Alexbuildit's informative guide to the Hellcat

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

alexbuildit #1 Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:10 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17614 battles
  • [501ST]

Hello tankers! What's up? Today we will delve into one of the hardest tanks to play, that has great strengths and equally great weaknesses. The trick is to minimize exposure and capitalize on the strengths. To read my equally in-depth and long articles, refer to my list and click the links! Tiger IIJagdtigerPz. Kpfw 38h 735 (f)A-32,  Valentine IIPanther 1.

A Hellcat sometime after D-Day

History: It is early 1943, and the Allies are growing increasingly frustrated with the germans due to their tactics and armored vehicles. The Germans kept upping the ante with heavier, and heavier armored vehicles, with the result that the later german tanks (panther, tiger, "elefant" (ferdinand)) were impenetrable frontally. Even the Pz-4's were difficult to penetrate at distances. So the allies determined that they were in need of a tank that could be rushed to battlefields and could blast a hole in any tank the Germans put up. The Americans put in a order to General Motors, specifically Buick, to create a tank with a 75mm gun that could be rushed to any battlefield in a  small allotment of time. Buick built the tank, but the American generals found the 75mm gun to be insufficient and ordered a 76mm gun to be placed on the chassis. Due to the request for speed, the tank was developed with no more than one inch of armor on any spot of the tank. Its top speed was 92 k/ph…. The maxed turret is not fictional, but was not put into place until post-WW2. Despite the requirement to be able to penetrate the later German tanks, they had in real life a very difficult time doing this. Side shots into the enemy tanks was the best choice if they could manage it. The tank had an unique issue that few tanks can claim: instead of being un-normmally hot inside the tank, an experimental coolant system for the engine vented into the crew compartment essentiality turning it into a freezer. This was good for hot summer days, but in the winter campaign in France it became dangerously cold in a  hellcat due to the open top and cooling system. This tank had the greatest kills/kill ratio of any American TD in real life in the war and was subsequently labeled the best TD for the Americans of WW2. There were 2507 made of which many were given to other countries and many are still in operational order. They can be seen in various museums around the world even today.

[This review is for a maxed out tank though a suggested upgrade path is listed]

Maneuverability: 7/10 (Engine Wright Continental R-975C4) I bet you thought I would give this a ten…. Yes it's top speed is a HEFTY 65 K/ph which it easily reaches and holds….but it's traverse speed of 30 degrees is ok, and it's turret traverse is an ABYSMAL 16 degrees. (In real life there was a wheel the crew members had to turn to traverse, hence the slow movement). It weighs a very light 20.35 tons, and has a 460 HP engine. So all but the traverse is more than exceptional. But with great speed comes great responsibility…. don't use this to overextend or scout. You should never try to COD an opponent due to traverse speed and lousy armor.  Overall, high speed but super sluggish traverse.

Firepower: 8/10 (Gun 90mm AT Gun M3) A very punchy gun, not geared towards DPS, which is ok, but towards penetration. Damage per shot is anywhere between 169 and 281 with AP (same for APCR), and 202-337 with HE. These are not bad stats, but are only a little above average. The penetration is superb at 120-200 for AP a phenomenal 182-304 for APCR, and a relatively decent 34-56 with HE. (Keep an eye out for weakly armored lower tier spots on enemies….HE is sometimes a viable option). Reload is 6.17 rounds per minute, a decent though not overwhelming amount. This leads to a total of 1388.25 total damage per minute.High accuracy at 1.3 aiming time, but below average dispersion at 0.35 per 100m.  Not horrible overall. Only on higher tiers in APCR necessary, so don't pack too much. Overall, a high pen, decent punchy gun. Never going to get those one shot kills (minus ammo racks and fail-toons) but you can definitely put some holes in the higher tier vehicles.

Armor: 3/10 Armor? What armor? You mean the 13mm of frontal/side/rear armor that is a HE trap? The armor that leads to crew deaths? Module damage? Fire? Yup. Armor is the pits…. EXCEPT the upgraded turret… One can hull down with 76mm of frontal turret armor, 31mm of side armor, and 44 of rear turret armor. This is the only reason I didn't rate this tank 0/10 as far as armor is concerned. So hull down whenever possible. This tank has paper tissue armor, so forget side scraping, and angling. Only tactics that are feasible is hull down, and run-and-gun, and sniping. Play this tank like it has no armor in the early part of the match , and enjoy the results.

Suggested upgrade path: You start out with the abysmal turret and armament. So grind out those guns first. Your play style shifts as the reload time differs from closer to further away combat. Once you have the better turret, grind out those engines: you will tell a big difference upon completion of the tier five one. Then get the tier seven gun, and then the treads. To the observant eye you may have noticed that the treads show no shift in stats at all and are just a XP waste. Not exactly true due to small unmentioned things they improve, like, acceleration, and an increased performance on different types of ground. Don't skip it, just do it. So overall: Tier five gun-->  first tier six gun--> second tier six gun--> best turret--> better engine--> best engine--> top gun--> top treads (don't you dare skip those)--> T25/2.

Gameplay: This is a sniper early in game, and a second line support later in game. When you spawn, go to a high place (if available) thats reasonably safe for the moment, and hold still. The tank has an amazing camouflage rating and is hard to spot. This makes it a good sniper. However, if your team decides they won't scout, return to the main force, a hellcat on a hill thats been spotted is as good as dead. People won't hesitate to switch to HE when they see you so prepare to take module/crew damage. Make sure there is always a tank ahead of you, this keeps you from being the first one spotted. When he spots the opponents get to a position thats good for peek a boom and fire away. Try to keep a sniper role if possible until the opponents have around three tanks left or you see a opportunity to flank. Use your speed to get safe in their rear, hull down, and fire away. If their are super weak weak spots switch to HE. I have had good success with this. If at any point you get separated front the main force, and you aren't flanking, get back ASAP. A lone hellcat can't do much if spotted. This is a true support tank and excels at sniping. Focus on the people with the most health and are highest tier, as your penetration can be put to good use penning what other teammates can't. Whatever you do IF SPOTTED RELOCATE ASAP. Pick a new spot and continue the harassment. If someones complaining about the armor, they are doing it wrong. Yes, you can hull down, but the turret isn't impregnable. TL;DR Support is the name of the game, shoot the people with most HP as you can pen what others might not be able to. Don't get spotted. 

Ammo composition: 30% HE 50% AP 20% APCR

Equipment: 1. Gun Rammer 2. Gun laying drive 3. Camo net

Consumables: 1. Multi repair kit  2. Adrenaline, 3. Case of cola 

I hope you learned something from this! Please tell me what you would do differently! I enjoy friendly constructive criticism. Have a good day and Blitz On!

Edited by alexbuildit, 09 June 2015 - 10:23 PM.

Youtube Channel: ALEXBUILDIT PRODUCTIONS

Leader of the 501st, Pm for details.  

Aivris #2 Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:16 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8126 battles
  • [PBKAC]

Awesome! Thanks for the guide on the Hellkitty - very well written, and the section on its history was interesting too. I never knew about that cooling system. :great:

I think I'll give the T110E4 line a go.

dilusions #3 Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:21 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15554 battles

View PostFog_Cruiser_Australia, on 09 June 2015 - 01:16 PM, said:

Awesome! Thanks for the guide on the Hellkitty - very well written, and the section on its history was interesting too. I never knew about that cooling system. :great:

I think I'll give the T110E4 line a go.

I'm working on my T25-AT right now.

Player935 #4 Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:22 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 46963 battles
  • [TOMB]
Nice. this can be used for the hellcat that I bought.

nostuck2150 #5 Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:34 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 42548 battles
  • [SPUDX]
Always enjoy your information thanks.  +1

TOMAS_legend_Xeraux #6 Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:20 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 3312 battles

Great guide, +1, but really? More HE than APCR? No thank you.

And it's a gun rammer, for the record.

PC super-unicum

Retired Blitz unicum Current Blitz pubbie

Blitz garage:

M5 Stuart, M4 Sherman, T82, Pz II J, BT-7 A, A-20, T-34-85 Victory, KV-2, IS, IS-6, SU-122-44, Cruiser IV, Centurion I, AT 15A, Ke-Ho, O-47

alexbuildit #7 Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:23 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17614 battles
  • [501ST]

View PostNiemetz, on 09 June 2015 - 12:20 PM, said:

Great guide, +1, but really? More HE than APCR? No thank you.

And it's a gun rammer, for the record.

Lol..... Personally I never felt the need for APCR, and only keep it for emergencies.... And yes, HE does come in handy once in a  while against tier fives.... :) And Yes, ty will change it to gun rammer. 

Yfilc #8 Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:42 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 12321 battles
  • [DD-R]

"the American generals found the 75mm gun to be insufficient and ordered a 76mm gun to be placed on the chassis."

Thought this was funny, how is 1mm extra going to help??

Surprisingly enough, the hellcat can actually bounce some stuff. I have heard of and seen people bouncing SU-100Y shots! I wonder if it has the auto-bounce angle even if its against a gun that has a caliber 3x bigger than 13mm. Because that negates the auto-bounce right?

tinmanic #9 Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:08 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 30039 battles
  • [SPUD]
Thanks! Well written and very interesting! I was just murdered in my new T29 by a Hellcat - now I know why. 

Stealth & Tinman looking spudly

My Stats:

Bville #10 Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:52 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 5695 battles
Might buy it Back after I get my T32.

MowHawk_Warbird #11 Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:40 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6013 battles
  • [ACDC]

Why so much HE? I carry 30% APCR rest AP

Never felt the need for HE and I spam gold often

Closed Beta Tester for WOT: Generals

Proud LOTR fan

Also proud member of [SPUD]

BEST WEBSITE NA

alexbuildit #12 Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:23 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17614 battles
  • [501ST]

View PostMowHawk_Warbird, on 09 June 2015 - 07:40 PM, said:

Why so much HE? I carry 30% APCR rest AP

Never felt the need for HE and I spam gold often

Try switching to he once in a while..... You would be surprised some places it will go through in low tier matches. :)

SteveRose73 #13 Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:16 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 7037 battles
  • [SN100]
Excellent tutorial, found your equipment choices do suit my style and got first Master on very next battle....thx

alexbuildit #14 Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:41 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17614 battles
  • [501ST]

View PostSteveRose73, on 30 August 2015 - 04:16 AM, said:

Excellent tutorial, found your equipment choices do suit my style and got first Master on very next battle....thx

Cool :)

dont_open_dead_inside #15 Posted 21 October 2015 - 04:49 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11614 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View PostYfilc, on 10 June 2015 - 12:42 AM, said:

"the American generals found the 75mm gun to be insufficient and ordered a 76mm gun to be placed on the chassis."

Surprisingly enough, the hellcat can actually bounce some stuff. I have heard of and seen people bouncing SU-100Y shots! I wonder if it has the auto-bounce angle even if its against a gun that has a caliber 3x bigger than 13mm. Because that negates the auto-bounce right?

once I bounced a shot from the Hellcat while in my MS-1. RNG favored me that day

f9Yj0xl.gif

alexbuildit #16 Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:00 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17614 battles
  • [501ST]

View Postdogfightmaster03, on 20 October 2015 - 06:49 PM, said:

once I bounced a shot from the Hellcat while in my MS-1. RNG favored me that day

Lol

cheasesteak #17 Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:10 PM

Lackey to the Barons of Entrenched Corporate Greed

• Players
  • 22568 battles
  • [COD-R]

View PostYfilc, on 10 June 2015 - 12:42 AM, said:

Velocity.  Aprox. 600 m/s for the 75mm and 800 m/s for the 76mm.

Edited to note that the mm is the diameter of the round.  Does not relate to the amount of charge each round uses.  Also, barrel length is a factor, and the 76mm has a longer barrel.

Edited by cheasesteak, 23 October 2015 - 06:13 PM.

Epstein didn’t kill himself

cheasesteak #18 Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:15 PM

Lackey to the Barons of Entrenched Corporate Greed

• Players
  • 22568 battles
  • [COD-R]

Also interesting to note that the 75mm gun was not completely phased out by war end.  Towards the end, the main threat to US armor wasn't German tanks, which were becoming increasingly rare, but rather antitank guns and infantry antitank weapons. The 75mm gun had a more effective HE round.

Also interesting to note, that due to a lack of armored targets, US Tank destroyers were often employed as indirect fire artillery.  US tank destroyer battalions were originally towed AT guns, and crews were artillery trained, not armor trained.  Many tracked TD crews retained these artillery skills, and the TDs could be used as artillery as a secondary mission.

Edited by cheasesteak, 23 October 2015 - 06:17 PM.

Epstein didn’t kill himself

alexbuildit #19 Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:37 AM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17614 battles
  • [501ST]
I need to update this with the better rof it got. 

jrock651 #20 Posted 20 November 2015 - 01:21 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6244 battles

View PostYfilc, on 09 June 2015 - 06:42 PM, said:

You must have seen my battle on canal. I bounced the SU-100Y shot killed it, tracked a Jagdpanther, Then his platoon mate. I escaped looped around and killed a T29 and a T-43 then I died from the jagdpanther.

Trust me I'm the doctor. Respect to anyone who gets the reference.

Garage: FURY, T110E5, Löwe, T34, T2 Light, TOG II*, Su-100Y, Pz 38H, M3 Light, and Type 59.

"Untutored courage is useless in the face of educated bullets." George S. Patton.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users