Alexbuildit's guide to the Tiger II. The missing manual.

Alexbuildit Tiger II Guide Review How-to

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

alexbuildit #1 Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:47 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17614 battles
  • [501ST]

Whats up tankers? Today we will take a look at the Tiger II "King Tiger" German tier eight heavy tank. A true master of side scraping if ever there was one. To view my other extensive articles, click the link! JagdtigerPz. Kpfw 38h 735 (f)A-32Valentine IIPanther 1

Tiger II's preparing for a ground assault

History: An arms race is in commencement in late 1943, and both the Allies and the Germans are in a fight to produce the most superior armored vehicle. While the Tiger and Panther projects both clearly beat anything the allies had to offer, at least on the western front, the Germans knew these tanks would only remain superior for around a year. At this point, if the allies continued their current path, the tiger 1 and panther tanks would only be as good, instead of better than, the forces of the Americans. Hitler foresaw this and placed an order for a tank that was like the panther, yet had more armor and was less about speed. Both Porsche and Henschel vied for the contract, and the result was two different tanks the Tiger II and the Vk 45.02b, though the latter is a topic for another time. Henschel thought it was a fact they had the contract in the bag and started producing turrets…. and were shocked when the Porsche design was picked. They didn't want the turrets to go to waste and gave them to Porsche to place on their tanks. This turret is the "stock" one you start out with, of which 50 of the 492 made had. This tank suffered MANY of the same issues that the Germans faced late in war, they focused and over-engineered every aspect BUT the engine. The result was many break downs and loss of combat time. When they worked they accrued many combat medals, and stroke fear into the heart of the allied tanker. This tank used an experimental range-finder that helped the commander focus in on an opponents tank, a feature then planned to carry over to other German tanks. The standard M4 and M4A3E8 could not reliable penetrate the front of the tigers unless they got very close, in which case they were likely to be destroyed by the large cannon of the "royal tiger". The Tiger tank was ahead of its day in many ways, but wasn't fully used to its full potential due to inexperienced crews, and loss of air supremacy. Their are still some functioning Tiger 2's and many non-functioning ones that can be seen in many museums around the world even today.

[This review is for a maxed out tank, though I give a suggested upgrade path]

Manouveravability: 5/10 (Maybach HL 230 TRM P45) Honestly I was surprised at this tanks maneuverability once fully upgraded…. It isn't fast by any definition of the word, but certainly isn't slow either. It weighs a hefty 71.26 tons and has a slow 27 hull traverse and even slower 16 degrees of turret traverse. This makes it vulnerable to COD. It does have a 38K/ph speed limit, and it is only partially a lie. 34 K/ph is attained (on average) on flat level ground, and can be accelerated when going downhill. It easily reaches and holds this speed, but turning/traverse is definitely a down-side. So overall it is "meh" on maneuverability, neither good, nor bad due to turning speed. 

Firepower: 8/10 (Gun 10,5 cm Kw.K L/68)  Very good for it's tier due to decent pen and aim time/dispersion and good damage. It has a average (before buffing, crew skills, etc) 5.71 rpm at 310 average damage with AP and 420 with HE. This is 1770.1 average damage per minute, not too shabby. Its aiming time is a respectable 2.3 seconds and dispersion is 0.34. The penetration is more than sufficient for its tier, you will however, want to bring some APCR for tougher tier nine and ten targets. Penetration is AP 225, APCR 285, and HE an ok 60. This gun will hold its own in any battle, but makes the most difference when highest tier. So overall, it is a slightly above average gun with good stats. 

Armor 9/10 Nice armor…..if you know what you are doing and how to use it. Side-scraping (AKA tanking) is KEY. It has a respectable 150mm of frontal angled armor, and shares the same weak spots as the Jagdtiger's due to having the same hull. The lower glacis is a bullet trap, and most tanks can penetrate it. So if their is no-where to side-scrape, hide that Glacis. The MG port is weak as well I believe. Another weak spot is the crew hatch on top, though some-what hard to abuse. A even harder to abuse but good spot to aim is the turret cheeks of the Tiger 2, not the frontal plate that has the gun, but the side plates that protrude on both sides. Side-scraping, hiding your lower glacis, and not showing the wimpy 80mm of side and rear armor are must-does to prevent shells from penning. Truly good armor in the hands of a pro, but not good armor if stuck in the wide open with nowhere to angle. 

Upgrade Path: Ouch…..this tank is actually quite bad stock. That turret is HORRID. I recommend upgrading that tier nine turret first and foremost. Because you can't be useful if you can't pen anything get the next tier eight gun. The second gun can and will hold its own for a grind, so get the engine and treads. Your role has changed from support to front line at this time, and now you need the best gun. Many people look at the high XP cost of this and just grind E75, but this is a mistake. GET THAT GUN. You will want a better gun for E75 anyway, and this carries over. (As a side note, these guns are the same ones-mostly-that are used in the MAUS line, so it is a two-for-one deal to get em now). So in review best turret--> second best gun-->best engine-->best treads-->best gun (DONT MAKE THIS OPTIONAL. GET IT.)--> E75.

Gameplay: This is a front liner at top tier, and a support when low tier as the armor won't help in low tier games. Get to a frontline position with support, and side-scrape. It is better if you can hide your lower glacis and side-scrape at the same time. If you suspect someone is aiming at a turret weak spot while reloading, angle your turret ever so slightly left and right. This changes the weak spots and sets your armor up for success. Beware flanking and COD attempts as you traverse speed is abysmally slow. This is why you travel with support. Try to lead a force against the opponents strongest force, and knock em down. Peek a boom is recommended anytime as it adds to the survivability and combat time if your tank. If your opponents seem week and ready to fall back, don't be afraid to lead the charge, and route them. This is the tip of the spear, not the support. Again my best piece of advice is HIDE YOUR GLACIS. I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH. When low tier, support the charge, load APCR, and hit weak spots. Work on already damaged vehicles and take them out. Follow the main push, wherever that is. Stay with support at all times, alone you are strong, but together you are unstoppable.

Ammo type: 20% APCR 10% HE and 70% AP

Equipment: 1. Vents  2. Ammo Rammer  3.Gun Laying Drive

Consumables: 1. Multi-repair kit 2. German Chocolate 3. Adrenaline

I hope you enjoyed this extensive article, please leave feedback! I enjoy constructive criticism. Have a good day, and Blitz On!

Edited by alexbuildit, 05 June 2015 - 07:47 PM.

Youtube Channel: ALEXBUILDIT PRODUCTIONS

Leader of the 501st, Pm for details.  

WolfPredator #2 Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:59 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6959 battles
Very nice guide man :medal:

E5, i'm coming!

eutectix #3 Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:06 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14385 battles
  • [GRIM]
Agreed with everything you said. I once tried to grind tiger 2 stock please don't make the same mistake. Took one game for me to free exp the turret and the second to get the second gun. I thought the long 88 will work decently at tier 8 since the penetration value is the same as the first 105mm, nope the Alpha increase for the first 105 is totally worth it for peekabooming people.

Silevern #4 Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:10 PM

To Valhalla! Witness me!

• Players
  • 17628 battles

Your guides are getting better and better, alex.

I am surprised that I never once tried sidescraping with the King Tiger. I assumed it had poor side armor like the Tiger and so I just played it by angling against weaker tanks and playing peek-a-boom against stronger enemies. I'll have to experiment with side scraping.

I'm only 20K away from the E75 though. The Tiger II was an insanely good tank, I get something like an Ace Mastery badge every two weeks or so.

Player935 #5 Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:52 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 46963 battles
  • [TOMB]
I hear rumors that they might and the Pak 42 on the tiger 2 but there just rumors.

Psychopathy #6 Posted 06 June 2015 - 02:00 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20362 battles
Thanks for the guide. Tiger II is one of my liking and E75 is a beast.

alexbuildit #7 Posted 06 June 2015 - 02:17 AM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17614 battles
  • [501ST]

View PostPsychopathy, on 05 June 2015 - 04:00 PM, said:

Thanks for the guide. Tiger II is one of my liking and E75 is a beast.

i know right? :) Thx 

Biff7annen #8 Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:35 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 17826 battles

Great article.  One question.  You pick the Gun Laying Drive over the Vertical Stabilizer.  May I ask why?  Before I equipped my Tiger 2 I did a GLD vs VS search and most recommended the VS.  interested in hearing your reason why.  

Again, great article.  Thanks.  

alexbuildit #9 Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:31 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17614 battles
  • [501ST]

View PostBiff7annen, on 07 June 2015 - 09:35 AM, said:

Great article.  One question.  You pick the Gun Laying Drive over the Vertical Stabilizer.  May I ask why?  Before I equipped my Tiger 2 I did a GLD vs VS search and most recommended the VS.  interested in hearing your reason why.  

Again, great article.  Thanks.  

Good question! GLD works at all times at 10% and VS only works while driving. As this isn't a "fire on the go" tank, i think it is better to utilize the GLD :)

Jjtt0105 #10 Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:26 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 2073 battles
very nice guide

jtemple507 #11 Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:49 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8582 battles

One problem with the history: You've got Porsche and Henschel's roles with the Tiger II switched around. Porsche had already made turrets, but when the VK45.02 (P) was not selected, the first 50 Henschel hulls were fitted with the Porsche turret because Henschel's turrets were not yet ready. The Porsche turret is the stock one in-game, while the Henschel turret is the upgraded one.

Otherwise a very good guide. I haven't tried sidescraping much because the side armor is still the same 80mm from the Tiger I. So I just play peek-a-boom or hide the lower glacis and wiggle that turret between shots.

Grinding Modules (order of research plan): ST-I (engine)SU-100 (guns, tracks, SU-100M1)

Grinding XP For Next Tier: T32 (108.8k of 169k)Centurion I (123.4k of 165k)VK2801 (24.5k of 50.8k)

Premiums/Keeper Tanks: IS-6, Panzer IV Anko SPType 59

Grinding credits for: IS-8T-54E75T28 Proto

Praeceladon #12 Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:41 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 19234 battles

View PostPlayer935, on 05 June 2015 - 09:52 PM, said:

I hear rumors that they might and the Pak 42 on the tiger 2 but there just rumors.

Why, it'd need to have a huge buff in penetration and be like 16rpm just to be barely useful on a tiger2

XHerr_GeneralX #13 Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:24 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 10189 battles
  • [514FW]

Nice guide for the most part. <o. I only skimmed it, but noticed a few things. Some of your history is flipped/incorrect (such as your flipping of Henschel and Porsche companies...) and I personally think that the guns should be the last thing you research... (Don't use the L/52... Ever. Continue using the 88mm to build up credits for that Entwicklung Standardpanzer!) but other than stuff like this, thanks for putting the time in to make this and I'm sure it helped some people struggling with this fantastic tank! <o

As always, nice to see you. <o Vader's Fist!

-Herr General

Commanding Hauptmann of S.Pz.Abt.514's Feuerwehr

XHerr_GeneralX #14 Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:26 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 10189 battles
  • [514FW]
Oh and your picture isn't a unit preparing for an assault it's just Erich Hasso Von Manteuffel messing about for some selfies with S.Pz.Abt.503... Forgive the slang but that's pretty much what that footage is of. Propaganda to show off the new tech ;)

-Herr General

Commanding Hauptmann of S.Pz.Abt.514's Feuerwehr

jtemple507 #15 Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:15 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8582 battles

View PostXHerr_GeneralX, on 10 August 2015 - 08:24 PM, said:

Nice guide for the most part. <o. I only skimmed it, but noticed a few things. Some of your history is flipped/incorrect (such as your flipping of Henschel and Porsche companies...) and I personally think that the guns should be the last thing you research... (Don't use the L/52... Ever. Continue using the 88mm to build up credits for that Entwicklung Standardpanzer!) but other than stuff like this, thanks for putting the time in to make this and I'm sure it helped some people struggling with this fantastic tank! <o

As always, nice to see you. <o Vader's Fist!

I only got the L/52 because I had IS's rushing me when they saw I only had the 88 and I'm not skilled enough to defend against a rush most times. 300 damage into the face of an IS made so much more difference than 200 or less, by making them think twice about venturing out in the open to attack me. The pen loss is almost non-existent, and credits weren't an issue with my IS-6 on hand.

I finally unlocked the L/68 and have played about 20 games in it since. I'm surprised it goes right through Tier 10's. Now, all I need are some good teammates and no unicum IS-6 drivers rushing me and I should be good.

Edited by jtemple507, 13 August 2015 - 01:16 PM.

Grinding Modules (order of research plan): ST-I (engine)SU-100 (guns, tracks, SU-100M1)

Grinding XP For Next Tier: T32 (108.8k of 169k)Centurion I (123.4k of 165k)VK2801 (24.5k of 50.8k)

Premiums/Keeper Tanks: IS-6, Panzer IV Anko SPType 59

Grinding credits for: IS-8T-54E75T28 Proto

exnavyeod #16 Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:12 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 4574 battles
  • [AAFMN]
Great guide dude!!!

Praeceladon #17 Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:20 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 19234 battles

You should under angle just a smidge on side scraping.
The king tiger is wider at the rear than it is at the front. Normal angling means the back end is angled a tiny tiny bit more than the front and that can make the side easy to pen at high tiers. same for any of the German tanks that use that hull design.

Just have to turn a few degrees less. Like 20-25 instead of 30 which is about where the gun goes over the front corner. If your gun is over the 90 degree corner and pointed at the enemy youre over angled and they have no trouble penning you. 

Edited by Praeceladon, 25 October 2015 - 07:28 PM.

_S3MPRIAN_ #18 Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:08 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11332 battles
Just what I needed! Keep it up man!

musicrockinrobin #19 Posted 05 July 2016 - 11:19 AM

Private

• Players
  • 23163 battles
  • [EIB]
Thanks for the advice, some very useful stuff. 07 ..501RV

gargoyle_2200 #20 Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:20 PM

The Garg

• Players
  • 14557 battles
  • [SRT_]

View Postalexbuildit, on 05 June 2015 - 12:47 PM, said:

Whats up tankers? Today we will take a look at the Tiger II "King Tiger" German tier eight heavy tank. A true master of side scraping if ever there was one. To view my other extensive articles, click the link! JagdtigerPz. Kpfw 38h 735 (f)A-32Valentine IIPanther 1

Tiger II's preparing for a ground assault

History: An arms race is in commencement in late 1943, and both the Allies and the Germans are in a fight to produce the most superior armored vehicle. While the Tiger and Panther projects both clearly beat anything the allies had to offer, at least on the western front, the Germans knew these tanks would only remain superior for around a year. At this point, if the allies continued their current path, the tiger 1 and panther tanks would only be as good, instead of better than, the forces of the Americans. Hitler foresaw this and placed an order for a tank that was like the panther, yet had more armor and was less about speed. Both Porsche and Henschel vied for the contract, and the result was two different tanks the Tiger II and the Vk 45.02b, though the latter is a topic for another time. Henschel thought it was a fact they had the contract in the bag and started producing turrets…. and were shocked when the Porsche design was picked. They didn't want the turrets to go to waste and gave them to Porsche to place on their tanks. This turret is the "stock" one you start out with, of which 50 of the 492 made had. This tank suffered MANY of the same issues that the Germans faced late in war, they focused and over-engineered every aspect BUT the engine. The result was many break downs and loss of combat time. When they worked they accrued many combat medals, and stroke fear into the heart of the allied tanker. This tank used an experimental range-finder that helped the commander focus in on an opponents tank, a feature then planned to carry over to other German tanks. The standard M4 and M4A3E8 could not reliable penetrate the front of the tigers unless they got very close, in which case they were likely to be destroyed by the large cannon of the "royal tiger". The Tiger tank was ahead of its day in many ways, but wasn't fully used to its full potential due to inexperienced crews, and loss of air supremacy. Their are still some functioning Tiger 2's and many non-functioning ones that can be seen in many museums around the world even today.

[This review is for a maxed out tank, though I give a suggested upgrade path]

Manouveravability: 5/10 (Maybach HL 230 TRM P45) Honestly I was surprised at this tanks maneuverability once fully upgraded…. It isn't fast by any definition of the word, but certainly isn't slow either. It weighs a hefty 71.26 tons and has a slow 27 hull traverse and even slower 16 degrees of turret traverse. This makes it vulnerable to COD. It does have a 38K/ph speed limit, and it is only partially a lie. 34 K/ph is attained (on average) on flat level ground, and can be accelerated when going downhill. It easily reaches and holds this speed, but turning/traverse is definitely a down-side. So overall it is "meh" on maneuverability, neither good, nor bad due to turning speed. 

Firepower: 8/10 (Gun 10,5 cm Kw.K L/68)  Very good for it's tier due to decent pen and aim time/dispersion and good damage. It has a average (before buffing, crew skills, etc) 5.71 rpm at 310 average damage with AP and 420 with HE. This is 1770.1 average damage per minute, not too shabby. Its aiming time is a respectable 2.3 seconds and dispersion is 0.34. The penetration is more than sufficient for its tier, you will however, want to bring some APCR for tougher tier nine and ten targets. Penetration is AP 225, APCR 285, and HE an ok 60. This gun will hold its own in any battle, but makes the most difference when highest tier. So overall, it is a slightly above average gun with good stats. 

Armor 9/10 Nice armor…..if you know what you are doing and how to use it. Side-scraping (AKA tanking) is KEY. It has a respectable 150mm of frontal angled armor, and shares the same weak spots as the Jagdtiger's due to having the same hull. The lower glacis is a bullet trap, and most tanks can penetrate it. So if their is no-where to side-scrape, hide that Glacis. The MG port is weak as well I believe. Another weak spot is the crew hatch on top, though some-what hard to abuse. A even harder to abuse but good spot to aim is the turret cheeks of the Tiger 2, not the frontal plate that has the gun, but the side plates that protrude on both sides. Side-scraping, hiding your lower glacis, and not showing the wimpy 80mm of side and rear armor are must-does to prevent shells from penning. Truly good armor in the hands of a pro, but not good armor if stuck in the wide open with nowhere to angle. 

Upgrade Path: Ouch…..this tank is actually quite bad stock. That turret is HORRID. I recommend upgrading that tier nine turret first and foremost. Because you can't be useful if you can't pen anything get the next tier eight gun. The second gun can and will hold its own for a grind, so get the engine and treads. Your role has changed from support to front line at this time, and now you need the best gun. Many people look at the high XP cost of this and just grind E75, but this is a mistake. GET THAT GUN. You will want a better gun for E75 anyway, and this carries over. (As a side note, these guns are the same ones-mostly-that are used in the MAUS line, so it is a two-for-one deal to get em now). So in review best turret--> second best gun-->best engine-->best treads-->best gun (DONT MAKE THIS OPTIONAL. GET IT.)--> E75.

Gameplay: This is a front liner at top tier, and a support when low tier as the armor won't help in low tier games. Get to a frontline position with support, and side-scrape. It is better if you can hide your lower glacis and side-scrape at the same time. If you suspect someone is aiming at a turret weak spot while reloading, angle your turret ever so slightly left and right. This changes the weak spots and sets your armor up for success. Beware flanking and COD attempts as you traverse speed is abysmally slow. This is why you travel with support. Try to lead a force against the opponents strongest force, and knock em down. Peek a boom is recommended anytime as it adds to the survivability and combat time if your tank. If your opponents seem week and ready to fall back, don't be afraid to lead the charge, and route them. This is the tip of the spear, not the support. Again my best piece of advice is HIDE YOUR GLACIS. I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH. When low tier, support the charge, load APCR, and hit weak spots. Work on already damaged vehicles and take them out. Follow the main push, wherever that is. Stay with support at all times, alone you are strong, but together you are unstoppable.

Ammo type: 20% APCR 10% HE and 70% AP

Equipment: 1. Vents  2. Ammo Rammer  3.Gun Laying Drive

Consumables: 1. Multi-repair kit 2. German Chocolate 3. Adrenaline

I hope you enjoyed this extensive article, please leave feedback! I enjoy constructive criticism. Have a good day, and Blitz On!

Couple points that I thought were misleading or flat out wrong.

First, looking at the stats of the tank's guns it looks like the second tier eight gun actually has worse penetration than the first. I may try it anyway, but I might skip this one while doing the stock grind. Maybe it was different back when you wrote this. 

Second, I was led to believe by another article (and my own experience thus far) that the stock grind isn't that bad. The stock gun can stand up for itself, you get the maxed engine since it was on the Tiger (or maybe I got that from the light line, I don't know), and the traverse doesn't improve much with the tracks. The turret is the biggest problem like you said, but even so I haven't been having problems with it since I never thought of the Tiger II as a hull down tank. Anyway, I've found the stock grind to be relatively painless so far. Granted, I've only played three battles in it, but since it basically plays the same as the Tiger (at least when stock) except a little slower and more armored it hasn't been that bad.

The other article also said that the traverse speed was good enough to keep up with CoDing meds and even CoD some slow heavies. This was for PC. Is it much different here?

Other than that, good guide. It was helpful. Gotta get my stats up in this thing now. :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users