beginners guide sidescraping

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

FallingGround #1 Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:31 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 857 battles

What is side scraping?

Side scraping is a technique that is used to allow you to shoot your enemy while taking minimal to no damage in return. When you side scrape, you expose your side at an extreme angle; usually almost vertical to your enemy, while positioning yourself so that you can shoot your enemy.

What does side scraping look like?

How do I successfully side scrape?

To successfully side scrape, you will need a building or an obstacle beside you and your enemy in front of you. What you can do as a beginner is drive up to the edge of the building or obstacle then reverse away from it at a slight angle. This may take a few tries but you will get it eventually. What you want is your hull (front of your tank) facing the obstacle so that the enemy cant take shots at it. If you do this correctly, your side should automatically be angled correctly.

Pay close attention to the edge of the building and where my tracks are relevant to it in the example above. my outer track is basically in like with the edge of that building. This should help you with the angling of your tank.

What tanks are good at side scraping?

Many tanks are not good at side scraping. For example, my M103. Side scraping with the M103 still works but it isn't as effective. Tanks that are basically made to side scrape are the german heavies. The Tiger 1, Tiger 2, E-75, E-100 are all great at side scraping. The sides of these tanks naturally suit side scraping.

Ending notes

It is always better to side scrape than to poke out from behind a building hull first. If you get penetrated when side scraping, try re-angling your tank which could help. Also, don't force yourself to have your turret facing the enemy. Sometimes its better to wait for them to come into your gun view. This is because sometimes the enemy is in a position where you cannot shoot them when your side scraping well. Forcing yourself to be able to shoot at your enemy may expose your hull or you may angle your side wrong and instead of side scraping your exposing the side of your tank.

ChunkySquirrel #2 Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:48 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 12000 battles
  • [H2TED]

View PostFallingGround, on 10 July 2014 - 09:31 PM, said:

What is side scraping?

Side scraping is a technique that is used to allow you to shoot your enemy while taking minimal to no damage in return. When you side scrape, you expose your side at an extreme angle; usually almost vertical to your enemy, while positioning yourself so that you can shoot your enemy.

To successfully side scrape, you will need a building or an obstacle beside you and your enemy in front of you. What you can do as a beginner is drive up to the edge of the building or obstacle then reverse away from it at a slight angle. This may take a few tries but you will get it eventually. What you want is your hull (front of your tank) facing the obstacle so that the enemy cant take shots at it. If you do this correctly, your side should automatically be angled correctly.

Pay close attention to the edge of the building and where my tracks are relevant to it in the example above. my outer track is basically in like with the edge of that building. This should help you with the angling of your tank.

Many tanks are not good at side scraping. For example, my M103. Side scraping with the M103 still works but it isn't as effective. Tanks that are basically made to side scrape are the german heavies. The Tiger 1, Tiger 2, E-75, E-100 are all great at side scraping. The sides of these tanks naturally suit side scraping.

Ending notes

It is always better to side scrape than to poke out from behind a building hull first. If you get penetrated when side scraping, try re-angling your tank which could help. Also, don't force yourself to have your turret facing the enemy. Sometimes its better to wait for them to come into your gun view. This is because sometimes the enemy is in a position where you cannot shoot them when your side scraping well. Forcing yourself to be able to shoot at your enemy may expose your hull or you may angle your side wrong and instead of side scraping your exposing the side of your tank.

You should note or I will it is also good to angle your turret with your tank ( unless ur tank has a strong frontal turret ) To maximize angling. This is a great thing to do for example I'm the E-100 or Mouse

Wenn vor uns ein feindlicher Panzer erscheint,
Wird Vollgas gegeben und ran an den Feind.
Was gilt denn unser Leben für uns'res Reiches Heer? Ja, Reiches Heer.

Für Deutschland zu sterben ist uns're höchste Ehr'.

Panbun #3 Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:19 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8075 battles
  • [PBKAC]

Thanks for the guide to side scraping. +1

There were a few people asking in the General Chat Channel about what it is and how to do it. Hopefully, they see this thread.

DeadlyAsians #4 Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:52 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 703 battles
Dam... Now pubby be side-scrapping, how am I suppose seal club play now:O

EPICANDY0131 #5 Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:25 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 4817 battles

View PostDeadlyAsians, on 11 July 2014 - 05:52 AM, said:

Dam... Now pubby be side-scrapping, how am I suppose seal club play now:O

Lol

Me too.

But they still take shots anyways, so who cares.

EPICANDY0131[FLYNT]: IS-8; T-54; T32; Tiger II; KV-1S; M4A2E4; T82; M3 Light; T18; BT-2; +2 slots

Recruiter & Trainer of Flyinite

~PLEASE PM ME IF YOU WANT TO JOIN!!!~

(post stats please)

UnModernized #6 Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:18 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 2151 battles
Great guide, more fun in pub now that I can take some shots to the side on my tiger 2

Str8UpJack #7 Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15084 battles

So the WOT PC wiki goes into this subject but also references something called reverse angling and says it's particularly useful for the upper tier american heavies, which I am currently working through.  But there is no visual reference given for "reverse angling"... http://wiki.wargamin...Reverse_Angling

so does reverse angling mean to just get into side scraping position but with the rear of your tank facing the building... like this -

( I had a little sketch that is hosted on Dropbox but the administrator doesn't allow links to dropbox... wth? is that about!!?  )  anyway, I'm sure someone able to answer this knows what I'm getting at.

link to image https://dl.dropboxus...68/IMG_7437.jpg - maybe it will work this way

Edited by Str8UpJack, 25 July 2014 - 03:29 PM.

Mobcrush.com/Str8UpJack / Founding Member of Triarii iii 

EPICANDY0131 #8 Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:05 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 4817 battles

To clarify what Str8UpJack means:

Here's a screenshot.

Reverse Sidescraping

Longer tanks usually do better. (forward mounted turrets also)

Did fairly well in this game, actually.

Link to more screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/U1OQm

EPICANDY0131[FLYNT]: IS-8; T-54; T32; Tiger II; KV-1S; M4A2E4; T82; M3 Light; T18; BT-2; +2 slots

Recruiter & Trainer of Flyinite

~PLEASE PM ME IF YOU WANT TO JOIN!!!~

(post stats please)

vSGF_Jovin #9 Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:25 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 13479 battles
  • [FLOOP]
Great guide man!

Will quack for xp. 

My YouTube Channel

Fallenworld #10 Posted 02 January 2015 - 09:10 PM

Private

• Players
  • 3604 battles
Doing good work here. A quick question, where did you get that style of joystick for the game? the one that comes with the apple one is terribly unclear about what angle you actually need to have the stick to initiate a pivot turn.

Player_5773117413 #11 Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:38 PM

Professional Tinfoil Hatter

• Players
  • 26473 battles
  • [IRD]

Bumping this thread.

Good guide, I rly didn't know what sidescraping was till I read this and I think that this is a great resource for all players.

The E-25, skill ceiling so high it's in the next tier (basically, it's OP when used to its max. potential)

Just another demo account, nothing to see here

"Say what you like, but stop pissing on my back and telling me it's raining." Blartch

"[This Quote Could Be Yours! Inquire today! Or any day, for that matter]" - [This Could Be You!]

Jhooud #12 Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:14 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 1969 battles

View PostFallenworld, on 02 January 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

Doing good work here. A quick question, where did you get that style of joystick for the game? the one that comes with the apple one is terribly unclear about what angle you actually need to have the stick to initiate a pivot turn.

Ditto on Fallen's question.  Is that an Android joystick?  Or a mod?  Or something?  It does look more precise than the default iOS joystick.

Regardless, great guide!  Many thanks!

Dude, suckin' at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.

mehliveat #13 Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:58 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 300 battles

View PostJhooud, on 27 February 2015 - 11:14 PM, said:

Ditto on Fallen's question.  Is that an Android joystick?  Or a mod?  Or something?  It does look more precise than the default iOS joystick.

Regardless, great guide!  Many thanks!

Do you mean the joystick in the screens above?  They were the stock/normal joystick before 1.1 or 1.2.  They were a pain to use, you can't just seemlessly go from turning to stop n traverse

Matanakau #14 Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:01 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 18134 battles
  • [USMC1]

And here I thought side scraping was what you did to a TD so it couldn't rotate to face you.  What's funny is the tank in the example photo is the one spot in Desert Sands where I always go when on that side of the map.  I've always peek-a-boomed though, and had my tracks hit and often taken full frontal shots to my glacis.  Good to know now that I can deflect many shots using this technique.

Thanks.

Space_Ape_Marksman #15 Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:12 PM

Professional Löwe Driver

• Players
  • 39821 battles
  • [FLOOP]

View PostFallingGround, on 11 July 2014 - 01:31 AM, said:

What is side scraping?

Ending notes

View PostFallingGround, on 11 July 2014 - 01:31 AM, said:

What is side scraping?

Ending notes

good guide really helpful !!

"If God be for us, who can be against us?" Wargaming. Wargaming is against us.

I get carried by teams.

TankHead76 #16 Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:09 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 7558 battles

Great guide - you really need to see it to understand.  I would be good to get some pics of what it looks like when an enemy is sidescraping, so you don't waste your shots, although I'm sure you can imagine.  

I find the best way to sidescrape is to get into position, check that your front glacis is not exposed, and then DON'T move, just move your turret.  I used to move forward to hide more of my sides between shots, but it's not a good idea.  By staying still, you might be able to go invisible between shots if you're far enough way, and by keeping your side exposed, you're more likely for enemies to keep wasting shots at your side.  I like to keep my turret facing the enemy, but wiggle to increase the chances of mantlet bounce - but I can see that German heavies are better off angling the turret between shots.

Edited by TankHead76, 27 May 2015 - 04:10 PM.

IssacMoore #17 Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:42 AM

Private

• Players
  • 4123 battles
  • [HEAD]
This'll come in handy. I thought side scraping meant scraping along the side of a tank with your track so the track took the damage and you didn't lose HP on the ram

Also tagged with beginners, guide, sidescraping

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users