Beginners guide to ammunition

Beginners guide ammunition ap apcr he shell

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

FallingGround #1 Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:39 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 857 battles

Many people have been wondering what the ammo types mean, what they do and what the heck is the difference so I put out this small guide to help. There are 3 main types of ammunition used in World of Tanks Blitz. The armor piercing (AP), high explosive (HE) and armor piercing composite rigid (APCR).

AP ammo: This is the armor piercing (AP) round. The AP round is the default for most tanks in World of Tanks Blitz. The name of the ammo type is what its used for - tank killing. Because of this, the AP ammo type is your main damage dealer which means you should carry 85-90% AP shells. The only way to do damage using these rounds is to penetrate the enemy. If you don't penetrate, you don't do damage. Keep in mind that AP shells lose penetration the farther they travel. So for example if my AP round has a penetration value of 90mm at a distance of 200 meters, it may only have 85mm of penetration at 350 meters. The AP shell is also affected by normalization of 5 degrees which means it will bounce if the armor is too angled.

Cost: Credits

Damage: Average

Penetration: Average

Shell Velocity: Average

HE ammo: The high explosive (HE) round is basically what the name says it is. It has low penetration but explodes upon contact. HE ammo is usually the secondary ammo type and you should only carry a few of these rounds. HE shells have low penetration value and so their main use is to damage tanks that you cannot damage with your AP shells. The HE shell does minimal damage if it doesn't penetrate but it usually doesn't bounce/ricochet of the armor either. If the round does penetrate, it does more damage than the AP round and will explode inside the tank which means it will deal damage to modules and crew members. I'll give an example of the damage an HE shell may do if it does not penetrate. Let us imagine a tank with 50mm of armor. Your HE shell has a penetration value of 30mm with an average damage of 200. You hit the armor and to no ones surprise, it doesn't penetrate. The enemy tank takes 30 damage though. That is because the splash damage from the explosion did damage to the enemy tank. Now lets imagine the same tank with the same armor value but this time your HE shell has a penetration value of 70mm. This time when you shoot at your target, the HE penetrates and now you have done 200 damage and along with that you have damaged the ammo rack, set the tank on fire and wounded the driver. That is how HE shells work.

Cost: Credits

Damage: High

Penetration: Low

Shell velocity: Low

APCR ammo: The armor piercing composite rigid ammo is just like your armor piercing except it has more penetration. It may have more penetration, but the damage stays the same. The APCR shell will bounce less than the AP since it only has a normalization value of 2 degrees. 1 cool characteristic about the APCR shell that many people dont know about is that it travels faster than your normal AP round so you don't need to guide the target as much. APCR ammo is not recommended for longer ranged shots since it loses more penetration the farther it goes than AP shells do. I'm going to give an example for this as well. You have 2 ammo types. the AP and the APCR. Your AP shell has 100mm of penetration at 100 meters and your APCR round has 110mm of penetration at 100 meters. You shoot at a target 200 meters away and the penetration of value of the AP shell and the APCR shell both lose penetration. The AP shell is now effectively penetrating 90mm of armor and the APCR is effectively penetrating 95mm of armor. It already has lost more penetration than the AP shell did but once the tank is 300 meters away, the AP shell is penetrating 78mm of armor compared to the APCR which now has 70mm of penetration. One last thing to note. This is usually a premium ammo type but on some tier 10 mediums it is the default ammo type so it would cost credits. Keep in mind you can buy APCR with credits instead of gold but it would cost quite a bit.

Cost: Credits and/or gold

Damage: Average

Penetration: High

Shell velocity: High

Heat shells coming later. My bad.

Edited by FallingGround, 12 July 2014 - 05:28 AM.

Wake_Island #2 Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 851 battles
When you get rich you can spam gold and turn the game for your team.
#TeamGroucho

DeadlyAsians #3 Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:14 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 703 battles

View PostWake_Island, on 11 July 2014 - 11:41 PM, said:

When you get rich you can spam gold and turn the game for your team.

^ vouch for this method, it works.

EPICANDY0131 #4 Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:16 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 4817 battles

View PostDeadlyAsians, on 12 July 2014 - 12:14 AM, said:

^ vouch for this method, it works.

Costly, but you don't care when you have an E4 for free.

EPICANDY0131[FLYNT]: IS-8; T-54; T32; Tiger II; KV-1S; M4A2E4; T82; M3 Light; T18; BT-2; +2 slots

Recruiter & Trainer of Flyinite

~PLEASE PM ME IF YOU WANT TO JOIN!!!~

(post stats please)

EPICANDY0131 #5 Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:18 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 4817 battles

Oh yeah, I'm sorry OP, but you have missed out on HEAT ammunition.

I have covered it in my guide though, if anyone needs to really know ATM.

EPICANDY0131[FLYNT]: IS-8; T-54; T32; Tiger II; KV-1S; M4A2E4; T82; M3 Light; T18; BT-2; +2 slots

(post stats please)

FallingGround #6 Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:26 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 857 battles

View PostEPICANDY0131, on 11 July 2014 - 06:18 PM, said:

Oh yeah, I'm sorry OP, but you have missed out on HEAT ammunition.

I have covered it in my guide though, if anyone needs to really know ATM.

First off, I would like to apologize for making this guide when you already have one. I had no clue you made one. And also, i thought WotB didnt have HEAT shells?

EPICANDY0131 #7 Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:01 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 4817 battles

View PostFallingGround, on 12 July 2014 - 01:26 AM, said:

First off, I would like to apologize for making this guide when you already have one. I had no clue you made one. And also, i thought WotB didnt have HEAT shells?

The howitzers get them.

buy a T18. you will see.

(post stats please)

FallingGround #8 Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:28 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 857 battles

View PostEPICANDY0131, on 11 July 2014 - 10:01 PM, said:

The howitzers get them.

buy a T18. you will see.

Ill have to update my guide then...

zoom900 #9 Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:36 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4565 battles
  • [MNLX]
Makes me wish you can equip HE on tier 1 burst guns.

What tank is most suited for the jungle?

The Tiger:teethhappy:

Also tagged with Beginners, guide, ammunition, ap, apcr, he, shell

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users