot and free xp the gun engine and tracks (about 90000 xp). Expensive move but is it worth it? I also have access to is3 and can't do both kv4 maxed and max is3 when I get it. I don't know what to do.

_AzorAhai #2 Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:19 AM

The IT guy

• Players
  • 45018 battles
This tank when elite is a really good tank. Definitely get engine and tracks you'll need them as you lack a lot of mobility. I use the upgraded turret with the top gun. I have managed to get a 58%-59% WR with this tank without using equipment. I use fire extinguisher, repair kit and Mrs pack for consumables. Friend me in game and we can do some KV-4 platoons. 

LYE Discord: DUX2Pr4 | Void Discord: yNVEZSH | Blitz Discord sR2X6Hp  

Click Image for My YouTube Channel

_AzorAhai #3 Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:21 AM

The IT guy

• Players
  • 45018 battles
Also this tanks armour is your best friend. Angle it and you have the potential to bounce tier 10's. You'll soon find after getting to play this tank and learning how to play it that you won't die that much.

LYE Discord: DUX2Pr4 | Void Discord: yNVEZSH | Blitz Discord sR2X6Hp  

Click Image for My YouTube Channel

Chopstick_Gamer #4 Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:22 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6297 battles
You need to ANGLE and SIDESCRAPE in the KV4. Sidescrape whenever you can, T10 TDs will have trouble penning you when you do that. When you angle you wanna move back and forth making it hard to hit your lower plate. REMEMBER you have 150mm of side armor on your hull, this grants you the ability to angle a little more aggressively than in other tanks. ALSO take note, you can get set on fire when tanks pen the side of your tank underneath the turret.

Aivris #5 Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:27 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8126 battles
  • [PBKAC]

It's definitely worth the grind. The KV-4's final gun has a good rate of fire and excellent penetration. Also in regards to its turret, I've experimented with both, and I prefer the upgraded one. Just be careful of the cupola. The KV-4 is also an excellent side-scraper, so be sure to make good use of angling and side-scraping.

But, it really depends on which one you prefer, and which tier ten you'd like. I believe that the KV-4 is more of a brawler than the IS-3 because of the thicker armour. However, the alpha-damage and mobility of the IS-3 is better than the KV-4's, so I guess you can't really go wrong with either one.

Silevern #6 Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:57 AM

To Valhalla! Witness me!

• Players
  • 17653 battles
  • [-_S_-]

In terms of modules, you will want to get the second gun (something called ZiS or something, it has less alpha but much better penetration) and then you will want to use the stock turret. The reason is that the second turret has a massive mini-turret on top of the main turret that is very easily penetrated by the same tier. Yes, the upgraded turret gives more armor at the front but that mini-turret ruins it all.

Strategies to use are angling and sidescraping, and ramming if you can. This tank rivals the Maus in terms of weight and can easily do hundreds of damage with just a slight impact. If a tank is trying to ram you, let it hit. He'll realize his mistake when his crew bashes their brains against the inside of their tank.

The KV-4 also has some of the best side armor and largest tracks in not just tier 8 but possibly also tier 9. Sidescraping will let you bounce shots from JgPz E 100, Object 268, you name a gun and I've bounced it by sidescraping. The great thing is that in the scope the side looks completely brown, so noobs will think they can penetrate and will shoot.

Against lower tiers the KV-4 is a monster. Consider yourself impenetrable by tier 6, angling and avoiding flankers protects you from tier 7, and heavy angling and sidescraping tactics will protect you against tier 8 and above.

The tank is slow but the firepower and the sheer amount of armor gives this tank the proper nickname "KV-4tress" (KV-Fortress)

Putins_Chariot #7 Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:17 PM

Admiral Kitty

• Players
  • 22247 battles

View Posttimkim0711, on 05 June 2015 - 06:57 AM, said:

In terms of modules, you will want to get the second gun (something called ZiS or something, it has less alpha but much better penetration) and then you will want to use the stock turret. The reason is that the second turret has a massive mini-turret on top of the main turret that is very easily penetrated by the same tier. Yes, the upgraded turret gives more armor at the front but that mini-turret ruins it all.

Strategies to use are angling and sidescraping, and ramming if you can. This tank rivals the Maus in terms of weight and can easily do hundreds of damage with just a slight impact. If a tank is trying to ram you, let it hit. He'll realize his mistake when his crew bashes their brains against the inside of their tank.

The KV-4 also has some of the best side armor and largest tracks in not just tier 8 but possibly also tier 9. Sidescraping will let you bounce shots from JgPz E 100, Object 268, you name a gun and I've bounced it by sidescraping. The great thing is that in the scope the side looks completely brown, so noobs will think they can penetrate and will shoot.

Against lower tiers the KV-4 is a monster. Consider yourself impenetrable by tier 6, angling and avoiding flankers protects you from tier 7, and heavy angling and sidescraping tactics will protect you against tier 8 and above.

The tank is slow but the firepower and the sheer amount of armor gives this tank the proper nickname "KV-4tress" (KV-Fortress)

Yep, the stock turret still has weak spots and is generally weaker (not in the front I believe) I opted for the top turret because I would often get surrounded in a brawl my multiple lower tiers (and win) and the top turret comes in handy there. Be sure to angle, sidescrape, and being the heaviest tank at tier 8 (I think), RAM :izmena:

jdm7 #8 Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:33 PM

60% of the time, it works every time

• Players
  • 25938 battles
  • [501DV]
I was able to use the top gun already unlocked from the IS line - it makes a big difference.  You are going to be slow no matter what, but as soon as you get top gun you can brawl, you will be a total bully when top tier.

[Garage: E100, FV215b, FV215b (183), FV4202, M48 Patton, IS-4, IS-7, Jagdpanzer E100, Obj. 140, Obj. 263, Obj. 268, T110E4, T110E5, T57, Centurion 7/1, M46 Patton, T30, IS-3 Defender, IS-5, IS-6, KV-5, Lowe, T49, T26E4, T-54 ltwt, AT-15A, SU-122-44, T23E3, T-34-85 Rudy, Type 62 Dragon, Cromwell B, Pz. Kpfw. IV Schmalturm, SU-100Y, T-34-85 Victory, Fury, Angry Connor, M4A2E4 Sherman, Pz. Kpfw. IV hydrostat, Ram II, T-25, A-20, Valentine II, BT-7 artillery, FCM 36 Pak 40, Pz. Kpfw. S35 739 (f), SU-76i, T-15, Type 98 Ke-Ni Otsu, Pz. Kpfw. 38H 735(f), T2 Light, Tetrarch]

"The Problem will solve itself in time"

SkiFletch #9 Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:24 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30829 battles
  • [SRT]
I'm pretty sure the top turret also gives soft stat buffs to gun handling characteristics that aren't always shown in-game.  This tank is not fun until you get the Zis gun on it.  Once you do it's great.  Make sure you're angling steeply towards your target.  Roughly 33 degrees is the butter zone for this tank. If you can sidescrape so your gun barrel floats just over the front of your tracks, you will bounce shots for DAYS.  

L1ttle__1 #10 Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:14 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 13927 battles
No worries.  The KV-4 doesn't become the KV-4!!!!! until it is fully elited.  I started with a losing streak too.  Keep with it.  It is worth it.

Tier 10's played: T110-E5

Premiums played: T2-Light, T15, SU-85i, T-25, SU-100Y, AT-15A, IS-6

vvk2 #11 Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:43 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 80838 battles
  • [SPUD]

The top gun (ZiS 24) is absolute #1. IIRC, it is about 47K exp and there is no dependency on anything else. You need that gun. The rest comes later. KV-4 drives like a school bus, and while the upgrade will make it better, it will never be close to IS-3.

All you've got is its gun and armor. And that is more than enough to be #1 at tier 8. 

I use the top turret - it gives you extra 50HP and more side armor. Yes it has a big weak spot, but all tanks do. If you are facing someone who know how to exploit your weak spots, he/she will give you a hard time anyways.

And you need to learn how to angle, sidescripe, and other little things. 

KV-4 once fully upgraded is a great tank, and its shooting experience is different from Russian other heavies. It is smooth and precise even on the move, with great penetration and decent RoF. Enjoy it...

wolfpac4life #12 Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:13 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 3055 battles
Thanks for the input all. Btween is3 and kv4 which stock grind is worse? I want to free xp all modules for harder one. I have kv4 stock mostly but have not bought is3 yet

vvk2 #13 Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:29 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 80838 battles
  • [SPUD]
Both tanks need top guns. And is3 actually needs the top turret as the stock has no armor.
I personally free exped only top guns on each. And grinded the rest. It is duable. Both tanks need 100% crew so you will have to grind anyways unless you use gold for training.

1Joetom #14 Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:32 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 29433 battles
The KV-4 is my best high tier tank, and my favorite one. The top turret has a giant miniturret on top of it, but when angled even slightly, the miniturret isn't easy to go through. It is 180mm thick frontally, similar to the rest of the turret. Lots of angling, and trollangling. One really good way to bait bounces in a brawl is to angle so it seems like its easier to go through the side of the tank than the front, then rapidly shift the tank so the side is instantly more tougher. Ramming is also a viable tactic in this tank, a solid ram will take away a lot of hp from whatever is unfortunate enough to get hit. 

Tier 9s and 10s: T110E5, T30, E75, T-54, Centurion 7/1, STB-1, M48 Patton, T110E3, IS-7, IS-4, Obj 140, Obj 263, FV215b, FV215b (183)

Evidence I don't suck: http://wotbstars.com/?usr=1joetom&geo=NA&lng=eng

Commander of IRH Retired from Blitz

Like our amazing signature? Join IRH today and get it for free! PM me for more information. Check out our amazing website here.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users